Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colchester's world record holder 09:42 - Apr 4 with 1601 viewsLeadbelly

Or it will be when it opens!

http://blueabyss.uk/

Can't believe I'd not heard of this until this morning. A feather in the town's cap in my opinion but can Colchester claim any other world record holders...past or present?

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Colchester's world record holder on 12:35 - Apr 4 with 1583 viewspwrightsknees

Apparently the North Station platform is the longest continuous platform in the country (I don't know about in the world) - just pipping Gloucester by a few yards. It was extended during WW1 to ease the congestion for troops.

I have also been told that the number of traffic lights at the Asda/North Station junction complex is (or was) a world record.
Colchester's world record holder on 13:24 - Apr 4 with 1572 viewsnoah4x4

According to Google....in Castle Park...

World record for speed whilst dressed as a two humped pantomime camel.

World record for most participants in a piggy back race ...300

......is there a theme developing?
Colchester's world record holder on 15:03 - Apr 4 with 1563 viewsburnsieespana

Colchester's world record holder on 12:35 - Apr 4 by pwrightsknees

Apparently the North Station platform is the longest continuous platform in the country (I don't know about in the world) - just pipping Gloucester by a few yards. It was extended during WW1 to ease the congestion for troops.

I have also been told that the number of traffic lights at the Asda/North Station junction complex is (or was) a world record.

It still is according to google but dwarfed by three in India which come in at 1366, 1180 and 1972 meters!
Colchester's world record holder on 23:42 - Apr 4 with 1542 viewsdurham_exile

I thought that the blue abyss was what our fiends at Poorman Road were staring into.

Up the U's
[Post edited 4 Apr 2019 23:44]

Durham_exile

Colchester's world record holder on 12:20 - Apr 5 with 1508 viewspwrightsknees

Nice one Durham.

The story goes that a couple of security men at Carrot Road saw an Ipshite Town fan walking along the roof. When they challenged him he said that things were so bad at Ipswich Town that he had decided to throw himself off and end it all.

"Fair enough", said the security men, "but why not do that at Poorman Road?"

"Have you seen the queue?" came the reply.
Colchester's world record holder on 13:07 - Apr 5 with 1504 viewsnoah4x4

Most played song on Victoria Inn juke box 2019

Petula Clark. Downtown.
Colchester's world record holder on 13:31 - Apr 5 with 1499 viewsLeadbelly

Little boy from Ipswich goes to see Santa

“What do you want for Christmas little boy?”

“I really want a unicorn Santa”

“That may be a bit tricky. Is there anything else you might like?”

“I’d really like Ipswich Town to avoid relegation”

“Oh! What colour unicorn do you want?”

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Colchester's world record holder on 17:39 - Apr 5 with 1482 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester's world record holder on 12:20 - Apr 5 by pwrightsknees

Nice one Durham.

The story goes that a couple of security men at Carrot Road saw an Ipshite Town fan walking along the roof. When they challenged him he said that things were so bad at Ipswich Town that he had decided to throw himself off and end it all.

"Fair enough", said the security men, "but why not do that at Poorman Road?"

"Have you seen the queue?" came the reply.

PWK like that one.

Their relegation becomes even more enjoyable if we can achieve promotion.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Colchester's world record holder on 20:26 - Apr 5 with 1464 viewswessex_exile

Colchester's world record holder on 12:35 - Apr 4 by pwrightsknees

I'm sure I remember the late great Roy Castle did a Record Breakers clip at Colchester Station pacing out the length of the platform (technically platforms, but hey - who's counting)

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Colchester's world record holder on 20:56 - Apr 5 with 1460 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester's world record holder on 20:26 - Apr 5 by wessex_exile

I'm sure I remember the late great Roy Castle did a Record Breakers clip at Colchester Station pacing out the length of the platform (technically platforms, but hey - who's counting)

I didn't know about these platform stats for colchester but have just read that the platform was lengthened in 1977 to accommodate two intercity 125 trains.

The three in India are the worlds longest but Colchester is definitely longest in the UK.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Colchester's world record holder on 22:38 - Apr 5 with 1450 viewsoxfcolu

Colchester's world record holder on 20:26 - Apr 5 by wessex_exile

I remember seeing that programme as well.
Colchester's world record holder on 21:36 - Apr 6 with 1403 viewsburnsieespana

Not sure the Colchester platform was lengthened in the 70's but might be wrong.
In the early 60's the station was modernised around the time I went to school in Ipswich.
At that time it was the longest continuous platform but as part of the modernisation the station was modified to how it is today. At the time I seem to recall reading somewhere it could no longer be considered as the longest as no longer continuous.
Without doubt everywhere says it is the longest in the UK so presumably the actual configuration doesn't matter!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024