Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven 17:33 - May 3 with 2117 viewsdurham_exile

JM and his charges could be 90+ minutes away from extending their season providing they win at Sincil Bank, Newport lose at Morecambe and Exeter fail to beat FGR.

In fact, unless you reside on Planet Zarg that scenario is one that has been rehearsed and discussed in homes, bars, clubs and amongst Colchester aficionados ever since they deservedly defeated the MK Dons franchise last Saturday. I was privileged to be amongst the 5,000 that day to see Colchester not only do the double over the franchise, but also return to the form of those heady days prior to Christmas when automatic promotion looked assured.

Sammie Szmodics was unfettered by the lure of championship suitors, Courtney Senior showed real pace and determination and Frank Nouble demonstrated real skill and aggression in equal measure. Sam Saunders has proven to be a revelation since his arrival and in Ethan Ross we have a Goalkeeper who distributes the ball well, kicks impressively and commands his box. He is also not afraid to take free kicks from the half way line as he did in the first half last weekend.

Perhaps the footballing gods intervened in allowing Dillon Barnes rush of blood to the head at Huish Park. Probably it should have happened 3 months ago, and we would be celebrating already instead of relying on others to assist our progress.

Now lets get the Lincoln lovefest out of the way quickly. They have deservedly won the league and go up as Champions with only six league defeats (so far) this season.

At Sincil Bank only Crawley have taken maximum points, but they have lost five times away at Crewe, Carlisle, Colchester, Tranmere and Newport. Interestingly they have not won since securing the league title, which often happens to teams who having achieved the hard part then find themselves on the beach before the season is completed.

Now Cowley has in my opinion demonstrated some sour grapes this week in veiled threats against Colchester United after their impressive win in October against the Imps. He believed that we over celebrated the victory and is determined to show everyone who is really the greatest team in the history of football ever!!!!

That of course has piled the pressure onto his own team when they surely only wanted a gentle final game and then a lap of honour around Sincil Bank in front of a capacity crowd.

The onerous Matt Rhead, the ample John Akinde and the best defender in the league Cian Bolger (heavy sarcasm here) will be quaking that they have to go out and perform when the pina coladas are calling.

The faithful will number about 700 tomorrow and a good atmosphere is assured. JM knows that only a victory will do and preferably by 2 clear goals. I predict 3-1 to the Super U’s but what do I know!!!

The team selection will be critical for success though and not too dissimilar to last week.

Ross

Jackson Eastman Kent Dickenson

Senior Saunders Lapslie

Szmodics

Nouble Mandron

Subs:

Vose Chilvers Stevenson Eisa Norris Vincent-Young Kensdale

Thinking — Ethan Ross looked a natural last week, the back four pick themselves especially with Prosser out and a continuing nagging doubt against Kane Vincent-Young.

The good news last week was that for some minutes at least Ben Stevenson was back but I don’t think JM can play Stevenson, Lapslie and Saunders as a three in midfield because there must be a place for Senior.

A revitalised Sammie Szmodics to play just behind the immense Frank Nouble and the determined Mika Mandron.

Stevenson, Norris and Eisa to all get vital minutes from the bench second half.

Regarding tactics very similar to last week, take the game to the Imps from the start, Cowley has unnecessarily put his players under pressure by upping the stakes and asking them to prove their worth, when they have done that for 40 games this season.

We can do no more than gain the victory and hope that those two results go our way. It is as simple as that.

The weather in Lincoln will be somewhat different to last season when it was roasting hot — tomorrow will be 10 degrees Celsius and rain showers (60% precipitation) with a slight wind that will affect play.

No time for recriminations or regrets tomorrow, it's all about the performance and the victory. We can then see if 70 points is enough for seventh place.

Tomorrow will be poignant as we will remember the 56 people who lost their lives at Valley Parade in 1985. It really puts everything clearly into focus. RIP.

Safe journey to the 700 faithful.

Enjoy the game and get right behind the team. Keep the faith.

Up the U's

[Post edited 3 May 2019 20:23]

Durham_exile

Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 21:13 - May 4 with 539 viewsbwildered

Would have been quite content losing the final game of the season at home , with a guard of honour pre match and a cup presentation post match .
However back to square one ( eighth really ) not enough lessons learnt, no fine margins come 42 games, if you can raise your game against the better sides, and be mediocre against the average, you become best of the rest.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 22:01 - May 4 with 528 viewsgerry_us

Today I saw probably the best 45 minutes from the U's for many a year. While not expecting the miracle am somewhat annoyed that they could put in such a performance when compared to some abysmal performances I have witnessed this season. OK, so the Lincoln players had their suitcases packed for holiday tommorow but we controlled the match from start to finish. Well appreciated by the near 700 travelling supporters but the 87th minute goal elsewhere rather dampened the spirit somewhat. Still, that is what supporting U's is all about. There is always next season as long as we are not suggested as strong favourites for promotion .. aka Notts County!
About 10 weeks before it all starts again with all the pain and anguish that U's will no doubt bring...bring it on!
[Post edited 4 May 2019 22:22]
Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 12:48 - May 5 with 431 viewsburnsieespana

As to whether we start as favourites depends upon who we loose and who the replacements are.
I hope Saunders is given a contract as seems to have been a decent influence once JMc worked out how best to use him.
Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 18:25 - May 5 with 399 viewswessex_exile

Incidentally, I was not happy to see that FGR made six changes to their starting line-up yesterday, resting big players for the play-off matches. Given how many teams could have been affected by their result, even though Exeter failed to take advantage, that's still very poor from FGR - I wonder if the EFL will take a view?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 19:13 - May 5 with 393 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 18:25 - May 5 by wessex_exile

Incidentally, I was not happy to see that FGR made six changes to their starting line-up yesterday, resting big players for the play-off matches. Given how many teams could have been affected by their result, even though Exeter failed to take advantage, that's still very poor from FGR - I wonder if the EFL will take a view?

It actually looked like Lincoln were resting their entire squad yesterday! Messrs Cowleys' were singularly un-impressed however.
Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 15:47 - May 6 with 344 viewsbwildered

Apparently Norris failed to make the bench due to tripping over getting onto the team bus and obtaining a ankle injury , so would unavailable for the play off matches .... Oops .
Seems McEighth is still in denial

Happy hols to players and staff. Let's hope next season is only a cashless one and not another pointless one .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 16:05 - May 6 with 340 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to overcome Imps in order to be in Seventh Heaven on 15:47 - May 6 by bwildered

Apparently Norris failed to make the bench due to tripping over getting onto the team bus and obtaining a ankle injury , so would unavailable for the play off matches .... Oops .
Seems McEighth is still in denial

Happy hols to players and staff. Let's hope next season is only a cashless one and not another pointless one .

bwiildered sorry just posted the same info about Chuck Norris on the other thread.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024