Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Declan Rice - having a 'mare 06:59 - Mar 22 with 9711 viewsKonk

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/mar/21/declan-rice-apologises-ira-soci

“I am aware a poorly expressed comment I made when I was a junior player has been circulated on social media,” said Rice, who was named Ireland’s young player of the year last week. “I recognise now that my attempt to show support for my teammates at the time could be negatively interpreted. While my naive words were not meant to be a political opinion and do not represent who I am, I sincerely apologise for any offence caused.”

I love this bit - "my attempt to show support for my teammates at the time could be negatively interpreted". Good luck with that one son. I know the FA and his agents will probably get him to lay a wreath at the Cenotaph, re-point the Derry walls, undertake a black cab 'Troubles' tour of Belfast and release a dozen doves into Sammy Wilson's back garden, but I just can't see this going down very well with the England support or public. Given Andy Murray still gets dogs abuse for joking about a Paraguay shirt in about 1952, poor old Declan should prepare himself for the worse.

This is why you shouldn't be allowed on Twitter until you're 65 - and only then when accompanied by a panel of grown-ups and a lawyer.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 07:10 - Mar 22 with 7501 viewsPunteR

Jeez.!
16 year old says something thoughtless shocker!

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 07:19 - Mar 22 with 7480 viewsKonk

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 07:10 - Mar 22 by PunteR

Jeez.!
16 year old says something thoughtless shocker!

I'm very grateful there were no camera phones or social media about before I was about 30, to be honest, but given the sensitive nature of a lot of folk at the moment, I'm not sure everyone will be as philosophical as you! "Where's your poppy, McLean?" bloke will probably have an aneurism when he hears about this. I just loved the statement - "Up the ra" could be negatively interpreted etc. Hilarious. Convinces no-one and he'd be better off saying, I was a kid, I was stupid etc. That said, even him saying he supports a united Ireland, but by peaceful means, would set a lot of folk off.

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 07:30 - Mar 22 with 7455 viewskingsburyR

This is going to turn into a right shite storm for him now.

Hes now unpopular on both sides of the Irish Sea.

Being a NW London Plastic Paddy I spent many a friday evening in the Kilburn National as a 16-18 year old trying to pull.

I used to ignore the occasional bucket being passed around collecting for the IRA but did stand up for the national anthem at the end of the night. I've even been to a Wolf Tones concert but as far as the troubles I pretty much mind my own business.

Do I wear a poppy - No.

Do I support England when they are playing Ireland in the rugby - Yes.
(I would say football but I cant stand any international team)

He was naive probably and trying to fit in with whatever the chat was back then. For it to be dragged up this week as he is about to make his international debut is disgusting but its the world we live in.

As Konk said, I'm glad technology was so crap 25+ years ago.

All the press has donw has turned him in cannon fodder for the morons, uneducated (about the troubles that is), right wing, left wing (probably) and Mr Poppy in ER.

Good Luck going forward Mr Rice! (You'll need it!)

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 07:43 - Mar 22 with 7439 viewsKonk

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 07:30 - Mar 22 by kingsburyR

Being a NW London Plastic Paddy I spent many a friday evening in the Kilburn National as a 16-18 year old trying to pull.

I used to ignore the occasional bucket being passed around collecting for the IRA but did stand up for the national anthem at the end of the night. I've even been to a Wolf Tones concert but as far as the troubles I pretty much mind my own business.

Do I wear a poppy - No.

He was naive probably and trying to fit in with whatever the chat was back then. For it to be dragged up this week as he is about to make his international debut is disgusting but its the world we live in.

All the press has donw has turned him in cannon fodder for the morons, uneducated (about the troubles that is), right wing, left wing (probably) and Mr Poppy in ER.

It's not difficult to imagine a young lad who's worried about being seen as a plastic paddy and feeling like a bit of an outsider, coming out with that sort of thing to try and ingratiate themselves with Irish born and bred team mates, but I don't expect our more sensitive, fragile and nationalistic compatriots to show him much compassion.

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 08:06 - Mar 22 with 7400 viewsBrianMcCarthy

When I was 16 I lived in London, was a pacifist Republican and followed Ireland. Not once would I have uttered the phrase 'Up the Ra', let alone in the public domain. I never felt pressure to, and I never felt less of a Gael for stating my utter contempt for violence and the IRA.

I'll make allowances for pressures applying themselves differently on every teenager, naturally, but I was homesick, lonely and unsure of myself in a new Country and flitting between three London cultures - Irish at home, English at Rangers, and multicultural at work or socially - and I managed to avoid using a phrase that promoted shooting, bombing and maiming.

Up the Ra, my ar$e.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 08:34 - Mar 22 with 7349 viewsKonk

I guess a difference might be that Rice grew-up post-Good Friday, so didn't get to see the same terrible atrocities repeated endlessly on the news, year-after-year, with the effect that has on your views on violence, and he may have grown-up in a household where there were sympathies for the IRA. No idea what his parents/grandparents think of anything, but like you, none of my Irish/2nd generation Irish mates growing up in London had any IRA sympathies, which didn't always go down well in certain pubs around North London when we were younger, because there were plenty of hypocrites who were happy to collect for the IRA whilst bringing their kids up in London. Not trying to make excuses, because as his statement laughably shows, you can't really claim that "Up the Ra!" is open to misinterpretation. He just might not be as enlightened as you and others, mate.

I just thought this was interesting because the silly sod is going to get a lot of stick over this, even if he was a kid at the time.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2019 8:37]

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 08:40 - Mar 22 with 7325 viewsHunterhoop

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 08:34 - Mar 22 by Konk

I guess a difference might be that Rice grew-up post-Good Friday, so didn't get to see the same terrible atrocities repeated endlessly on the news, year-after-year, with the effect that has on your views on violence, and he may have grown-up in a household where there were sympathies for the IRA. No idea what his parents/grandparents think of anything, but like you, none of my Irish/2nd generation Irish mates growing up in London had any IRA sympathies, which didn't always go down well in certain pubs around North London when we were younger, because there were plenty of hypocrites who were happy to collect for the IRA whilst bringing their kids up in London. Not trying to make excuses, because as his statement laughably shows, you can't really claim that "Up the Ra!" is open to misinterpretation. He just might not be as enlightened as you and others, mate.

I just thought this was interesting because the silly sod is going to get a lot of stick over this, even if he was a kid at the time.

In which case, just come out and say, “i’m a cretin. I’m genuinely sorry. It was a stupid comment. I didn’t know much about the conflict nor what I was saying. Now I understand more, I categorically do not support the IRA in any capacity.”

All this my views could be “negatively interpreted” stuff is just BS. I know he was 16. I know we were all crass as hell, naive and immature then, but that doesn’t justify the statement. This “apology” is PR guff not an apology.
Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 08:52 - Mar 22 with 7294 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 08:34 - Mar 22 by Konk

Fair point about the differing times, and I've been thinking about that since. It doesn't excuse his idiocy, but there's a contextual factor there alright.

As you say, ban Twitter for Under-65's.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 08:54 - Mar 22 with 7293 viewsKonk

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 08:40 - Mar 22 by Hunterhoop

In which case, just come out and say, “i’m a cretin. I’m genuinely sorry. It was a stupid comment. I didn’t know much about the conflict nor what I was saying. Now I understand more, I categorically do not support the IRA in any capacity.”

All this my views could be “negatively interpreted” stuff is just BS. I know he was 16. I know we were all crass as hell, naive and immature then, but that doesn’t justify the statement. This “apology” is PR guff not an apology.

Which I completely agree with - it's the least convincing justification/apology ever because neither tweet is exactly ambiguous or open to competing interpretations. I know this isn't how PR works, but I think a genuine apology straight from the horses mouth invariably works so much better than this type of nonsense. Anyhow, the poor sod's now managed to alienate the RoI and I expect, your average English punter. Nice one, Dec.

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 08:55 - Mar 22 with 7290 viewsPunteR

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 08:40 - Mar 22 by Hunterhoop

For a start Rice probably didnt write it. Its sort of out of his hands now and is now in the domain of the powers that be.
Its all bullsh!t and me and you even commenting on it on social media just stirs it up even more.
Twitter should be shut down.

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 09:28 - Mar 22 with 7240 viewsTheChef

I can only assume this Declan Rice bloke is on a wind up - how to alienate both sides of the Irish Sea quickly and easily.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 09:33 - Mar 22 with 7232 viewsrobith

Guy is an absolute melt imo.

Remember watching Scotland Ireland in the 6 NAtions in a well known north London and it descending into a huge ruck when some off the boat lads from Cork thought it the height of banter to shout that when Ireland scored. As someone with the some leanings as Brian I genuinely think they didn't get belted hard enough
Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 09:41 - Mar 22 with 7217 viewsPunteR

Funny how as tensions are rising again this sort of thing comes out. Interesting.

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 09:56 - Mar 22 with 7183 viewsstevec

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 07:43 - Mar 22 by Konk

It's not difficult to imagine a young lad who's worried about being seen as a plastic paddy and feeling like a bit of an outsider, coming out with that sort of thing to try and ingratiate themselves with Irish born and bred team mates, but I don't expect our more sensitive, fragile and nationalistic compatriots to show him much compassion.

Thanks to the advice of more enlightened members of the LFW fraternity, through deep breathing exercise and meditation I've managed to resist the desire to respond to any Guardian inspired threads for almost two months now.

(polite round of applause)
Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 10:00 - Mar 22 with 7178 viewsTheChef

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 09:41 - Mar 22 by PunteR

Funny how as tensions are rising again this sort of thing comes out. Interesting.

Yes funny that isn't it?

I had barely heard of this bloke (admittedly I am fairly out of the loop re the Premier League these days) before this whole story emerged. And it seems like a really odd decision anyway, I don't know how good a player he is but I assume his chances of playing international football would be much higher with Ireland than England. Happy to be corrected.

In any case it definitely looks like they found a useful idiot...

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 10:04 - Mar 22 with 7167 viewsToast_R

Can't believe he's having to apologize for something he wrote as a child. Ridiculous.

The world we live in, actively seeking out where offence may have occured. F*ck me.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2019 10:10]
Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 10:39 - Mar 22 with 7110 viewsTheChef

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 10:04 - Mar 22 by Toast_R

Can't believe he's having to apologize for something he wrote as a child. Ridiculous.

The world we live in, actively seeking out where offence may have occured. F*ck me.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2019 10:10]

Absolutely - because we all need to be offended by something these days. And if not in the immediate present, technology allows you to travel back in time to find something offensive. Ain't that wonderful?

Stop the world, I want to get off.

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 10:40 - Mar 22 with 7109 viewshubble

Declan Rice is having a party,
Bring the vodka and the IRA...
Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 12:11 - Mar 22 with 6970 viewsYorkRanger

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 08:54 - Mar 22 by Konk

Which I completely agree with - it's the least convincing justification/apology ever because neither tweet is exactly ambiguous or open to competing interpretations. I know this isn't how PR works, but I think a genuine apology straight from the horses mouth invariably works so much better than this type of nonsense. Anyhow, the poor sod's now managed to alienate the RoI and I expect, your average English punter. Nice one, Dec.

Agreed, apologise for what was said and blame youth, ignorance, being naïve or any other credible reasons linked to stupidity. Don't try and dress it up as something else.

I grew up in London in the 70s and 80s and was working in Harrods on the day of the bomb. I despised the violence and fear it created.
Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 12:31 - Mar 22 with 6915 viewsMrSheen

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 07:30 - Mar 22 by kingsburyR

Do I wear a poppy - No.

Same background for me, though no sexual craving would be strong enough to make me expose myself to a night full of showbands! Plus, my parents might have been there. The only times I went there were to see The Smiths, and also the Wolfe Tones, in the height of Pogue-mania. I'd grown up listening to their tapes in the car and thought it might be a laugh, but it totally cured me of my residual romantic feelings about "the Struggle". It struck me that nothing would have made those spiteful old Knuts happier than if they'd inspired a local kid on a course that led to him blowing himself up trying to set a bomb to kill people he'd been to school with.

As for Declan Rice, all I can see is a young idiot trying to ingratiate himself with team-mates who he might have feared didn't want a plastic Paddy like him taking a place off one of their friends. Hopefully, Southgate will prevail on him to play so we can all move on to some other outrage.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2019 12:32]
Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 13:07 - Mar 22 with 6856 viewspaulparker

As a kid growing up I hated most Irish people due to the troubles and said some silly stuff without really being educated , fast forward 30 plus years and my wife is Irish and my daughter is half Irish and I know a little of what went on and how my missus suffered when she first came over to England and when she went back from her own people , my father in law was threatened by both the IRA and the UVF during the day
My missus sees herself as half English even though she isn’t , she wears a poppy and goes to rememberance services with me , the way she sees it is she lives in a different country therefore adapts to being English/British , she has no problems with anything and never dwells on the past
So who gives a fcuk about what someone said as a teenager ffs

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 14:20 - Mar 22 with 6764 viewsCiderwithRsie

I don't really give a stuff about Declan Rice, I expect teenagers to say stupid things, and I hope they grow out of it (preferably before becoming leader of the Labour Party).

But I do think it is sad that even a kid could think, years after the Good Friday Agreement, that "up the RA" as a slogan has anything at all to do with the Irish football team.

It's interesting that Brian Mac as an actual Irishman is one of the more critical voices on here and I suspect if the kid hadn't been born and brought up in Kingston-on-Thames he might have known enough about the Troubles to know how stupid it was - maybe he felt he had to dial things up a bit to prove he was one of the lads.
Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 14:52 - Mar 22 with 6707 viewsdistortR

Ok, I'm going to say it, I'm going to find it very hard to warm to him as an England player.

Can't help but feel his ambition has led his heart in his choice of international teams, and that can't be right as far as I'm concerned.
Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 16:59 - Mar 22 with 6626 viewsPunteR

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 14:52 - Mar 22 by distortR

Ok, I'm going to say it, I'm going to find it very hard to warm to him as an England player.

Can't help but feel his ambition has led his heart in his choice of international teams, and that can't be right as far as I'm concerned.

See this is the problem mate. He was born in Kingston thats just down the road from where i was born. The lad is English born and bred.
I dont know anything about him as a player but if he was any good then once again the media have potentially destroyed an English player's career and possibly harming the team in the process.
Oh and of course stirred up former bad feelings of the troubles that went on.
Very responsible journalism by England's media. Well done to them.

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 17:14 - Mar 22 with 6600 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

'release a dozen doves into Sammy Wilson's back garden'

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024