Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A genuine Question 23:31 - Jul 2 with 5174 viewsozexile

I'd really like your opinion's on the English Psyche after yet another semi final loss today in the football. Why can't our sports teams, with all the ability in the world, quite finish the Job? I know from my own experience growing up playing football that if we were the better team in a game, our parents would tell us to give the other team a chance etc. I also got hammered by my Dad after a game because I kept flicking the ball over the defenders heads and running round them. I was told that "everyone hates show offs".
When I moved to Oz many years ago I was amazed at the difference in mindset regarding sport, especially kids sport. I remember when we won the Rugby World cup in 2003 that team was so focused and almost Unengland like. Can we repeat that in the near future?
A genuine Question on 23:39 - Jul 2 with 3792 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England Youth have a trophy cabinet like Aladdin's cave. I’ve forgotten how many titles we currently hold.

We’re doing fine.
A genuine Question on 23:47 - Jul 2 with 3781 viewsozexile

A genuine Question on 23:39 - Jul 2 by BazzaInTheLoft

England Youth have a trophy cabinet like Aladdin's cave. I’ve forgotten how many titles we currently hold.

We’re doing fine.

Maybe that's the problem, people dismiss it and say it'll be fine. England's youth have always had strong teams. There was an article I read this week about the England youth team Gallen was in. They were supposedly gonna set the world alight, and it never happened. Can't always be bad luck.
A genuine Question on 00:03 - Jul 3 with 3751 viewsBenny_the_Ball

I've said before that this is the only country I know with the mantra "it's not the winning but the taking part that counts".

I read an interesting article some years back about the Spain team that won 3 trophies on the bounce. Under-21 tournaments were taken very seriously with top players encouraged to take part, even if they had already represented the senior side. The idea was to build a winning mentality and tournament know-how that would stand them in good stead in major championships.
A genuine Question on 00:06 - Jul 3 with 3744 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

A genuine Question on 23:47 - Jul 2 by ozexile

Maybe that's the problem, people dismiss it and say it'll be fine. England's youth have always had strong teams. There was an article I read this week about the England youth team Gallen was in. They were supposedly gonna set the world alight, and it never happened. Can't always be bad luck.

I’m not dismissing it. A England senior World Cup win is a matter of time, and after DECADES of non success we have a women’s side hat has reached THREE consecutive semis a men’s side that hit a semi for the first time in 28 YEARS and England youth that are both World Cup and European Cup holders.

If that’s not shaking off some mental fragility I don’t know what is.

[Post edited 3 Jul 2019 0:20]
A genuine Question on 00:12 - Jul 3 with 3728 viewsLythamR

A genuine Question on 00:06 - Jul 3 by BazzaInTheLoft

I’m not dismissing it. A England senior World Cup win is a matter of time, and after DECADES of non success we have a women’s side hat has reached THREE consecutive semis a men’s side that hit a semi for the first time in 28 YEARS and England youth that are both World Cup and European Cup holders.

it could possibly be that we are not quite the best in the world. I think it was ability rather than a winning mentality that got the USA into the final
A genuine Question on 00:14 - Jul 3 with 3726 viewsBenny_the_Ball

A genuine Question on 00:06 - Jul 3 by BazzaInTheLoft

Perhaps but I'd very much like to see a World Cup win in my lifetime!
[Post edited 3 Jul 2019 2:52]
A genuine Question (n/t) on 00:16 - Jul 3 with 3722 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

A genuine Question on 00:12 - Jul 3 by LythamR

it could possibly be that we are not quite the best in the world. I think it was ability rather than a winning mentality that got the USA into the final

A genuine Question on 02:56 - Jul 3 with 3656 viewsBenny_the_Ball

A genuine Question on 00:12 - Jul 3 by LythamR

Probably a bit of both but, yes, it should definitely been borne in mind that the Lionesses lost to the current holders and top seed.

I think the more pertinent question is why are England so poor at penalties?
Login to get fewer ads

A genuine Question on 04:16 - Jul 3 with 3623 viewsSydneyRs

The US are a bit better at the moment, that's all. That's why they are ranked number 1. Nothing to do with mentality. A VAR disallowed goal away from being a very different outcome.
A genuine Question on 09:34 - Jul 3 with 3413 viewsTonto

I agree with the premise that sport is taken a lot more seriously in other countries. Australia and the US being good examples.

The US collegiate system, which is effectively semi-pro creates competition and competition creates better plyers/athletes.

The recent allegations/inquiry into "bullying" at British cycling sums up our attitude - people need to be mollycoddled and anything else is bullying. The difference between a winner and second place is probably 0.5% or less.

If you look at many of our top athletes - they go abroad for their for training. Why cant the LTA who make millions produce a decent British tennis player. one in 30 years is pathetic. The Czech Republic (population less than London) have around 10 players in the top 100. We have 2.

Don't get me wrong - we have and are improving, but as nation we are also getting fatter. So something is wrong. Once you have left school, where do you go? there needs to be regional and national training facilities for many sports where talent can be nurtured whilst getting the education an social advice athletes need. Instead its most down to amateurs unless your family have money, in which case you can pay for training,

I could go on, but I should do some work now! Good question though!

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

A genuine Question on 09:53 - Jul 3 with 3368 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Sorry not buying this negativity at all.

The Olympics is usually considered the ultimate arbiter of sporting success

A genuine Question on 10:08 - Jul 3 with 3344 viewsAntti_Heinola

agree - first country ever to increase their medal haul the olympics after hosting it?
Arguably our issue is we concentrate on too many sports. I'm not sure any other country in the world has so much strength in so many sports.

Bare bones.

A genuine Question on 10:16 - Jul 3 with 3324 viewsSir_Chops

A genuine Question on 00:03 - Jul 3 by Benny_the_Ball

I've said before that this is the only country I know with the mantra "it's not the winning but the taking part that counts".

I read an interesting article some years back about the Spain team that won 3 trophies on the bounce. Under-21 tournaments were taken very seriously with top players encouraged to take part, even if they had already represented the senior side. The idea was to build a winning mentality and tournament know-how that would stand them in good stead in major championships.

When the US were busy tanking Thailand 13-0, at 10-0 an online comment from the BBC team soliciting thumbs up/down response was posted along the lines of 'Is it right/sporting that the US continue to push for more goals'. Well of course it was - they were after a record, but worryingly the result was a fairly even split.

And I'm sure it's a sentiment I've heard quite recently somewhere in the men's game too - possibly where City stuffed Burton this year(?).

If England were 5 or 6 up against anyone, they'd just ease off. Done enough to win comfortably, but not the 'kill you and dance on your grave' mentality the very best might have. That seems to be considered distasteful in this country.

Just look at the media coverage of Morgan's 'tea drinking' celebration... "It's just not cricket, is it..."? Boston tea-party mockery? Distasteful? Who cares - she's enjoying doing what she knows she does very well. That's the kind of thing a successful psyche does. Arrogance, but justified arrogance.

So I do think it's a mentality thing, personally.
A genuine Question on 10:37 - Jul 3 with 3293 viewsbosh67

I think last night USA were simply better. I thought Bronze and White stood out as two players who were at their level but as others have said, USA were just that bit better last night. We are 10 times the side we were 4 and 2 years ago but we have a while to go before we match the USA team.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

A genuine Question on 10:47 - Jul 3 with 3269 viewspaulparker

A genuine Question on 23:39 - Jul 2 by BazzaInTheLoft

We’re doing fine.

Didn’t do to well this summer though , infact we were crap in the Toulon and under21

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

A genuine Question on 10:48 - Jul 3 with 3267 viewsoldmisery

A genuine Question on 10:08 - Jul 3 by Antti_Heinola

agree - first country ever to increase their medal haul the olympics after hosting it?
Arguably our issue is we concentrate on too many sports. I'm not sure any other country in the world has so much strength in so many sports.

Clearly the USA and China have greater strength in a variety of sports as reference to the Olympic 'Table' indicates!
A genuine Question on 10:53 - Jul 3 with 3258 viewsAntti_Heinola

I do think there's an element that sometimes we are too emotional. All top sports people have to 'want it', but the best have ice in their veins. Look at Federer compared to Henman. Henman was an outstanding player, but didn't quite have the cold steel of a Federer. Same with the best football teams, whether that's domestic or international. Man Utd in their pomp were cold in how they relentlessly won games. Newcastle too emotional - even Arsenal were at times.
English sports fans go on and on about PASHUN but passion only gets you so far. To really win, you need to manage that passion. We actually did that well in 96 (10 out of 10 pens before Southgate's unfortunate miss), but were weighed down by it in other tournaments. All that stupid Joe Hart chest thumping bollox - gets you nowhere in elite sport.

Bare bones.

A genuine Question on 11:21 - Jul 3 with 3222 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

A genuine Question on 10:47 - Jul 3 by paulparker

Didn’t do to well this summer though , infact we were crap in the Toulon and under21

After winning it three times in a row? Come on mate.
A genuine Question on 11:35 - Jul 3 with 3194 viewsozexile

A genuine Question on 10:16 - Jul 3 by Sir_Chops

When the US were busy tanking Thailand 13-0, at 10-0 an online comment from the BBC team soliciting thumbs up/down response was posted along the lines of 'Is it right/sporting that the US continue to push for more goals'. Well of course it was - they were after a record, but worryingly the result was a fairly even split.

And I'm sure it's a sentiment I've heard quite recently somewhere in the men's game too - possibly where City stuffed Burton this year(?).

If England were 5 or 6 up against anyone, they'd just ease off. Done enough to win comfortably, but not the 'kill you and dance on your grave' mentality the very best might have. That seems to be considered distasteful in this country.

Just look at the media coverage of Morgan's 'tea drinking' celebration... "It's just not cricket, is it..."? Boston tea-party mockery? Distasteful? Who cares - she's enjoying doing what she knows she does very well. That's the kind of thing a successful psyche does. Arrogance, but justified arrogance.

So I do think it's a mentality thing, personally.

This is interesting for me because I didn't have a problem with the americans scoring that many at all. It's professional sport, that's what could happen. And yes if I had trained all my life to get to the top and scored in the World Cup I'd have celebrated like crazy as well.
A genuine Question on 12:08 - Jul 3 with 3157 viewsrobith

Didn't have a problem with the US scoring all the goals, it was more how they kept giving it and doing elaborate celebrations against a team for whom scoring a goal in the tournament was like winning the world cup

https://www.indy100.com/article/womens-world-cup-2019-thailand-manager-madam-pan
A genuine Question on 12:11 - Jul 3 with 3147 viewspaulparker

A genuine Question on 12:08 - Jul 3 by robith

Didn't have a problem with the US scoring all the goals, it was more how they kept giving it and doing elaborate celebrations against a team for whom scoring a goal in the tournament was like winning the world cup

https://www.indy100.com/article/womens-world-cup-2019-thailand-manager-madam-pan

So what it shows how they want to win, it’s about time this country stopped being offended by everything and maybe did the same instead of this tag of plucky underdogs

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

A genuine Question on 12:17 - Jul 3 with 3130 viewsrobith

A genuine Question on 12:11 - Jul 3 by paulparker

So what it shows how they want to win, it’s about time this country stopped being offended by everything and maybe did the same instead of this tag of plucky underdogs

They want to win by goading hammering players who barley qualify as amateur?

You can have the will to win and still posses basic sportsmanship.

Played cricket in my park league last night. Oppo player who previously got banned for hitting one of his team mates kept screaming at our umpire (batting team umpires itself), creating a foul atmosphere that legit made me want to jack in playing. But as long as he had the will to win right?

Offended? Such a lame term used people who don't understand how critique works
A genuine Question on 12:34 - Jul 3 with 3093 viewsozexile

A genuine Question on 12:17 - Jul 3 by robith

Played cricket in my park league last night. Oppo player who previously got banned for hitting one of his team mates kept screaming at our umpire (batting team umpires itself), creating a foul atmosphere that legit made me want to jack in playing. But as long as he had the will to win right?

It's a bit different though. An Idiot in the park is a bit different to a professional athlete achieving on the world stage.
A genuine Question on 12:35 - Jul 3 with 3090 viewsrobith

A genuine Question on 12:34 - Jul 3 by ozexile

It's a bit different though. An Idiot in the park is a bit different to a professional athlete achieving on the world stage.

a c unt is a c unt
A genuine Question on 12:35 - Jul 3 with 3088 viewspaulparker

A genuine Question on 12:17 - Jul 3 by robith

Get over it

I’ve never heard so much bleating about a celebration, we look pathetic moaning about how a team who beat us fair and square despite us missing a dodgy penalty and how arrogant the nasty Americans are , we didn’t have the bottle and they did that’s what it comes down to

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024