Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots 10:11 - Sep 27 with 1008 viewsdurham_exile

After the total elation, ecstasy and excitement of Tuesday night, JM takes his heroes to Moss Rose Macclesfield on Saturday to take on Daryl McMahon’s Silkmen.

Make no mistake the U’s are in uncharted waters. It is 44 years since that famous League Cup game against Aston Villa and many of the U’s faithful were not even born then. But everyone knows however attractive and financially rewarding a cup run is, we have got to achieve promotion this season. So, forget about two visits to Crawley in October (one in the league) and focus on three points in Cheshire tomorrow.

The players are on a total high at present, but they must prepare to go toe to toe with Macclesfield who recently drew 1-1 with Newport and defeated Orient 3-0. Make no mistake they will not be rolling over just because the U’s giantkillers are in Town. Having said that we should be too strong for them and let us hope that the heavy rain forecast last evening and today will not produce problems for the surface.

I have my ticket for the match and remember that the last time I went to the Moss Rose stadium was in 1992 for a Conference Game when we drew 4-4 in an absolute classic. I do not expect 8 goals tomorrow, but a Col U win is my prediction with another clean sheet perhaps.

JM has another selection dilemma; long term injuries Harry Pell and Callum Harriott remain side-lined and Ryan Jackson should not be risked after his hamstring tweak on Tuesday. Paris Cowan-Hall proved an inspired substitution and should start at full back.

Kwame Poku should not be risked; he has a calf injury and must be fully fit before he can be considered. I was so disappointed that he couldn’t start against Spurs but did not know he was injured against Orient.

The defence otherwise should remain unchanged and then JM must decide what to do in midfield. Stevenson, Lapslie and Comley (who is playing his best football this season) could continue but that leaves limited places for Senior, Gambin, Brown plus the strikers.

Jevani Brown must set aside his penalty nonsense and start to repay the faith and money that Colchester shelled out for him and start to operate as a proper number 10. Luke Gambin struggled to get into the game on Tuesday but in fairness he was up against some of the premier league’s best midfield players.

I reckon that JM will go with Senior, Comley and Lapslie dropping Ben Stevenson and Gambin to the bench.

That leaves birthday boy 28-year-old Frank Nouble who has played every minute of every league game and who led the line brilliantly on Tuesday. Does JM rest him by dropping him to the bench and recall Chuck Norris who looked as though he had been fed a large T-bone steak extra rare on Tuesday when he came on, the frustration was there for all to see and having scored his penalty he showed real raw emotion looking like a caged beast in the back of the net.

Theo Robinson and Brendan Wiredu, who were both cup tied on Tuesday are also players that JM will be looking at. Therefore, I reckon JM will go for the following:

Gerken

Cowan-Hall Eastman Prosser Bramall

Senior Lapslie Comley

Brown

Norris Robinson

Subs:
Ross Sowunmi Gambin Chilvers Stevenson Nouble Wiredu

I believe that Big Frank will benefit from a rest, he has done nothing wrong, but JM has a squad and must employ it especially as we could be playing closer to 60 games this season in all competitions.

I include Brown because he must step up to the plate and start to repay the faith shown in him.

Some time during October Harry Pell and Callum Harriott will be available for selection and that will create an embarrassment of midfield riches. More of that when we cross that very large bridge.

The table is looking better, and we must now break into that top seven:

Exeter 10 22
Crewe 10 21
Cheltenham 10 20
Swindon 10 20
FGR 10 18
Bradford 10 17
Newport 10 17
Crawley 10 16
Grimsby 10 15
COL U 10 15

Macclesfield 10 12

There are, in my opinion, some surprise teams in the top seven, Crewe, Cheltenham and FGR but Bradford is a sleeping giant and despite my dislike for them (mainly due to the manager) Newport will be there or thereabouts.

Macclesfield weather will be 14 degrees Celsius and light rain. The pitch could be greasy.

Before I forget, a big shout out to David Blacknall and the Colchester ground staff for preparing such an immaculate surface for Tuesday, especially after the rain. The pitch helps the pacy style of play and rarely cuts up.

For those travelling to Macclesfield allow extra time because the M6 is undergoing work from 13 to 16 for upgrade to smart motorway status and there is a 50-mph limit. I will be travelling south and hopefully the motorway will behave itself.

Safe journey enjoy the match and Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 11:00 - Sep 27 with 998 viewsMoor_Pinot

Comprehensive & uplifting Durham.

McGreal will play Nouble, he cannot see past the bloke - Frank's a bit off form the last 4 or 5 games which also happened in the 2018-19 season. Robinson will be on the bench I reckon and Brown has done nothing to deserve selection. Thus, I think Wiredu will start this time. Chilvers and Gambin deserve some game time whilst Stevenson deserves to sit and watch and remember how he was when he first came to us. We miss Pell's motivation and presence, altho' he's not a spectacular footballer - too many mistakes - I hope he's back soon but the man we'll miss most tomorrow is Jackson.
It may rain, the U's are softies in the rain, so I can see it being a close match, my fingers are crossed that you'll see a proper win!
Up the U's

Moor Pinot

Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 10:20 - Sep 28 with 936 viewsGOSBTS

Fear that after the monumental effort of Tuesday night that the U’s may fall short in this one. However, we have a very few squad and like you say Durham, rotating some players may prove beneficial. Indeed, it’s been McGreal’s willingness to do this the past two weeks which has paid dividends.

Hope it’s the 3 points for you and the travelling faithful! I shall be following on Final Score, keeping my powder dry for Stevenage next Saturday. Am off to see Brighton ladies take on Arsenal ladies tomorrow. Up the U’s!
[Post edited 28 Sep 2019 10:21]
Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 10:52 - Sep 28 with 926 viewsgerry_us

Spurs Tuesday.
Macclesfield Saturday.
A worrying conundrum that may be beyond McG's comprehension.
Hopefully the guys can cope with it even if the manager is a bit bewildered.
Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 11:28 - Sep 28 with 922 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 10:20 - Sep 28 by GOSBTS

Fear that after the monumental effort of Tuesday night that the U’s may fall short in this one. However, we have a very few squad and like you say Durham, rotating some players may prove beneficial. Indeed, it’s been McGreal’s willingness to do this the past two weeks which has paid dividends.

Hope it’s the 3 points for you and the travelling faithful! I shall be following on Final Score, keeping my powder dry for Stevenage next Saturday. Am off to see Brighton ladies take on Arsenal ladies tomorrow. Up the U’s!
[Post edited 28 Sep 2019 10:21]

After the Lord Mayor's show? Me too, hopefully with a bit of squad rotation my fears will be unfounded.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 13:03 - Sep 28 with 907 viewsGOSBTS

Oops, my phone autocorrected deep to few - I meant to say we have a deep squad!
Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 14:36 - Sep 28 with 891 viewsdurham_exile

Last here in 1992
Looks unchanged
Very friendly welcome from admission refreshments and programme seller
All congratulating the team on the Spurs victory
Looks like JM is playing three at the back today
Chuck Norris on bench
Looking forward to the game
Three more vital points
UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 14:40 - Sep 28 with 890 viewsdurham_exile

Warm showery then bright sunshine bizarre
Pitch ok

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 14:43 - Sep 28 with 888 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 14:40 - Sep 28 by durham_exile

Warm showery then bright sunshine bizarre
Pitch ok

UTU's

Team update JM playing
Eastman Sowunmi Prosser Cohen as the back 4

No Jackson or Poku

Kick off coming soon

UTU's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 15:22 - Sep 28 with 866 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 14:43 - Sep 28 by durham_exile

Team update JM playing
Eastman Sowunmi Prosser Cohen as the back 4

No Jackson or Poku

Kick off coming soon

UTU's

Back to reality then. All to do now. At least we won't go all defensive....will we?
Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 15:46 - Sep 28 with 853 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 15:22 - Sep 28 by gerry_us

Back to reality then. All to do now. At least we won't go all defensive....will we?

We feared this Gerry. We're not very cohesive or urgent. Changes needed fast.

Moor Pinot

Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 15:49 - Sep 28 with 850 viewswessex_exile

Back in it, Robinson equalises!!

Come on Col U!!

Up the U's

Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 15:52 - Sep 28 with 848 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 15:49 - Sep 28 by wessex_exile

Back in it, Robinson equalises!!

Come on Col U!!

Only one winner now
Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 16:57 - Sep 28 with 822 viewswessex_exile

Finished 1-1. Macclesfield easily the better side first half, and will consider themselves unlucky to go in at half-time level. Second half far better from the U's, but without too many clear cut chances to win it. Personally, after a physically and emotionally draining mid-week match, I think getting a point at Macclesfield isn't too bad. Bring on Stevenage.

Up the U's!

Up the U's

Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 16:59 - Sep 28 with 820 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 16:57 - Sep 28 by wessex_exile

Finished 1-1. Macclesfield easily the better side first half, and will consider themselves unlucky to go in at half-time level. Second half far better from the U's, but without too many clear cut chances to win it. Personally, after a physically and emotionally draining mid-week match, I think getting a point at Macclesfield isn't too bad. Bring on Stevenage.

Up the U's!

Disappointing but could have been worse. At the moment with a few results to come in we have moved UP the table!
Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 17:00 - Sep 28 with 819 viewsGOSBTS

Like Wessex said, great point after such a full on couple of weeks. What I’m liking is the U’s resilience recently. Last year it seemed that the moment we conceded the wheels would come off. Not so this year. Well done McGreal and co.

Up the U’s!
Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 17:08 - Sep 28 with 812 viewsnoah4x4

Awful referee.

U's appalling in final third.

But will take a point.
Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 20:06 - Sep 28 with 767 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 17:08 - Sep 28 by noah4x4

Awful referee.

U's appalling in final third.

But will take a point.

Back home at 1935hrs
Decent journeys M6 was ok.
Will pen some thoughts tomorrow.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 21:00 - Sep 28 with 747 viewsmfb_cufc

We never win after going behind, so a draw has to be considered a good result in the circumstances.

mfb

Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 21:12 - Sep 28 with 742 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to tie the Silkmen up in elaborate knots on 21:00 - Sep 28 by mfb_cufc

We never win after going behind, so a draw has to be considered a good result in the circumstances.

Nope, he's never worked out how to do it has he Mick. Inevitable that the best we could do is draw. Small mercies. Formation was even less creative than usual but Macc were well versed on how we play. Half time score flattering to the U's.

Moor Pinot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024