Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U'sual Champions League - Semi-finals 19:46 - Apr 18 with 1582 viewswessex_exile

As the dust settles on the quarter-final matches, using the Excel randbetween() function, the draw for the semi-finals has been made, and the head-to-head matches are:
BFG v basher2010
noah4x4 v ghughes11

The matches to predict are as follows:
30/4/2019 - Spurs v Ajax
1/5/2019 - Barcelona v Liverpool
7/5/2019 - Liverpool v Barcelona
8/5/2019 - Ajax v Spurs

Rules
As a reminder, in addition to the usual score prediction, each competitor must also predict one goal-scorer per match.

As usual, there will be 1pt for an outcome, 3pts if you get a result spot-on, and a bonus 1pt for each goal scored by your nominated goal-scorer in that particular match (own goals will count). Noah, you have played tactically and got in very early with your match predictions, which will definitely stand, but I will still need a nominated goal-scorer from you.

You cannot match anything with your opponent, so whilst first to post won't matter, it may make a difference in restricting popular options. For the second legs, the scores that matter (and goal-scorers) will be at the end of normal time - extra-time and/or penalties won't count.

If a tie-break is needed, it would normally be to predict the attendance at the next U's match, so it remains to be seen whether there will be one after 8th May - we can but hope. If not, I will choose another fixture for the tie-break attendance prediction.

Good luck everyone

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

U'sual Champions League - Semi-finals on 22:01 - May 7 with 472 viewsghughes11

Well, well, well!

I think Klopp must have seen me change my prediction and used that as motivation for his players!

Well done Liverpool :-)

No points for myself or noah - so all to play for in the Ajax game. I might have to rethink my prediction in that match tactically to go through.

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

U'sual Champions League - Semi-finals on 22:39 - May 7 with 460 viewswessex_exile

Quite remarkable!

Liverpool serve up yet another night of European glory at Anfield to turn around a seemingly impossible 0-3 first leg result against imperious Barcelona to win the second leg 4-0 (two goals apiece for Origi and Wijnaldum), and the semi-final 4-3 on aggregate.

A full update will follow after the final match tomorrow, but as things stand the U'sual Champions League semi-final is as follows:

BFG............3 v 1.....basher2010
noah4x4.....5 v 2.....ghughes11

BFG picks up the only point with the Liverpool home win, but commiserations must also go to ghughes11 who quite sensibly changed his home win prediction to a Barca away win when it was announced that both Salah and Firmino would miss out through injury.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League - Semi-finals on 22:56 - May 7 with 450 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League - Semi-finals on 22:39 - May 7 by wessex_exile

Quite remarkable!

Liverpool serve up yet another night of European glory at Anfield to turn around a seemingly impossible 0-3 first leg result against imperious Barcelona to win the second leg 4-0 (two goals apiece for Origi and Wijnaldum), and the semi-final 4-3 on aggregate.

A full update will follow after the final match tomorrow, but as things stand the U'sual Champions League semi-final is as follows:

noah4x4.....5 v 2.....ghughes11

BFG picks up the only point with the Liverpool home win, but commiserations must also go to ghughes11 who quite sensibly changed his home win prediction to a Barca away win when it was announced that both Salah and Firmino would miss out through injury.

Incidentally, and if it's needed, as there are no more U's games this season, the tie-break prediction will be attendance at Friday's play-off match between Tranmere v Forest Green Rovers. Nearest to the actual figure (above or below) will win, and competitors may post here or PM me, either will do.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League - Semi-finals on 23:26 - May 7 with 443 viewsghughes11

U'sual Champions League - Semi-finals on 22:56 - May 7 by wessex_exile

Incidentally, and if it's needed, as there are no more U's games this season, the tie-break prediction will be attendance at Friday's play-off match between Tranmere v Forest Green Rovers. Nearest to the actual figure (above or below) will win, and competitors may post here or PM me, either will do.

Help me out with this one Wessex.

So at the moment, myself and noah are predicting a Ajax win.

If they do, then I would be relying on an exact result and/or David Neres to out score van de Beek?

Might be better off going for a Spurs win??? How many points do I make up if they do, and so I dont have to rely on exact score and scorer?

U'sual Champions League - Semi-finals on 23:49 - May 7 with 441 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League - Semi-finals on 23:26 - May 7 by ghughes11

Help me out with this one Wessex.

So at the moment, myself and noah are predicting a Ajax win.

If they do, then I would be relying on an exact result and/or David Neres to out score van de Beek?

Might be better off going for a Spurs win??? How many points do I make up if they do, and so I dont have to rely on exact score and scorer?

As all of the data is out there anyway, I can confirm that if you get a spot-on score, a goal-scorer bonus point, and noah does not get a goal-scorer bonus, you will go through with the spot-on score.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League - Semi-finals on 00:25 - May 8 with 433 viewsghughes11

Don't like my chances there, so I will put all my eggs in the Spurs winning basket (that will please Daniel!)

So I will change my prediction to:

Ajax 0-2 Spurs - Son Heung-min

U'sual Champions League - Semi-finals on 05:29 - May 8 with 423 viewsnoah4x4

I think I should therefore change mine too if we are playing that tactical game.

0 - 1 Spurs victory please Wessex. Erickson.

Frankly, I don't think a change of prediction should be permitted once the result of semi-final one, leg two is complete, but I will take advantage of the current regulations if ghughes11 can change his prediction....
U'sual Champions League - Semi-finals on 05:47 - May 8 with 414 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League - Semi-finals on 05:29 - May 8 by noah4x4

I think I should therefore change mine too if we are playing that tactical game.

Frankly, I don't think a change of prediction should be permitted once the result of semi-final one, leg two is complete, but I will take advantage of the current regulations if ghughes11 can change his prediction....

It certainly is an administrative headache noah. Though amendments to predictions have always been permitted, I will take a view on this for next season’s competition. Your revised prediction is logged btw.

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

U'sual Champions League - Semi-finals on 20:18 - May 8 with 395 viewsghughes11

U'sual Champions League - Semi-finals on 05:29 - May 8 by noah4x4

1-0 Ajax already!

Oh well - looks like I'm just relying on Son Heung-Min to score 5 goals now to go through.

Well done Noah.

I knew Divock Origi would score the same amount of goals as Messi over the 2 legs - should have gone with my gut instinct - ha ha ha

U'sual Champions League - Semi-finals on 20:47 - May 8 with 393 viewsghughes11

2-0 Ajax now :-(

Yeah, I agree Noah - I don't think that we should be able to alter predictions!

Wessex - can you go back and work out the scores with no changes to my predictions ;-)

U'sual Champions League - Semi-finals on 22:29 - May 8 with 366 viewswessex_exile

What an incredible two second leg matches this week - Liverpool pull back a 0-3 deficit to win 4-3, and tonight Spurs somehow pull back an aggregate 3-0 deficit to win 3-2 in the 96th minute to go through on away goals - absolutely amazing, and for our webmaster Daniel, congratulations sir!!!

Tonight's game has finished Ajax 2 (de Ligt, Ziyech) Spurs 3 (Moura x3)

So, the U'sual Champions League semi-final results are as follows:
noah4x4.....6 v 3.....ghughes11

No points for BFG v basher2010 tonight, so congratulations to BFG for going through courtesy of being the only competitor to back Liverpool to get the win yesterday, and the two goals for Messi last week. However, genuine commiserations to basher2010, who until Moura's 96th minute winner tonight was going through with a spot-on 2-2 draw.

In the "tactically-voting" semi-final, noah4x4 holds on to his comfortable 3pt lead to go through to the final, and as top scorer, with the Spurs away win outcome and an impressive total of 6pts. Despite some serious consideration of possibilities, ghughes11 loses out on 3pts (equal to BFG winning the other semi-final) with the same Spurs win outcome result tonight.

An excellent end to the U'sual Champions League semi-finals, and to be honest, an excellent end to the real Champions League semi-finals.

The final will be Spurs v Liverpool, on 1st June (kick-off at 8pm) - prediction requirements will be posted in due course.

Congratulations to BFG and noah4x4, and my profound thanks to basher2010 and ghughes11 for their excellent contribution to the tournament.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League - Semi-finals on 22:42 - May 8 with 364 viewsnoah4x4

U'sual Champions League - Semi-finals on 05:47 - May 8 by wessex_exile

It certainly is an administrative headache noah. Though amendments to predictions have always been permitted, I will take a view on this for next season’s competition. Your revised prediction is logged btw.

I did envisage ghughes11 and me logging on every ten minutes all day to reverse each other's prediction Wessex. It didn't happen, but all I had to do was select the same winner as he then he needed an unlikely hat-trick to force a play off. But as he changed his to gain tactical advantage, then it's only fair that I did too. Needs a rule revision for 2020.
U'sual Champions League - Semi-finals on 22:45 - May 8 with 363 viewsnoah4x4

Must change my earlier utterly wrong final prediction. Please accept...

Spurs 1 - Liverpool 2. Salah.
U'sual Champions League - Semi-finals on 22:52 - May 8 with 360 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League - Semi-finals on 22:45 - May 8 by noah4x4

Must change my earlier utterly wrong final prediction. Please accept...

Spurs 1 - Liverpool 2. Salah.

There will be other predictions to make Noah, and as usual the option will be for them to be "closed bids" via PM. If you choose to stick with your score and goalscorer that's your call, but the choice will be yours once I post the U'sual Champions League final prediction request.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League - Semi-finals on 01:37 - May 9 with 340 viewsghughes11

U'sual Champions League - Semi-finals on 22:42 - May 8 by noah4x4

I did envisage ghughes11 and me logging on every ten minutes all day to reverse each other's prediction Wessex. It didn't happen, but all I had to do was select the same winner as he then he needed an unlikely hat-trick to force a play off. But as he changed his to gain tactical advantage, then it's only fair that I did too. Needs a rule revision for 2020.

Ha ha - someone was asleep during your day - I only logged in when I got to work at 7am NZT (8pm BST) as the game was kicking off - but hey-ho! The GOAT Messi was the big factor from the first leg!

Well done noah! Here's hoping for the double :-)

I struggled in the prediction league (started well and then like Col U dropped).
Happy with my cup runs though. Semi finals in the CL and runner-up in the cup!

That should bring me a bit of money to strengthen in the pre-season - ready for promotion next year!

Cheers for organising Wessex!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024