Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Construction industry 08:46 - Mar 5 with 7670 viewsPunteR

Anyone else in it and finding things a bit too quiet at the mo.?
Hopefully pick up again in the summer as per.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Construction industry on 08:52 - Mar 5 with 5435 viewsBoston

Steady as she goes in my neck of the woods. Can you swim Punte, if things get serious I could always pick you up on the north bank of the Rio Grande?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Construction industry on 09:03 - Mar 5 with 5403 viewsloftboy

Lots going on in the city, ca t get through my day without some glorified lollipop lady stopping the traffic to allow a lorry out of a site.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Construction industry on 09:16 - Mar 5 with 5378 viewsLblock

Despite all the doomsayers and best efforts of project fear I can report that the London based commercial office fit out sector still mad busy according to reports back across the board. my own specific company scratching currently but plenty in the pipeline and, as you say, will be mental from April onwards as usual.

I've had a gutful of it myself and do have an issue running which is really getting me down -- I'm more negative than usual!!!!!
Decisions to be made in next couple of months for me personally..... might have to dust the decks off and come out of retirement - weddings, birthdays, barmitzers and 20,000 hardcore raver events all covered.

What's your specific trade? I seem to recall joiner? If so you should be rushed off your tootsies!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Construction industry on 09:17 - Mar 5 with 5377 viewsPunteR

Construction industry on 08:52 - Mar 5 by Boston

Steady as she goes in my neck of the woods. Can you swim Punte, if things get serious I could always pick you up on the north bank of the Rio Grande?

I might hold you to that mate :)

Yeh there's loads of new builds my way that are halfway through contracts. Couple of sites are on go slow. Spoke to a few of my mates and they've gone a bit quiet. I just wondered if its a wider issue.?
Im gonna go and give my van a hoover..

Construction industry on 09:21 - Mar 5 with 5368 viewsted_hendrix

I retired last September after 38 Years as a site Manager with the same company Punter, our company was and still is one of the major contractors but there was a noticeable downtrend in the order books the last six Months or so of last year, we also took over some of Carillion's larger contracts when they went tits up (mistake in my view).
We were building schools/colleges and academy's nationally under framework agreements last year at a rate of knots but that cash cow looks like emptying its wallet this year also the NHS contracts look like slowing down this year.
We were preferred bidder locally for the fakes new training ground, the cost of that was ridiculous but the last I heard that was put on hold due to the knobs having such a shit season

Brexit is not doing anyone any good, clients are shelving or marking time certain contracts that have been on the table for a while, worst thing at the moment is people not getting paid has reared its ugly head once again, this starts with the client being a late payer and filters all the way down to the three man band sub-contractor.

I'll be very surprised if it picks up this Summer.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Construction industry on 09:25 - Mar 5 with 5354 viewsPunteR

Construction industry on 09:16 - Mar 5 by Lblock

Despite all the doomsayers and best efforts of project fear I can report that the London based commercial office fit out sector still mad busy according to reports back across the board. my own specific company scratching currently but plenty in the pipeline and, as you say, will be mental from April onwards as usual.

I've had a gutful of it myself and do have an issue running which is really getting me down -- I'm more negative than usual!!!!!
Decisions to be made in next couple of months for me personally..... might have to dust the decks off and come out of retirement - weddings, birthdays, barmitzers and 20,000 hardcore raver events all covered.

What's your specific trade? I seem to recall joiner? If so you should be rushed off your tootsies!

Yes mate carpenter. 1st ,2nd fix.
I have been really busy but all of a sudden i'm scratching around. I've got enough to keep me going, bits and pieces, but 2 decent jobs have pulled the plug on us.

Deffo dust those decks off anyway mate :)

Construction industry on 09:27 - Mar 5 with 5348 viewsMick_S

Construction industry on 09:17 - Mar 5 by PunteR

I might hold you to that mate :)

Yeh there's loads of new builds my way that are halfway through contracts. Couple of sites are on go slow. Spoke to a few of my mates and they've gone a bit quiet. I just wondered if its a wider issue.?
Im gonna go and give my van a hoover..

I don't know how it works PunteR, but over this way in Hayes and West Drayton the sky is disappearing as there is that much going on - there is also a new estate and business park (ugly as f'eck) on the old Uxbridge RAF base which will house 5,000 new people.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Construction industry on 09:33 - Mar 5 with 5332 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

THIS IS A PARTY POLITICAL BROADCAST ON BEHALF OF THE LABOUR PARTY

'Labour will invest to build over a million new homes. By the end of the next Parliament, we will be building at least 100,000 council and housing association homes a year for genuinely affordable rent or sale'

https://labour.org.uk/manifesto/secure-homes-for-all/

'How will those spendthrift commie bastards pay for all this?' I hear you cry....

Login to get fewer ads

Construction industry on 09:40 - Mar 5 with 5317 viewsplasmahoop

Construction industry on 09:33 - Mar 5 by BazzaInTheLoft

'Labour will invest to build over a million new homes. By the end of the next Parliament, we will be building at least 100,000 council and housing association homes a year for genuinely affordable rent or sale'

'How will those spendthrift commie bastards pay for all this?' I hear you cry....

The problem is, the corporation tax rises may have a negative impact on tax take. Sometimes reducing taxes leads to more income. Similarly the income taxes scheduled on the wealthy may do the same as they will probably leave the country. The taxes need to be set at their optimum revenue raising level
Construction industry on 09:48 - Mar 5 with 5285 viewsnadera78

Construction industry on 09:40 - Mar 5 by plasmahoop

The problem is, the corporation tax rises may have a negative impact on tax take. Sometimes reducing taxes leads to more income. Similarly the income taxes scheduled on the wealthy may do the same as they will probably leave the country. The taxes need to be set at their optimum revenue raising level

You're right to a point. Lowering taxes can bring in extra revenue, but there is evidence to suggest that once you drop below a certain point further tax cuts don't stimulate anything or encourage companies to relocate, it simply increases the profits for the companies involved.

Also, reducing corporation tax for the big companies, as the Tories have done, has wiped out the difference between small and large companies, which is tough on the little guys because they just don't have the scale. That distinction in tax rates was important.
Construction industry on 09:53 - Mar 5 with 5263 viewsplasmahoop

Construction industry on 09:48 - Mar 5 by nadera78

You're right to a point. Lowering taxes can bring in extra revenue, but there is evidence to suggest that once you drop below a certain point further tax cuts don't stimulate anything or encourage companies to relocate, it simply increases the profits for the companies involved.

Also, reducing corporation tax for the big companies, as the Tories have done, has wiped out the difference between small and large companies, which is tough on the little guys because they just don't have the scale. That distinction in tax rates was important.

Fair enough, that's what the government and opposition parties ought to be working out!
Construction industry on 09:54 - Mar 5 with 5259 viewsstevec

Construction industry on 09:33 - Mar 5 by BazzaInTheLoft

New ways to make the poor even poorer.

Any rise in Corporation tax for Companies won't go straight to the bottom line, they'll just pay their employees less, which will also result in lower income tax take (wiping out any gain from taxing high earners).

Limiting tax avoidance, how many times have we heard that one? It doesn't work on a corporate scale, the clue is in the words 'global economy'. What it will mean from a Labour perspective is chasing every small businessman for putting a charge in for his travelling expenses. Whoopy doo.

I'm with you on VAT for private school fees though, although how that £1.6bn will boost the economy you'll have to let me know.

As ever, the real wealth, that of excessive property ownership goes relatively untouched.
Construction industry on 09:54 - Mar 5 with 5253 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Construction industry on 09:40 - Mar 5 by plasmahoop

Billionaires are hardly flooding out of US, India, Germany, Japan, and Singapore:

[Post edited 5 Mar 2019 9:58]
Construction industry on 09:56 - Mar 5 with 5248 viewsPunteR

Construction industry on 09:27 - Mar 5 by Mick_S

I don't know how it works PunteR, but over this way in Hayes and West Drayton the sky is disappearing as there is that much going on - there is also a new estate and business park (ugly as f'eck) on the old Uxbridge RAF base which will house 5,000 new people.

I havnt worked on big sites for big companies subbing for years. If things dont pick up i might have to sign up for an agency and get myself on one.

Construction industry on 10:00 - Mar 5 with 5236 viewsplasmahoop

Construction industry on 09:54 - Mar 5 by BazzaInTheLoft

Billionaires are hardly flooding out of US, India, Germany, Japan, and Singapore:

Even if i accept that the corporation tax rises do bring in the extra 19. 4 billion, are the Labour party's extra spending plans limited to 48 billion a year? Not going to get that far with that
Construction industry on 10:00 - Mar 5 with 5234 viewsPunteR

Construction industry on 09:21 - Mar 5 by ted_hendrix

I retired last September after 38 Years as a site Manager with the same company Punter, our company was and still is one of the major contractors but there was a noticeable downtrend in the order books the last six Months or so of last year, we also took over some of Carillion's larger contracts when they went tits up (mistake in my view).
We were building schools/colleges and academy's nationally under framework agreements last year at a rate of knots but that cash cow looks like emptying its wallet this year also the NHS contracts look like slowing down this year.
We were preferred bidder locally for the fakes new training ground, the cost of that was ridiculous but the last I heard that was put on hold due to the knobs having such a shit season

Brexit is not doing anyone any good, clients are shelving or marking time certain contracts that have been on the table for a while, worst thing at the moment is people not getting paid has reared its ugly head once again, this starts with the client being a late payer and filters all the way down to the three man band sub-contractor.

I'll be very surprised if it picks up this Summer.

I'm the 3 man band subby.

Construction industry on 10:02 - Mar 5 with 5222 views2Thomas2Bowles

Historically Winter up to April/mid-April has always seen a downturn.
Should pick up if you're flexible across the market and not just reliant on large sites works

Otherwise, how are you on basket weaving and whittling, growing market in coffins of such.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Construction industry on 10:09 - Mar 5 with 5193 viewsBoston

Construction industry on 09:54 - Mar 5 by BazzaInTheLoft

I’d do some double checking on your copy and pasting.

Construction industry on 10:10 - Mar 5 with 5192 viewsstevec

Don't know anything about the Construction industry but do any of you get contracted directly by Public Services (thinking of local Councils and the like) to do construction work on Social Housing?

Getting the train into London occasionally these days, it seems there are huge building projects from Clapham Junction into Waterloo/Victoria, for instance, but I suspect virtually all aimed at high spenders and largely foreign investment.

Feel someones missing a trick here, why isn't there huge social housing projects giving you lads more work?
Construction industry on 10:11 - Mar 5 with 5188 viewsBlackCrowe

I'm with you on VAT for private school fees though,

How does that work though? There must be so many parents making a big decision and making huge sacrifices to pay independent school fees that this will just effect loads of loads of kids being taken out of private and moved into state schools, which are struggling to cope as it is.
End result no delivering anywhere near on the estimated tax revenues and a much greater burden on the state. Great work.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Construction industry on 10:15 - Mar 5 with 5171 viewsBoston

Construction industry on 10:11 - Mar 5 by BlackCrowe

I'm with you on VAT for private school fees though,

How does that work though? There must be so many parents making a big decision and making huge sacrifices to pay independent school fees that this will just effect loads of loads of kids being taken out of private and moved into state schools, which are struggling to cope as it is.
End result no delivering anywhere near on the estimated tax revenues and a much greater burden on the state. Great work.

Let me get this right, you pay tax for public education, don’t use it and then have to pay tax again on private schooling....

Construction industry on 10:29 - Mar 5 with 5134 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Construction industry on 10:09 - Mar 5 by Boston

I’d do some double checking on your copy and pasting.

Go on mate enlighten me.
Construction industry on 11:07 - Mar 5 with 5091 viewsCroydonCaptJack

We are quieter than normal and it all slowed down from about August onwards last year.
We retail and distribute Ceramic tiles and associated items and have large tiling contractors, house builders as well as tile shops and retail end users as customers. Brexit seems to be a factor but that is not surprising given the uncertainty and the relentless reporting of the issue.
Construction industry on 11:20 - Mar 5 with 5049 viewsBostonR

There is a huge pool of investors ready to "spend" but it will not be in the UK. Investment money is pouring out of the UK to safe spaces. A lot of that is our private pension pots, so I can understand the rationale.

In my view 2019/20 will be very tight across the capital investment landscape. It is going to get very tough post-Brexit.
Construction industry on 11:26 - Mar 5 with 5036 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Construction industry on 10:10 - Mar 5 by stevec

Don't know anything about the Construction industry but do any of you get contracted directly by Public Services (thinking of local Councils and the like) to do construction work on Social Housing?

Getting the train into London occasionally these days, it seems there are huge building projects from Clapham Junction into Waterloo/Victoria, for instance, but I suspect virtually all aimed at high spenders and largely foreign investment.

Feel someones missing a trick here, why isn't there huge social housing projects giving you lads more work?

I agree but the cost of the land it an issue for this.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024