Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby 09:10 - Aug 17 with 1813 viewsdurham_exile

Matchday Three and a tasty local derby against unbeaten Cambridge United now led by Colin Calderwood and about to be under new ownership with Paul Barry the majority shareholder taking over the club. Barry has committed to fund the club’s ongoing losses for at least 5 years and has apparently invested £1.3m to clear some existing debt.

Cambridge have started the season well with two drawn league games at Bradford and at home to Newport (both 0-0) and in midweek they won at Brentford in the Carabao Cup 5-4 on penalties after a 1-1 draw in normal time. Their “reward” is a trip to Swansea in Round Two.

Of course, it will be a case of reunions on Saturday with Jevani Brown coming up against his old club and Jabo Ibehre (who has now clocked up 600 EFL games) returning to Colchester. Cambridge also have threats from Reggie Lambe and Andrew Dallas.

As far as Colchester is concerned the big talking point has been that of Kane Vincent-Young going to the Farmers for £500K. A strange and unpopular move because we said no to Luton Town (twice) and Charlton were also rebutted. Yes, Ipswich were interested last season (now under new management) but they weren’t interested until loanee and top goal scorer Luke Garbutt was injured in their last match.

Over the years many players have been transferred between our two clubs (not unusual given the geographical proximity and monitoring of players that appears to constantly go on) but I’ve always believed that the Poorman Road club have always received the better end of the deal. Bigger club and support yes but they have been in the doldrums for many years now. Anyway, the deal has been done and we have lost another of our better players.

Ipswich to Colchester:
Neil Gregory
Tom Eastman
Micky Stockwell
Chris Keeble
Steve Whitton
Alec Chamberlain
Dean Gerken

Colchester to Ipswich:
Kevin Lisbie
Freddie Sears
Anthony Wordworth
Kane Vincent-Young

More disturbingly JM as far as I know did not win the appeal against the red card from the FA for Cohen Bramall, who will now miss the next three games and with the sale of KVY leaves us with limited cover. Either Kensdale or Cameron James will deputise at left back.

Worryingly the Injuries are mounting up; Paris Cowan-Hall is out with an achilles injury, Harry Pell with tendonitis and now Luke (Chuck) Norris is being monitored for a hamstring injury.

Our strike force which is wafer thin has just been reduced by 50%. Junior is still at Derry City until November.

I notice that as late as yesterday League Two clubs are signing strikers on loan. Colchester have made no inroads into either the permanent deal or loan market for a striker and the talent pool must be reducing drastically.

Therefore, the team is likely to be along the following lines:

Gerken

Jackson Eastman Prosser James

Lapslie Stevenson

Senior Gambin

Brown

Nouble

Subs:
Ross Kensdale Sowunmi Chilvers Comley Hasanally Clampin

Now I know that the mere mention of a striker sends JM into a blue funk, but whether he likes it or not some of that cash from Szmodics (£750K), Kent (£360K) and KVY (£500K) must be diverted to the acquisition of a new striker.

I don’t understand why those august organs of the press (Gazette and EADT) are not clamouring for a striker on the U’s behalf.

Still the patched-up team will have to pull out all the stops today to secure three points. A win is vital to not only keep the confidence levels up but also put some points on the board to keep pace with the leaders.

A pleasant 21 degrees Celsius and sunny intervals at the JobServe CS today.

Cambridge will bring 600+ and so it is hoped to see 4,000 inside the stadium. The faithful will be in good voice in the South Stand.

Three points with a 2-0 home victory.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 20:19 - Aug 17 with 593 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 20:02 - Aug 17 by thrillseeker

Possibly not

I have concerns regarding Gerken with equaliser but can't really coment from my view in E7 so need to see TV before final decision

Looked like a close range effort straight at Gerken that went through his hands and then between his legs. 999 times out of 1000 he would have handled that with no difficulty. Very frustrating but he is still a massive improvement on what we had last season.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 20:29 - Aug 17 with 585 viewsthrillseeker

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 20:19 - Aug 17 by Leadbelly

Looked like a close range effort straight at Gerken that went through his hands and then between his legs. 999 times out of 1000 he would have handled that with no difficulty. Very frustrating but he is still a massive improvement on what we had last season.

A huge improvement

I noticed Gilmartin was on the bench for Bristol City today
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 20:29]
Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 20:49 - Aug 17 with 576 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 20:02 - Aug 17 by thrillseeker

Possibly not

I have concerns regarding Gerken with equaliser but can't really coment from my view in E7 so need to see TV before final decision

Goalkeeper at fault for both goals but we should have been 5 to the good so it wouldn't have mattered.
I'd give this management another month.

Moor Pinot

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 21:02 - Aug 17 with 569 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 20:49 - Aug 17 by Moor_Pinot

Goalkeeper at fault for both goals but we should have been 5 to the good so it wouldn't have mattered.
I'd give this management another month.

Wouldn’t blame Gerken for the first goal. Fault lies with those who allowed the cross and the numerous defenders in the box who didn’t mark or challenge the scorer. Sloppy defending In my opinion.

With the way the club is run I’m sure this management team will be around for a long time yet.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 22:10 - Aug 17 with 531 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 21:02 - Aug 17 by Leadbelly

Wouldn’t blame Gerken for the first goal. Fault lies with those who allowed the cross and the numerous defenders in the box who didn’t mark or challenge the scorer. Sloppy defending In my opinion.

With the way the club is run I’m sure this management team will be around for a long time yet.

Gloom!

Moor Pinot

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 08:48 - Aug 18 with 464 viewsbwildered

“I’m bewildered as to how we lost and it was tough to take.”

You and me John . But hold on, we never learn that goals win matches, more likely to concede if the possession percentage is high in our half and one shot on target deep in extra time all make it another pointless display.
Perhaps we are getting our customary winless ten match league run in early, has our must start better in terms of the campaign has failed to deliver .
Perhaps it is not just toes that have been stubbed, but the start to the season .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 08:56 - Aug 18 with 462 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 08:48 - Aug 18 by bwildered

“I’m bewildered as to how we lost and it was tough to take.”

You and me John . But hold on, we never learn that goals win matches, more likely to concede if the possession percentage is high in our half and one shot on target deep in extra time all make it another pointless display.
Perhaps we are getting our customary winless ten match league run in early, has our must start better in terms of the campaign has failed to deliver .
Perhaps it is not just toes that have been stubbed, but the start to the season .

I'm also getting concerned about the tinkering that JM is doing. He hasn't decided whether Gambin or Senior is his preferred winger. Can he play both?

He must consider dropping Prosser and playing Omar Sowunmi. JM has his favourites and they play regardless but he must play his best starting XI.

Perhaps too much is being expected of Brown too soon, he needs support.

Injuries mounting up - really concerned about Harry Pell - he is sorely missed.

The bench is largely experimental and inexperienced.

JM must bring in a striker this week. preferably on Monday so that he can play at Grimsby.

That is the number one priority.

Currently U's sinking fast after customary shaky start.

Defeat to Cambridge especially hard to take.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 11:27 - Aug 18 with 417 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 08:56 - Aug 18 by durham_exile

I'm also getting concerned about the tinkering that JM is doing. He hasn't decided whether Gambin or Senior is his preferred winger. Can he play both?

He must consider dropping Prosser and playing Omar Sowunmi. JM has his favourites and they play regardless but he must play his best starting XI.

Perhaps too much is being expected of Brown too soon, he needs support.

Injuries mounting up - really concerned about Harry Pell - he is sorely missed.

The bench is largely experimental and inexperienced.

JM must bring in a striker this week. preferably on Monday so that he can play at Grimsby.

That is the number one priority.

Currently U's sinking fast after customary shaky start.

Defeat to Cambridge especially hard to take.

UTU's

It was actually worse than that to witness Durham. Dominance that came to nought bar a hundred million delightful triangular passes between our players on or near the halfway line which Cambridge tolerated until we lost the ball. In the second half there was no cohesion whatsoever. Cambridge looked like choirboys in the first half and a football team in the second. We had no 'team' in either half. Norris looks unfit and slow, holds the ball up well at times but has no striker to exchange with.

As you say management are tinkering. We have sold our 3 best players, had a pre-season of meaningless games and have learnt nothing since last season so we have the same - only missing the quality we have sold. Is Junior scoring for Derry does anyone know?

Gambin btw is not a winger, he has less pace than Senior but is more aware of his team mates. He should start games not come on when Senior has done his usual trick-nothing. Frank has started the season fitter and looked more dangerous but yesterday even he was playing football primarily on his own. Brown just looks lost, do I pass? If so, who to? Do I take on the defence and get a shot in? NO better not, that's not the Colchester way we don't take shots we try to walk the ball in to the net but I don't know how to do that so I'd best pass it back to the halfway line.......etc At present I suspect he'd rather be at Cambridge.
Many more poor performances like last Tuesday and yesterday second half and what confidence a few of them have will dissipate and a year earlier than predicted by one or two boarders on here we will be the new Notts County.

Why no striker has been sought is utterly irresponsible.

Moor Pinot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024