Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stevenage match thread 15:04 - Dec 26 with 1028 viewswessex_exile

For anyone not at the game, kick-off has been delayed by 15 minutes because the Stevenage coach broke down at Stansted.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Stevenage match thread on 15:23 - Dec 26 with 1019 viewswessex_exile

Stevenage take an early 1-0 lead :-(

Given as an og for Gilmartin...
[Post edited 26 Dec 2018 15:24]

Up the U's

Stevenage match thread on 15:55 - Dec 26 with 1002 viewswessex_exile

...and double their lead with a goal under very controversial circumstances - no prizes for guessing it was Guthrie in the thick of it, pushing Frankie Kent to allow an easy tap in for Newton.

Up the U's

Stevenage match thread on 15:59 - Dec 26 with 995 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Only Col U could be two down to a team that has only had one attempt on goal.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Stevenage match thread on 16:03 - Dec 26 with 991 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Since we’ve at the new stadium pretty much every time we have a better crowd in we seem to under perform.

Stevenage match thread on 16:13 - Dec 26 with 985 viewsMoor_Pinot

I have I-follow and we are being outfought to every ball by a much more composed side. We've created a couple of well saved half chances but as at Carlisle are yet to string three passes together. Dickenson frankly awful and most of our possession is in our own third. Both goals comfortably worked and we're allowing Guthrie to bother us instead of manning up. Second goal had hint of offside or a foul but more importantly Kent needs to be careful or we'll have ten.
Be surprised if we get anything again from this - just not up for it at all yet. Sorry.

Moor Pinot

Stevenage match thread on 17:19 - Dec 26 with 960 viewsMoor_Pinot

Sorry again but little improvement 2nd half we are terrified to run at a defence making life easy for the opposition. Poor quality from 75% of possession. Senior has lost confidence I think ditto Norris, Madron much more like it and deserved a goal when he hit the post. Credit to the opposition whose game plan worked well but they were not threatened as the possession demanded.
How many games is it since Colchester scored twice? A long time ago and this needs to change.
A frustrating afternoon but too slow, little direct attacking play and lamentable crosses I'm afraid. It could have been a terrific day with other results, instead it's a fab day for Mansfield.
Difficult to feel confident with an attack that doesn't fire.

Moor Pinot

Stevenage match thread on 09:31 - Dec 28 with 807 viewswessex_exile

Stevenage match thread on 17:19 - Dec 26 by Moor_Pinot

Sorry again but little improvement 2nd half we are terrified to run at a defence making life easy for the opposition. Poor quality from 75% of possession. Senior has lost confidence I think ditto Norris, Madron much more like it and deserved a goal when he hit the post. Credit to the opposition whose game plan worked well but they were not threatened as the possession demanded.
How many games is it since Colchester scored twice? A long time ago and this needs to change.
A frustrating afternoon but too slow, little direct attacking play and lamentable crosses I'm afraid. It could have been a terrific day with other results, instead it's a fab day for Mansfield.
Difficult to feel confident with an attack that doesn't fire.

This Jekyll and Hyde thing appears to be defining our season - world-beaters one match, chumps the next. If ever we need a bounce-back it’s tomorrow and New Years Day. If we do, three wins out of four over Christmas wouldn’t be considered a bad haul for the festive period...?

Up the U's

Stevenage match thread on 10:30 - Dec 28 with 801 viewsthrillseeker

The performance Boxing Day disappointed me a great deal.

First half in particular it looked like the players had been on the pop and eating too much festive food as we were very sluggish.

I would like to know whether the players were given Xmas Day off or were they in for light training.

McGreal has to take blame for the way he set team up.

I am not going to continue with the moaning as believe me if someone told me pre-season we would be in this position at Xmas I would have classed them as stupid.

Despite the press reports saying we will not be active in the January transfer window I do hope we strengthen certain areas.

Looking forward to Saturday
Login to get fewer ads

Stevenage match thread on 10:52 - Dec 28 with 796 viewsGOSBTS

Can't wait to go to tomorrow's game to put Boxing Day right. Up the U's!
Stevenage match thread on 12:10 - Dec 28 with 788 viewsMoor_Pinot

WESSEX - Yes you are right but it remains the same symptom of recent times - no ability to string results together which may ultimately lead to disappointing unfulfillment. Yes, I'd take 9 from 12 points too but beleive me Stevenage were nothing at all special, they just played professionally and with a lot more 'nouse'. We only appear to have one methodology under this management - we play excellent passing football [except the goalkeeper who kicks it into the stands] in our final third, get a little uncertain around the halfway line then do not really know what to do after that. It is 14 games since we scored more than one goal. This binary approach needs to be stopped because it cannot sustain a top 7 spot.

GOSBTS - Go for it - bring us the win to make us feel better! We need some inspiration - you can provide it! The crowd will be 1500 fewer but I'd like to see a lot more positivity. The reason for all the corners we won against Stevenage was the fact that no crosses beat their first defender. We have lost the ability to drive around the fullbacks and seem to have forgotten how to attack an opposition back line. Senior's form has gone. In 32 minutes he ran at nobody and lost the ball repeatedly, Dickenson has not regained form since his injury and neither has Norris. It actually looked like it all mattered to Mandron when he came on and I would start with him tomorrow. Pell is also off-form, maybe time for Gondoh and as it stands Collins is a very unfortunate fellow because the side clearly needs something to shake them from their up and down form.

Take a look back 14 games - the last time we scored more than one goal; it was the 3-1 v Crawley and those goals were creative things of beauty as our attack drove at and through a decent side's defence.
We need that tomorrow so I hope the management are onto it!

Up the U's. 100% from all eleven please. Morecombe always play well against us. Time to end all that and get a double at Crawley too!

Moor Pinot

Stevenage match thread on 13:37 - Dec 28 with 779 viewsGOSBTS

Stevenage match thread on 12:10 - Dec 28 by Moor_Pinot

WESSEX - Yes you are right but it remains the same symptom of recent times - no ability to string results together which may ultimately lead to disappointing unfulfillment. Yes, I'd take 9 from 12 points too but beleive me Stevenage were nothing at all special, they just played professionally and with a lot more 'nouse'. We only appear to have one methodology under this management - we play excellent passing football [except the goalkeeper who kicks it into the stands] in our final third, get a little uncertain around the halfway line then do not really know what to do after that. It is 14 games since we scored more than one goal. This binary approach needs to be stopped because it cannot sustain a top 7 spot.

GOSBTS - Go for it - bring us the win to make us feel better! We need some inspiration - you can provide it! The crowd will be 1500 fewer but I'd like to see a lot more positivity. The reason for all the corners we won against Stevenage was the fact that no crosses beat their first defender. We have lost the ability to drive around the fullbacks and seem to have forgotten how to attack an opposition back line. Senior's form has gone. In 32 minutes he ran at nobody and lost the ball repeatedly, Dickenson has not regained form since his injury and neither has Norris. It actually looked like it all mattered to Mandron when he came on and I would start with him tomorrow. Pell is also off-form, maybe time for Gondoh and as it stands Collins is a very unfortunate fellow because the side clearly needs something to shake them from their up and down form.

Take a look back 14 games - the last time we scored more than one goal; it was the 3-1 v Crawley and those goals were creative things of beauty as our attack drove at and through a decent side's defence.
We need that tomorrow so I hope the management are onto it!

Up the U's. 100% from all eleven please. Morecombe always play well against us. Time to end all that and get a double at Crawley too!

I certainly shall be cheering the boys on as vociferously as possible! Have missed it since the Macclesfield game. I don't know all the lyrics to the songs yet but I'll hum the bits I don't know as loudly as possible haha.

I agree about the attacking intent. I felt the first half of the Macclesfield game was a display of how the U's can attack - swift passing with incisive runs. I'm hoping tomorrow will be more of that!
Stevenage match thread on 17:47 - Dec 28 with 757 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Whilst the result was disappointing on Saturday it's not all doom and gloom and we actually have one more point after 24 games than we did the last time we got promoted. Also we're two points better off than last season and five points better off than the season before. We've also conceded less and have a better goal difference. Seems like progress to me.

Stevenage match thread on 15:50 - Dec 29 with 701 viewsMoor_Pinot

Half time v Morecombe and so far no progress on the Stevenage performance whatsoever. Hoping for a better second half. Pell rightly dropped, Dickenson having a bit of a nightmare. Comley and Lapslie working very very hard to make things happen but things still very pedestrian. Inject more pace into the forward play please!

Moor Pinot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024