Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's deservedly overcome resilient Latics at Boundary Park 16:00 - Sep 1 with 440 viewsdurham_exile

Yesterday’s well-deserved victory away to Oldham Athletic ended a tremendous week for the U’s with three clean sheets and three victories.

It was a keenly contested game, but I felt that the U’s were too classy for the Latics and a second goal would not have flattered the Essex side.

I travelled north from the West Midlands to Oldham after a family wedding which had taken place on the Friday near Shrewsbury.

I think that now the Away supporters are accommodated in the Chaddy end of the ground, it is easier both for parking and access. Attendance yesterday was 3,091 with 145 of the faithful included within that figure. More performances like yesterday will see that figure rise as the club have started to convert performances into results and are playing some decent football.

Weather was better than the forecast with plenty of warm sunshine and the merest hint of rain. The pitch was also in very good condition. In fact, the grounds that I have been to so far this season (Plymouth, Grimsby and Oldham) have all sported excellent playing surfaces.

Before we start it should be noted that Bristol City had once again benched Sammie Szmodics and he was once again an unused substitute. What a waste.

JM once again lined up as follows:

Gerken

Jackson Eastman Prosser Clampin

Senior Comley Stevenson Gambin

Nouble Norris

Subs:
Kensdale James Chilvers Ross Robinson Brown Cowan-Hall

Gerken was outstanding yesterday, handling good, confident saves and distribution very good. The back four look settled with Jackson playing more like a right half and the imperious Eastman never missing a header or a challenge. Now years ago, the Forest fans used to sing “You’ll never beat Des Walker” — we had a legend at the back in Pat “Rio” Baldwin, but Tom Eastman is better than both. I am looking forward to seeing him perform in the Spurs game against Harry Kane.

Now Luke Prosser had a shaky start to the season but yesterday he was back to his assured best. The fourth member is Ryan Clampin who yesterday struck a shot that whistled just over the bar. 18 inches lower and it would have been a contender for goal of the season.

Yesterday JM answered my question could Senior and Gambin play together and the answer was a resounding yes. They started right and left wings respectively and swapped sides repeatedly during the first 45.

Now despite their lowly position the Latics have some skilful and pacy players. Maouche, Fage and Wilson three examples of young players who were sharp and tested the Colchester defence.

Up front I think that Frank Nouble has never played better for the U’s. He was brilliant at Grimsby and possibly even better yesterday with power, pace and another quality strike to win the match.

Chuck Norris looks more like his old self and was unlucky with a chance yesterday which found the roof of the net.

The faithful were in good voice throughout and their rapport with both Noah Chilvers and Theo Robinson whilst they were warming up was enjoyable. Chilvers the hero from Selhurst Park and Robinson with his Southend allegiance.

The chant 1-0 to the Arsenal could well be replaced with 1-0 to the Colchester if current form is maintained.

Colchester despite the lively Oldham midfielders, bossed the first half and when Norris sent Big Frank away on the left wing, he cut inside the box drew the keeper and scored with a hard-low diagonal shot that found the bottom of the net. Just before half time but it had been coming and Colchester deserved their lead.

Big Frank struck a crane pose made famous by the Karate Kid in the film trilogy. It is debatable whether JM is Mr Miyagi but the faithful were warming to JM yesterday.

Now at half time I had the Latics meal deal, a pie and a drink for £5. The meat and potato pie was on a par with those served at Rochdale which is high praise and the coffee was ok. But it was a good deal.

No substitutes at half time for either team and second half the U’s were kicking towards the faithful. The game was following a similar pattern with Colchester successfully soaking up Oldham pressure and counterattacking with purpose. Courtney Senior had a better game and made more forward runs with purpose and lost the ball less.

I also think that Stevenson and Comley are making a decent midfield pairing and it will be interesting when Lapslie and Pell are able to return. Pell must play and Stevenson also in my opinion, but we will wait and see because JM will have a dilemma.

Now JM is notorious at making late substitutions but yesterday he got the changes right.
The faithful had called for Theo Robinson and after 74 minutes JM obliged. But here was the surprise he took Gambin off thus allowing Nouble, Norris and Robinson to operate as a strike force of three albeit for a few minutes. Now after only 20 seconds on the field a lung bursting run from Courtney Senior led to a decent pass forward to Robinson but the ball went slightly too wide for a direct shot at goal, instead he was forced to spin and gather the ball before curling a superb shot which grazed the top of the bar before falling to Chuck who shot and hit the base of the post within seconds of the first strike. A second goal would have been thoroughly deserved and the faithful lapped it up.

Now I would have liked to have seen the front three seeing out the game, but JM opted to bring on Jevani Brown after 81 minutes for Chuck Norris and Paris Cowan-Hall after 86 minutes for Courtney Senior. The result was to see out the remaining minutes successfully and without incident.

At the full time whistle the players and JM came over to the faithful ensuring no repeat of the shambles at Grimsby. At last we are beginning to climb the table and the football is shaping up well.

I would like to see Theo Robinson start and he will probably do so against Gillingham on Tuesday night. He looks sharp and just the sort of striker that will complement our style of play whilst adding to the goals tally.

Bring on the Saddlers.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 1 Sep 2019 16:03]

Durham_exile

Super U's deservedly overcome resilient Latics at Boundary Park on 17:48 - Sep 1 with 396 viewsgerry_us

Peter; your travels beginning to bear fruit. Good omens for Mansfield and Scunny?
Super U's deservedly overcome resilient Latics at Boundary Park on 18:04 - Sep 1 with 392 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's deservedly overcome resilient Latics at Boundary Park on 17:48 - Sep 1 by gerry_us

Peter; your travels beginning to bear fruit. Good omens for Mansfield and Scunny?

Gerry the dates of 2nd November and 14th December are in the diary.

Walking in a Colu wonderland

Oh what fun it is to see Col u win away

Give us the league trophy now

Steady on, Editor!

UTU's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024