Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today 09:16 - Mar 2 with 1579 viewsdurham_exile

JM takes his promotion hunting Super U’s to the County Ground Swindon aiming to secure three more priceless points in their league campaign.

Richie Wellens team sit in 12th place in the table with 47 points but have one game in hand. Swindon away is a winnable game and should be approached as such by the super U’s.

The Robins like Grimsby, Oldham and Crewe sit just outside the promotion places still held by the same eight squads for several weeks now. Thankfully the top eight have all played 34 games now and the Imps scored a dramatic 96th minute equaliser to deflate the Grecians on Tuesday night at Sincil Bank. This suggests to me that any of the top eight can break into those vital top three places with a run of consistent results.

Lincoln 34 66 +26
Bury 34 63 +26
Mansfield 34 61 +23
MK Dons 34 59 +21
Exeter 34 55 +12
COL U 34 54 +17
FGR 34 54 + 17
Carlisle 34 53 +11

Colchester remaining fixtures: We still have to play 5 of the top 8 including the tasty last two matches, which will probably determine our promotion fate. The simple fact is that we are still in control of our destiny and should now approach these games accordingly.

Swindon A
Newport H
FGR H

Exeter A
Tranmere H
Cambridge A

Oldham H
Bury A
Grimsby H

Yeovil A
MK Dons H
Lincoln A

Colchester have a decent record at the County Ground, and we should dismiss Wellens bemoaning the fact that he has key injuries. It will still be 11 versus 11 at kick off and all our opponents are all keen to put one over on a promotion rival.

Both Tom Lapslie and Harry Pell have resumed training, but neither should be risked today. There is a vital home double header coming up and hopefully one or both will be fit for those matches. This puts pressure on Ben Stevenson, but he is more than capable of rising to the occasion and young Diaz Wright is an able deputy.

I reckon that JM will opt for his favoured back four and Brennan Dickenson (now beginning to show the form that he is capable of) should get a start against the Robins with Courtney Senior also providing width on the other flank.

So: 4,4,1,1

Gilmartin

Jackson Kent Prosser Vincent-Young

Senior Stevenson Wright Dickenson

Szmodics

Norris

Subs:

Barnes Eastman Eisa Roberts Nouble Mandron Gondoh

Swindon weather is likely to be 12 degrees Celsius and cloudy but dry.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful, enjoy the game and let’s secure that 16th league victory of the season to maintain the promotion push.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 2 Mar 2019 9:40]

Durham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 10:24 - Mar 2 with 1153 viewsMoor_Pinot

I like the team you've chosen Durham but I would prefer Mandron to Norris as he reads the game of his colleagues better than any of our players. Indeed he is the only one who seems aware of where our enigma [Szmodics] is at any one time. His intelligent flick made Kent's brave equaliser last week. I also think the management will start Nouble, not Dickinson. Nouble has reverted to not looking good enough and refusing to shoot so I can see your point re Dickinson, but the latter is still a shadow of his previous best and in common with many still fails to deliver decent crosses or corners. The Kent goal produced a stat which reflects the team's key weakness - it was our 1st headed goal of the season - crossing into the goal area.
I also suspect that Eisa will start above Wright. We proved last week that the loss of Pell, Lapslie and the withdrawn Wright & Jackson still resulted in an effective formation with Dickinson almost a left back and Vincent-Young switching. This management do have players who offer options Durham, options which if deployed or modified can produce a top 7 or 8 finish. For me, it is whether they can/will do this with the resources available. We have few injury concerns, fit young players, some with ability, some still growing and a reasonable spirit. We are also on our joint longest unbeaten run of the season.....err 4.....so I am hopeful that we can grow into a successful end of season.

Don't like Swindon.

Up the U's !

Moor Pinot

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 11:54 - Mar 2 with 1136 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 10:24 - Mar 2 by Moor_Pinot

I like the team you've chosen Durham but I would prefer Mandron to Norris as he reads the game of his colleagues better than any of our players. Indeed he is the only one who seems aware of where our enigma [Szmodics] is at any one time. His intelligent flick made Kent's brave equaliser last week. I also think the management will start Nouble, not Dickinson. Nouble has reverted to not looking good enough and refusing to shoot so I can see your point re Dickinson, but the latter is still a shadow of his previous best and in common with many still fails to deliver decent crosses or corners. The Kent goal produced a stat which reflects the team's key weakness - it was our 1st headed goal of the season - crossing into the goal area.
I also suspect that Eisa will start above Wright. We proved last week that the loss of Pell, Lapslie and the withdrawn Wright & Jackson still resulted in an effective formation with Dickinson almost a left back and Vincent-Young switching. This management do have players who offer options Durham, options which if deployed or modified can produce a top 7 or 8 finish. For me, it is whether they can/will do this with the resources available. We have few injury concerns, fit young players, some with ability, some still growing and a reasonable spirit. We are also on our joint longest unbeaten run of the season.....err 4.....so I am hopeful that we can grow into a successful end of season.

Don't like Swindon.

Up the U's !

Pinault I too am not a Swindon fan.

I support Mika Mandron, my only reservation is that he fails to convert sufficient chances into goals. These 12 games will determine whether we achieve promotion at the fourth time of asking or whether another season in the basement league beckons.

We can compete at league one level and from the games that I have seen this season Carlisle away notwithstanding we have shown an ability to win in important games.

Today is a tricky tie but one which I expect us to prevail in. JM must be brave in his team selection we will require some squad players to get us over the line during the key 12 matches. When Pell and Lapslie return we have a very strong midfield but I think Diaz Wright is a player with real potential and Ben Stevenson is already ready to shine in league one next season.

I do not like Brennan Dickenson playing at left back. He is an out and out left sided attacker and should only be deployed as such. I do hope that JM plays him from the start today.

We will know just after 2pm!

Enjoy the game, brilliant sunshine in Durham but breezy.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 13:26 - Mar 2 with 1119 viewsoxfcolu

Short drive today. I have been looking forward to the game,not the place.
Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 13:38 - Mar 2 with 1117 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 13:26 - Mar 2 by oxfcolu

Short drive today. I have been looking forward to the game,not the place.

Oxfcolu - enjoy the game let's hope for those three points.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 14:09 - Mar 2 with 1111 viewsdurham_exile

Starting XI

Gilmartin

Jackson Kent Prosser Vincent-Young

Senior Stevenson Wright Dickenson

Nouble Mandron

Good to see Brennan Dickenson start

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 14:15 - Mar 2 with 1108 viewsMoor_Pinot

Interesting and if I am honest, surprising. I believe Sammie should have been dropped weeks ago to allow room for a front two who may/may not be able to connect. Whether that is Mandron + Nouble I doubt, but it might just be Mandron + Norris.

Got my fingers crossed in frosty France.

Up the U's.

Moor Pinot

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 14:20 - Mar 2 with 1105 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 14:15 - Mar 2 by Moor_Pinot

Interesting and if I am honest, surprising. I believe Sammie should have been dropped weeks ago to allow room for a front two who may/may not be able to connect. Whether that is Mandron + Nouble I doubt, but it might just be Mandron + Norris.

Up the U's.

Norris cannot be fully fit

Let us see how the twin strikers perform

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 14:33 - Mar 2 with 1100 viewsmfb_cufc

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 14:15 - Mar 2 by Moor_Pinot

Up the U's.

Sammie hasn't been dropped, he is ill.

mfb

Login to get fewer ads

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 15:28 - Mar 2 with 1086 viewsLeadbelly

Pretty even so far with both sides missing decent chances.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 15:42 - Mar 2 with 1082 viewsLeadbelly

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 15:28 - Mar 2 by Leadbelly

Pretty even so far with both sides missing decent chances.

Swindon one up. Sounds like some poor defending was to blame.

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 15:43 - Mar 2 with 1081 viewsLeadbelly

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 15:42 - Mar 2 by Leadbelly

Swindon one up. Sounds like some poor defending was to blame.

Make that two up. All over the shop at the back.

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 15:45 - Mar 2 with 1080 viewsgerry_us

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 15:43 - Mar 2 by Leadbelly

Make that two up. All over the shop at the back.

Stop posting LB! Pretty even huh?
Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 15:54 - Mar 2 with 1075 viewsLeadbelly

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 15:45 - Mar 2 by gerry_us

Stop posting LB! Pretty even huh?

I shall try not to concede any more poor goals in the second half! At least Ipswich are losing their latest must win relegation six pointer!

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 15:59 - Mar 2 with 1072 viewsMoor_Pinot

Comfortably outplayed by Swindon seconds. Yet again our management team simply do not prepare our group of players appropriately. It happens time and time again.

Moor Pinot

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 16:25 - Mar 2 with 1061 viewsLeadbelly

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 15:54 - Mar 2 by Leadbelly

I shall try not to concede any more poor goals in the second half! At least Ipswich are losing their latest must win relegation six pointer!

Someone else can report Swindon’s third goal.

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 17:22 - Mar 2 with 1024 viewsnoah4x4

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 16:25 - Mar 2 by Leadbelly

Someone else can report Swindon’s third goal.

Straight through Gilmartens hands.

Worst goalkeeping display ever in the 15 seasons of following the U's. Referee worse than Kettle. The better team made to look like clowns by a very average Swindon.
Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 17:23 - Mar 2 with 1021 viewsFruitbat

At least the crickets going well....
Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 18:29 - Mar 2 with 972 viewsgerry_us

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 17:23 - Mar 2 by Fruitbat

At least the crickets going well....

at least as well as us!
Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 18:44 - Mar 2 with 964 viewswessex_exile

Dreadful - for most of the first half we had them in our pocket, without to be honest much creative flair up front. Gilmartin had already been giving glimpses of the shockers to follow, poor kicking, constantly playing out to a defender who was already under pressure, and having to aimlessly lump to no one the inevitable pass back. However, in the 39th minute he surpassed himself with a dreadfully scuffed goal kick straight to a Swindon player in our own half, and several pinpoint passes later Swindon had an ill-deserved 1-0 lead. Two minutes later and a sweeping cross straight on to the head of a Swindon player, who looked miles offside, headed back past Gilmartin into the far corner, and the game looked lost.

It didn't get much better 2nd half sadly. We huffed and puffed and did try and get back into the game, but by then Swindon were quite happy to sit deep and weather anything we tried. Gilmartin wasn't responsible for Mandron running down a blind alley and losing possession on the edge of our box, but he was responsible for the weak hands to only palm the incoming shot up and over his shoulder and into the corner of the goal. It was good to see Norris come on, and he did at least have a few shots on goal, something everyone else seemed remarkably reluctant to try.

...and the referee was absolutely shocking.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 20:52 - Mar 2 with 920 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 18:44 - Mar 2 by wessex_exile

Dreadful - for most of the first half we had them in our pocket, without to be honest much creative flair up front. Gilmartin had already been giving glimpses of the shockers to follow, poor kicking, constantly playing out to a defender who was already under pressure, and having to aimlessly lump to no one the inevitable pass back. However, in the 39th minute he surpassed himself with a dreadfully scuffed goal kick straight to a Swindon player in our own half, and several pinpoint passes later Swindon had an ill-deserved 1-0 lead. Two minutes later and a sweeping cross straight on to the head of a Swindon player, who looked miles offside, headed back past Gilmartin into the far corner, and the game looked lost.

It didn't get much better 2nd half sadly. We huffed and puffed and did try and get back into the game, but by then Swindon were quite happy to sit deep and weather anything we tried. Gilmartin wasn't responsible for Mandron running down a blind alley and losing possession on the edge of our box, but he was responsible for the weak hands to only palm the incoming shot up and over his shoulder and into the corner of the goal. It was good to see Norris come on, and he did at least have a few shots on goal, something everyone else seemed remarkably reluctant to try.

...and the referee was absolutely shocking.

Realistically today's performance and result has probably put paid to our automatic promotion opportunity but worryingly anymore like that and another season languishing in league two beckons.

Have just watched the so called highlights, a disaster.

What is wrong with Dillon Barnes, Gilmartin was appalling from the 1 min 46 seconds that I saw.

Very disappointed and it is this kind of rubbish that the faithful do not deserve to have to suffer.

A double header which now must garner all 6 points otherwise mid table beckons.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 21:20 - Mar 2 with 911 viewsgerry_us

Gilmartin made it quite plain that even though he is GK coach he wanted also to be the regular keeper. In my mind those two jobs are not compatible and he should relinquish his coach post and see then if he continues to be picked as surely the GK coach has important input in the selection process....ergo...pick Gilmartin.
I seem to think we had a surfeit of keepers at the start of the season; surely his job was to groom one or other of them for first team duty, NOT make the position his own. Weak upper management is ruining our club.
Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 22:04 - Mar 2 with 895 viewsLeadbelly

A surfeit of ‘keepers whose combined efforts fall well short of One S Walker Esq, late of this parish.

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 22:23 - Mar 2 with 891 viewsoxfcolu

A bad day out watching a team who decided not to turn up. No excuses about bad referees or the fact Gilmartin was rubbish. Without consistency there is little hope.
Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 09:30 - Mar 3 with 816 viewsMoor_Pinot

Consistently inconsistent under our lacklustre management is the status quo. Unless we get 10 points from the next four games I imagine it will be over for another season of precious little progression.
This s a shame as the squad is better than for some time but yesterday, yet another de-motivated, passionless and largely creation-free performance on the back of our longest unbeaten run of the season ...... 4 games. But in truth we should have been beaten by Carlisle anyway and a penalty had saved us at Moss Rose. We cannot seemingly learn from games and the players seem ill-prepared to face a new opposition - hence the inconsistency. I occasionally wonder if all is not well in the dressing room as that might explain it.

Very disappointing really as we have been in the top six most of the season but now that a few sides are predictably joining in - Tranmere, Swindon, Oldham - we will have to find a type of form which has completely eluded this management for three seasons in order to secure a spot in the play-offs. Makes me mad because I firmly believe the quality in the squad could cope with division one.

I often wonder if Mr Cowling asks 'the difficult questions' of his management....."how / Why?" and what response he gets because Colchester United are never the same team two halves of a game running. Baffling, but surely unnecessary.

And, although it's not fair to single folk out really, the U's have been badly in need of a goalkeeper all season in my view, neither of our two can kick.

10 points from 12 please...........

Moor Pinot

Robins to have their wings clipped at the County ground today on 12:40 - Mar 3 with 796 viewsbwildered

Monday
Manager to GK coach - Keeper was rubbish on Saturday , what happened ?
GK coach - Bad day at the office boss, will have a word .

Friday
Manager to GK coach - How was the week, recommendations ?
GK coach - Kicked arse, all trained well, drop current man and play coach instead !

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024