Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fox hunting restored this afternoon only in North Essex 10:18 - Feb 23 with 819 viewsdurham_exile

JM and his charges entertain the Cumbrians at Fortress JobServe this afternoon. Buoyed by recent results the super U’s will be keen to avenge the woeful performance and 4-0 defeat suffered at Brunton Park in December.

Whilst that was a low point in the season, it was only one game and Carlisle now have a new manager in Steven Pressley. They are also without Jamie Devitt who serves his second game in a three-game ban, whilst the dangerous Hallam Hope does play for the Cumbrians.

Lincoln City 32 62 +24
Bury 33 60 +24
Mansfield 33 58 +22
MK Dons 33 56 +22
FGR 33 54 +18
COL U 33 53 +17
Carlisle 33 52 +11
Exeter 32 51 +11
Tranmere 33 49 +6

The table continues to suggest that this could go to the wire and with 13 games still to play there are many points still to play for to cement a top seven spot, whilst the U’s are capable of finishing in a top three place.

Carlisle H
Swindon A
Newport H

FGR H
Exeter A
Tranmere H

Cambridge A
Oldham H
Bury A

Grimsby H
Yeovil A
MK Dons H
Lincoln A

Last week at Moss Rose JM returned second half to three at the back, a system previously employed earlier in the season. Injuries to Harry Pell and Tom Lapslie plus Brandon Comley may have forced his hand but it seems to me that JM has two options this weekend for this key game. He can retain Tom Eastman at the back or revert to a back four.

So, EITHER:

Gilmartin

Eastman Prosser Kent

Jackson Wright Stevenson Vincent-Young

Senior Nouble Eisa

OR

Gilmartin

Jackson Prosser Kent Vincent-Young

Senior Wright Stevenson

Eisa Nouble Szmodics

Subs:

Barnes Lapslie Mandron Norris Eastman Dickenson Roberts

Diaz Wright was employed earlier in the season and acquitted himself very well. If Tom Lapslie is not fit, then Wright should play alongside Ben Stevenson. Norris, Dickenson and Roberts should all see some action from the bench today.

I favour the 4,3,3 at home because it is difficult to see how playing 5 at the back is a positive when facing the likelihood of a single Carlisle striker. We will know just after 2pm.

Colchester weather today will be 10 degrees Celsius and sunny with light winds. Perfect for the match. The pitch should be magnificent.

The faithful could be out in force and another three points will set things up nicely for the difficult trip to the county Ground next weekend.

Enjoy the game. Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Fox hunting restored this afternoon only in North Essex on 10:48 - Feb 23 with 806 viewsgerry_us

"Either or?" Peter. That sounds like McG thinking.
Must play Eastman, he is a rock at the back and also can weigh in with the odd goal or two.
Fox hunting restored this afternoon only in North Essex on 10:54 - Feb 23 with 803 viewsLeadbelly

Us are really up against it today...Trevor Kettle is officiating.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Fox hunting restored this afternoon only in North Essex on 11:35 - Feb 23 with 791 viewsdurham_exile

Fox hunting restored this afternoon only in North Essex on 10:48 - Feb 23 by gerry_us

"Either or?" Peter. That sounds like McG thinking.
Must play Eastman, he is a rock at the back and also can weigh in with the odd goal or two.

Gerry it's a close call because JM favours Kent and Prosser in a back four but a three must include Tom Eastman.

I reckon he may play 3,4,3 next week but go for 4,3,3 today.

I also note the Kettle dimension as flagged up by LB.

It should be a good contest and a cracking day weatherwise.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Fox hunting restored this afternoon only in North Essex on 11:44 - Feb 23 with 787 viewsMoor_Pinot

Play Eastman every time. Best passer we have too.
Kettle.........OMG, someone will be off. Nouble needs to watch himself.

We are on our second best run of the season......errrrrr that's three games unbeaten. Just 3. 3!! Our best was the first four games we played at the start in August. I do hope we can make it a proper run and if we can then a top 7 finish is a real possibility.
We need to play positively in both halves, use subs wisely and move the ball quickly as we have begun to do again of late. Carlisle will be a good test of our desire. McG has little passion so let's see if the players can show some for the 3200 who turn up.

Up the U's

Moor Pinot

Fox hunting restored this afternoon only in North Essex on 14:04 - Feb 23 with 763 viewsdurham_exile

Fox hunting restored this afternoon only in North Essex on 11:35 - Feb 23 by durham_exile

Gerry it's a close call because JM favours Kent and Prosser in a back four but a three must include Tom Eastman.

I reckon he may play 3,4,3 next week but go for 4,3,3 today.

I also note the Kettle dimension as flagged up by LB.

It should be a good contest and a cracking day weatherwise.

Up the U's

JM has gone with my OR lineup.

Good to see Diaz Wright playing.

I suspect he will think about 3,4,3 next week but 4,3,3 is the right call today.

Three points

Up the U's

PS the pitch is pristine
[Post edited 23 Feb 2019 14:05]

Durham_exile

Fox hunting restored this afternoon only in North Essex on 14:59 - Feb 23 with 743 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Fox hunting restored this afternoon only in North Essex on 10:54 - Feb 23 by Leadbelly

Us are really up against it today...Trevor Kettle is officiating.

Just saw that. Might have to change my prediction. Terrible referee.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Fox hunting restored this afternoon only in North Essex on 15:42 - Feb 23 with 736 viewsgerry_us

Fox hunting restored this afternoon only in North Essex on 14:04 - Feb 23 by durham_exile

JM has gone with my OR lineup.

Good to see Diaz Wright playing.

I suspect he will think about 3,4,3 next week but 4,3,3 is the right call today.

Three points

Up the U's

PS the pitch is pristine
[Post edited 23 Feb 2019 14:05]

Anyone remember..
Goalkeeper,
Left Back, Right Back
Left Half, Centre Half, Right Half
Left Wing, Inside Left, Centre Forward
Inside Right, Right Wing.
Those were the days. Would that be 2-3-2-3?
Fox hunting restored this afternoon only in North Essex on 15:51 - Feb 23 with 728 viewspwrightsknees

Fox hunting restored this afternoon only in North Essex on 15:42 - Feb 23 by gerry_us

Anyone remember..
Goalkeeper,
Left Back, Right Back
Left Half, Centre Half, Right Half
Left Wing, Inside Left, Centre Forward
Inside Right, Right Wing.
Those were the days. Would that be 2-3-2-3?

Gerry, we call it 2-3-5.

Why do you ask? Is someone thinking of playing any differently?
Login to get fewer ads

Fox hunting restored this afternoon only in North Essex on 15:59 - Feb 23 with 723 viewsMoor_Pinot

Watchable first half, Peter, Gerry, etc.

Opposition good, better skillset and should be 2-0 up. We have played our usual pre-Christmas pretty passing game in our own half with little idea yet how to break through a ten man defence which knows far far too much for Nouble. Carlisle break fast and dangerously and have missed two clear goals.
U's have had no shots and annoyingly have been completely unable to beat the first defender with any cross. Indeed we seem to be having probems lifting the ball at all. Prosser the master of the pass back when going forward but Wright is coping well and our wing backs are doing their best. Eisa not really in it today, nor Nouble.

Bit concerned. Being out-thought. Long distance goal needed I think. Sammie huffing and puffing, Senior tricky but skills let him down regularly.
I think I'd only give Eisa a few more minutes but what do I know...

Right, back to it live.

Moor Pinot

Fox hunting restored this afternoon only in North Essex on 16:59 - Feb 23 with 706 viewsMoor_Pinot

Barely deserved point but for Kent's bravery in getting his head to the ball - the U's first headed goal of the season!! Yes!
Mandron and Norris made a real difference and having extra attackers was more effective and a message to management but the keeper had no saves to make and Carlisle will be kicking themselves.
This was a similar U's to the Morecombe, Swindon, Exeter and Stevenage performances my only hope is that in deploying extra attacking players as for the final twenty minutes we may have a game plan for the next games.

Got a lucky point today. Very grown up side Carlisle.

Moor Pinot

Fox hunting restored this afternoon only in North Essex on 16:59 - Feb 23 with 705 viewsdurham_exile

Fox hunting restored this afternoon only in North Essex on 15:59 - Feb 23 by Moor_Pinot

Watchable first half, Peter, Gerry, etc.

Opposition good, better skillset and should be 2-0 up. We have played our usual pre-Christmas pretty passing game in our own half with little idea yet how to break through a ten man defence which knows far far too much for Nouble. Carlisle break fast and dangerously and have missed two clear goals.
U's have had no shots and annoyingly have been completely unable to beat the first defender with any cross. Indeed we seem to be having probems lifting the ball at all. Prosser the master of the pass back when going forward but Wright is coping well and our wing backs are doing their best. Eisa not really in it today, nor Nouble.

Bit concerned. Being out-thought. Long distance goal needed I think. Sammie huffing and puffing, Senior tricky but skills let him down regularly.
I think I'd only give Eisa a few more minutes but what do I know...

Right, back to it live.

I suppose we will have to accept one point. However Swindon will provide a stern test next week.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Fox hunting restored this afternoon only in North Essex on 17:44 - Feb 23 with 689 viewsMoor_Pinot

Indeed so Peter and a very fortunate point it was. Our crossing into the box is just still so awful and almost hard to believe, but it's born out by headed goals statistic I mention on t'other post. Unless we create more in the box we can never put teams under the kind of pressure say as Bury have today when they went a goal down. Big difference I'm afraid and as you say Swindon will be very tricky.

Moor Pinot

Fox hunting restored this afternoon only in North Essex on 23:19 - Feb 23 with 629 viewswessex_exile

Moving my daughter into her new home today, so missed the commentary for this one. The stats, and the observations here, suggest it was a fortunate point against a good side. All I know is, I'd rather snatch a late equaliser than concede one, and so we move on - still in the play-offs. Looking forward to Swindon next weekend.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Fox hunting restored this afternoon only in North Essex on 08:43 - Feb 24 with 615 viewsbwildered

No post horn gallop after this game.
Points rightly shared in this decent game, but goals scored some what scrappy. U's keeper much the busier in the first half although goalless at half time . With vistors taking the lead, this forced McG to reshuffle which led to equaliser in the final ten minutes, but unable to find a winner thereafter .
Diaz Wright had decent workman like game in midfield, who ran himself into the ground.
With many of the top sides still to play, teams that find ways of getting invaluable three points,in games which they fall behind are like gold dust.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Fox hunting restored this afternoon only in North Essex on 10:29 - Feb 24 with 602 viewsMoor_Pinot

I'll be at Swindon in spirit Andy. Horrible ground, never enjoy the trips to it and just hoping we can extend our 4 game unbeaten run - the longest of the season. A point yesterday was more than we really deserved and the difference between us and those that will probably go up is the extra quality I suppose. Bury were 0-1 down to Oldham yet found 3 goals in the last 15 minutes. That sort of thing seems beyond the U's. The substitutions yesterday deserve mention from the management point of view because they were successful and appropriate. I would start Mandron - not Eisa - he offers more and knows his team mates better. Sammie remains the problem. He works so hard and is a good footballer but nobody really knows where he is positionally. Nouble has looked ok at centre forward but was out of his depth yesterday. He does need a rest and Norris was a nuisance yesterday and might well want to be next Saturday. I hope management will be brave as this worked yesterday from a lost position. Yes, I agree with you, a point against a good side but we have to beat all the Grimsby-Tranmere-Yeovils because wins against Carlisle/Bury/Lincoln etc are very unlikely were we to fall behind.
Hope I am proved wrong to be a bit pessimistic but I'm still crossing my fingers we sneak into the top 7. Stevenson will be key and he needs to play a heck of a lot better than he did yesterday.

Up the U's

Moor Pinot

Fox hunting restored this afternoon only in North Essex on 13:26 - Feb 24 with 588 viewsnoah4x4

I would start Dickenson wide left dropping Eisa who has all the skills but is not robust enough for Division Two thugs when referees like Kettle offer no protection. Bring Eisa on as an impact player when the opposition are tiring.

Drop Szmodics for loanee Callum Roberts. Szmodics could have had a hat trick yesterday, but missed the target. Huffs and puffs, but we need a more clinical finisher.
Fox hunting restored this afternoon only in North Essex on 20:14 - Feb 24 with 555 viewsGOSBTS

Was on holiday in Berlin so wasn't at the game yesterday but a point against fellow play-off candidates can never be a bad thing. Most important thing is that Carlisle weren't allowed to gain a points advantage over us.

Chomping at the bit to get down the Jobserve. Haven't been (apart from for the Sleepout) since the Morecambe game. Roll on March 9th and 12th!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024