Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe 15:39 - Aug 23 with 1042 viewsdurham_exile

Northampton Town managed by Keith Curle and fresh from an away win at Swindon are the visitors to the JobServe Community Stadium this weekend.

The question though on many people’s lips is “are we a club in crisis?”

The answer categorically is no, not yet, but we desperately need a victory after two draws and two defeats.

I have been to the game at Plymouth where we were the better team and failed to take our chances allowing Plymouth to score a solitary winner and have just watched the capitulation from a position of strength at Grimsby, when from a commanding 2-0 half time lead we threw away the advantage with a poor defensive second half showing which resulted in two more points dropped.

Such profligacy will soon attain crisis status unless the trend can be arrested, and three points garnered at home to the Cobblers.

Now the reaction from the players at full time against the Mariners was to trudge from the field almost forgetting about the 144 members of the faithful who had cheered the team on throughout the match.

JM was conspicuous by his absence at the end. He claims that abuse was raining down upon him. I didn’t hear any and none was directed at the players from where I was standing. Of course, I have been to games where abuse has been forthcoming notably the last visit to Accrington when we lost, and the players were shocking.

JM the man who is according to the faithful “he’s big he’s scouse he’ll rob your council house” needs to grow a thicker skin. After all he has the safest job in football. He is untouchable and has the full support of the Chairman and the board without the need for the classic statement. Put simply he has less chance of being sacked that Jurgen Klopp, such is his position of safety no ultimate security.

A pity because with Phil Parkinson out of a job, I would have him back in a heartbeat at the Community Stadium but there is no vacancy and unlikely to be one for years. Not an appealing thought.

This is our fourth season in League Two we have lost some quality players this season to other clubs and the replacements are yet to gel in a side that is incapable of playing consistently for 90 minutes.

Of course, it’s not all bad. Gerken offers experience and a safe pair of hands. Ryan Jackson is superb, Tom Eastman outstanding, Ryan Clampin an inspiration.

Brandon Comley is ok, Jevani Brown is growing into the number 10 role, Luke Gambin needs to be given 90 minutes. Courtney Senior needs a kick up the backside. I like Ben Stevenson very much as a player. Big Frank Nouble played his best game for the U’s on Tuesday night and Chuck Norris has lost weight and is leaner and fitter and looking more like the striker we signed from Swindon.

Harry Pell is sorely missed, and Paris Cowan-Hall needs to get back to fitness to add to the forward play. Tom Lapslie has been missed since contracting an injury.

Luke Prosser has suddenly become an indifferent player and Omar Sowunmi despite his physical presence is criticised for his overall play. In fairness I liked him at Cefn Druids, but JM has not given him an opportunity (four minutes on Tuesday night) to shine.

But the bench is lightweight and inexperienced. The club are turning a blind eye to the clamour for a new striker in order to convert more chances which go begging every week. We have youngsters to come in but we need experience in the form of a striker and a return to health of Harry Pell soonest.

So, who will JM select for Saturday’s must win AT ALL COSTS game:

Gerken

Jackson Eastman Prosser Clampin

Senior Comley Stevenson

Brown

Nouble Norris

Subs:
Ross Sowunmi James Gambin Chilvers Hasanally Poku

Frankly with all the injuries that is the best line-up.

The Cobblers will come well heeled and with confidence after their good start and our indifferent one.

The weather in Colchester is set fair with 26 degrees Celsius and sunshine, it will feel more like 29 degrees with the humidity.

Northampton will bring 600 or so.

Time for the players to step up and secure that first league win. They must banish thoughts of the Eagles on Tuesday night and focus on a 2-0 victory.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

PS dare I mention another striker who could do a job for the U's. Harry Bunn from Bury the crisis club may well be available this weekend and could sign in time for the Crystal Palace game.

Durham_exile

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 19:07 - Aug 23 with 669 viewsLeadbelly

Top work as usual Durham.

Barring injured players returning your projected starting XI is almost certain to be McGreal’s selection but based on what I saw against Cambridge I’d pick Gambin ahead of Senior. In his brief cameo he supplied three decent crosses and show far greater awareness than Senior. Doubt it will happen.

If we are leading at half time tomorrow I might go back to the pub!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 22:03 - Aug 23 with 647 viewsdurham_exile

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 19:07 - Aug 23 by Leadbelly

Top work as usual Durham.

Barring injured players returning your projected starting XI is almost certain to be McGreal’s selection but based on what I saw against Cambridge I’d pick Gambin ahead of Senior. In his brief cameo he supplied three decent crosses and show far greater awareness than Senior. Doubt it will happen.

If we are leading at half time tomorrow I might go back to the pub!

LB I totally agree about Gambin.
He should be given a start and allowed to play the full 90.
JM could play them both but he would have to drop Brown and I can't see that happening.
When Pell returns JM will have to drop either Comley, Stevenson or Lapslie.

Your idea about the pub has considerable merit.

JM is incapable of holding onto a victory but that is the problem, his mindset is to hold what we have rather than pushing for more. Grimsby was a classic example of JM's defensive approach. The difference between the first and second halves was clear for all to see. It still riles me and I thought that I might have calmed down by now.

Anyway enjoy the game and I hope you witness a home win.

UTU's

Durham_exile

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 11:28 - Aug 24 with 591 viewsgerry_us

Maybe I shouldn't but hoping for a good thumping by the Cobblers today. Then, and only then, MAYBE him is charge may get the hint.
If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 11:42 - Aug 24 with 586 viewswessex_exile

Crisis - wot crisis!

This has been a most frustrating start to the season, mainly because for pretty much all of the games so far we've been good enough to be worthy of more, and yet have consistently come away with less. However, we must remember the Swindon result was flattering - were it not for the double red card, Swindon were easily the better side and should have won the game comfortably. As for Grimsby, some great 1st half stuff from the U's in flashes, and I agree Nouble and Norris looked very strong, but this must be seen against a very simple backdrop - Grimsby were the better side. When their equaliser was hammered in (and it was a belter it has to be said), it felt like my guts had been ripped out, and was just as furious as everyone else. However, my bigger concern was that we were second best for most the game against a Grimsby side that no one believes will be promotion contenders this season.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 12:07 - Aug 24 with 581 viewswessex_exile

Incidentally, the Gazette is suggesting Paris Cowan-Hall might be back in the squad today. Certainly won't start, but might get a run out towards the end if there's no risk to the result (i.e. we're winning, or losing, comfortably...)?

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/sport/17858161.colchester-united-head-coach-john-

Up the U's

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 12:39 - Aug 24 with 574 viewsdurham_exile

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 12:07 - Aug 24 by wessex_exile

Incidentally, the Gazette is suggesting Paris Cowan-Hall might be back in the squad today. Certainly won't start, but might get a run out towards the end if there's no risk to the result (i.e. we're winning, or losing, comfortably...)?

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/sport/17858161.colchester-united-head-coach-john-

Wessex I saw that about Cowan-Hall.

There is no word on Pell and his tendonitis however.

We have for several seasons now suffered from long term injuries to key players. Is it bad luck, poor physiotherapy, over training, lack of fitness or a combination of these and other factors.

I know footballers sustain injuries but we do seem to get to get more than our fair share of injuries. Soft tissue, ACL, broken bones, etc, etc.

Anyway let's welcome Paris back at some time this afternoon.
UTU's

Durham_exile

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 12:47 - Aug 24 with 568 viewsMoor_Pinot

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 11:42 - Aug 24 by wessex_exile

Crisis - wot crisis!

This has been a most frustrating start to the season, mainly because for pretty much all of the games so far we've been good enough to be worthy of more, and yet have consistently come away with less. However, we must remember the Swindon result was flattering - were it not for the double red card, Swindon were easily the better side and should have won the game comfortably. As for Grimsby, some great 1st half stuff from the U's in flashes, and I agree Nouble and Norris looked very strong, but this must be seen against a very simple backdrop - Grimsby were the better side. When their equaliser was hammered in (and it was a belter it has to be said), it felt like my guts had been ripped out, and was just as furious as everyone else. However, my bigger concern was that we were second best for most the game against a Grimsby side that no one believes will be promotion contenders this season.

You echo my thoughts and concerns Andy. Not confident about today, not bothered about next Tuesday, just worried.

Moor Pinot

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 16:12 - Aug 24 with 536 viewsdurham_exile

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 12:07 - Aug 24 by wessex_exile

Still 0-0
Can we do this, I do hope so

UTU's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 16:18 - Aug 24 with 531 viewsgerry_us

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 16:12 - Aug 24 by durham_exile

Still 0-0
Can we do this, I do hope so

UTU's

We'll be defending the one point Peter!
If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 16:21 - Aug 24 with 530 viewsdurham_exile

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 16:18 - Aug 24 by gerry_us

We'll be defending the one point Peter!

No chance of any replacements yet Gerry not even defensive ones. Much too early.

UTU's

Durham_exile

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 16:28 - Aug 24 with 524 viewsdurham_exile

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 16:21 - Aug 24 by durham_exile

No chance of any replacements yet Gerry not even defensive ones. Much too early.

UTU's

Ben Stevenson draws the foul in the box and Chuck tucks the penalty away.

UTU's

Durham_exile

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 16:28 - Aug 24 with 524 viewswessex_exile

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 16:21 - Aug 24 by durham_exile

UTU's

Norris from the penalty spot! Gambin making all the difference - now come on U's, best defensive is to get another one!!!

Up the U's!

Up the U's

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 16:28 - Aug 24 with 523 viewsgerry_us

UTU's

OK, defend three points now, even more of a concern!
If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 16:44 - Aug 24 with 517 viewswessex_exile

Paris Cowan-Hall on!

Up the U's

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 16:48 - Aug 24 with 515 viewsdurham_exile

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 16:44 - Aug 24 by wessex_exile

Paris Cowan-Hall on!

Whisper it but we've passed the 87th minute mark, our nemesis.

UTU's

Durham_exile

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 16:51 - Aug 24 with 514 viewsdurham_exile

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 16:48 - Aug 24 by durham_exile

Whisper it but we've passed the 87th minute mark, our nemesis.

UTU's

Four additional minutes

Come on

Durham_exile

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 16:55 - Aug 24 with 510 viewsdurham_exile

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 16:51 - Aug 24 by durham_exile

Four additional minutes

Come on

Full time

UTU's

Durham_exile

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 16:56 - Aug 24 with 510 viewsgerry_us

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 16:51 - Aug 24 by durham_exile

Four additional minutes

Come on

Phew............
If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 17:01 - Aug 24 with 507 viewsdurham_exile

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 16:56 - Aug 24 by gerry_us

Phew............

Attendance 3,164

Crystal Palace warm up for Tuesday night with a win at OT

It would be good to see Pell back soon

UTU's

Durham_exile

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 17:04 - Aug 24 with 502 viewsgerry_us

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 17:01 - Aug 24 by durham_exile

Attendance 3,164

Crystal Palace warm up for Tuesday night with a win at OT

It would be good to see Pell back soon

UTU's

Now for the Man U slayers...
If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 17:32 - Aug 24 with 493 viewsMoor_Pinot

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 16:56 - Aug 24 by gerry_us

Phew............

I can't say that in French Gerry.
Bravo bravo will have to do.
Not interested in the Palace game.
Mightily relieved after another poorish game albeit very warm for football.

Moor Pinot

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 18:46 - Aug 24 with 466 viewsgerry_us

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 17:32 - Aug 24 by Moor_Pinot

I can't say that in French Gerry.
Bravo bravo will have to do.
Not interested in the Palace game.
Mightily relieved after another poorish game albeit very warm for football.

Ouf, nous l'avons presque manqué!
If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 19:22 - Aug 24 with 456 viewsMoor_Pinot

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 18:46 - Aug 24 by gerry_us

Ouf, nous l'avons presque manqué!

Aah, merci Gerry, maintenant je comprends!

Moor Pinot

If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 19:37 - Aug 24 with 448 viewsburnsieespana

Enjoyed my first game of the season although my how we drew back into the last quarter for the last ten minutes with at times everybody in it.
Anyway onwards and now hopefully upwards.
Am going on Tues sinc in the UK and my son works in Croydon and lives nearby. Heard today we have sold close to 1200 tickets!
If the shoe fits, Colchester to leather the Cobblers at the JobServe on 19:42 - Aug 24 with 447 viewsbwildered

Bless my sole, first three points and home win for the U's in this campaign .
A unconvincing display against another mediocre side, seperated by a penalty . Gambin lighted a spark after the break for the totally ineffective Brown in a ten minute spell, but alas not much after.
The defence saw the job home, but if you cannot see these team off come the end of the season, you will not be in the mix. Several times in the last quater we look unconvincing due the managers tactics, but composure, possession and pace would elevate much concern.
Need to be more clinical in all aspects of the game, but fear the management also need to relate to fluidity to improve the situation .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024