Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Plymouth Argyle next up for the Super U's 17:22 - Aug 6 with 1470 viewsdurham_exile

JM takes his U’s charges to Home Park Plymouth this weekend for an intriguing clash of two potential promotion rivals.

The Pilgrims are of course on a high after a comfortable 3-0 away victory at Gresty Road Crewe, where almost 1700 of the Green Army made the trip from Devon.

I suppose you could argue that Plymouth Argyle is also Bury in disguise because apart from the capture of ex Bury manager Ryan Lowe they have further raided the Gigg Lane club and now include Aimson, Mayor, McFadzean and Telford in their ranks, all of whom played for the Shakers last season.

Before Argyle supporters automatically claim the League Two Championship trophy though, they should consider that against Crewe their team only had 37% possession, but of their 13 shots, 9 were on target and three of course resulted in goals. Perhaps something for the U’s to muse on.

The Pilgrim’s goal that gave me the most chagrin was that of U’s summer target Joel Grant; who despite receiving a lot of press speculation that he was unhappy at Home Park and wanting to move back to London and was linked to Colchester, miraculously in a Road to Damascus moment changed his mind and committed himself to the Devon club for another two seasons. And McFadzean, who netted a brace on Saturday, didn’t score last season in 49 appearances for the Lancashire club.

Now I’ve been looking back at some recent games that I have attended between Plymouth and Colchester. The last at Home Park was in October 2016 and we lost 2-1 to an unlucky deflected winner in the 87th minute. The game was evenly poised at 1-1 when the Referee was poleaxed by a Plymouth player. After a delay whilst the official was stretchered off the game restarted. There should have been a drop ball but the new Referee allowed Plymouth to take a throw in about 20 yards farther up the pitch (almost on the half way line) and the ball came to Luke Prosser who played a weak back pass to big Sam who struck his clearance against the Plymouth player and it sailed into the net for an undeserved winner. Macca Bonne was brought on in the 92nd minute for his customary super sub appearance.

I also went to the return game at the Weston Homes where we fought out a 0-0 draw against already promoted Argyle.

Boarders will probably best remember the time we locked horns with Neil Warnock in 1996 when in the Semi-Final of the Play Offs we defeated Plymouth 1-0 at Layer Road in the first leg with a Mark Kinsella winner only to lose 3-1 at Home Park where another late winner in the 85th minute gave Argyle a 3-2 aggregate win.

Before moving on a word about our opening game against Port Vale. Yes, a disappointing 1-1 home draw but we did draw at Notts County 0-0 last season. Players are still finding their feet so to speak, and we conceded a very early penalty, on another day we could have lost 1-0, but the team came back into contention and Norris finished smartly in the box just on half time. Second half we had the lion’s share of possession and chances, but it wasn’t to be. That point could be vital later in the season especially as Port Vale could be the surprise package this season under new ownership, new management and with a host of new faces. The main thing is to avoid defeat and build momentum.

Back to Plymouth. Home Park is going through a redevelopment phase and the new stand should be ready for Swindon Town to enjoy on New Year’s Day in front of 18,000 expectant members of the Green Army in the “Theatre of Greens”, sounds like a Greengrocers!

Ok so our record at Home Park is not brilliant but I think we will win on Saturday and that this is actually a great time to play the Devon club. Following their away win the fans will be anticipating a comfortable win against the Essex Club. An element of complacency will creep in and there will be a feeling that they only have to turn up to claim the win.

Colchester must remember that they can secure an away win at Home Park and that the pressure is firmly on Lowe and his charges. Large crowds, (Plymouth are hoping for 10,000), as we have seen many times before quickly quieten and that library style atmosphere then pervades, which affects the home side.

Make no mistake it will be a difficult game, but this is a great time to play the Pilgrims. Always remember that no titles are won in August, but you can be cut adrift with some early poor results and then must play catch up. In order to achieve at least 75 points for a coveted play-off spot, results must be garnered regularly, and consistency is the key word.

Now JM has not been helped by a pre-season injury to Ryan Jackson which although the scan showed no irregularity, when he returned to training there was clearly an ongoing problem. Paris Cowan-Hall has also contracted an achilles problem and so he will be out for some weeks. There are also doubts about Harry Pell’s fitness, which is a big issue because his inability to play for four months last season ultimately cost us a top seven spot.

That said I think that JM knows his preferred match day squad particularly after the injury news and last weekend’s game against Port Vale. This week we cannot start slowly and waste the first 20 minutes of the game because if so, we could be 2-0 down at Home Park. The team must hit the ground running and start strongly and effectively. In short take the game to Plymouth from the get-go.

That means no 4,5,1 and ultra-defensive tactics which we have deployed in the past. JM wants to go 4,4,2, or 4,3,3 and attack from the start. It doesn’t matter who you play in League Two, every team can defeat everyone else on their day.

Therefore, I hope that JM lines his team up something like this 4,3,3:

Gerken

Vincent-Young Eastman Prosser Bramall

Gambin Lapslie Stevenson

Brown Norris Nouble

Subs:

Ross Sowunmi Kensdale Pell Senior Chilvers Hasanally

Clearly if passed fit Pell must play in which case Stevenson drops to the bench. I am concerned about Courtney Senior though. He has skill, good dribbling ability and pace but equally he can drift in and out of games and particularly away from home soon become anonymous. Much was and is expected from Jevani Brown and I look to him to improve on a lack lustre performance last weekend.

If Chuck Norris is back to his best, then I expect him to perform well on Saturday and it should be a classic with the Super U’s edging it 3-2 to send the faithful home happy. As for the Greens, well they will quickly boil away to nothing if we approach the game in the right manner. In Norris we have a striker who has the ability and skill to score the much vaunted 20+ goals for the U’s this season but he needs the right kind of support from the midfield and his colleague Big Frank Nouble.

I strongly urge JM not to play five at the back with a lone striker who quickly becomes isolated. Attack must be the mantra and whilst you can respect the Argyle team there is no need to fear them. Momentum and initiative are key, and Colchester must take the game to their opponents.

The weather in Devon on Saturday is set to be 20 degrees Celsius with light rain (precipitation 80%) breezy with sunny intervals. The pitch will therefore not require sprinklers!

Safe journey to the travelling faithful making the 290-mile journey. I will be staying in North Cornwall and will drive over at lunchtime on Saturday.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 7 Aug 2019 10:08]

Durham_exile

Plymouth Argyle next up for the Super U's on 08:03 - Aug 9 with 1152 viewsdurham_exile

Latest news is that Ryan Jackson has been training this week and is fit.
However I would caution playing him in the starting XI.

He should warm the bench and perhaps get 30 minutes later in the game.
Vincent-Young and Bramall should be the full backs on Saturday.

Anyway it is good news up the U"s

Latest weather update it was wet and windy last night in North Cornwall but currently dry and overcast.

Durham_exile

Plymouth Argyle next up for the Super U's on 09:34 - Aug 9 with 1135 viewsMoor_Pinot

Plymouth Argyle next up for the Super U's on 08:03 - Aug 9 by durham_exile

Latest news is that Ryan Jackson has been training this week and is fit.
However I would caution playing him in the starting XI.

He should warm the bench and perhaps get 30 minutes later in the game.
Vincent-Young and Bramall should be the full backs on Saturday.

Anyway it is good news up the U"s

Latest weather update it was wet and windy last night in North Cornwall but currently dry and overcast.

Very much hope you enjoy the game Durham, I always drew a blank on my trips to that awful place. I thank you for yet another insightful preview and agree, don't risk Jackson. Bramhall will need to show defensive qualities tomorrow that he did not show last week so it will be interesting from that point of view. Still having KVY is a bonus but after watching all of last week's game I confess to being a bit worried for tomorrow. Plymouth are one of 7 or 8 strong, well organised teams with experience and were one of two who probably shouldn't have been relegated. Every season 2 of the 4 that drop from Div 1 go straight back [Bury & MK last time] and they may be one such. Last Saturday made it feel like it might be a long season for us this time, naturally I hope to be wrong, am fed up with what amounts to eleven seasons of slow gentle decline.

May the U's prevail in Devon for you!

Moor Pinot

Plymouth Argyle next up for the Super U's on 10:37 - Aug 10 with 973 viewsdurham_exile

Plymouth Argyle next up for the Super U's on 09:34 - Aug 9 by Moor_Pinot

Very much hope you enjoy the game Durham, I always drew a blank on my trips to that awful place. I thank you for yet another insightful preview and agree, don't risk Jackson. Bramhall will need to show defensive qualities tomorrow that he did not show last week so it will be interesting from that point of view. Still having KVY is a bonus but after watching all of last week's game I confess to being a bit worried for tomorrow. Plymouth are one of 7 or 8 strong, well organised teams with experience and were one of two who probably shouldn't have been relegated. Every season 2 of the 4 that drop from Div 1 go straight back [Bury & MK last time] and they may be one such. Last Saturday made it feel like it might be a long season for us this time, naturally I hope to be wrong, am fed up with what amounts to eleven seasons of slow gentle decline.

May the U's prevail in Devon for you!

Pinault thank you for the encouraging words.

Plymouth has 50 mph winds today but it is mild
The wind will affect the flow of the game definitely a day for keeping the ball on the deck.

Three sides of the ground are enclosed leaving the partially finished Mayflower stand with exposed ends.

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Plymouth Argyle next up for the Super U's on 13:45 - Aug 10 with 935 viewsgerry_us

Plymouth Argyle next up for the Super U's on 10:37 - Aug 10 by durham_exile

Pinault thank you for the encouraging words.

Plymouth has 50 mph winds today but it is mild
The wind will affect the flow of the game definitely a day for keeping the ball on the deck.

Three sides of the ground are enclosed leaving the partially finished Mayflower stand with exposed ends.

Come on the U's

Hope they have decent fish and chip shop down there!
Plymouth Argyle next up for the Super U's on 14:28 - Aug 10 with 924 viewsmfb_cufc

U's side to face Plymouth: Gerken, Vincent-Young, Eastman, Prosser, Bramall, Lapslie, Stevenson, Senior, Brown, Nouble, Norris

U's subs v Plymouth: Kensdale, Jackson, Chilvers, Comley, Hasanally, Gambin, Ross

One notable omission with Pell not in the squad. Still not 100% fit I would say.

mfb

Plymouth Argyle next up for the Super U's on 14:29 - Aug 10 with 924 viewsdurham_exile

Plymouth Argyle next up for the Super U's on 13:45 - Aug 10 by gerry_us

Hope they have decent fish and chip shop down there!

Gerry the pasty and tea were ok

Plymouth decided to water the pitch!
Considering the amount of rain the surface is immaculate.

No Pell today which makes sense he's still not fully fit.

Plenty on Chuck's shoulders today and Jevani Brown

3-2 to the super U's

UTU'd

Durham_exile

Plymouth Argyle next up for the Super U's on 14:41 - Aug 10 with 920 viewsFruitbat

Plymouth Argyle next up for the Super U's on 14:28 - Aug 10 by mfb_cufc

U's side to face Plymouth: Gerken, Vincent-Young, Eastman, Prosser, Bramall, Lapslie, Stevenson, Senior, Brown, Nouble, Norris

U's subs v Plymouth: Kensdale, Jackson, Chilvers, Comley, Hasanally, Gambin, Ross

One notable omission with Pell not in the squad. Still not 100% fit I would say.

Not surprised by the omission of Pell, he didn't look anywhere near fit last week.
Plymouth Argyle next up for the Super U's on 15:51 - Aug 10 with 888 viewsmfb_cufc

Half-time. Plymouth 0 U's 0 - fairly even opening 45 minutes at a windy Home Park. The hosts have looked marginally the more threatening but little to choose between the two sides at present; U's defending well.

mfb

Login to get fewer ads

Plymouth Argyle next up for the Super U's on 16:19 - Aug 10 with 876 viewsmfb_cufc

Lively start to the second-half.

4:11pm
Plymouth 0 U's 0 - Moore drove towards the U’s goal before driving in a fierce low shot that rattled the bottom of the post with Gerken beaten (52)

4:09pm
Plymouth 0 U's 0 - great chance for the U's to open the scoring goes begging; Vincent-Young drives in a low cross but Lapslie can only poke it wide from five yards (50)

4:07pm
Plymouth 0 U's 0 - Norris' powerful shot parried by Palmer before the danger is cleared (48)

4:06pm
Plymouth 0 U's 0 - Senior sent a low shot straight at Palmer after Brown had flicked the ball into his path (46)

mfb

Plymouth Argyle next up for the Super U's on 16:20 - Aug 10 with 873 viewsmfb_cufc

Plymouth 1 U's 0 - Sarcevic drilled a fine low shot past Gerken from the edge of the area after Mayor had done well to pick him out (58).

mfb

Plymouth Argyle next up for the Super U's on 16:27 - Aug 10 with 867 viewsmfb_cufc

Gambin replaces Senior in the 64th minute.

mfb

Plymouth Argyle next up for the Super U's on 16:38 - Aug 10 with 862 viewsmfb_cufc

U's have rather lost their way after the Plymouth goal; need to pull something out of the hat in the final 15 minutes if they are to rescue anything from the game (75)

mfb

Plymouth Argyle next up for the Super U's on 16:42 - Aug 10 with 861 viewsmfb_cufc

Jackson on for Bramall (76)

mfb

Plymouth Argyle next up for the Super U's on 16:47 - Aug 10 with 857 viewsmfb_cufc

Good late effort from the U's to get something from the game.

4:43pm
Gambin's curled effort a whisker away from the target after Nouble had done well to pick him out (84)

4:40pm
good spell this for the U's; need to make it count though with time running out (81)

mfb

Plymouth Argyle next up for the Super U's on 16:48 - Aug 10 with 857 viewsgerry_us

I've heard that the Plymouth goal has been referred to VAR but we will have to wait until Thursday for a decision.
Plymouth Argyle next up for the Super U's on 16:51 - Aug 10 with 855 viewsmfb_cufc

Hasanally on for Lapslie (84)

mfb

Plymouth Argyle next up for the Super U's on 16:56 - Aug 10 with 852 viewsmfb_cufc

Full time:- Plymouth 1 U's 0

mfb

Plymouth Argyle next up for the Super U's on 17:19 - Aug 10 with 824 viewsGOSBTS

It was always gonna be a hard ask today. Onwards and upwards to the Cambridge game.
Plymouth Argyle next up for the Super U's on 21:59 - Aug 10 with 649 viewsLeadbelly

One point outside the relegation zone. Humes out!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Plymouth Argyle next up for the Super U's on 22:11 - Aug 10 with 642 viewsburnsieespana

Even Cambridge are ahead of us. Already five points down on leaders. We desperately need a win to get the show on the road.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024