Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Managers 17:37 - Nov 13 with 948 viewsburnsieespana

Been a busy time in recent days with sacked Managers!
Notts County looking for third this season!
Managers on 18:12 - Nov 13 with 937 viewsLeadbelly

McGreal is the third longest tenured manager in League 2

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Managers on 19:50 - Nov 13 with 924 viewsbwildered

Phil Brown also sacked at weekend by Swindon Town .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Managers on 13:25 - Nov 14 with 895 viewsburnsieespana

Managers on 18:12 - Nov 13 by Leadbelly

McGreal is the third longest tenured manager in League 2

Staggering!
Managers on 14:34 - Nov 14 with 889 viewsnoah4x4

Let's be clear about one thing. Phil Parkinson had almost two seasons in charge before he took us up a division in his third. I am hoping John McGreal can replicate this and so far so good in his third season.

Today, managers inherit squads and they can't change them unless in a transfer window. Even then they have to cancel contracts to get rid of players which is costly (or sell players) to get the total playing budget below Financial Fair Pay wage limits that depend on gates/revenue. Shipping people out on loan might ease the burden if another club picks up the wages, bit nobody wants has-beens, only youth . It hence might take three years to mould any squad into a winning side. Kewell and Brown have not had chance to get to a transfer window!

I think Robbie Cowling has been justified in supporting McGreal. There were initial moans about his inexperience (but we will see if an experienced Mr Lambert can save Ispwich!) but most of the moans were about John McGreal being ex-Ipswich (again, parallels again with Mr Lambert). But Lambert was our most successful manager based on percentage career wins admittedly albeit over a very short stay. How did he do it, by spending bucket loads of money that we don't have today due to low gates and the impact of FFP. OK, Cowling could 'donate' money to the club (Director Loans are not permitted) but why should he when fans moan about ticket prices and won't make their cash contribution.

I think McGreal is doing a great job and hope that he too becomes a U's legend for getting us promoted.
Managers on 17:44 - Nov 14 with 877 viewswessex_exile

Managers on 14:34 - Nov 14 by noah4x4

Let's be clear about one thing. Phil Parkinson had almost two seasons in charge before he took us up a division in his third. I am hoping John McGreal can replicate this and so far so good in his third season.

Today, managers inherit squads and they can't change them unless in a transfer window. Even then they have to cancel contracts to get rid of players which is costly (or sell players) to get the total playing budget below Financial Fair Pay wage limits that depend on gates/revenue. Shipping people out on loan might ease the burden if another club picks up the wages, bit nobody wants has-beens, only youth . It hence might take three years to mould any squad into a winning side. Kewell and Brown have not had chance to get to a transfer window!

I think Robbie Cowling has been justified in supporting McGreal. There were initial moans about his inexperience (but we will see if an experienced Mr Lambert can save Ispwich!) but most of the moans were about John McGreal being ex-Ipswich (again, parallels again with Mr Lambert). But Lambert was our most successful manager based on percentage career wins admittedly albeit over a very short stay. How did he do it, by spending bucket loads of money that we don't have today due to low gates and the impact of FFP. OK, Cowling could 'donate' money to the club (Director Loans are not permitted) but why should he when fans moan about ticket prices and won't make their cash contribution.

I think McGreal is doing a great job and hope that he too becomes a U's legend for getting us promoted.

Leaving Lambert aside (and caretaker Kit Symons), our two most successful (win %age) managers post-Parkinson have been Aidy Boothroyd followed by Tony Humes!

I agree Noah, McGreal is doing a great job overall, and it definitely shows the benefit of a bit of managerial stability - for which Robbie must receive a good deal of credit too.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Managers on 06:48 - Nov 17 with 784 viewsbwildered

Notice that Shewsbury sacked there replacement manager to the highly successful Ex Tractor manager Paul Hurst . But the EO of the club states no return will be possible due to the way he conducted himself in departing to Poormans .

Managers on 09:00 - Nov 17 with 774 viewsburnsieespana

Many appointments and sackings are irrational.
Notts County a good example this season.
Managers on 09:38 - Nov 17 with 772 viewsbwildered

Former U's favorite Joe Keith also sacked at Tilbury .

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024