Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Happy League 2018/19 Season Round Up 21:39 - Jun 5 with 475 viewsmfb_cufc

With the Champions League final bringing the curtain down on the season, this is how things panned out in the Happy League.
After winning Division One three times noah4x4 proved he can do it at the highest level as well as he wins his first Premier title, but only just, as he beat the gallant sevebalo on the most 3 pointer rule, in what had been the most closely fought title in years. Another good season for RSCOSWORTH as he finishes 3rd for the second season running, with more 3 pointers than anybody in both divisions. In Division One Sector4 won that title for the second time, and the other automatic place went to Colukev, as they both made an instant return to the Premier. The other promotion spot went to TheFatGooner, who went up through the play-offs in his first season. Proving once again that inexperience is no barrier to success in the Happy League. The other competitions all went the way of Division One, with basher2010 getting the double of Happy Cup and Charity Shield, and a great effort from BFG to retain his Champions League title.

The 300 fixtures (including the Charity Shield and play-off games) produced 123 home wins, 94 away wins, with the other 83 ending in a draw. A full breakdown of the results are as follows:-

1-1...42 Back on top again after losing out to 1-0 last season.
0-0...27 Got to be brave to predict this, but improves season on season.
1-0...27 Top result last season, but has to settle for being best for a home win this.
2-0...22
2-1...21 Popular as a default score, but 1-1 or 1-0 is usually a better choice.
0-1...21 Best for an away win for the second season running.
1-2...20
0-2...14 Below expectations for this score again.
3-0...14 Above expectations for this score.
2-2...13 Surprised this finished below 3-0.
3-1...10
1-3...10
0-3...10
3-2...10
4-0....8
2-3....6
1-4....6
4-2....5
0-4....3
5-1....2
4-3....2
3-4....2
4-1....1
3-3....1
5-2....1
2-6....1
4-5....1

Hope to see you all again next season, when details will appear at the beginning of July. ALL NEW MEMBERS ARE MOST WELCOME

mfb

Happy League 2018/19 Season Round Up on 22:06 - Jun 5 with 468 viewsnoah4x4

Just a word of thanks to Mick for running the competition and to confirm safe receipt of my Premier Division Winners Clock. Also thanks to Wessex for running another tight one in the guise of the Champions League Cup.

What I find fascinating from these statistics was I deliberately avoided predicting draws, and I believe I predicted only one all season (1-1) and put more emphasis on narrow home victories (1-0 or 2-1) based on the previous season's statistics. However, it seems I avoided the most successful result 1-1 yet might have won the league more easily had I not. Must reconsider tactics for 2019-2020.
Happy League 2018/19 Season Round Up on 18:26 - Jun 6 with 439 viewsmfb_cufc

Happy League 2018/19 Season Round Up on 22:06 - Jun 5 by noah4x4

Just a word of thanks to Mick for running the competition and to confirm safe receipt of my Premier Division Winners Clock. Also thanks to Wessex for running another tight one in the guise of the Champions League Cup.

What I find fascinating from these statistics was I deliberately avoided predicting draws, and I believe I predicted only one all season (1-1) and put more emphasis on narrow home victories (1-0 or 2-1) based on the previous season's statistics. However, it seems I avoided the most successful result 1-1 yet might have won the league more easily had I not. Must reconsider tactics for 2019-2020.

Good to hear the clock arrived safely. I can confirm you predicted a 1-1 twice last season, and you got one spot-on. If you had predicted more 1-1's I would say you would have been lucky to have won the title, rather than have won it by more. I never back a game to end in a draw, and concordman is the same. We both got more than 100 outcomes, that is a basis for success, just didn't have the luck needed to turn them into 3 pointers. My reason for not backing the 1-1 because it is an all or nothing score. Backing every game to end 1-1 this season would have got you a record number of 3 pointers, but even with the bore draw coming out second best, you would have only got a meagre 41 outcomes. That would give you a total of 167 points. A mid-table finish in the Premier, and just enough to scrape into the play-offs in Division One. Everybody has their idea of the best tactics/strategy to use, but the stats over the years will show backing more games to end 1-1 is not a route to success.

mfb

Happy League 2018/19 Season Round Up on 18:47 - Jun 6 with 438 viewswessex_exile

Happy League 2018/19 Season Round Up on 18:26 - Jun 6 by mfb_cufc

Good to hear the clock arrived safely. I can confirm you predicted a 1-1 twice last season, and you got one spot-on. If you had predicted more 1-1's I would say you would have been lucky to have won the title, rather than have won it by more. I never back a game to end in a draw, and concordman is the same. We both got more than 100 outcomes, that is a basis for success, just didn't have the luck needed to turn them into 3 pointers. My reason for not backing the 1-1 because it is an all or nothing score. Backing every game to end 1-1 this season would have got you a record number of 3 pointers, but even with the bore draw coming out second best, you would have only got a meagre 41 outcomes. That would give you a total of 167 points. A mid-table finish in the Premier, and just enough to scrape into the play-offs in Division One. Everybody has their idea of the best tactics/strategy to use, but the stats over the years will show backing more games to end 1-1 is not a route to success.

Indeed, I ran the numbers as well, and whilst an across the board prediction of 1-1 for every game would have sneaked me into the play-offs, it would have been at the cost of sucking all of the fun and enjoyment out of the Prediction League for me...

...and to echo the comments of everyone else - well done mfb_cufc for yet another excellent season, and all of your hard work too!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Happy League 2018/19 Season Round Up on 20:00 - Jun 6 with 433 viewsmfb_cufc

Happy League 2018/19 Season Round Up on 18:47 - Jun 6 by wessex_exile

Indeed, I ran the numbers as well, and whilst an across the board prediction of 1-1 for every game would have sneaked me into the play-offs, it would have been at the cost of sucking all of the fun and enjoyment out of the Prediction League for me...

...and to echo the comments of everyone else - well done mfb_cufc for yet another excellent season, and all of your hard work too!

Thank you for the kind comments wessex, and in return I would to thank you for your time and effort in making such a good job of running the Champions League again.

You are spot on when you say by backing every game 1-1 would suck all the fun and enjoyment out of the Happy League, as that has always been the essence of the competition.

mfb

Happy League 2018/19 Season Round Up on 20:34 - Jun 6 with 432 viewsdurham_exile

Happy League 2018/19 Season Round Up on 20:00 - Jun 6 by mfb_cufc

Thank you for the kind comments wessex, and in return I would to thank you for your time and effort in making such a good job of running the Champions League again.

You are spot on when you say by backing every game 1-1 would suck all the fun and enjoyment out of the Happy League, as that has always been the essence of the competition.

I would also like to add my thanks to Mick for such a superbly run league.

Looking forward to the 2019/20 league

UTUs

Durham_exile

Happy League 2018/19 Season Round Up on 02:28 - Jun 7 with 415 viewsghughes11

I wonder if it would make any difference not always predicting Ipswich, Wycombe and Southend to lose and Colchester to win?

Would rather not win the league then to back them ha ha ;-)

Thanks for organising and I will be back next year for my second season!

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

Happy League 2018/19 Season Round Up on 10:33 - Jun 7 with 410 viewsburnsieespana

Thanks mfb for another interesting year and also wessex for the champions league.
Not a good season for me and maybe, seeing your stats, I predicted to many draws.
After relegation got to go back to the basics which worked well my first couple of seasons.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024