Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Hundred 17:24 - Oct 1 with 4948 viewsLeadbelly

Apologies for another cricket thread but I know there are a few of us interested!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/49716478

Since I first heard about this new competition I really did wonder why cricket needed to provide something for those who can't concentrate on one thing for roughly three hours. Having now read the details, link above, it sounds very much like a load of old bo11ocks to me.

I support Essex and England so have no affiliation to a north London franchise or, indeed, any other. I doubt very much I shall be watching but would be interested to hear what others may think.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

The Hundred on 18:22 - Oct 1 with 2703 viewseagledares

Don't like the sound of this comp, have got used to 20-20 even though i still don't see it as proper cricket. what next a one over shoot out.
The Hundred on 19:07 - Oct 1 with 2695 viewsgerry_us

You are totally correct LB, total and utter bollocks (there I said it!)
They need to understand that "proper" cricket is played over 4 or 5 days. We have enough short form of cricket and don't need anymore. 20/20 is basically a money spinner which enables counties to survive. As not every county is involved in the new competition will they still get a cut of revenue? Pity also that the teams will be heavily in favour of international players and not home grown talent. Plaudits should be to Essex for the number of home grown talent now forming the bulk of the team.
The Championship is being made a mockery by squeezing all games in April,May and September meaning you can actually win the championship if you get lucky / unlucky with the weather.
I for one wont be watching to 100's.
The Hundred on 19:40 - Oct 1 with 2689 viewsburnsieespana

Nor will I as not required and rather like the Premiership most of the money generated will go out of the game to various so called international cricketers who have little or no interest in the longer game.
The Hundred on 19:51 - Oct 1 with 2684 viewsnoah4x4

Essex CCC/Chelmsford will play no direct part in the Men’s competition albeit its players might be drafted into the ‘London Spirit’ and ‘Oval Invincibles’ franchises located at Lords/Oval.

My personal view is that it is ridiculous that the City hosting the current county champions/T20 kings is excluded. But we do have to be realistic about Chelmsford capacity, but perhaps we might have played at the Olympic Stadium. However, I don’t see what was wrong with the current T20 format that lasts 75 minutes per innings? Why does it have to be 60 minutes per innings (100 balls)? The answer is, of course, all about TV and money.

On 26th April 2017 38 members of ECB steam-rollered this through despite concerns expressed by Essex, Middlesex (which does not own its own ground) and Kent (which didn’t vote). Surrey and Sussex were also reportedly against the change (source BBC). The professional cricketers association was inevitably in favour as it should lead to greater player reward. But I wonder, will that be sustainable over the longer haul?

Chelmsford/CloudFM will host merely a few women’s 100 fixtures over this period. However, my understanding is that Counties that do not host men’s 100 fixtures will receive compensation of circa £1.3m. This significant boost to revenue is clearly welcome, but what about the feelings of fans that regularly attend Chelmsford, Canterbury, Northampton, Hove etc etc? How long before the bigger Cities cherry pick our players on a longer term basis?

When interviewed at the T20 Final Simon Harmer twice mentioned Essex having ‘small club mentality’. Frankly, I have no idea what he was referring to. Essex success and culture is evidently not that of a small club having won Division One twice in three years. The issue I see is simply that Chelmsford has low capacity and local population catchment limitations means we can only fill that for T20.

The economics DO strongly favour this tournament. In cash terms, it should benefit Essex and its players. But is it what Essex fans really wanted? I doubt it. The next question is, will it bring in a NEW broadcast audience or simply attract the old, but at merely eight concentrated venues? I fear that if the broadcasters don’t quickly achieve their audience and advertiser goals, a risk is that a short term cash gain might lead to longer term demise of the game? The broadcasters have been wonderful for the game, but might there be a reversal if they don’t see the colour of fans money?

It will be fascinating to see if supporters of Essex, Kent, Sussex, Northants etc buy into this tournament, or will it be like another EFL Trophy, disliked and not supported? If it doesn’t attract a NEW and greater audience than T20, I foresee challenges ahead.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 20:20]
The Hundred on 20:52 - Oct 1 with 2671 viewsLeadbelly

The Hundred on 19:51 - Oct 1 by noah4x4

Essex CCC/Chelmsford will play no direct part in the Men’s competition albeit its players might be drafted into the ‘London Spirit’ and ‘Oval Invincibles’ franchises located at Lords/Oval.

My personal view is that it is ridiculous that the City hosting the current county champions/T20 kings is excluded. But we do have to be realistic about Chelmsford capacity, but perhaps we might have played at the Olympic Stadium. However, I don’t see what was wrong with the current T20 format that lasts 75 minutes per innings? Why does it have to be 60 minutes per innings (100 balls)? The answer is, of course, all about TV and money.

On 26th April 2017 38 members of ECB steam-rollered this through despite concerns expressed by Essex, Middlesex (which does not own its own ground) and Kent (which didn’t vote). Surrey and Sussex were also reportedly against the change (source BBC). The professional cricketers association was inevitably in favour as it should lead to greater player reward. But I wonder, will that be sustainable over the longer haul?

Chelmsford/CloudFM will host merely a few women’s 100 fixtures over this period. However, my understanding is that Counties that do not host men’s 100 fixtures will receive compensation of circa £1.3m. This significant boost to revenue is clearly welcome, but what about the feelings of fans that regularly attend Chelmsford, Canterbury, Northampton, Hove etc etc? How long before the bigger Cities cherry pick our players on a longer term basis?

When interviewed at the T20 Final Simon Harmer twice mentioned Essex having ‘small club mentality’. Frankly, I have no idea what he was referring to. Essex success and culture is evidently not that of a small club having won Division One twice in three years. The issue I see is simply that Chelmsford has low capacity and local population catchment limitations means we can only fill that for T20.

The economics DO strongly favour this tournament. In cash terms, it should benefit Essex and its players. But is it what Essex fans really wanted? I doubt it. The next question is, will it bring in a NEW broadcast audience or simply attract the old, but at merely eight concentrated venues? I fear that if the broadcasters don’t quickly achieve their audience and advertiser goals, a risk is that a short term cash gain might lead to longer term demise of the game? The broadcasters have been wonderful for the game, but might there be a reversal if they don’t see the colour of fans money?

It will be fascinating to see if supporters of Essex, Kent, Sussex, Northants etc buy into this tournament, or will it be like another EFL Trophy, disliked and not supported? If it doesn’t attract a NEW and greater audience than T20, I foresee challenges ahead.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 20:20]

After the T20 final Harmer’s comments about Essex were aimed at those outside the county believing we are a small club rather than Essex itself having a small club mentality. We don’t because we’re not!

The Hundred on 21:33 - Oct 1 with 2668 viewsFruitbat

I can barely muster an interest in T20 despite Essex winning it so when it comes to the hundred I'm very much in the "bollocks" camp. Made up teams playing a pointless game. Really not interested.
The Hundred on 21:46 - Oct 1 with 2666 viewsnoah4x4

The Hundred on 20:52 - Oct 1 by Leadbelly

After the T20 final Harmer’s comments about Essex were aimed at those outside the county believing we are a small club rather than Essex itself having a small club mentality. We don’t because we’re not!

I hope that is so Lead’. I genuinely don’t know what he meant. It was a strange comment to make repeat and others might interpret this differently.

I was simply trying to offer a very personal, but reasonably informed perspective of the benefits and risks of the ‘Hundred’ as I see them. In economic terms the Hundred is clearly good for English cricket , at least in the short term - including for Counties like Essex that will get compensation for not playing (£1.3M is the number I read). But I do fear this could lead to a gravitation of star players to the big City franchises for competitions beyond the ‘Hundred’.

How can Essex ever generate enough revenue to compete with the wages potentially possible at big City venues that benefit from Test, ODI and 100 revenue? But if the broadcast revenue did cease, might Essex possibly be the better placed by not having to support huge overheads at large venues that are often empty without broadcast limited over formats. What if fans don’t support this (like EFL Trophy) and then the NEW broadcast audience doesn’t materialise? I hope it will be successful, but I fear it might get a lukewarm reception from current fans. If so, what might be the consequences? What about hard working English First Class players that don’t get drafted into the Franchises and lose out to overseas imports? Lots to consider.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 22:03]
The Hundred on 22:13 - Oct 1 with 2644 viewsGOSBTS

What baffles me is why didn’t they just adjust the existing T20 format to a hundred ball cricket, if they really thought twenty overs was too much for television? You then already have the existing fan bases of the counties, plus the hoped for “new” audience who were too bored for a three hour game but will find a two hour game suddenly riveting.

My own opinion is that T20 is great as it is. Many will probably disagree with me, but I believe that the T20 format ought to have rendered the 40/50 over version obsolete. Anyway, cricket for me is one of those rare sports which places the emphasis on county. I take great pride in supporting Sussex as my county identity is strong, and I am taking increasing pride in following Essex as I am tied to the region. I will have zero affiliation to any team in this new format and I doubt I’ll be watching a single ball.
Login to get fewer ads

The Hundred on 23:28 - Oct 1 with 2636 viewsmfb_cufc

Another vote for bollocks from me. As noah has said this could become the cricket version of the EFL Trophy, but with loads of money for the counties. The 100 is definitely not needed, "new" people have already been attracted to cricket by T20. 100 maybe more suited to TV, but I can't believe any it makes any different to a fan whether game last for 2 hours or 3 hours. I know there is loads of money in this for Essex, but I hope the competition is a failure.

mfb

The Hundred on 06:28 - Oct 2 with 2624 viewsbwildered

Thought I was reading the Essex Outfielder Website .

The hundred was voted through with the promise of 1.3m to every county, on top of the 1m that all first class counties already receive from ECB.
At least the Chairman of Essex asked the members of their views, but whatever the county voted it was railroaded through by the many .
The Olympic stadium would need vast alteration to play cricket due to positioning of TV, lighting , sight-screens which would result in loss of too many seats to make the event finically viable .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

The Hundred on 08:25 - Oct 2 with 2618 viewsMoor_Pinot

The Hundred on 23:28 - Oct 1 by mfb_cufc

Another vote for bollocks from me. As noah has said this could become the cricket version of the EFL Trophy, but with loads of money for the counties. The 100 is definitely not needed, "new" people have already been attracted to cricket by T20. 100 maybe more suited to TV, but I can't believe any it makes any different to a fan whether game last for 2 hours or 3 hours. I know there is loads of money in this for Essex, but I hope the competition is a failure.

In full agreement Mick. The three competitions existent are quite enough and many counties like Essex will be marginalised. Beginning of the end for County cricket as we know it?
Hope not as the CC has sustained me through many summers and I have enjoyed the experience of watching it. Not against change but not all changes are for the good.

Moor Pinot

The Hundred on 12:24 - Oct 2 with 2605 viewsnoah4x4

If you visit New Zealand; there International cricket and Rugby share many stadiums similar to the (London) Olympic Stadium. For example, the WestPac Stadium, Wellington, where they use nursery grown “drop in” cricket pitches. It’s completely covered for spectators and I can even see a future for cricket to be played under stadium roofs such as at Wembley (albeit that isn’t a complete roof). We might then see consistently prepared pitches favouring bat and ball rather than the disgrace that was Taunton (but I digress).

However, I agree that the cost of Stadium conversion to cricket is inevitably an issue and might be prohibitive (but seemingly not in NZ which has a similar climate). But I wonder if Essex would benefit from much larger gate revenue and hence benefit over the long haul? Of course, such a relocation would be viewed as a disaster by Chelmsford and Colchester based fans (currently the majority?). However, the majority of Essex League cricket is played south of Chelmsford and that is where the majority of cricket loving population is based. So Stratford perhaps isn’t such a stupid idea and it might then compete with Lords/Oval.

I am, of course, playing devils advocate since as a North Essex based cricket fan I would hate to see this happen. But for “Essex” to become sustainable as a broadcast option SHOULD the Hundred becomes a success at the (eventual) expense of T20 might this be the only potentially viable option? Chelmsford can never be developed into the large capacity venue required to compete and host these new formats. I hence do fear that Essex becoming marginalised is a very real threat. I hope I am wrong.
The Hundred on 15:12 - Oct 2 with 2588 viewsburnsieespana

So do I noah when I think back to the many happy memories I have of watching Essex play at both Clacton and Colchester in the early 60's!
Over the years for financial reasons have gradually lost all the festivals where Essex used to play.
The Hundred on 17:48 - Oct 2 with 2572 viewsbwildered

Re post on Outfielder May 2018.

A recent article suggests the London Stadium, would become a nightmare for any form of cricket.
First problem was glare at dusk from the surroundings especially the persplex canopy . So moving the wicket around was the answer, but the sight screens then hindered the reply screens. The press box was then in the wrong place with new temporary floodlights . The TV positions for football and cricket required all new locations and more with cricket to accommodate . Alas when all considered 30,000 empty seats, half the original captiicity was the result .
Too many no bums on seats was the final no no for World Cup 2019 fixture .
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another problem also arose regarding a drop in wicket due to the undersoil heating system .

The Hundred will devalue all cricket played by the counties when ninety full time players from the draft migrate to the franchise sides during mid summer, although will be paid by ECB rather than the County then represented .
From next season the top Division of the county championship will have ten counties present (instead of the eight) which means the lower, usually the non test ground sides, will struggle even more with the bigger sides signing the better players to cover their own depleted squads.

The Hundred on 18:38 - Oct 2 with 2566 viewsFruitbat

I have a conspiracy theory about increasing Div 1 to 10. This last season 4 test grounds - Lords, Old Trafford, Chester le Street and Cardiff all hosted Div 2 games and I don't think the ECB like that. My guess is that they hope a longer season makes it harder for the smaller counties to compete and I bet they're gutted Northants got promoted and Notts relegated.

Tin-foil hat anyone?

(Bloody autocorrect changed that to Tim Foil - who the hell is he?)
[Post edited 2 Oct 2019 18:40]
The Hundred on 13:15 - Oct 3 with 2518 viewsmfb_cufc

It has just been announced the names of the teams, the kits, the colours - and which players they have selected first. I see Dan Lawrence of Essex has been selected for the London Spirit team.

mfb

The Hundred on 20:30 - Oct 3 with 2500 viewsGOSBTS

Looking at the kits, marketing and cringey slogans, is this all some sort of joke?! This is the description on the official website for the Southern Brave (?!) team:

“Follow Southern Brave, and go boldly where others shy away. Endlessly curious, with an insatiable appetite for adventure, what’s over the horizon?”

What a load of pants!
The Hundred on 00:10 - Oct 4 with 2486 viewsmfb_cufc

The Hundred on 20:30 - Oct 3 by GOSBTS

Looking at the kits, marketing and cringey slogans, is this all some sort of joke?! This is the description on the official website for the Southern Brave (?!) team:

“Follow Southern Brave, and go boldly where others shy away. Endlessly curious, with an insatiable appetite for adventure, what’s over the horizon?”

What a load of pants!

It is certainly a joke GOSBTS. Welsh Fire, catchment counties Glamorgan, Gloucestershire and Somerset, select Yorkshire's Jonny Bairstow. Trent Rockets, catchment counties Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and Leicestershire, select Yorkshire's Joe Root. What is the point of this rubbish? Oh yer the counties all get £1.3m each. Why not just give the counties the money and scrap this c**p.

mfb

The Hundred on 06:08 - Oct 4 with 2482 viewsbwildered

It's ECB version of Indian PL and Australia Big Bash. Targetted at a new audience.
Cricket sold itself down the river when signing for Sky, but is now desperate to get a foothold back into terrestrial TV has a generation of people have got lost to the sport.

The Hundred on 09:56 - Oct 4 with 2469 viewsgerry_us

Can someone tell me if the T20 will actually run next season. As winners, it would be a kick in the teeth if it didn't. What next....disband the County Championship? Could we be the last winners of both?

The Hundred has basically lost the "County" identity and with it I suspect many of it's supporters. Who wants to watch a team made up of mercenaries from all over the World who are just there for the money, same as IPL, Big Bash etc etc. Will anyone bid for Sir Alastair with his phenomenal run rate?

Let's get back to the "local" teams to which we can identify and support.
The Hundred on 09:58 - Oct 4 with 2469 viewsburnsieespana

The Hundred on 20:30 - Oct 3 by GOSBTS

What a load of pants!

Sort of silly words used by those taking part in the Apprentice.
As already said pants.
The Hundred on 11:22 - Oct 4 with 2465 viewsmfb_cufc

The Hundred on 09:56 - Oct 4 by gerry_us

Can someone tell me if the T20 will actually run next season. As winners, it would be a kick in the teeth if it didn't. What next....disband the County Championship? Could we be the last winners of both?

The Hundred has basically lost the "County" identity and with it I suspect many of it's supporters. Who wants to watch a team made up of mercenaries from all over the World who are just there for the money, same as IPL, Big Bash etc etc. Will anyone bid for Sir Alastair with his phenomenal run rate?

Let's get back to the "local" teams to which we can identify and support.

All present competitions will be running next season Gerry.

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/894379/counties-agree-to-men-s-domestic-structure-cha

It seems that - just like the Test matches - the joke 100 will be running at the same time as the domestic competitions, with games at lunchtime and teatime in the school holidays.

mfb

The Hundred on 12:54 - Oct 4 with 2462 viewsgerry_us

The Hundred on 11:22 - Oct 4 by mfb_cufc

All present competitions will be running next season Gerry.

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/894379/counties-agree-to-men-s-domestic-structure-cha

It seems that - just like the Test matches - the joke 100 will be running at the same time as the domestic competitions, with games at lunchtime and teatime in the school holidays.

Some cricketers heading for "burn- out" next season.
Hopefully most players of our "little club" will slip under the radar for this Mickey Mouse competition.
The Hundred on 14:57 - Apr 30 with 2194 viewsburnsieespana

At least something good has come out of the lock down as this dreadful competition will not now start until 2021!
The Hundred on 17:16 - Apr 30 with 2177 viewsLeadbelly

The Hundred on 14:57 - Apr 30 by burnsieespana

At least something good has come out of the lock down as this dreadful competition will not now start until 2021!

Agreed. I would have been furious if the that nonsense had been retained at the expense of some games from the domestic fixture list that has already been reduced significantly.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024