Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research 02:21 - Apr 17 with 8081 viewstheacademic

Hi all,

I am involved in a research study looking at fans' views of sex and gender classification in sport and I am hoping you can spare a few minutes of your time to share your thoughts in an online survey: https://teesside.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/transgender-and-sport

Thanks in advance.
Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research (n/t) on 02:48 - Apr 17 with 6448 viewstimcocking

First, let's hear what common sense science and logic have to say on the issue...

[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 7:01]
Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 05:06 - Apr 17 with 6418 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Done.

Interesting survey.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 07:31 - Apr 17 with 6356 viewsnix

Completed. Could you link to the results when you've completed the survey please?
Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 08:07 - Apr 17 with 6327 viewsTheChef

Men.

Women.

You're welcome.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 08:19 - Apr 17 with 6320 viewsconnell10

Im totally against transgender people competing against real women , to me its totally unfair and should be stopped! We have enough cheating in sport without all this bollocks or not bollocks depending on which way ya cut!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 08:40 - Apr 17 with 6295 viewsRangersDave

The problem with this subject is that no matter what you say on here, someone will at sometime, pop along with a 'snowflake' attitude and ruin it for good discussion.

For my point of view, there are natural males and females, end of.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 09:10 - Apr 17 with 6271 viewsTheChef

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 08:19 - Apr 17 by connell10

Im totally against transgender people competing against real women , to me its totally unfair and should be stopped! We have enough cheating in sport without all this bollocks or not bollocks depending on which way ya cut!

It is, in the end, a load of bollocks.

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 09:18 - Apr 17 with 6266 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I found it interesting because I have no idea about the science or the physiology behind the debate. I've read some articles, but I'm no wiser. I simply don't know what to believe or what to think.

For instance, if it's as simple as "there are men, there are women and that's it" then any athlete born with female genitalia should be allowed to race as a female, despite possibly having levels of testosterone equivalent to an average male. But then I read that that is a distinct advantage..

The few articles I have read - they were in 'The Best American Sports Writing of 2017' or maybe '2016' or '2018' - tell harrowing stories of female athletes who became successful and then were hounded into countless excruciating and humiliating tests to prove that they were indeed female.

The only thing I have learned for sure is that this is far, far from simple.

Login to get fewer ads

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 09:35 - Apr 17 with 6233 viewsTheChef

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 09:18 - Apr 17 by BrianMcCarthy

I found it interesting because I have no idea about the science or the physiology behind the debate. I've read some articles, but I'm no wiser. I simply don't know what to believe or what to think.

For instance, if it's as simple as "there are men, there are women and that's it" then any athlete born with female genitalia should be allowed to race as a female, despite possibly having levels of testosterone equivalent to an average male. But then I read that that is a distinct advantage..

The few articles I have read - they were in 'The Best American Sports Writing of 2017' or maybe '2016' or '2018' - tell harrowing stories of female athletes who became successful and then were hounded into countless excruciating and humiliating tests to prove that they were indeed female.

The only thing I have learned for sure is that this is far, far from simple.

I'd argue there is an agenda to make things less simple and create an even more confusing world for our children, rather than just letting them accept the sex they are born with.

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 09:46 - Apr 17 with 6207 views2Thomas2Bowles

Hmm so some on here are saying there are binary Male/Females

So how do intersex (IS) people fit into that?

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 09:58 - Apr 17 with 6201 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 09:35 - Apr 17 by TheChef

I'd argue there is an agenda to make things less simple and create an even more confusing world for our children, rather than just letting them accept the sex they are born with.

Even if we were to find out that that were true, Chef, there's still the second issue here - it still wouldn't help the athletes being prodded and poked by doctors just because they're good at sports.

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 10:13 - Apr 17 with 6183 viewsnadera78

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 09:46 - Apr 17 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Actually, intersex people have been especially vocal at being used by Trans Rights Activists as some kind of pawn in this battle. Intersex is a very rare medical condition and it is nothing like claiming that you were born in the wrong body and would like to pretend you are something else.
Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 10:30 - Apr 17 with 6138 views2Thomas2Bowles

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 10:13 - Apr 17 by nadera78

Actually, intersex people have been especially vocal at being used by Trans Rights Activists as some kind of pawn in this battle. Intersex is a very rare medical condition and it is nothing like claiming that you were born in the wrong body and would like to pretend you are something else.

Agree but again how do intersex fit in with this idea that gender is binary.

I find Religious groups don't want to discuss that at all.

Another question, if a Woman is born without a womb, is she still a Woman

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 11:06 - Apr 17 with 6113 viewstimcocking

In Thailand, where of course Gathoey are just a normal run of the mill part of life and accepted everywhere and by everybody for centuries now with no problems, i don't think it has ever occurred to anybody here to enter one of them in the women's events.
Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 11:22 - Apr 17 with 6107 viewsTheChef

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 11:06 - Apr 17 by timcocking

In Thailand, where of course Gathoey are just a normal run of the mill part of life and accepted everywhere and by everybody for centuries now with no problems, i don't think it has ever occurred to anybody here to enter one of them in the women's events.

Aren't they already busy washing their hair?

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 11:25 - Apr 17 with 6105 viewsrsonist

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 09:35 - Apr 17 by TheChef

Seems to me it's not the children who are confused.
Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 11:33 - Apr 17 with 6097 viewskensalriser

Have to give you credit for your Job-like patience in facing utter fckwittery, Brian. Thank fck there are people prepared to give an issue more than a second's thought before spouting knee-jerk ignorance.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 12:14 - Apr 17 with 6054 viewsWadR

Not a slight against OP because there is, of course, an important discussion to be had here but so much of recent media discourse on this issue is transparent dogwhistling targeting the trans community.

When folk, like Peterson and Rogan, who have zero authority to talk on this issue, propagate misinformation and transphobic rhetoric - it takes away from the voices who have actual informed opinions and further ostracises an already marginalised community.

Couldn't find an excellent article I read last month on this topic, but think this one is pretty good too..

https://www.businessinsider.com/what-critics-get-wrong-about-transgender-athlete
Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 12:45 - Apr 17 with 6017 viewsMatch82

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 08:40 - Apr 17 by RangersDave

The problem with this subject is that no matter what you say on here, someone will at sometime, pop along with a 'snowflake' attitude and ruin it for good discussion.

For my point of view, there are natural males and females, end of.

At some point, someone is going to pop along with a different view to you and ruin the discussion. Is that what you're saying?
Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 12:47 - Apr 17 with 6003 views2Thomas2Bowles

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 10:13 - Apr 17 by nadera78

Re-reading that I find I don't fully agree, if your biological body, genitalia, chromosomes can mess up then so can the brain so it would be unfair to say they are pretending.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 12:50]

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 14:58 - Apr 17 with 5945 viewsnadera78

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 12:47 - Apr 17 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Re-reading that I find I don't fully agree, if your biological body, genitalia, chromosomes can mess up then so can the brain so it would be unfair to say they are pretending.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 12:50]

No, they genuinely believe they were born in the wrong body, but believing something doesn't mean it is true. The question is - what was born in the wrong body? Your soul, your consciousness? I mean, that's just nonsense. It becomes a religious view rather than a scientific one.

Body dysmorphia is a serious mental health condition and should be respected in exactly the same way as any other. If a man, for example, wants to live as a woman in order to satisfy his mental health condition, then fine, he's not doing anyone any harm. But if he demands that the rest of society recognise him as a woman then that becomes a problem. Why should biological males be allowed to use female changing rooms alongside women and young girls? Why should a male sex-offender be sent to a women's prison alongside some of our most vulnerable women and be free to take advantage of that? Why should a man be able to enter women's sports when he enjoys a massive physical advantage?

Why is it always women that lose out in these scenarios? Just recently a rape crisis centre in Vancouver lost its funding because it refused to admit men. Yes, I know men do get raped, but there are other facilities they can attend. Why should women not be allowed a venue that they can attend, having suffered such an horrific ordeal, without fear of men being there?

It is always women that lose out - the Trans Rights Activists don't recognise this but their behaviour is a classic demonstration of male privilege.
Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 15:03 - Apr 17 with 5936 viewsBluce_Ree

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 09:46 - Apr 17 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Let's get this straight. There aren't going to be women transitioning to men and looking to compete in a sport at a world class level. The issue is 100% the other way. Should transgender women be able to compete against natural women is the question. IS people. Well that's simple. If you're born with a vag, then go at it. Even if you've got additional bits. You can claim to be born a woman there.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research (n/t) on 15:36 - Apr 17 with 5901 viewsrobith

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research (n/t) on 02:48 - Apr 17 by timcocking

First, let's hear what common sense science and logic have to say on the issue...

[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 7:01]

Hi mate, sorry you've said common sense, but you've accidentally linked to a Jordan Peterson video
Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 15:44 - Apr 17 with 5885 viewsrobith

I know a trans person, and I would share their experience here, but the discourse suggests it won't be welcomed, and I don't want to be the snowflake who disputes the END OF mentality!

I will say though that most trans people spend their lives mainly trying not to be murdered and to be called the right name. The idea that women's sport is going to be swamped by men declaring themselves women, or that men are wearing dresses to go into toilets to sexually assault women (when from looking at conviction rates they could just do it anyway and get away scot free) is a moral panic whipped up by the evangelical right and they're doing a very effective job of it.

It's complicated issue, certainly, but one which is often discussed without a modicum of empathy
Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 16:10 - Apr 17 with 5849 views2Thomas2Bowles

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 14:58 - Apr 17 by nadera78

No, they genuinely believe they were born in the wrong body, but believing something doesn't mean it is true. The question is - what was born in the wrong body? Your soul, your consciousness? I mean, that's just nonsense. It becomes a religious view rather than a scientific one.

Body dysmorphia is a serious mental health condition and should be respected in exactly the same way as any other. If a man, for example, wants to live as a woman in order to satisfy his mental health condition, then fine, he's not doing anyone any harm. But if he demands that the rest of society recognise him as a woman then that becomes a problem. Why should biological males be allowed to use female changing rooms alongside women and young girls? Why should a male sex-offender be sent to a women's prison alongside some of our most vulnerable women and be free to take advantage of that? Why should a man be able to enter women's sports when he enjoys a massive physical advantage?

Why is it always women that lose out in these scenarios? Just recently a rape crisis centre in Vancouver lost its funding because it refused to admit men. Yes, I know men do get raped, but there are other facilities they can attend. Why should women not be allowed a venue that they can attend, having suffered such an horrific ordeal, without fear of men being there?

It is always women that lose out - the Trans Rights Activists don't recognise this but their behaviour is a classic demonstration of male privilege.

That's a fecking big tar brush you are painting with
While you have some valid points, they do not and should not be directed at all

I'm going to skip to Robith post

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024