Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to tame Latics at Boundary Park 07:54 - Aug 30 with 728 viewsdurham_exile

At the end of a momentous week, which has seen the U's record our first league win of the season and then to secure a third round Carabao Cup appearance against Spurs at the JobServe following a superb victory at Selhurst Park, you would expect the team to be elated and buzzing.

Sadly a series of muscle tissue injuries continues to reduce our playing staff options. Tom Lapslie and Omar Sowunmi both have quad injuries, Cohen Bramall, after serving his three match ban has picked up an ankle injury and Ben Stevenson may not be fit for Saturday.

Worse still Harry Pell now faces at least a further six weeks on the sidelines with an Achilles problem.

JM was able to announce the signing on loan of Freddie Hinds from Bristol City and Theo Robinson from Southend to strengthen our attacking options but Hinds is likely to play initially for the U23's. Robinson is a player I have always liked and I hope that he will prove to be an asset.

It also transpires that Noah Chilvers is wanted by West Ham. Enough already.

Anyway after the excitement of the cup we return to vital league business at Oldham Athletic. Laurent Banide is their head coach and despite injury problems of his own can boast Chris Eagles within their ranks.

So the focus is on Boundary Park and three more points as we continue to climb the table. I do not know whether Luke Gambin has joined the Maltese squad but obviously if he has then he will be unavailable for Saturday.

JM could line up as follows:

Gerken

Jackson Eastman Prosser Clampin

Senior Chilvers Comley Gambin

Nouble Norris

Subs
Ross Kensdale James Brown Cowan-Hall Robinson Stevenson or Hasanally

One worry is that of overplaying the squad. August has been a punishing month and several of the squad are youngsters. Our injury situation is not helping.

Weather on Saturday is likely to be wet with some sunny intervals. Cooler but that is no bad thing after the cauldron of Selhurst Park.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful.

Colchester to prevail 2-0.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to tame Latics at Boundary Park on 10:33 - Aug 30 with 711 viewsMoor_Pinot

Splendid as ever Durham. I wonder if we can pick Oldham's pocket on the back of a sound display on Tuesday. I enjoyed trips to Boundary Park but it's no easy ride there - we blew up last year just when I thought we might get 3 points, it was another of the games where cautious management wrecked what had been achieved on the pitch.

I should like to see Chilvers play regularly now. What he showed on Tuesday was exactly the sort of thing many of us have been saying.
Our ghastly straight-jacket management which by its very nature eliminates growth and only promotes caution and a One track methodology was blitzed by a young man who had the confidence to ignore all that the bench were howling and say ' give me the ball I'll score this penalty'. He thus forces his way inside the [limited] thinking of our management structure and causes them to rub chins and wonder what to do with him; JUST as they never knew what to do with Slater or Collins and now Gambin.
Chilvers may just have circumvented the limitations of the way Colchester United is run. Maybe even Robinson [whose stats are decent] will play some part too. In past times we have re-juvenated careers of good players gone awol [Cureton, Iwelumo, Brown, Davidson........], Robinson could be another.
The season has begun slowly and with no discernible improvement on what we saw November to March, we have lost 3 excellent players and so my own hope-meter is stuck on mid table. Only by a change of approach - bravo Noah! - will this expectation be uprated.
At least we are not Bury, poor beggars.

Up the U's

Moor Pinot

Super U's to tame Latics at Boundary Park on 19:58 - Aug 30 with 664 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to tame Latics at Boundary Park on 10:33 - Aug 30 by Moor_Pinot

Splendid as ever Durham. I wonder if we can pick Oldham's pocket on the back of a sound display on Tuesday. I enjoyed trips to Boundary Park but it's no easy ride there - we blew up last year just when I thought we might get 3 points, it was another of the games where cautious management wrecked what had been achieved on the pitch.

I should like to see Chilvers play regularly now. What he showed on Tuesday was exactly the sort of thing many of us have been saying.
Our ghastly straight-jacket management which by its very nature eliminates growth and only promotes caution and a One track methodology was blitzed by a young man who had the confidence to ignore all that the bench were howling and say ' give me the ball I'll score this penalty'. He thus forces his way inside the [limited] thinking of our management structure and causes them to rub chins and wonder what to do with him; JUST as they never knew what to do with Slater or Collins and now Gambin.
Chilvers may just have circumvented the limitations of the way Colchester United is run. Maybe even Robinson [whose stats are decent] will play some part too. In past times we have re-juvenated careers of good players gone awol [Cureton, Iwelumo, Brown, Davidson........], Robinson could be another.
The season has begun slowly and with no discernible improvement on what we saw November to March, we have lost 3 excellent players and so my own hope-meter is stuck on mid table. Only by a change of approach - bravo Noah! - will this expectation be uprated.
At least we are not Bury, poor beggars.

Up the U's

Amen to that Pinault - our problems pale into insignificance when you look at was has become of poor Bury, so despite our own personal and various misgivings about the U's, in that context we really do have to be grateful for what we have.

Another excellent preview Durham - Boundary Park is always a tricky place to visit, but I've seen us get success there in the past, so let's hope tomorrow brings more of that.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Super U's to tame Latics at Boundary Park on 14:52 - Aug 31 with 599 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to tame Latics at Boundary Park on 19:58 - Aug 30 by wessex_exile

Amen to that Pinault - our problems pale into insignificance when you look at was has become of poor Bury, so despite our own personal and various misgivings about the U's, in that context we really do have to be grateful for what we have.

Another excellent preview Durham - Boundary Park is always a tricky place to visit, but I've seen us get success there in the past, so let's hope tomorrow brings more of that.

No Chilvers or Robinson to start. Nothing changes and so our slow learner manager learns less and less. In 3 years nothing has changed which is why we are as we are. Creativity makes things happen. Trying nothing new retains what you had before - hence our mediocrity.
God bless a new Bury.

Moor Pinot

Super U's to tame Latics at Boundary Park on 15:38 - Aug 31 with 588 viewsgerry_us

Ian Henderson scores against Sarfend Shame!
Super U's to tame Latics at Boundary Park on 15:48 - Aug 31 with 585 viewsgerry_us

Nouble 1-0 U's.
Can anyone suggest what the half time talk will concentrate on?
Super U's to tame Latics at Boundary Park on 15:55 - Aug 31 with 582 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to tame Latics at Boundary Park on 15:48 - Aug 31 by gerry_us

Nouble 1-0 U's.
Can anyone suggest what the half time talk will concentrate on?

I'll have a go, Gerry. Defending the lead....... Just like we did there last year when 3-1 up.

Moor Pinot

Super U's to tame Latics at Boundary Park on 16:53 - Aug 31 with 566 viewsGOSBTS

1-0 FT, get in there!!
Super U's to tame Latics at Boundary Park on 16:56 - Aug 31 with 564 viewswessex_exile

Fantastic result! Under the cosh in the first half, then a bit of Nouble brilliance to snatch the lead. Much stronger in the second half, nullified Oldham's pressure very well, and still fashioned out enough decent chances of their own - not quite win ugly, but three wins out of three is definitely cause for celebration.

Up the U's!!!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to tame Latics at Boundary Park on 17:29 - Aug 31 with 547 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to tame Latics at Boundary Park on 16:56 - Aug 31 by wessex_exile

Fantastic result! Under the cosh in the first half, then a bit of Nouble brilliance to snatch the lead. Much stronger in the second half, nullified Oldham's pressure very well, and still fashioned out enough decent chances of their own - not quite win ugly, but three wins out of three is definitely cause for celebration.

Up the U's!!!

All credit to them, three clean sheets too Wessex!

Moor Pinot

Super U's to tame Latics at Boundary Park on 18:10 - Aug 31 with 527 viewspwrightsknees

Our undefeated run is extended to four games. Amazingly, Mr. McGreal has nearly got us into the top half of the table!
[Post edited 31 Aug 2019 18:11]
Super U's to tame Latics at Boundary Park on 19:48 - Aug 31 with 482 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to tame Latics at Boundary Park on 17:29 - Aug 31 by Moor_Pinot

All credit to them, three clean sheets too Wessex!

Pinault just back from Boundary Park.

Thoroughly deserved the victory. And for a few minutes JM had Norris Nouble and Robinson as three strikers.

Theo Robinson is already a fans favourite he could have scored 20 seconds after coming on but unfortunately clipped the bar then from the rebound Chuck struck the post.

Report to follow tomorrow but a very pleasing week.
All the players and JM came to see the faithful at the final whistle which was very good.
Another clean sheet.

UTU's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024