Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's 10:56 - Aug 2 with 1448 viewsdurham_exile

The Super U’s led by JM kick off their fourth successive League Two campaign on Saturday against Port Vale led by coach Dave Kevan and manager John Askey. Port Vale have new owners, and this will be their first match in that capacity. Carol and Kevin Shanahan recently took over from Norman Smurthwaite.

Port Vale have injury problems and doubts about Cristian Montano, Ryan Lloyd and Rhys Browne. But they do have plenty of attacking options with David Worrall and David Amoo as wide players with Richie Bennett, Mark Cullen and the legend that is Tom Pope potentially leading the line.

Now JM may not want talk of promotion or play offs, but this season is all about getting out of league two and we must start as we mean to go on. Tomorrow is all about the three points and to get early season confidence before we travel to Plymouth (one of the favourites for promotion). My tickets for Plymouth and Grimsby arrived yesterday, but a handsome home victory is the number one priority.

Recent comment has been about the U’s signing former Arsenal left back Cohen Bramall (he never actually played for the Gunners but comes highly recommended). The official Colchester site has not confirmed his signature yet but if he has indeed signed then he must go straight into the matchday squad, especially as Ryan Jackson appears not to have overcome his stomach injury.

Another newsworthy item is that Academy Goalkeeping Coach Darren Smith has been reunited with Dean Gerken having signed from Ipswich as the new U’s Goalkeeping Coach.

As I posted earlier in the week, I am not sure of JM’s first XI from the pre-season games, but I expect him to go with something along these lines in a 4,3,3 formation for the opening game:

Gerken

Vincent-Young Eastman Prosser Bramall

Lapslie Pell Stevenson Gambin

Brown Norris Nouble

Subs:

Ross Sowunmi James Hasanally Fernandes Cowan-Hall Chilvers

If Bramall has not signed then expect James to play left back.

The Referee at the JobServe community stadium will be Darren Drysdale and the weather is set to be 21 degrees Celsius with some cloud, but little chance of rain.

The pitch has been reseeded during the summer and should be immaculate.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 3 Aug 2019 11:06]

Durham_exile

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 12:14 - Aug 2 with 1435 viewswessex_exile

It's Friday and there's a Durham preview to read - does it get any better than that!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 12:26 - Aug 2 with 1432 viewsgerry_us

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 12:14 - Aug 2 by wessex_exile

It's Friday and there's a Durham preview to read - does it get any better than that!

Yep..we are up and running.
Question...why do we need a GK coach, surely not for Gerken?
We do a actually need a Goalscoring coach.
Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 12:52 - Aug 2 with 1423 viewsdurham_exile

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 12:26 - Aug 2 by gerry_us

Yep..we are up and running.
Question...why do we need a GK coach, surely not for Gerken?
We do a actually need a Goalscoring coach.

Gerry we need a goal Scorer!

However Port Vale at home first game means we must be looking to secure a match day one maximum.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 16:56 - Aug 2 with 1400 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 12:14 - Aug 2 by wessex_exile

Is it even a Friday without a Durham preview?

UP THE U'S!!!

I'm feeling optimistic about the new season. I feel like we've made some decent additions and should be right up there again.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 22:47 - Aug 2 with 1359 viewsoxfcolu

We have a goal scorer he just needs to score and stay fit.
Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 23:42 - Aug 2 with 1351 viewsGOSBTS

Will be driving on holiday from Coventry to North Wales tomorrow so gutted I won’t be able to make the game. Hoping Norris finds his form from this time last year.

Very excited about my second full season following the U’s! I have missed football and the Community Stadium.
Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 09:36 - Aug 3 with 1310 viewsburnsieespana

Does anybody know anything about our new goalkeeper coach apart from he has come from Ipswich?
Also have not heard about who is going to be in charge of our U 23's.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2019 9:38]
Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 14:36 - Aug 3 with 1247 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's line up

Gerken

Vincent-Young Eastman Prosser Bramall

Senior Lapslie Pell

Brown Norris Nouble

Ross Sowunmi Kensdale Stevenson Gambin Chilvers Hasanally

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 15:09 - Aug 3 with 1242 viewsdurham_exile

Come on we can do better than that

Plenty of time to get this back
UTU's

Durham_exile

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 15:43 - Aug 3 with 1221 viewsdurham_exile

Virtually HT
Come on Col U

Durham_exile

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 15:51 - Aug 3 with 1216 viewsdurham_exile

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 15:43 - Aug 3 by durham_exile

Virtually HT
Come on Col U

GET IN

Durham_exile

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 16:28 - Aug 3 with 1205 viewsdurham_exile

Come on the U's lion's share of possession shots and need a second goal

UTU's

Durham_exile

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 16:54 - Aug 3 with 1201 viewsgerry_us

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 16:28 - Aug 3 by durham_exile

Come on the U's lion's share of possession shots and need a second goal

UTU's

McGreal gone to all out attack?
Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 16:55 - Aug 3 with 1199 viewsdurham_exile

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 16:54 - Aug 3 by gerry_us

McGreal gone to all out attack?

Full time 1-1

UTU's

Durham_exile

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 17:04 - Aug 3 with 1192 viewsgerry_us

Oh good. We travel to the table toppers next week!
Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 17:25 - Aug 3 with 1179 viewsdurham_exile

For those who witnessed the match:

How did Bramall play?
What was Stevenson like when he came on?
Did Hasanally and Gambin play well when they came on?

What about Jevani Brown worth the hype?

Did Nouble play up front with Chuck or more midfield?

Should we have won the game?

Grateful for answers and a report!

UTU's

Durham_exile

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 18:32 - Aug 3 with 1153 viewsFruitbat

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 17:25 - Aug 3 by durham_exile

For those who witnessed the match:

How did Bramall play?
What was Stevenson like when he came on?
Did Hasanally and Gambin play well when they came on?

What about Jevani Brown worth the hype?

Did Nouble play up front with Chuck or more midfield?

Should we have won the game?

Grateful for answers and a report!

UTU's

Bramall looked ok going forwards. Jury out on defending.

Stevenson did alright, certainly better than Pell who looked well off the pace. Not sure he's fit.

Baseball (this auto correct is so good I thought I'd leave it - should read Hassanally!) might have scored near the end, Gambin looked a better bet than Brown.

I refer you to my previous answer, I wasn't impressed with Brown. We need to get him off free-kick and corners as soon as possible!

Nouble on the left of a three in behind Norris.

We created a couple of chances late on but the draw was probably fair enough. Neither side worked the opposition keeper particularly hard.

Overall it was a pretty ordinary game. For 20 minutes we were very poor but improved as the first half went on. It actually looked very much like large periods of last season.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2019 18:35]
Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 18:39 - Aug 3 with 1141 viewsdurham_exile

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 18:32 - Aug 3 by Fruitbat

Bramall looked ok going forwards. Jury out on defending.

Stevenson did alright, certainly better than Pell who looked well off the pace. Not sure he's fit.

Baseball (this auto correct is so good I thought I'd leave it - should read Hassanally!) might have scored near the end, Gambin looked a better bet than Brown.

I refer you to my previous answer, I wasn't impressed with Brown. We need to get him off free-kick and corners as soon as possible!

Nouble on the left of a three in behind Norris.

We created a couple of chances late on but the draw was probably fair enough. Neither side worked the opposition keeper particularly hard.

Overall it was a pretty ordinary game. For 20 minutes we were very poor but improved as the first half went on. It actually looked very much like large periods of last season.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2019 18:35]

Fruitbat thank you for your thoughts and impressions particularly about Brown. Very helpful.

If Pell is not fit then he shouldn't play, but disappointing that he still isn't fully fit.

I should have also asked what did you think about the starting XI?

UTU's

Durham_exile

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 18:53 - Aug 3 with 1135 viewsFruitbat

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 18:39 - Aug 3 by durham_exile

Fruitbat thank you for your thoughts and impressions particularly about Brown. Very helpful.

If Pell is not fit then he shouldn't play, but disappointing that he still isn't fully fit.

I should have also asked what did you think about the starting XI?

UTU's

Given McGreals severe allergy to playing two up front, I think the starting XI was pretty much what I thought it would be. Maybe a little surprised that Gambin didn't start but I guess the left side spot belongs to Nouble at the moment and, to be fair, he did pretty well although the final ball could have been better.

Early days and plenty of room for improvement but, if we're expecting to be in and around the right end of the table we'll have to play an awful lot better.
Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 19:26 - Aug 3 with 1121 viewsMoor_Pinot

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 18:53 - Aug 3 by Fruitbat

Given McGreals severe allergy to playing two up front, I think the starting XI was pretty much what I thought it would be. Maybe a little surprised that Gambin didn't start but I guess the left side spot belongs to Nouble at the moment and, to be fair, he did pretty well although the final ball could have been better.

Early days and plenty of room for improvement but, if we're expecting to be in and around the right end of the table we'll have to play an awful lot better.

Fruitbat spot on Durham. Hard to disagree with any comments.

Two very ordinary div 4 sides although Vale looked very good and we very ill-prepared in the first twenty mins.

Agree, Gambin much more like it than Brown who needs to do a lot to impress me after that. Senior still cant pass for toffee nor does he know where team mates are. Rightly subbed. Norris slow, looks overweight but had a centre half who knew how to disrupt.

Other things different from Fruitbat. Nice to have a keeper again, KVY decent as was Eastman. Frank isn't the forward you want Durham but he was a nuisance today and a bit better than last season. Lapslie tried hard to compensate for giving away the penalty.

Overal, mid table sides and my one gripe we just cannot put in decent crosses that evade the first defender.
Good away support 427.

Long way to go, need to make fewer mistakes frankly.

Moor Pinot

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 20:09 - Aug 3 with 1109 viewsbwildered

Very similar to previous season, wasteful possession, set plays way below standard, movement of ball pedestrian, management ideas lacking, seems only the kit has only changed .
Judging by first ninety minutes, promotion no, play off very doubtful . Goals win matches, not enough in this side to make a difference .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 21:24 - Aug 3 with 1085 viewswessex_exile

Got back half an hour ago, and I'd agree with much of what's been said. To say we were ponderous for the first 20 minutes is a bit of an understatement, and we were rightly being run ragged by Port Vale. No argument about the penalty, and even though Deano guessed the right way, there was no way he was stopping Pope's spot-kick. Other than that, he didn't really have too much to do for most of the game, though it was good to see a keeper take crosses comfortably without me having to inwardly flinch each time. Prosser was not at his best, but fortunately Eastman was and thoroughly deserved his man of the match. Norris made himself available constantly, but was feeding on scraps for most of the game. I liked Bramall and Nouble's link up play down the left, but agree the jury is still out on Bramall's defensive qualities. Pell just wasn't in the game, and Stevenson made a big difference when he came on. Gambin looked a handful as well, definitely a good prospect there. At half-time I was fully expecting the U's to kick-on and win the game, and whilst they certainly upped the tempo, the final delivery was mostly woeful, so I guess a draw was a fair result.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 00:02 - Aug 4 with 1055 viewsdurham_exile

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 21:24 - Aug 3 by wessex_exile

Got back half an hour ago, and I'd agree with much of what's been said. To say we were ponderous for the first 20 minutes is a bit of an understatement, and we were rightly being run ragged by Port Vale. No argument about the penalty, and even though Deano guessed the right way, there was no way he was stopping Pope's spot-kick. Other than that, he didn't really have too much to do for most of the game, though it was good to see a keeper take crosses comfortably without me having to inwardly flinch each time. Prosser was not at his best, but fortunately Eastman was and thoroughly deserved his man of the match. Norris made himself available constantly, but was feeding on scraps for most of the game. I liked Bramall and Nouble's link up play down the left, but agree the jury is still out on Bramall's defensive qualities. Pell just wasn't in the game, and Stevenson made a big difference when he came on. Gambin looked a handful as well, definitely a good prospect there. At half-time I was fully expecting the U's to kick-on and win the game, and whilst they certainly upped the tempo, the final delivery was mostly woeful, so I guess a draw was a fair result.

I have read all the first hand accounts from the boarders who have kindly posted.

Plenty to consider.

I am annoyed that Pell was risked if he is still not fully fit.

JM is going to have to rethink tactics for Home Park next week but I hope he does not play 4,5,1 which would be a massive mistake.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 10:07 - Aug 4 with 999 viewsgerry_us

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 00:02 - Aug 4 by durham_exile

I have read all the first hand accounts from the boarders who have kindly posted.

Plenty to consider.

I am annoyed that Pell was risked if he is still not fully fit.

JM is going to have to rethink tactics for Home Park next week but I hope he does not play 4,5,1 which would be a massive mistake.

UTU's

You reckon he will play one up front Peter? Seems a bit too progressive for McGreal away from home!
Looking like another tough season for all of us all,the difference being last year we were reasonably good for the first few weeks.
Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 10:45 - Aug 4 with 993 viewsMoor_Pinot

Port Vale first up at the JobServe for the Super U's on 10:07 - Aug 4 by gerry_us

You reckon he will play one up front Peter? Seems a bit too progressive for McGreal away from home!
Looking like another tough season for all of us all,the difference being last year we were reasonably good for the first few weeks.

Early days obviously Gerry, but YES, I think you may be right.

I saw very very little [confident goalie apart] to make me even think of the top ten. Things looked very similar to the middle period of last season.

Norris is not the striker Durham wants and Brown was like a stranger. Gambin better, Hassanally interesting. Eastman did well because Prosser didn't and Stevenson was much more combative than Pell who was ineffective. Bramhall might prove to be a good signing, linked well with Nouble but as for 'strikers' it did not look like we had any, best exemplified by the last 15 seconds of added time when we did finally get a ball into the box, we DID win the header which fell into centre forward territory for a snapshot which Cureton would have put away. Norris however, decided not to advance into the box and the ball fell into blank space where he could and should have been, ie, not a striker by my reckoning. I do fear for next week. Just hope I am wrong.

Underwhelmed at the moment, wasn't impressed with pre-season, wasn't impressed yesterday when, like Wessex, I felt they'd show much much more in the second half.

Moor Pinot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024