Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane 18:52 - Apr 11 with 1669 viewsdurham_exile

Gigg Lane Bury on Saturday 13th April 2019 could live long in the annals of Colchester United because it could herald the day our Play Off hopes were either rekindled with a stirring victory or dashed once and for all with another ignominious defeat. Make no mistake it is win or bust on Saturday.

Forget all about Bury’s problems off the field. They have secured an adjournment of their case in the High Court until 15th May. This will give current Chairman Steve Dale time to address the severe financial obligations and debts accrued mainly under the former Chairman Stewart Dale whose business empire has collapsed with debts of £27m. This is a matter of published material, all of which is in the public domain.

There is nothing more to say because like Coventry City’s ground problems, Blackpool’s myriad off field problems and Bolton Wanderers severe financial issues we should not concern ourselves unduly. Whilst not wishing to diminish their problems or issues, we should in no way use them as a distraction or excuse. It is all about securing three points for Colchester United to give ourselves hope that seventh place in the league is achievable this season.

JM has the chance to write himself into folklore by inspiring and motivating his charges to secure those three valuable points on Saturday against the Shakers at Gigg Lane.
I have considered some views from fearless motivation for a source of inspiration. John McGreal needs to inspire his charges thus, if he wishes to include expletives then that is his personal choice:

“When you step out on that field on Saturday… everyone is equal . Talent… it means nothing. They may be more talented than you… but if you show more heart… if you show more focus… If you just decide… this day that you will never accept second place… to anyone If you do that… If you all do that… there is no one we cannot defeat and there is no one that will want to challenge us ever again!

So… do you want to go out there like every other player, like every other team or do you want to stand up this day. To make this day count.

Make it count, leave your heart and soul out on that field at Bury. Make them remember who you are! Make them scared to ever set foot on this field with you ever again!

Every tackle
Every challenge
Every contest
Every shot
Every pass
Make it count!”

If the team doubt the importance of the game (and Bury have already identified it as a must win) then a glance at the league table will hopefully reinforce the message.

Lincoln City 41 83 +35
Mansfield Town 41 72 +27
MK Dons 41 72 +23
Bury 41 71 +24
Tranmere 41 68 +15
FGR 41 64 +18
Exeter 41 62 +10
Carlisle 41 61 +6
COL U 41 60 +8
Swindon 41 59 +3

Remember four victories and a draw will likely secure a play off berth. We only need to finish seventh!!!!

Key remaining matches in League Two; largely irrelevant if we fall at the first hurdle:

13 April
Bury v COL U
Exeter v Port Vale
FGR v Macclesfield
Northampton v Mansfield
Tranmere v MK Dons

19 April
COL U v Grimsby
Exeter v Crawley
Carlisle v Lincoln
Mansfield v Morecambe
Newport v Bury
Tranmere v FGR

22 April
Yeovil v COL U
Bury v Northampton
FGR v Cambridge
Lincoln v Tranmere
Oldham v Mansfield
Stevenage v Exeter

27 April
COLU v MK Dons
Exeter v Oldham
Newport v Lincoln
Tranmere v Bury

4 May
Lincoln v COL U
FGR v Exeter
MK Dons v Mansfield

JM also has a decision to make regarding his team. Ben Stevenson is a doubt with a troublesome hamstring and so should not play at Gigg Lane. Sam Saunders can play instead. Many of our on-field issues have been exacerbated by rushing players back who are not fully fit. Give Ben a Saturday off and let him return for the Easter games against Grimsby and Yeovil.

Similarly, notwithstanding his howler against Oldham, I would play Barnes in goal. The back pass from Kent put him in the situation and he will have learned that such a ball had to be either left to concede the corner or put into the East stand. In the end he simply set up the second and killer Oldham goal. Barnes kicking and distribution are superior to Gilmartin.

Forget all this talk about the fact that we have missed Sam Walker. He made his decision to play championship football at Reading and so far, has only made 7 appearances for the club, normally warming the bench or sometimes not even that. Boarders on this site often moaned about his distribution and failure to command his box in the past.

Comparisons are onerous and normally without foundation. We miss Walker but some would argue that he was not the finished article. Where do you draw the line anyway? Mike Walker was a great favourite of mine together with Alec Chamberlain and Aidan Davison. I didn’t see Percy Ames play but some boarders clearly did, and I am sure that cases for and against could be made for several more.

The back four pick themselves, three in midfield and three upfront. Saturday is one of those occasions where we cannot allow Bury to get an early initiative. We have to attack from the start and so a fluent attacking side is preferred, even if such is anathema to JM. Saturday will give Senior a chance to spring attacks down either flank. Saunders will give experience and a calm and influential midfield presence.

Up front play Dickenson in his preferred role of left winger, whilst allowing big Frank to be the number 9 and Szmodics to play in the number 10 position.

Barnes

Jackson Prosser Kent Vincent-Young

Senior Lapslie Saunders

Szmodics Nouble Dickenson

Subs:

Gilmartin Kensdale Eastman Chilvers Wright Mandron Norris

The weather on Saturday in Bury is set fair with a high of 8 degrees Celsius and a mix of sunshine and cloud. It will be dry, however. Near perfect conditions for football.

The faithful will be housed in the East Stand. The last time that I travelled to Bury John Ward was the manager and we capitulated in the rain to a 4-1 defeat. A reversal of that scoreline on Saturday would do very nicely.

Gigg Lane could be very special and Colchester owe their long suffering supporters a performance and victory.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful. Keep the faith and Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 21:00 - Apr 11 with 1641 viewsGOSBTS

Great preview Durham and good rallying call. Nouble issued a rousing tweet on Saturday to no avail, so this one couldn’t possibly do any worse! I am on holiday in the Netherlands for this one but will be keenly checking the score. Just got my ticket for the MK Dons game so very much hoping for a victory on Saturday that’ll make the final home game of the season incredibly significant for the U’s!

Saunders should start as it sounds like the U’s need to start controlling the middle of the park. Could be worse times to play Bury. Up the U’s!!
Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 09:53 - Apr 12 with 1607 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 21:00 - Apr 11 by GOSBTS

Great preview Durham and good rallying call. Nouble issued a rousing tweet on Saturday to no avail, so this one couldn’t possibly do any worse! I am on holiday in the Netherlands for this one but will be keenly checking the score. Just got my ticket for the MK Dons game so very much hoping for a victory on Saturday that’ll make the final home game of the season incredibly significant for the U’s!

Saunders should start as it sounds like the U’s need to start controlling the middle of the park. Could be worse times to play Bury. Up the U’s!!

GOSBTS - thank you for your response.

Enjoy your holiday. I am also travelling to the home match v MK Dons. Let us hope that all is still to play for at that time.

Incidentally I felt that Brighton were unlucky to lose to City in the semi-final, but at least you witnessed your team at Wembley, hopefully Colchester can achieve the play off final on 25th May.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 12:29 - Apr 12 with 1591 viewsMoor_Pinot

Marvellous uplifting rallying call Durham. None of our squad will have heard anything like it at all for 3 seasons which is why we have stagnated in a post decline sort of way.

I hope it is pinned to the dressing room wall for the rest of the season and should be there from start of next with what is left of the current group ready to buy into it.

Up the next season U's.
[Sorry but I really am going birdwatching tomorrow and saving the 6€. My record of defeats is just so bad I wouldn't impose myself on the lads again. They're not well led and could do ever so much better and deserve to but it feels too late now to change the post Carlisle illness Mr McG was unable to diagnose let alone mend ......it had been coming.....even the 1-2 v Northampton four days after the 6-0 v Crewe should have been a wake up. I watched both and you could see we needed to use options and intelligence not the same one way every time methodology!]

Moor Pinot

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 13:49 - Apr 12 with 1583 viewsnoah4x4

Stirring stuff Durham.

Every tackle 
Every challenge 
Every contest 
Every shot 
Every pass 
Make it count!”

You missed two.
Every Save.
Every kick out of defence.

Given the choice between Barnes or Gilmartin I am not surprised some of our outfielders become less motivated. We played well against Swindon and Oldham but our calamity goalkeepers gifted them goals.
Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 15:50 - Apr 12 with 1573 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 12:29 - Apr 12 by Moor_Pinot

Marvellous uplifting rallying call Durham. None of our squad will have heard anything like it at all for 3 seasons which is why we have stagnated in a post decline sort of way.

I hope it is pinned to the dressing room wall for the rest of the season and should be there from start of next with what is left of the current group ready to buy into it.

Up the next season U's.
[Sorry but I really am going birdwatching tomorrow and saving the 6€. My record of defeats is just so bad I wouldn't impose myself on the lads again. They're not well led and could do ever so much better and deserve to but it feels too late now to change the post Carlisle illness Mr McG was unable to diagnose let alone mend ......it had been coming.....even the 1-2 v Northampton four days after the 6-0 v Crewe should have been a wake up. I watched both and you could see we needed to use options and intelligence not the same one way every time methodology!]

Pinault I sympathise entirely with you and fully understand your reasoning for giving the ifollow a miss tomorrow.

It really is season over if we fail to win at Bury and having (once again) witnessed some shocking defeats this season, I will drive to Bury with a degree of trepidation.

I must remain positive though and hope that the team understand the importance of starting on the front foot and taking the game to Bury and in doing so shake them up a bit.

Both teams need the three points and I believe that Colchester know they are drinking at the last chance saloon and will respond accordingly.

Hopefully I will be able to enjoy the game tomorrow and will leave the twitching to you in France.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 15:53 - Apr 12 with 1572 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 13:49 - Apr 12 by noah4x4

Stirring stuff Durham.

Every tackle 
Every challenge 
Every contest 
Every shot 
Every pass 
Make it count!”

You missed two.
Every Save.
Every kick out of defence.

Given the choice between Barnes or Gilmartin I am not surprised some of our outfielders become less motivated. We played well against Swindon and Oldham but our calamity goalkeepers gifted them goals.

Noah duly noted.

We need to be at our best tomorrow and cannot afford the goalkeeper howlers of late.

A season defining moment awaits and I reckon we are good for the points.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 20:03 - Apr 12 with 1532 viewswessex_exile

Brilliant preview as always Durham, and as has already been said, hope it's pinned on the dressing room wall tomorrow!

Incidentally, whilst I'm sure there was never any real doubt, a deal over unpaid wages has been agreed, and the strike averted - game on!!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47914620

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 20:16 - Apr 12 with 1529 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 20:03 - Apr 12 by wessex_exile

Brilliant preview as always Durham, and as has already been said, hope it's pinned on the dressing room wall tomorrow!

Incidentally, whilst I'm sure there was never any real doubt, a deal over unpaid wages has been agreed, and the strike averted - game on!!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47914620

Wessex real problems for Bury are ongoing despite the agreement to pay wages next week.

We must ignore such distractions and go for the jugular tomorrow. I reckon we can win and keep our hopes alive.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 20:35 - Apr 12 with 1525 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 20:16 - Apr 12 by durham_exile

Wessex real problems for Bury are ongoing despite the agreement to pay wages next week.

We must ignore such distractions and go for the jugular tomorrow. I reckon we can win and keep our hopes alive.

Up the U's

Absolutely, no room for compassion tomorrow - despite their woes, we had no compunction about putting Orient to the sword last season, we must have more of the same tomorrow.

And absolutely twice - today's decision at Bury is really just sticking a plaster over the mess, I'm sure they'll have far bigger challenges to come - I wish them well (after tomorrow).

Up the U's

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 21:23 - Apr 12 with 1515 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 20:35 - Apr 12 by wessex_exile

Absolutely, no room for compassion tomorrow - despite their woes, we had no compunction about putting Orient to the sword last season, we must have more of the same tomorrow.

And absolutely twice - today's decision at Bury is really just sticking a plaster over the mess, I'm sure they'll have far bigger challenges to come - I wish them well (after tomorrow).

Wessex the Orient comparison is spot on.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 07:33 - Apr 13 with 1478 viewsbwildered

The season before last for the Orient incidents . Let's not forget after missing a play off place the first season back at L2, last season saw us falter badly has progression was never made .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 08:08 - Apr 13 with 1473 viewsGOSBTS

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 09:53 - Apr 12 by durham_exile

GOSBTS - thank you for your response.

Enjoy your holiday. I am also travelling to the home match v MK Dons. Let us hope that all is still to play for at that time.

Incidentally I felt that Brighton were unlucky to lose to City in the semi-final, but at least you witnessed your team at Wembley, hopefully Colchester can achieve the play off final on 25th May.

Up the U's

Many thanks Durham! I’m in the West Stand for the first time for the Dons match - hopefully that’ll be a good omen as my record in the South has been mixed!

Oh Wembley was a magical experience. 30,000+ fans of your team walking up to the stadium along Wembley Way is an unforgettable experience and one I very much hope you/we all get to experience with the U’s this year.

Safe travels today and hope you come back with all 3 points! Up the U’s!
Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 08:35 - Apr 13 with 1471 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 07:33 - Apr 13 by bwildered

The season before last for the Orient incidents . Let's not forget after missing a play off place the first season back at L2, last season saw us falter badly has progression was never made .

You’re right - sadly the years seem to fly by these days :-(

Up the U's

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 10:32 - Apr 13 with 1453 viewsbwildered

Third time lucky for McG promotion campaigns, really is last chance saloon.

Remember those .... Rising Sun, Six Bells, Bucks Horns , Barley Mow, Bakers Arms, Lord Nelson , Welcome Sailor , Centurian , Olde King Cole , The Royal Oak, Flying Fox and every U's fan must remember The Drury .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 11:40 - Apr 13 with 1446 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 10:32 - Apr 13 by bwildered

Third time lucky for McG promotion campaigns, really is last chance saloon.

Remember those .... Rising Sun, Six Bells, Bucks Horns , Barley Mow, Bakers Arms, Lord Nelson , Welcome Sailor , Centurian , Olde King Cole , The Royal Oak, Flying Fox and every U's fan must remember The Drury .

Will be leaving to drive to Bury at High Noon!

I am confident about a U's victory.

JM must go on the attack and look to take the game to the Shakers.

There can be no regrets at the end of the game along the lines of if only or we threw it away!!!

Positivity needs to be applied from minute one.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 14:36 - Apr 13 with 1429 viewswessex_exile

Line-up almost spot-on Durham - Gilmartin starts ahead of Barnes, and Mandron instead of Dickenson.

Starting XI: Gilmartin, Jackson, Prosser, Kent, Vincent-Young, Lapslie, Saunders, Nouble, Szmodics, Senior, Mandron

Subs: Barnes, Norris, Dickenson, Eastman, Stevenson, Chilvers, Eisa

Up the U's

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 16:03 - Apr 13 with 1411 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 14:36 - Apr 13 by wessex_exile

Line-up almost spot-on Durham - Gilmartin starts ahead of Barnes, and Mandron instead of Dickenson.

Starting XI: Gilmartin, Jackson, Prosser, Kent, Vincent-Young, Lapslie, Saunders, Nouble, Szmodics, Senior, Mandron

Subs: Barnes, Norris, Dickenson, Eastman, Stevenson, Chilvers, Eisa

Colchester must step it up second half.
Bury are poor and frankly are there for the taking.

Big Frank wasted on the left wing he must play in the centre and Dickenson must come on soon.

We can win this game
Up the U,'s

Durham_exile

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 16:33 - Apr 13 with 1399 viewsgerry_us

"Go Fund Me" donations to pay for Durham's petrol on another totally wasted journey?
Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 16:59 - Apr 13 with 1386 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 16:33 - Apr 13 by gerry_us

"Go Fund Me" donations to pay for Durham's petrol on another totally wasted journey?

Send an invoice to Mr McGreal

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 09:40 - Apr 14 with 1263 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to shake up the top seven starting at Gigg Lane on 16:59 - Apr 13 by Leadbelly

Send an invoice to Mr McGreal

Is that the same manager who is able to hear this little ditty

McGreal he's scouse he'll steal your council house! As sung by the faithful.

Difficult to find any levity at such a time. The capitulation to five out of six defeats has scuppered any hope for a reunion at Poorman Road next year.

JM needs to give the youngsters a chance for the remaining games. This has been a profligate season where first we blew automatic promotion and now have kissed goodbye to seventh place.

Woeful, wasteful and frankly not good enough.

Bury were poor but they did not have to play well to beat a team that is devoid of any goal scorers.

Will write more later perhaps.

Simply shocking

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024