Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Three points nailed on today for the Super U's 09:16 - Apr 19 with 1061 viewsdurham_exile

Let’s keep things simple this week.

The super U’s are currently exhibiting relegation form. 7 wins in the last 22 games and also during that time 4 draws and 11 miserable defeats. The latest at Gigg Lane last Saturday where a very poor Bury team (notwithstanding financial and legal difficulties) were frankly there for the taking, but after a first half which promised much, we were abject second half and conceded two soft goals.

Sam Saunders had a decent game but fluffed two promising free kicks, Tom Lapslie was heroic with two important blocks. Big Frank was wasted on the left wing and always had three Bury defenders when he did receive the ball. I’m sorry but Rene Gilmartin may look resplendent in his Goalkeeping kit, but he is not the answer between the sticks. There is a real danger that Dillon Barnes may well lose all confidence if JM doesn’t show some faith in the lad and get him back in goal. The 317 faithful deserved better and it was significant that at the end only a handful of players came to acknowledge the faithful and JM was not amongst them.

JM has big problems with his tactics, formation, playing staff and ability to manage. He should go and quickly. The squad has been wasted, opportunities lost at every turn and the performances have been poor at best recently. FGR, Exeter and Bury are examples of games where we have not turned up for at least 45 minutes a time (at Brunton Park we didn’t turn up at all!!!).

Table:

Lincoln 42 84 Promoted
Bury 42 74
Mansfield 42 73
MK Dons 42 72
Tranmere 42 71
FGR 42 67
Exeter 42 65
Carlisle 42 61
COL U 42 60

All season long we have been in the top seven, until Christmas there was real hope that we would go up automatically. The Carlisle defeat (the worst that I have seen Colchester play for at least 10 years) started the rot. No wonder people are angry.

The irony of course is that four victories in our last four games could see a minor miracle with 72 points. But even if we avoid the ignominy of another double defeat to the Mariners today and relegated haunted Yeovil are despatched on Easter Monday, can we honestly say that MK Dons will allow themselves to be beaten at the JobServe on Saturday week and then will the Cowley brothers do us a favour at Sincil Bank on the last day.

I must be mad, but I will be there against the Franchise and the Imps. And of course, I will be there again next season, but patience is wearing thin and another profligate season of classic underachievement will see more supporters voting with their feet.

Michael Jolley brings his Mariners to the JobServe confident of securing another victory after all our home form has been abject of late and it is surely up to the playing staff to put on a performance for the faithful and give some hope albeit unlikely at this parlous state that we find ourselves in.

That is the curse of supporting Colchester United and this year I have clocked up over 47 years of loyal support. Many on this board have endured much more. I remember at Huish Park in May 2006 when after the final whistle, we stood with tears of joy, relief and elation, the gentleman next to me told me that he had supported Colchester for 65 years and had waited for this day. He deserved that moment and the opportunity to watch the team in the Championship.

JM simply has to win today and so the following must play from the outset.

Barnes

Jackson Eastman Kent Vincent-Young

Senior Saunders Lapslie

Mandron Nouble Dickenson

Subs:

Gilmartin Chilvers Stevenson Eisa Norris Szmodics Dunne

Weather today at the ground a balmy 19 degrees and a mix of cloud and sunshine. Get some sunscreen on.

Remaining Key fixtures:

Today
Exeter v Crawley
Carlisle v Lincoln
Tranmere v FGR
COL U v Grimsby

Easter Monday
FGR v Cambridge
Grimsby v Carlisle
Stevenage v Exeter
Yeovil v COL U

27 April
Carlisle v Crawley
Crewe v FGR
Exeter v Oldham
COL U v MK Dons

4 May
FGR v Exeter
Yeovil v Carlisle
Lincoln v COL U

Come on give the faithful what they want, three points and four home goals.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 12:02 - Apr 19 with 1030 viewsMoor_Pinot

Marvellous Durham, I salute your preview, possibly your best so far. Yes you kept it simple and forthright and its tone cannot be challenged. The club have underachieved since the autumn because we have management who can't do it. We will lose several of a very able and capable squad and I have less hope for next season than in previous years because there's a probability that we will finish lower than last season and thus our long decline will continue rather than at least be arrested. We'll not be an exciting choice for a prospective player.

I salute your attending the last 2 games as well. For some odd reason I feel certain we'll win at Lincoln but suspect we could get hammered at Yeovil. I have seen 80% of the games this season with i-follow and of course, stating the obvious [other than management ineptitude] it is consistency that has been the missing component. But you cannot be consistent if you only play one way and lack the competence to read opposition squads/methodology. Indeed the only consistent thing playing McGreal's way will be that the team will be inconsistent!

So, I shall not tune in today either. It's Spring, it's 24 degrees in the Creuse, the cuckoo is calling and I think I'll go for another 5 mile birding walk. It used to be my ritual.........Abberton reservoir then on to Layer Road!! A good walk is probably better for me health!! Like you I have been there for the U's for a long time [55th season this one] but the last ten years or so have been the least enjoyable.

But I won't give up, maybe next season will see the right mix at the club but I'm not confident other than that the number of regulars will drop a little further as witnessed by the crowd v Tranmere. A win today will improve my morale but only highlight my dismay at what has been allowed to happen since November.

Up the U's

Moor Pinot

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 12:52 - Apr 19 with 1027 viewsdurham_exile

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 12:02 - Apr 19 by Moor_Pinot

Marvellous Durham, I salute your preview, possibly your best so far. Yes you kept it simple and forthright and its tone cannot be challenged. The club have underachieved since the autumn because we have management who can't do it. We will lose several of a very able and capable squad and I have less hope for next season than in previous years because there's a probability that we will finish lower than last season and thus our long decline will continue rather than at least be arrested. We'll not be an exciting choice for a prospective player.

I salute your attending the last 2 games as well. For some odd reason I feel certain we'll win at Lincoln but suspect we could get hammered at Yeovil. I have seen 80% of the games this season with i-follow and of course, stating the obvious [other than management ineptitude] it is consistency that has been the missing component. But you cannot be consistent if you only play one way and lack the competence to read opposition squads/methodology. Indeed the only consistent thing playing McGreal's way will be that the team will be inconsistent!

So, I shall not tune in today either. It's Spring, it's 24 degrees in the Creuse, the cuckoo is calling and I think I'll go for another 5 mile birding walk. It used to be my ritual.........Abberton reservoir then on to Layer Road!! A good walk is probably better for me health!! Like you I have been there for the U's for a long time [55th season this one] but the last ten years or so have been the least enjoyable.

But I won't give up, maybe next season will see the right mix at the club but I'm not confident other than that the number of regulars will drop a little further as witnessed by the crowd v Tranmere. A win today will improve my morale but only highlight my dismay at what has been allowed to happen since November.

Up the U's

Pinault - thank you for your comments.

Brilliant weather you are enjoying as well. I think you are very wise to enjoy the countryside. Even in darkest Durham it is 18 degrees today and the sunshine is a real tonic.

One thing is certain anything less than six points over Easter and another season in the basement beckons.

I suppose in my heart of hearts I know that the season is over (recent form has put paid to promotion) but I continue to hope that we can at least finish strongly and who knows 72 points might just be enough.

After such a wretched run of results and dearth of goals, it is little wonder that the fans are disgruntled. We have underachieved again and whilst no one has a divine right to promotion I totally agree with you we are advancing backwards with each season.

Can we unearth some more Cowley brothers or equivalent, because JM has had more than enough loyalty from the faithful and has been found wanting.

Can the U's secure three points today, I would like to think so, we have been embarrassed enough at home recently. Time to send Grimsby home with the ball firmly in the back of their trawl net on more than three occasions!!!

Enjoy the sunshine and your walk.

Keep the faith

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 13:42 - Apr 19 with 1017 viewsmfb_cufc

The play-off door has been left slightly open for us again with Exeter currently losing 2-0 at home to Crawley.

mfb

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 14:25 - Apr 19 with 1011 viewswessex_exile

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 13:42 - Apr 19 by mfb_cufc

The play-off door has been left slightly open for us again with Exeter currently losing 2-0 at home to Crawley.

They pulled one back early in the second half, but are now losing 3-1 with half an hour to go...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 14:49 - Apr 19 with 1001 viewswessex_exile

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 14:25 - Apr 19 by wessex_exile

They pulled one back early in the second half, but are now losing 3-1 with half an hour to go...

Still 3-1 to Crawley, with 5 minutes to go.

Up the U's

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 15:03 - Apr 19 with 998 viewsmfb_cufc

Full time 3-1. Crawley score with their only three shots in the game. A massive result for us, important we win now today.

Grimsby 9 games without a win, and only 1 goal in their last 5 games. No excuses for not winning this one.

mfb

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 15:33 - Apr 19 with 990 viewswessex_exile

Nouble puts the U's 1-0 up - come on Col U!

Up the U's

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 15:58 - Apr 19 with 981 viewsdurham_exile

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 15:33 - Apr 19 by wessex_exile

Nouble puts the U's 1-0 up - come on Col U!

Big 45 minutes now, three points crucial today.

Exeter are as indifferent at home as we have been and that could be our salvation.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 16:17 - Apr 19 with 975 viewsdurham_exile

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 15:58 - Apr 19 by durham_exile

Big 45 minutes now, three points crucial today.

Exeter are as indifferent at home as we have been and that could be our salvation.

Up the U's

Suddenly the play off competition is heating up with Stevenage and Newport joining us on 63 points and Tranmere having a mare at home to FGR.

Come on the U's we need more goals against the Mariners

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 16:31 - Apr 19 with 970 viewsdurham_exile

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 16:17 - Apr 19 by durham_exile

Suddenly the play off competition is heating up with Stevenage and Newport joining us on 63 points and Tranmere having a mare at home to FGR.

Come on the U's we need more goals against the Mariners

Up the U's

Dickenson off Mandron on
Come on second goal needed

Durham_exile

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 16:54 - Apr 19 with 965 viewsdurham_exile

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 16:31 - Apr 19 by durham_exile

Dickenson off Mandron on
Come on second goal needed

We'll take that now onto Huish Park.
Play offs still alive just
Up the U's

Durham_exile

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 17:00 - Apr 19 with 962 viewswessex_exile

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 16:54 - Apr 19 by durham_exile

We'll take that now onto Huish Park.
Play offs still alive just
Up the U's

All we can do is win our games. Today it was Exeter slipping up, who knows who it might be on Monday - I'll be at Huish Park praying it's not us.

Up the U's!

Up the U's

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 17:14 - Apr 19 with 955 viewsgerry_us

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 17:00 - Apr 19 by wessex_exile

All we can do is win our games. Today it was Exeter slipping up, who knows who it might be on Monday - I'll be at Huish Park praying it's not us.

Up the U's!

Pity Lincoln couldn't do us a favour.
Interesting to see finally a clean sheet when the best defender in the club is returned to the starting line-up; Eastman obviously. And good also that Gilmartin was "rested".
[Post edited 19 Apr 2019 17:24]
Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 17:32 - Apr 19 with 938 viewswessex_exile

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 17:14 - Apr 19 by gerry_us

Interesting to see finally a clean sheet when the best defender in the club is returned to the starting line-up; Eastman obviously. And good also that Gilmartin was "rested".

Injured apparently Gerry, did his back picking the ball out of the net... :-)

Up the U's

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 17:44 - Apr 19 with 933 viewsbwildered

Pretty average away performance, concede a goal of their own making and almost another just after half time , and not much thereafter, so note the similarities.
A win is a win, a world class performance we are led to believe from McG ( must have been watching the VAR channel ).
Live in hope and that others can do our dirty work .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 19:24 - Apr 19 with 910 viewsgerry_us

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 17:32 - Apr 19 by wessex_exile

Injured apparently Gerry, did his back picking the ball out of the net... :-)

Good shut out for Barnes today. Long may it last; we do not want the goalkeeping coach back in the side.
Perhaps McGreal may play in the remaining games to stiffen up the defence.
Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 19:59 - Apr 19 with 904 viewsdurham_exile

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 17:14 - Apr 19 by gerry_us

Very interesting to see Lincoln fail at Brunton Park and reduced to ten men.
Will they be as generous at Sincil Bank I wonder.

Tranmere threw away three points at home to FGR which has guaranteed them a top seven place.

We must win, win and win again and hope that 72 points is enough.

Three points at Huish Park will ensure momentum before the Franchise come to Town.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 23:49 - Apr 19 with 852 viewsGOSBTS

Hope springs eternal after today’s results! Just when you think Col U are down and out, Exeter lose at home and the U’s pick up three points. Yeovil will be scrapping for their lives on Monday, but 3 points there would set up a grandstand finish for the playoffs against MK Dons. Lincoln on the last day of the season could be one of the best fixtures we could hope for. Whilst it should be their promotion party, so often the motivation just isn’t quite there when teams are promoted so early. It happened to Brighton the season we went up to the PL. Promoted on Easter Monday and then didn’t win again for the rest of the season and failing to go up as Champions. If Stevenage and Exeter draw, it could be advantage Colchester going into the final two games.

I’m very excited to be in attendance next Saturday. I know there is little reason for expectation of a strong run in after many of the recent lacklustre performances, but football is a weird old game. It’ll probably be the hope that kills me, but up the U’s, we’re still in it!

p.s how has Saunders settled into the side?
Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 07:38 - Apr 20 with 835 viewsFruitbat

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 23:49 - Apr 19 by GOSBTS

Hope springs eternal after today’s results! Just when you think Col U are down and out, Exeter lose at home and the U’s pick up three points. Yeovil will be scrapping for their lives on Monday, but 3 points there would set up a grandstand finish for the playoffs against MK Dons. Lincoln on the last day of the season could be one of the best fixtures we could hope for. Whilst it should be their promotion party, so often the motivation just isn’t quite there when teams are promoted so early. It happened to Brighton the season we went up to the PL. Promoted on Easter Monday and then didn’t win again for the rest of the season and failing to go up as Champions. If Stevenage and Exeter draw, it could be advantage Colchester going into the final two games.

I’m very excited to be in attendance next Saturday. I know there is little reason for expectation of a strong run in after many of the recent lacklustre performances, but football is a weird old game. It’ll probably be the hope that kills me, but up the U’s, we’re still in it!

p.s how has Saunders settled into the side?

Saunders was impressive yesterday, covered the ground an looks to have a decent range of passing. I know he's 35 but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him back next season, definitely worth a punt on a 12 month contract.
Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 12:56 - Apr 20 with 803 viewsLeadbelly

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 07:38 - Apr 20 by Fruitbat

Saunders was impressive yesterday, covered the ground an looks to have a decent range of passing. I know he's 35 but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him back next season, definitely worth a punt on a 12 month contract.

On an unrelated subject, how was Kristin Hersh?

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 16:08 - Apr 20 with 782 viewsFruitbat

Absolutely bloody marvellous.
Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 19:15 - Apr 20 with 758 viewsLeadbelly

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 16:08 - Apr 20 by Fruitbat

Absolutely bloody marvellous.

Pleased to hear that...thought she would be.

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 20:34 - Apr 20 with 747 viewsFruitbat

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 19:15 - Apr 20 by Leadbelly

Pleased to hear that...thought she would be.

Set based mainly around her new album from last year (which is very good if you haven't heard it) although it closed With a 50 Foot Wave song and I think there might have been a Muses song in there as well.
Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 21:37 - Apr 20 with 736 viewsLeadbelly

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 20:34 - Apr 20 by Fruitbat

Set based mainly around her new album from last year (which is very good if you haven't heard it) although it closed With a 50 Foot Wave song and I think there might have been a Muses song in there as well.

I’ve heard some of the new album and liked it a lot.

She was the subject of The Leisure Society on 6 Music last weekend. Probably still available on BBC Sounds if you missed it. Keen on snakes apparently.

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 09:20 - Apr 22 with 670 viewsnoah4x4

Three points nailed on today for the Super U's on 19:24 - Apr 19 by gerry_us

Good shut out for Barnes today. Long may it last; we do not want the goalkeeping coach back in the side.
Perhaps McGreal may play in the remaining games to stiffen up the defence.

U's 18 shots, 10 on target = 1 scored.

Grimsby 1 shot, 0 on target.

I think I could have achieved a shut out with 0 on target.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024