Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Athletic expands to the UK / future of sportswriting 11:55 - Jul 12 with 3433 viewsrsonist

https://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2019/news/more-football-journalists-leave-rol

https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/athletic-football-writers

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/24/sports/the-athletic-netflix.html

"A "Netflix-like" solution to the decline of local sports coverage" launching in a couple of weeks. Mooted £40 a year. Will it catch on here? How much will you pay for Dave Mc?

US-based sports website The Athletic is launching a UK version in time for the start of the new Premier League football season, with plans to recruit up to 55 journalists.

The Liverpool Echo’s Liverpool FC reporter James Pearce, Yorkshire Evening Post Leeds United writer Phil Hay and Express & Star Wolverhampton Wanderers correspondent Tim Spiers are all quitting their posts to take up new roles with The Athletic.

Now three more leading regional football writers have announced they are leaving their respective newspapers — Rob Tanner of the Leicester Mercury, Andy Naylor of the Brighton Argus, and Gregg Evans of the Birmingham Mail.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2019 11:56]
The Athletic expands to the UK / future of sportswriting on 11:58 - Jul 12 with 3421 viewsNorthernr

They've hoovered up a lot of talent from the nationals as well, Times and Telegraph journos going there.
The Athletic expands to the UK / future of sportswriting on 12:01 - Jul 12 with 3404 viewsrsonist

The Athletic expands to the UK / future of sportswriting on 11:58 - Jul 12 by Northernr

They've hoovered up a lot of talent from the nationals as well, Times and Telegraph journos going there.

Yeah initially I couldn't see anyone being interested in paying for those more generalist writers, even the good ones. Now they're doing the same as they did in the US with the hyperlocal niche writers I'm not so sure.
The Athletic expands to the UK / future of sportswriting on 12:29 - Jul 12 with 3346 viewsAntti_Heinola

only two writers I'd even consider paying for are Norf and Squires.
No one else is worth yet another subscription for me (I do voluntary subscription to my newspaper of choice online), no matter how cheap. I'd genuinely pay £50 a year for all norf's articles, but don't tell him that. Football reports are awful, and most opinion pieces barely worth reading.

Bare bones.

The Athletic expands to the UK / future of sportswriting on 12:30 - Jul 12 with 3346 viewsablanton17

I’m an American and I do not subscribe to the service but sometimes I will read one of their articles and it is of a very high quality.
The Athletic expands to the UK / future of sportswriting on 13:03 - Jul 12 with 3295 viewsrsonist

The Athletic expands to the UK / future of sportswriting on 12:29 - Jul 12 by Antti_Heinola

only two writers I'd even consider paying for are Norf and Squires.
No one else is worth yet another subscription for me (I do voluntary subscription to my newspaper of choice online), no matter how cheap. I'd genuinely pay £50 a year for all norf's articles, but don't tell him that. Football reports are awful, and most opinion pieces barely worth reading.

Sure, but now substitute on-the-whistle reports and generalist pundit opinion pieces for technical analysis and niche podcasts let's say. Maybe it's not for you but there's a market there.
The Athletic expands to the UK / future of sportswriting on 14:37 - Jul 12 with 3193 viewsCincyHoop

The Athletic expands to the UK / future of sportswriting on 12:30 - Jul 12 by ablanton17

I’m an American and I do not subscribe to the service but sometimes I will read one of their articles and it is of a very high quality.

I am also an American and a subscriber to the Athletic. It is a great site, with interesting analysis, articles and topics that are unique compared to ESPN, Sports Illustrated, local newspapers. I still use my college ID so I think I pay approx. $30 a year and it is totally worth it. I actually let a few co-workers use my log in and they throw me a couple bucks a year to lessen the cost even further. Great investment IMO and I hope I will be able to have access to the UK version with my existing subscription.
The Athletic expands to the UK / future of sportswriting on 14:48 - Jul 12 with 3171 viewsBoston

The Athletic expands to the UK / future of sportswriting on 14:37 - Jul 12 by CincyHoop

I am also an American and a subscriber to the Athletic. It is a great site, with interesting analysis, articles and topics that are unique compared to ESPN, Sports Illustrated, local newspapers. I still use my college ID so I think I pay approx. $30 a year and it is totally worth it. I actually let a few co-workers use my log in and they throw me a couple bucks a year to lessen the cost even further. Great investment IMO and I hope I will be able to have access to the UK version with my existing subscription.

I’m a long term US resident and didn’t know ‘The Athletic’ even existed.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The Athletic expands to the UK / future of sportswriting on 14:49 - Jul 12 with 3172 viewsthame_hoops

The Athletic expands to the UK / future of sportswriting on 14:37 - Jul 12 by CincyHoop

same here (not American but love my US Sports and the Mrs is from Texas)

I subscribe just for the ravens/orioles stuff. Really good reporting, actual sports and not gutter stuff. Its a thumbs up from me
Login to get fewer ads

The Athletic expands to the UK / future of sportswriting on 14:59 - Jul 12 with 3158 viewsCincyHoop

The Athletic expands to the UK / future of sportswriting on 14:49 - Jul 12 by thame_hoops

same here (not American but love my US Sports and the Mrs is from Texas)

I subscribe just for the ravens/orioles stuff. Really good reporting, actual sports and not gutter stuff. Its a thumbs up from me

To me it just beats the hell out of the bland vanilla reporting the big sports media companies do. Its unique content that is provided on a local level by reporters who follow the teams everyday. Not just the talking head national gas bags that ESPN has that often have no clue what they are talking about.
The Athletic expands to the UK / future of sportswriting on 16:05 - Jul 12 with 3107 viewsEmpireStateRanger

Another American who can vouch for The Athletic. In fact, I work for a publication who has lost a lot of its writers to The Athletic. It definitely finds unique reporters on both the hyperlocal front but also national writers. I've found a lot of their in-depth national stories to be way better than what you typically find on ESPN, SI etc.

Interested to see how The Athletic fares in the UK. It does a good job of reporting on lesser-known teams in the States, so I'm hopeful that it gives EFL teams some good coverage.
The Athletic expands to the UK / future of sportswriting on 16:06 - Jul 12 with 3102 viewsthame_hoops

The Athletic expands to the UK / future of sportswriting on 14:59 - Jul 12 by CincyHoop

To me it just beats the hell out of the bland vanilla reporting the big sports media companies do. Its unique content that is provided on a local level by reporters who follow the teams everyday. Not just the talking head national gas bags that ESPN has that often have no clue what they are talking about.

I used to love reading articles from a guy called Jeff Zreibec from the Baltimore sun, once he defected to the athletic it was a no-brained to subscribe
The Athletic expands to the UK / future of sportswriting on 21:06 - Jul 17 with 2889 viewsrsonist

https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/athletic-hiring-spree

Guardian’s chief football writer Daniel Taylor and the BBC’s top football correspondent David Ornstein [...] Sources say the Guardian is also expecting to lose football writer Amy Lawrence, London correspondent Dominic Fifield, and Midlands/Wales correspondent Stuart James.

At the Daily Mail, executive sports news editor Laura Williamson; Midlands correspondent Laurie Whitwell; and Adam Crafton, recipient of the 2017 Young Sports Writer of the Year award from the Sports Journalists’ Association, are also believed to be moving. [...]

According to two sources, the Daily Mail’s chief sports reporter Matt Lawton – who has been a winner at the British Sports Journalism Awards multiple times – will move to the Times after 18 years at the Mail. In a move reminiscent of a player transfer, Times deputy football correspondent Matt Hughes is expected to go the other way and join the Daily Mail.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2019 21:06]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024