Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? 09:56 - Sep 5 with 6476 viewstkqpr

Interesting article - don't know if its been posted before?

https://www.theleaguepaper.com/featured/6294/where-are-the-now-qprs-second-divis
QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 10:50 - Sep 5 with 5377 viewscolinallcars

I don't remember Alan Comfort. Not many players end up being a vicar !
QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 10:56 - Sep 5 with 5371 viewsLunarJetman

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 10:50 - Sep 5 by colinallcars

According to Wikipedia he never actually played a league game for us so not surprised you don't remember him!

And he doesn't seem to mention his time with us either.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/opinion/columnists/mikeamos/backtrack/15264169
[Post edited 5 Sep 2019 11:07]
QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 11:22 - Sep 5 with 5320 viewsW7Ranger

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 11:26 - Sep 5 with 5318 viewsMick_S

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 11:22 - Sep 5 by W7Ranger

He's also a Connect 4 champion.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 11:33 - Sep 5 with 5300 viewsCamberleyR

I do. He's the same age as me and I came up against him in school matches and youth football (he came from down the road in Aldershot and played for Farnborough Town youth).

He was one of these that was a class above in schools and youth football and was a bit of a star player for the district and county. It was known he was on the books at QPR as a schoolboy and big things were predicted for him. It never happened for him at Rangers but he later had a decent lower league career with Cambridge and Leyton Orient.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 12:26 - Sep 5 with 5205 viewsW7Ranger

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 11:22 - Sep 5 by W7Ranger

Also loves to show off his Alan Shearer impression whenever he can.
QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 12:27 - Sep 5 with 5204 viewsMick_S

We used to be cursed - maybe he played a part in lifting it?

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 12:34 - Sep 5 with 5180 viewsDannyPaddox

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 11:33 - Sep 5 by CamberleyR

I do. He's the same age as me and I came up against him in school matches and youth football (he came from down the road in Aldershot and played for Farnborough Town youth).

He was one of these that was a class above in schools and youth football and was a bit of a star player for the district and county. It was known he was on the books at QPR as a schoolboy and big things were predicted for him. It never happened for him at Rangers but he later had a decent lower league career with Cambridge and Leyton Orient.

Obscure QPR players played against PT 2.

I played against Gary Cooper a few times at schools level in the early 80s. He later went on to play one league game for the Rs in 1985 stepping in for Micky Fillery (hairdressing appointment). Cooper also played a couple of Milk Cup games and came on as a sub against Reykjavik at Highbury in the UEFA Cup. So all in all he played for QPR in three different competitions and was never on the losing side. Obscure!? He’s a flippin club legend. I demand he be installed as a Forever R.

n.b. Not the same Gary Cooper who was nominated for an Oscar in High Noon.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2019 12:40]
Login to get fewer ads

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 12:43 - Sep 5 with 5152 viewsqprxtc

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 12:34 - Sep 5 by DannyPaddox

I played against Gary Cooper a few times at schools level in the early 80s. He later went on to play one league game for the Rs in 1985 stepping in for Micky Fillery (hairdressing appointment). Cooper also played a couple of Milk Cup games and came on as a sub against Reykjavik at Highbury in the UEFA Cup. So all in all he played for QPR in three different competitions and was never on the losing side. Obscure!? He’s a flippin club legend. I demand he be installed as a Forever R.

Super Duper Gary Cooper

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 13:04 - Sep 5 with 5112 viewsDannyPaddox

Gavin Peacock with Darren Peacock’s hair.
QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 14:16 - Sep 5 with 5013 viewsPBLOCK

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 12:34 - Sep 5 by DannyPaddox

When Cooper left QPR wasn’t there rumours of an incident between him and Paul Barron which led to his departure.

I’m sure someone has mentioned it before on here but not said what exactly happened
QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 14:34 - Sep 5 with 4990 viewsQPRSteve

We had both Gary Cooper and Doug McClure in the youth team at the same time,
QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 14:45 - Sep 5 with 4965 viewsBoston

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 14:34 - Sep 5 by QPRSteve

We had both Gary Cooper and Doug McClure in the youth team at the same time,

In the days of the Wild West12.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 14:54 - Sep 5 with 4953 viewsqprxtc

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 14:16 - Sep 5 by PBLOCK

When Cooper left QPR wasn’t there rumours of an incident between him and Paul Barron which led to his departure.

I’m sure someone has mentioned it before on here but not said what exactly happened

Wasn’t super duper supposed to be a bit light fingered in the dressing room.

Allegedly and not in a ooh matron way.
QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 15:00 - Sep 5 with 4939 viewsMick_S

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 14:54 - Sep 5 by qprxtc

John Wayne Fereday would have caught him.

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 15:06 - Sep 5 with 4918 viewsBoston

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 15:00 - Sep 5 by Mick_S

John Wayne Fereday would have caught him.

....what with the tache and the Kevin Ten Gallen hat.

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 15:09 - Sep 5 with 4912 viewsMick_S

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 15:06 - Sep 5 by Boston

....what with the tache and the Kevin Ten Gallen hat.

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 15:52 - Sep 5 with 4870 viewssmegma

He conducted the funerals of both my friends parents. He conducted his mums funeral as he was in the Diocese. Then about 5 years later when his dad went, he had left the parish but my mate contacted him and he agreed to bury his father. Both of them were Arsenal season ticket holders when they passed and he had a soft spot for football fans apparently.
QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? (n/t) on 16:10 - Sep 5 with 4838 viewsW7Ranger

[Post edited 5 Sep 2019 16:11]
QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 17:26 - Sep 5 with 4707 viewsstainrods_elbow

He doesn't like marrying gay people though, apparently.

(Not literally marrying them himself, blessing them in holy matrimony, I mean.)

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gay-couple-call-vicar-step-11722403

He did say they could take their business elsewhere, but I'd call that 'cold Comfort' . . .

I'll get me coat.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 20:07 - Sep 5 with 4571 viewsEsox_Lucius

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 14:54 - Sep 5 by qprxtc

Long story short; Barron accused Cooper of stealing jewellery, money and an expensive watch from the changing rooms. Cooper is summarily dismissed and fails to get a decent job in football for many years , effectively ending his career. It later transpires that the theft was an insurance scam by Barron to get money for a Brazilian friend to have a sex change operation. I have been racking my brains to remember who told me that and to the best of my knowledge it was Alan McDonald who I used to see quite a lot away from Loftus Road, mainly at Yeading, and I used to park next to him on the White City and walk in with him a lot.
Peter Hucker and Terry Fenwick are members on a FB QPR page and may have a much better recollection of this than I have.

The grass is always greener.

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 21:19 - Sep 5 with 4483 viewsCamberleyR

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 11:26 - Sep 5 by Mick_S

He's also a Connect 4 champion.

The first reply to this tweet by our erstwhile midfielder is the best twitter reply ever

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 21:28 - Sep 5 with 4473 viewsBoston

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 20:07 - Sep 5 by Esox_Lucius

Long story short; Barron accused Cooper of stealing jewellery, money and an expensive watch from the changing rooms. Cooper is summarily dismissed and fails to get a decent job in football for many years , effectively ending his career. It later transpires that the theft was an insurance scam by Barron to get money for a Brazilian friend to have a sex change operation. I have been racking my brains to remember who told me that and to the best of my knowledge it was Alan McDonald who I used to see quite a lot away from Loftus Road, mainly at Yeading, and I used to park next to him on the White City and walk in with him a lot.
Peter Hucker and Terry Fenwick are members on a FB QPR page and may have a much better recollection of this than I have.

You can't make this sort of stuff up!

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 13:16 - Sep 6 with 4172 viewsPeterHucker

QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 21:19 - Sep 5 by CamberleyR

The first reply to this tweet by our erstwhile midfielder is the best twitter reply ever

You can if you open 2 browser windows side by side.
QPR - 1982/83 Squad - Where are they now? on 13:21 - Sep 6 with 4165 viewsPeterHucker

Ian Gillard top bloke. Met him quite a few times when he was at Aldershot because my dad's mate was also on the coaching staff there.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024