Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Six Nations Thread 2019 09:19 - Jan 30 with 22724 viewsrobith

It's that time of year again

IN BEFORE - posh people taking over pubs and not drinking. It's been done lads

Intriguing year this year pre World Cup. Some talk teams should blood players, but imo that should have been done already. This is about making sure your team is battle hardened and firing.

England have absolutely lost the plot imo. Trying to play mind games with the second most professional set of players in the world and posting videos of them trying to copy Ireland's tactics waving pool noodles at people. Gonna be quite embarrassing when Ireland grind them into dust.

Ireland - last year I felt like we should be winning by default with everyone else's injuries, but in that process they seemed to find the confidence to drive on to ever new heights. Leinster are dominating the European game. We'll have a target on us and we'll relish it - but this is a test of how good we actually are and how we've manged to negate our bottle job heritage.

Wales are the quiet ones to watch. They've steadily been racking up wins, look refreshed with some new personnel, and got that Australia win monkey off their backs. I'm going to Wales Ireland final game and I'm expecting it to be the decider.

Scotland - won't win but are bloody good fun to watch. France and Italy remain rubbish.

Some of you may remember that I tried to start a rugby podcast last year - and I've put a bit of effort in to get it off the ground again this year. If Clive's ok with self promotion, you can listen to it here, or search for Numbers! in the itunes store!

https://soundcloud.com/user-152690766/3-six-nations-2019-preview
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 17:04 - Feb 10 with 2263 viewsstowmarketrange

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 16:57 - Feb 10 by flynnbo

Some early wickets in the cricket would round off a fine day!

Come on that’s just taking the p@ss.Settle 2 out of 3.
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 17:07 - Feb 10 with 2251 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

What a day.

At this rate Kelly Brook will be knocking on my door with a Lamb Vindaloo and a pint of Guinness.
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 17:19 - Feb 10 with 2232 viewsstowmarketrange

It’s a bad weekend for West London and Middlesex and SW London too.
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 18:03 - Feb 10 with 2185 viewsBlackCrowe

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 17:19 - Feb 10 by stowmarketrange

It’s a bad weekend for West London and Middlesex and SW London too.

Just back.

Such a superb performance in the first half, such a non-event in the second. England could be on the way to peaking at just the right time.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 18:12 - Feb 10 with 2183 viewsDiscodroids

Fantastical. Even without youth team reserve squad members Ben Teo, Mario Itoje, Sam Underhill, Jonathon Joseph, Anthony watson , Dylan Hartley , Chris Robshaw and 'semi retired' James Haskell who has signed for Gallagher premiership Northampton saints , we avoided being ground into the dust by the french by a mere 44- 8 wining margin.

[Post edited 10 Feb 2019 18:14]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 18:20 - Feb 10 with 2166 viewsflynnbo

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 17:04 - Feb 10 by stowmarketrange

Come on that’s just taking the p@ss.Settle 2 out of 3.

Hmmm
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 18:25 - Feb 10 with 2151 viewsSimonJames

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 18:03 - Feb 10 by BlackCrowe

Just back.

Such a superb performance in the first half, such a non-event in the second. England could be on the way to peaking at just the right time.

EJ seemed to quite like the second half performance.

Personally I was glad they didn't run away with it in the second half... don't want us being complacent before we go to Cardiff.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 18:34 - Feb 10 with 2139 viewsBlackCrowe

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 18:25 - Feb 10 by SimonJames

EJ seemed to quite like the second half performance.

Personally I was glad they didn't run away with it in the second half... don't want us being complacent before we go to Cardiff.

Fair. But sitting in the stadium having spent an insane amount on a very standard ticket, it was a bit professional and processional.

Login to get fewer ads

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 09:32 - Feb 12 with 1950 viewsrobith

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 18:12 - Feb 10 by Discodroids

Fantastical. Even without youth team reserve squad members Ben Teo, Mario Itoje, Sam Underhill, Jonathon Joseph, Anthony watson , Dylan Hartley , Chris Robshaw and 'semi retired' James Haskell who has signed for Gallagher premiership Northampton saints , we avoided being ground into the dust by the french by a mere 44- 8 wining margin.

[Post edited 10 Feb 2019 18:14]

Hey, I only said Ireland were going to grind England into dust. France are an absolute shambles and England gave them the shoeing they've deserved for about 2 years. And I don't recall saying anything shady about Underhill or Itoje.

Was good to see someone finally put that mess to the sword, French rugby needs a massive overhaul and other nations shaming them is probably the only way it's going to happen.

But really didn't think 2 weeks ago my world cup preview was going to be "Are England undercooked having faced no real competition in the 6 Nations". Only Wales can stop them now, and I with their back row injuries I just don't see them having the physical heft
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 09:36 - Feb 12 with 1947 viewshopphoops

Just to take up Robith's baton: Wales are going to blend England into a smooth bisque.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 09:38 - Feb 12 with 1943 viewsBlackCrowe

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 09:32 - Feb 12 by robith

Hey, I only said Ireland were going to grind England into dust. France are an absolute shambles and England gave them the shoeing they've deserved for about 2 years. And I don't recall saying anything shady about Underhill or Itoje.

Was good to see someone finally put that mess to the sword, French rugby needs a massive overhaul and other nations shaming them is probably the only way it's going to happen.

But really didn't think 2 weeks ago my world cup preview was going to be "Are England undercooked having faced no real competition in the 6 Nations". Only Wales can stop them now, and I with their back row injuries I just don't see them having the physical heft

The Welsh game will be very tight score-wise and it'll be a cauldron down there. If, and it's a big if, England come through as winners then expectations/aspirations for October will be high, and rightfully so. If they lose, then it's a big set-back.

The French team and tactics were cowboy standard and it's probably worth a few quid to bet on Italy doing them in Rome in a few weeks time, they're that bad. But god, England look strong in all departments.

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 09:47 - Feb 12 with 1938 viewsElHoop

It was certainly the best I've ever seen England play in the flesh, not that that means a whole lot. It was like blitzkrieg rugby at the start - we smashed them up virtually from the kick off. I don't know enough about the game to know what the Welsh could do about this. Surely if they try to fill the gaps exploited by our kickers then they'll be defending too deep and our forwards will hammer them and they won't have a game of their own at all? I don't know what the stats were but in the first half the French seemed to be in their own half most of the time - you can't do much from there however good you think you are.
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 11:22 - Feb 12 with 1914 viewsrobith

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 09:47 - Feb 12 by ElHoop

It was certainly the best I've ever seen England play in the flesh, not that that means a whole lot. It was like blitzkrieg rugby at the start - we smashed them up virtually from the kick off. I don't know enough about the game to know what the Welsh could do about this. Surely if they try to fill the gaps exploited by our kickers then they'll be defending too deep and our forwards will hammer them and they won't have a game of their own at all? I don't know what the stats were but in the first half the French seemed to be in their own half most of the time - you can't do much from there however good you think you are.

Wales will have the positioning benefit of not playing centres on the wing like France did, and they've pace in the backline so won't resemble the sinking oil tanker France did.

However, with no Faletau or Jenkins in the back row, they'll struggle to stop England on the gain line
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 11:44 - Feb 12 with 1894 viewsElHoop

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 11:22 - Feb 12 by robith

Wales will have the positioning benefit of not playing centres on the wing like France did, and they've pace in the backline so won't resemble the sinking oil tanker France did.

However, with no Faletau or Jenkins in the back row, they'll struggle to stop England on the gain line

The first try was unreal. Parra for one was miles in front of Jonny May and yet he was left for dead - left for dead is an understatement. It was like Iain Dowie running like he's being subbed when 1-0 up in a cup semi-final lining up against Usain Bolt in an Olympic 100 metres. How on earth that can happen in a game like that I don't know.
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 11:59 - Feb 12 with 1881 viewsrobith

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 11:44 - Feb 12 by ElHoop

The first try was unreal. Parra for one was miles in front of Jonny May and yet he was left for dead - left for dead is an understatement. It was like Iain Dowie running like he's being subbed when 1-0 up in a cup semi-final lining up against Usain Bolt in an Olympic 100 metres. How on earth that can happen in a game like that I don't know.

France were all over the place - like I've never seen a competent kick chase game make a team completely crumble before. Like they weren't aware you were allowed to kick the ball.

And England just went at them *ruthlessly* with it. They looked like they were going to score from every kick
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 11:42 - Feb 18 with 1772 viewsrobith

Latest podcast episode for those who really wanted to hear me grovel about England winning

https://soundcloud.com/user-152690766/4-humble-pie

Also available on itunes etc
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 13:56 - Feb 18 with 1709 viewsToast_R

I see Ashton is ruled out for England, that's a big loss in the scrum. So with him Vunipola and Itoje missing, Wales should be confident.
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 14:32 - Feb 18 with 1688 viewsRs_Holy

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 13:56 - Feb 18 by Toast_R

I see Ashton is ruled out for England, that's a big loss in the scrum. So with him Vunipola and Itoje missing, Wales should be confident.

I thought Ashton was a winger???
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 15:59 - Feb 18 with 1656 viewsrobith

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 13:56 - Feb 18 by Toast_R

Ashton is indeed a winger, and the only one of those he plays in the scrum is Jack Nowell.

Itoje is a loss, but England have good depth at lock with Kruis and Lawes worthy starters, and I think Launchbury is fit again too?

Mako is a big loss as the quality drop off from his current form is big

Worry would be can Wales compete with England's bulk to open up turnover opportunities for Navidi and Tipuric? And can Wales' 10/12 axis cope with Tuilagi?
[Post edited 18 Feb 2019 16:00]
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 10:13 - Feb 22 with 1571 viewsrobith

Enormous game tomorrow.

Bookies have England by 4, and I think that's a fair shout.

Will England kick less now thery're facing some backs in their proper positions? Saw a mad stat today that England's centres have passed the ball less than Kyle Sinckler has
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 11:18 - Feb 22 with 1552 viewsToast_R

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 10:13 - Feb 22 by robith

Enormous game tomorrow.

Bookies have England by 4, and I think that's a fair shout.

Will England kick less now thery're facing some backs in their proper positions? Saw a mad stat today that England's centres have passed the ball less than Kyle Sinckler has

I have my Guinness in. Whether I'll be able to watch it is debatable. The Mrs is on her due date and the midwife is coming tomorrow, I think I might be at Kingston Hospital maternity wing for a prolonged period of time this weekend.
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 12:20 - Feb 22 with 1527 viewsrobith

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 11:18 - Feb 22 by Toast_R

I have my Guinness in. Whether I'll be able to watch it is debatable. The Mrs is on her due date and the midwife is coming tomorrow, I think I might be at Kingston Hospital maternity wing for a prolonged period of time this weekend.

Best of luck Toast. An old boss of mine once got the call that his missus had gone into labour moments after he'd got through the turnstiles at Twickenham for England vs All Blacks. Had to fight his way back through 80k people to get back on the train.

England won and all
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 15:10 - Feb 22 with 1465 viewsSimonJames

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 11:18 - Feb 22 by Toast_R

Best of luck. My two oldest sons were born in the Kingston Maternity Unit (back in the late 90's). Good folk there...

P.s. C'mon England!
[Post edited 22 Feb 2019 15:11]

100% of people who drink water will die.

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 10:15 - Feb 23 with 1416 viewsElHoop

A bit worried about the game today - if two or three returning players have made the difference to England then what will happen without one of them? We were slightly less good when Mako went off against France. We haven't been subject to stupid mistakes and poor discipline so far - possibly due to the margin of our superiority. What if it's closer today - will some of the old England faults return? I've had a little bet on Wales nd a little bet on England by more than 12 points - I've a feeling that it won't be anywhere in between.

Something better change for 'Jean' Jacques Brunel today or it'll be 'Goodbye Toulouse' I reckon. Looks like he's gone 'Hello Toulouse' instead in fact. Interesting game anyway - should be a great day.
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 10:20 - Feb 23 with 1413 viewsDixie_CT

Sadly I think England will have too much for Wales. I don’t think Wales have played well and are missing some big players to just kick into gear. I would say England by two scores but hope I’m wrong.

Watching it at London Broncos as their game kicks off against Castleford at 515 but deffo all eyes on Cardiff until 6ish.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024