Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? 22:04 - Sep 19 with 3362 viewsnoah4x4

Colchester & EE win SNEL Essex Division One and promotion.

Essex look favourites for the title in the County Championship given post hurricane rain will wash out Taunton and we are currently 12 points clear.

Essex in T20 Finals (I have tickets - will watch U’s on I-Follow later).

Has the local cricket season ever ended on a better high?

Will be at Spurs and on the bus to Macclesfield, but cricket is still top of my agenda.

Anybody else heading for Edgbaston?

[Post edited 19 Sep 2019 22:05]
What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 22:19 - Sep 19 with 1686 viewsgerry_us

In spirit Noah. Will ignore footy from 2.30 til 5.00 and then hopefully for the evening final as well.
Essex v Somerset on Sky next week so will definitely be watching four days or probably three given the spinner's wicket at Taunton. If we play as we have all season I can't see Zummerzet beating us and a draw / washout will do. Would however like to end with a win and with the three best home grown quickies around, a knight of the realm at the helm and the best spinner on the planet where can we go wrong?
Oh..have U's got a match Saturday or next week?
What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 23:38 - Sep 19 with 1678 viewsnoah4x4

Unbeaten at fortress CloudFM Gerry, but away less convincing. Rain for two days will probably be our best friend.

Whilst this match is on Sky TV those that don't have it can usually watch all Essex games live on the club website "Match Centre". Similarly, you can watch Colchester games live on the club's Play Cricket website . Both are free.
What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 23:48 - Sep 19 with 1675 viewsmfb_cufc

Essex are a very generous 3/1 to win the T20. Derbyshire are not to be underestimated, but they couldn't be asking for an easier opponent for a semi-final.

Essex are a not so generous 3/10 to win the Championship. This price is based completely on the bad weather forecast because if they were guaranteed four full days play it would be 10/11 both teams, as it would become a winner takes all game.

In answer to the thread title it is 4.2/1 for Essex to get the double.

mfb

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 23:56 - Sep 19 with 1673 viewsmfb_cufc

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 23:38 - Sep 19 by noah4x4

Unbeaten at fortress CloudFM Gerry, but away less convincing. Rain for two days will probably be our best friend.

Whilst this match is on Sky TV those that don't have it can usually watch all Essex games live on the club website "Match Centre". Similarly, you can watch Colchester games live on the club's Play Cricket website . Both are free.

I have been watching the recent games on the "Match Centre", which as you say noah is free. The coverage is good as you also get the BBC Essex commentary, but the only drawback is the camera is solely on wicket to wicket only, so once the ball is off the square you don't know what has happened.

mfb

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 13:41 - Sep 20 with 1636 viewsMoor_Pinot

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 23:56 - Sep 19 by mfb_cufc

I have been watching the recent games on the "Match Centre", which as you say noah is free. The coverage is good as you also get the BBC Essex commentary, but the only drawback is the camera is solely on wicket to wicket only, so once the ball is off the square you don't know what has happened.

Essex are County Champions Mick. Don't worry. They slaughtered Surrey to underline their strengths. All-round strengths and a balanced team with experience and test ability. Somerset possess none of those things. The one test class batsman they have has never been chosen and is having a poor season like all their batters.

Having lived more than half my life away from Essex much of it within 6 miles of the County ground I have watched Essex at Chelmsford just 4 times and Somerset at Taunton more than 400. I can be forgiven for hoping they prevail altho' as an Essex chap I shall not mind one bit when they win the title again so soon after 2017. The thing is Essex are a substantially better team. They have many more good and experienced players and have better management. They also have a unique aid, namely that they have done it before.

Somerset came into the County Championship in 1875 and have never won it. I suspect that neither they nor Northants ever will now. When I lived there I lost count of the number of people who used to say "all I hope is that I live long enough to see them win the title". I often think of these people now that I have been 12 years away from Somerset. Many will have passed away, many are still waiting. They will have endured coming second to Notts in 2010 when points were level, second again I think in 2016 and second last year. BUT they are not good enough by a long way. I too have watched on "Match Centre" Mick and it can be a bit frustrating but I have not missed a day of Somerset's season so I saw them completely thrashed at Chelmsford, slaughtered at Headingly and then Abbotted this week at Southampton. They've lost 3 of their last 5 games as the tension of expectation grew and they are too inexperienced and too young to handle it all. Make no mistake, without Abbott Hampshire would still have won. Two of their side scored 100s. Only 4 Somerset players have score a 100 this year and nobody averages more than 31. There are 6 or 7 players under 25 and four who are 20. A team of boys. At times they have looked completely inadequate and overwhelmed - they were even lucky to beat Notts at Taunton. They have been rescued every game by their bowling attack, which is decent but not by any means dominant. They do not bowl straight enough. Jamie Overton is as quick as Wood or Archer but expensive. I also thought that both Porter and Beard looked much quicker than Overton at Chelmsford anyway The spin bowlers are OK but after being rejected by England last year after two 50s and several wickets Bess has been a shadow and has rarely played and was loaned out. Leach now plays for England so I don't know if he will play next week. Bess is injured now anyway I think. They field well, try very very hard but have an inexperienced captain and there is no 'old hand' around to guide. Marcus lost his place after 85 runs in 11 knocks. The balance of Essex' team is so enormously better that I not only know they've won the title but I suspect they will win at Taunton too if the weather permits. Somerset have one class batsman, but he's a walking lbw with just three 50s all year. There is no overseas player worthy of the name and after asking Azhar Ali to step down after two 50s in 20 innings Murali Vijay has scored 7, 0, 0 and 29!

So this season they have over-performed and all credit to them for doing so. But it has given their massive support yet more unreal expectation. That pressure over the years does no good. Fundamentally, they don't know how to win because they never have and they have a management structure with no batting coach and with one manager [Kerr] who played just a few games for Somerset when I first lived there then played club and second XI cricket and a director of cricket [Hurry] who has never played it. Last week they also sacked their chief executive. They are a lovely cricket club but the membership are ever so unrealistic, terribly rose-tinted and now...very long suffering. After all, Mick, when they had Viv, Joel, Botham, Rose and Denning - all much better players than anyone there now, they never came close to the County Championship!

So, don't worry, Essex only need a boring draw and the rain and Somerset's wounds are deep after the last few weeks and they're not quite good enough.

Splendid ground though, excellent food bars and lots of real ale, nice backdrops, a pleasant place to play and watch. They won the 50 over thing anyway and I think they'll have to make do with that. Maybe I'll be wrong. Maybe Senior will play well tomorrow, Maybe McGreal will learn motivational skills and we'll win 5-0. All maybes.

Moor Pinot

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 16:17 - Sep 20 with 1630 viewsburnsieespana

I was at Chelmsford when Essex beat Kent totally I felt against the odds. Until then we had been nowhere in the T20 partly due to having more rain effected games than anybody else.
We seem to have peaked at the right time after beating Lancashire which again seemed against the odds given how Lancashire had blown everybody else away.
Does seem at the moment whatever Ravi B does in the T20 turns to gold so here is hoping we finally win a finals day at the third time of asking.
Having followed Essex since the days of Ken Preston and Roy Ralph I have been very lucky to see some magnificent performances over the year's
As regards the County Championship, we have struggled until recent games for runs with the bowlers keeping us in contention. Do wonder if Peter Siddle will be back for the last game as, until called up for Australia had had a good season.
Good to see both Cook and Beard come through this year.
What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 17:05 - Sep 20 with 1624 viewsLeadbelly

Saw Essex in the T20 at Lords and the Oval this season. Beaten comprehensively by Middlesex but won well at Surrey. Still surprised we have made it to finals day but as BE says, if Ravi is on his game we could win it.

Can’t see us slipping up at Taunton, especially as rain is forecast all four days.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 18:35 - Sep 20 with 1614 viewsMoor_Pinot

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 17:05 - Sep 20 by Leadbelly

Saw Essex in the T20 at Lords and the Oval this season. Beaten comprehensively by Middlesex but won well at Surrey. Still surprised we have made it to finals day but as BE says, if Ravi is on his game we could win it.

Can’t see us slipping up at Taunton, especially as rain is forecast all four days.

As I sat Whalers, there's nothing to slip over on at Taunton. Essex are county champions again.

Moor Pinot

Login to get fewer ads

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 21:29 - Sep 20 with 1599 viewsGOSBTS

Attended my first ever Essex T20 match in August...only to sit there for an hour and it be rained off! At that moment Sussex seemed destined for finals day and Essex had hardly a hope. Can't believe how the fortunes have turned round, but very pleased for Essex even if my Sussex didn't make it. Sadly I can't watch any sporting event tomorrow as I have two parties to attend, but really hope Essex win!
What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 00:15 - Sep 21 with 1589 viewsmfb_cufc

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 13:41 - Sep 20 by Moor_Pinot

Essex are County Champions Mick. Don't worry. They slaughtered Surrey to underline their strengths. All-round strengths and a balanced team with experience and test ability. Somerset possess none of those things. The one test class batsman they have has never been chosen and is having a poor season like all their batters.

Having lived more than half my life away from Essex much of it within 6 miles of the County ground I have watched Essex at Chelmsford just 4 times and Somerset at Taunton more than 400. I can be forgiven for hoping they prevail altho' as an Essex chap I shall not mind one bit when they win the title again so soon after 2017. The thing is Essex are a substantially better team. They have many more good and experienced players and have better management. They also have a unique aid, namely that they have done it before.

Somerset came into the County Championship in 1875 and have never won it. I suspect that neither they nor Northants ever will now. When I lived there I lost count of the number of people who used to say "all I hope is that I live long enough to see them win the title". I often think of these people now that I have been 12 years away from Somerset. Many will have passed away, many are still waiting. They will have endured coming second to Notts in 2010 when points were level, second again I think in 2016 and second last year. BUT they are not good enough by a long way. I too have watched on "Match Centre" Mick and it can be a bit frustrating but I have not missed a day of Somerset's season so I saw them completely thrashed at Chelmsford, slaughtered at Headingly and then Abbotted this week at Southampton. They've lost 3 of their last 5 games as the tension of expectation grew and they are too inexperienced and too young to handle it all. Make no mistake, without Abbott Hampshire would still have won. Two of their side scored 100s. Only 4 Somerset players have score a 100 this year and nobody averages more than 31. There are 6 or 7 players under 25 and four who are 20. A team of boys. At times they have looked completely inadequate and overwhelmed - they were even lucky to beat Notts at Taunton. They have been rescued every game by their bowling attack, which is decent but not by any means dominant. They do not bowl straight enough. Jamie Overton is as quick as Wood or Archer but expensive. I also thought that both Porter and Beard looked much quicker than Overton at Chelmsford anyway The spin bowlers are OK but after being rejected by England last year after two 50s and several wickets Bess has been a shadow and has rarely played and was loaned out. Leach now plays for England so I don't know if he will play next week. Bess is injured now anyway I think. They field well, try very very hard but have an inexperienced captain and there is no 'old hand' around to guide. Marcus lost his place after 85 runs in 11 knocks. The balance of Essex' team is so enormously better that I not only know they've won the title but I suspect they will win at Taunton too if the weather permits. Somerset have one class batsman, but he's a walking lbw with just three 50s all year. There is no overseas player worthy of the name and after asking Azhar Ali to step down after two 50s in 20 innings Murali Vijay has scored 7, 0, 0 and 29!

So this season they have over-performed and all credit to them for doing so. But it has given their massive support yet more unreal expectation. That pressure over the years does no good. Fundamentally, they don't know how to win because they never have and they have a management structure with no batting coach and with one manager [Kerr] who played just a few games for Somerset when I first lived there then played club and second XI cricket and a director of cricket [Hurry] who has never played it. Last week they also sacked their chief executive. They are a lovely cricket club but the membership are ever so unrealistic, terribly rose-tinted and now...very long suffering. After all, Mick, when they had Viv, Joel, Botham, Rose and Denning - all much better players than anyone there now, they never came close to the County Championship!

So, don't worry, Essex only need a boring draw and the rain and Somerset's wounds are deep after the last few weeks and they're not quite good enough.

Splendid ground though, excellent food bars and lots of real ale, nice backdrops, a pleasant place to play and watch. They won the 50 over thing anyway and I think they'll have to make do with that. Maybe I'll be wrong. Maybe Senior will play well tomorrow, Maybe McGreal will learn motivational skills and we'll win 5-0. All maybes.

I have no doubts about Essex being Champions Pinault, thanks entirely to the weather forecast. Essex are now 2/7 to be champions, and I think that is worth a £700 bet. If they were guaranteed to have four days full play I wouldn't be so confident. I went to the game at Taunton last season, and Essex had a good chance to get a victory from the jaws of defeat, but they couldn't cope with Leach. Leach is definitely playing for Somerset, and Siddle wont be playing for Essex. I agree with what you say about the Somerset batting line up. If they were to be Champions, it would be with the worst batting line up in the history of the competition.. Having said that the Essex batters have under performed for most of the season, but they do have to deal with bowler friendly wickets at Chelmsford.
Just seen the weather forecast for next week, and there is no way they will get much play, if any, if it is correct. So go and have some of that 2/7 and make a 28% return on your money.

Before that game there is a T20 competition to win, and I think 3/1 is a good value bet. After not looking likely to qualify for the quarter-finals for the whole of the Group stages, they have come good at the right time, and must have every chance of winning it now.

mfb

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 14:35 - Sep 21 with 1560 viewsgerry_us

Hope our semi is not as close as the first!
What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 15:10 - Sep 21 with 1558 viewsLeadbelly

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 14:35 - Sep 21 by gerry_us

Hope our semi is not as close as the first!

Me too. Essex have started well though.

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 17:02 - Sep 21 with 1546 viewsgerry_us

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 15:10 - Sep 21 by Leadbelly

Me too. Essex have started well though.

Almost there...looking forward to an evening's cricket.
Could be a Saturday double.
What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 17:10 - Sep 21 with 1545 viewsLeadbelly

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 17:02 - Sep 21 by gerry_us

Almost there...looking forward to an evening's cricket.
Could be a Saturday double.

Indeed. Superb bowling by Essex, especially Harmer and Nijjar.

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 21:37 - Sep 21 with 1532 viewsgerry_us

WOWWWW
Now for the Championship
What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 21:42 - Sep 21 with 1529 viewsLeadbelly

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 21:37 - Sep 21 by gerry_us

WOWWWW
Now for the Championship

Ravi was ice cool and how about Harmer? What a final over! Never in doubt!!

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 22:08 - Sep 21 with 1524 viewsburnsieespana

Considering where we were in early August a fantastic performance. We'll done to all and what about Nijar coming after not playing for the first team for two years!
So two down with two to go next week!
What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 23:38 - Sep 21 with 1506 viewsGOSBTS

What a fantastic day for the county! As a new Essex fan I am pleased but for you long-timers/natives you must be over the moon!
What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 00:20 - Sep 22 with 1501 viewsnoah4x4

Just got back to hotel from Edgbaston. Gone midnight, Birmingham teeming with Essex fans. What a day. What a final! U’s won too!
What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 10:32 - Sep 22 with 1458 viewsnoah4x4

Time to reflect on an outstanding day. The (group) fancy dress was amazing. My order of merit;

1. Mexicans joined together by a fabric wall being chased by baby Trump.
2. Pope with multiple Cardinals. Nuns in separate group - celibacy respected.
3. Beekeepers chased by bees.
4. Fox chased by red jacketed toffs with hound.
5. Her Majesty with a dozen bearskin wearing guardsmen.

Others included the usual crop of Romans, Rugby Players (is the World Cup soon?), Nurses, French Maids, Brittany Spears, Postmen (or were they all just pistmen?). Jimmy Hendrix lookalikes, Smurfs, TeleTubbies, Jimmi Savilles (who fortunately didn’t join in the chase you around Hollis Stand, races), Scoobie Doos, Jockeys etc.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2019 10:44]
What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 11:34 - Sep 22 with 1447 viewsbwildered

Noah lookalike in the Essex supporters with four overs of the final to go popped up on Sky !

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 12:11 - Sep 22 with 1446 viewsgerry_us

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 11:34 - Sep 22 by bwildered

Noah lookalike in the Essex supporters with four overs of the final to go popped up on Sky !

There is no Noah lookalike!
There's only one NOAH and I'm sure that was him.
What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 13:12 - Sep 22 with 1439 viewsbwildered

Or perhaps was it a cardboard cutout, like Amir and Zampa !

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 16:33 - Sep 22 with 1419 viewsnoah4x4

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 11:34 - Sep 22 by bwildered

Having watched catch up TV, can confirm that the Edgbaston Big Screen Snog-Cam, Snooze-Cam and Oblivous-Cam thankfully missed me and the missus, but regular Sky TV didn’t.

By coincidence, my ECB sourced (front row) tickets had put us two rows in front of some Frinton CC pals so we had a block of conspicuous (noisy) “Essex” in one place, albeit they were dressed as Crusade Knights. Elsewhere, Essex fans were somewhat lost amid 21000 others or stuck ridiculously high up so we were the perhaps amongst the few at ground level. The allocation to the finalists remains modest (750), but after our victory, the Stadium rapidly emptied leaving only Essex fans celebrating the Trophy presentation and we swarmed into block 38 lower. It took a ridiculous amount of time to assemble the sponsors stage/podium. But we celebrated with vigour. Sensational days cricket. Just a shame I missed the Orient game.
What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 10:58 - Sep 23 with 1385 viewsgerry_us

Great start to the Zummezet game.
Little Chef 2 wickets for 0 runs. Brill
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024