Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Driving in Europe 17:46 - Apr 1 with 684 viewsLeadbelly

Not trying to start a Brexit debate.

Just in case anyone was planning to drive in the EU any time soon please be aware you need to take action to ensure you are travelling legally on the correct IDP. Action also required if you a UK licence holder living in the EU. Failure to do so may require you to take another driving test!

Another note of caution...you will need a form, or forms, from the Post Office (not all IDPs will be valid in all EU countries so you may need more than one). As the majority of people knew nothing about this until very recently there was a bit of a scramble for the forms and, naturally, every Post Office within a reasonable distance of my office in central London ran out last week.

If you are abroad for Easter best check it out.

www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to-drive-in-the-eu-after-brexit

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Driving in Europe on 19:30 - Apr 1 with 665 viewsburnsieespana

Yes lady in Post Office told me last week they had no training on new system and they had issued shed loads of International Driving Licence.
Note if you are going to say France and then Spain believe you will need two as different requirements.
Driving in Europe on 06:46 - Apr 2 with 646 viewsbwildered

For those living in Britain's first city, the Post Office at top of North Hill is moving to inside WH Smith in the precinct.

Is a Anglo-Brexit competition about to take place ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Driving in Europe on 10:42 - Apr 2 with 634 viewsgerry_us

Driving in Europe on 06:46 - Apr 2 by bwildered

For those living in Britain's first city, the Post Office at top of North Hill is moving to inside WH Smith in the precinct.

Was this an APRIL FOOL???
Driving in Europe on 12:37 - Apr 2 with 629 viewsMoor_Pinot

Interesting one Whalers.

When you move to an EU country there's lots you have to change and be aware of but with the appropriate research it's all doable. We spent time listing what we'd need to do and worked through it. The French have all been charming, patient and very helpful.
There are frustrations with some of this - it took 11 stages and 5 months to import the car in order to have french plates for example - but by and large you speak to real people, are not held on a phone line playing Vivaldi and everything we read as advisable to achieve was achieved withing 15 months. People living in France [I cannot speak for other EU countries] are advised to obtain driving licences, giving up the UK one. This, like admission to the health service was straightforward enough proceedurably. The reason it's all appearing on websites and news channels [Brexit] is bbecause many UK folk living in France have NOT done many of these things which with the current situation means their position is indeed more precarious and ill-advised.

As far as the need to take a driving test is concerned I believe this would only apply to residents not visitors - ie those with a right to be here for work or as in my case a pragmatic decision which thence required the appropriate work permit for my self employment and the 'Carte de Séjour' which allows residence for 5 years until at which time one can legally apply for citizenship [dual]. When I arrived here I hated it, missed the U's and the beer and the coast as well as the birdwatching and had no intention of seeking citizenship. Subsequently, with the quality of the health service, the U's on I-follow for 6€, the gentleness of the people, the space and the calm, I will most definitely now seek that duality and the house is up for sale - not to return but to move a bit further west to a slightly less harsh climate.

BUT.................since you've raised the point advice I would give to anyone coming to visit France this year [and it is still as lovely as it always was, if not quite as cheap to eat out] id=s BE AWARE OF MACRON'S SPEED LIMITS. All D roads [A roads in UK] are now subject to 80km/h, some at 70k/h. I know of nobody who has escaped a fine since the introduction of the new limit. We've been done twice [90€ & 45€]. It is VERY difficult to keep to the limit on the big straight empty D roads in particular, especially given that motor manufacturers build their cars with optimum engine/gearing in mind mated to limits of 90km [ or 60 & 70mph in the UK and so forth ]. In my little car I am always changing gear from 4th to 5th and from 5th to 4th and I'd like to tell Macron that the result is that I now use more fuel than I did before.

So.............well done for highlighting this Whalers, but do everyone watch YOUR SPEED over here in France [your UK number plate will not save you and may indeed be attractive to the mobile gendarmes]. Go STEADY !!
Best wishes for Leeds' promotion chances. It's been a long time for you hasn't it.
U's fans are going to have to get used to that waiting.....................

Moor Pinot

Driving in Europe on 15:15 - Apr 2 with 614 viewsnoah4x4

Driving in Europe on 06:46 - Apr 2 by bwildered

Nope, not an April Fool. For the benefit of all exiles...latest Colchester news....

Merely a week after Council spokesmen were denying that anything had been decided, the signs have gone up "Welcome to Britain's First City' and yes, the Post Office is being relocated into the precinct (to be renamed the Forum?), whilst the Mayor will in future be known as 'Caesar'. However, the planned suspended upside down umbrellas have been cancelled due to structural faults in town centre buildings. Instead we are getting an eight foot steel elephant statue in North Station Road and our nineteenth Turkish Barber shop will open in the old Post Office building. The planned ski-lift from rail station up North Hill is not proceeding, but the old Roman Wall is to be illuminated.

All true....(well almost)...
Driving in Europe on 15:45 - Apr 3 with 572 viewsburnsieespana

Driving in Europe on 12:37 - Apr 2 by Moor_Pinot

Interesting one Whalers.

When you move to an EU country there's lots you have to change and be aware of but with the appropriate research it's all doable. We spent time listing what we'd need to do and worked through it. The French have all been charming, patient and very helpful.
There are frustrations with some of this - it took 11 stages and 5 months to import the car in order to have french plates for example - but by and large you speak to real people, are not held on a phone line playing Vivaldi and everything we read as advisable to achieve was achieved withing 15 months. People living in France [I cannot speak for other EU countries] are advised to obtain driving licences, giving up the UK one. This, like admission to the health service was straightforward enough proceedurably. The reason it's all appearing on websites and news channels [Brexit] is bbecause many UK folk living in France have NOT done many of these things which with the current situation means their position is indeed more precarious and ill-advised.

As far as the need to take a driving test is concerned I believe this would only apply to residents not visitors - ie those with a right to be here for work or as in my case a pragmatic decision which thence required the appropriate work permit for my self employment and the 'Carte de Séjour' which allows residence for 5 years until at which time one can legally apply for citizenship [dual]. When I arrived here I hated it, missed the U's and the beer and the coast as well as the birdwatching and had no intention of seeking citizenship. Subsequently, with the quality of the health service, the U's on I-follow for 6€, the gentleness of the people, the space and the calm, I will most definitely now seek that duality and the house is up for sale - not to return but to move a bit further west to a slightly less harsh climate.

BUT.................since you've raised the point advice I would give to anyone coming to visit France this year [and it is still as lovely as it always was, if not quite as cheap to eat out] id=s BE AWARE OF MACRON'S SPEED LIMITS. All D roads [A roads in UK] are now subject to 80km/h, some at 70k/h. I know of nobody who has escaped a fine since the introduction of the new limit. We've been done twice [90€ & 45€]. It is VERY difficult to keep to the limit on the big straight empty D roads in particular, especially given that motor manufacturers build their cars with optimum engine/gearing in mind mated to limits of 90km [ or 60 & 70mph in the UK and so forth ]. In my little car I am always changing gear from 4th to 5th and from 5th to 4th and I'd like to tell Macron that the result is that I now use more fuel than I did before.

So.............well done for highlighting this Whalers, but do everyone watch YOUR SPEED over here in France [your UK number plate will not save you and may indeed be attractive to the mobile gendarmes]. Go STEADY !!
Best wishes for Leeds' promotion chances. It's been a long time for you hasn't it.

Very similar to Spain except unless you speak Spanish like a native, citizenship unlikely but residencia (giving right to live in Spain) renewed every 5 years.
Speed limits also been reduced on most roads but not all.
Driving in Europe on 18:43 - Apr 4 with 547 viewsLeadbelly

Driving in Europe on 12:37 - Apr 2 by Moor_Pinot

Interesting one Whalers.

Thanks for the best wishes for Leeds. It’s been so long even some Man U fans I know are hoping we make it. Apparently they miss us!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024