Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Hundred 17:24 - Oct 1 with 5114 viewsLeadbelly

Apologies for another cricket thread but I know there are a few of us interested!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/49716478

Since I first heard about this new competition I really did wonder why cricket needed to provide something for those who can't concentrate on one thing for roughly three hours. Having now read the details, link above, it sounds very much like a load of old bo11ocks to me.

I support Essex and England so have no affiliation to a north London franchise or, indeed, any other. I doubt very much I shall be watching but would be interested to hear what others may think.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

The Hundred on 07:24 - Jul 23 with 930 viewsnoah4x4

The comments backlash on the BBC Sport/Cricket pages universally condemn the banal commentary and ghastly overwhelming graphics. Was production outsourced to CBeebies? ECB must be really disappointed with the broadcasters that have already managed to turn off a significant part of both former and the supposed "new" cricket audience.

I am eagerly waiting to read the outcome of the inevitable Freedom of Information Act request from journalists that will enquire how many tickets were given away free. The percentage free at the Women's opening game is rumoured to be a majority. Will the kids return if Mum & Dad must take them and pay? Time will tell......
The Hundred on 22:25 - Aug 3 with 833 viewsmfb_cufc

Why would you want anything to do with this crap when can you can watch proper cricket, and see Essex win from the jaws of defeat again, as they win by 2 wickets on the last ball of the game in their latest One-Day Cup game, after getting 54 ffrom 38 balls for the 9th wicket.

mfb

The Hundred on 22:38 - Aug 3 with 826 viewsLeadbelly

The Hundred on 22:25 - Aug 3 by mfb_cufc

Why would you want anything to do with this crap when can you can watch proper cricket, and see Essex win from the jaws of defeat again, as they win by 2 wickets on the last ball of the game in their latest One-Day Cup game, after getting 54 ffrom 38 balls for the 9th wicket.

Great result today. Bit closer than Sunday’s stroll against Kent.

The Hundred on 09:03 - Aug 4 with 806 viewsbwildered

After two uncontested wins and a thumping defeat it was about time a tight finish surfaced in this competition.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

The Hundred on 01:51 - Aug 13 with 764 viewsdurham_exile

Having watched several of the Hundred matches on Sky I went to Headingley today for the Superchargers v Manchester Originals.

Manchester won the ladies game by 8 wickets in a one sided affair and the in the men's game the tables were turned with Superchargers scoring 200 in their hundred balls and dismissed Manchester in the 99th ball still a distant 70 runs behind.

The weather was ideal 20 degrees and plenty of long sunny periods. The Western Terrace was in good voice.

Lots of families in attendance.

My ticket cost £25 which was good value for the two games.

It may not suit purists but it is entertainment.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

The Hundred on 06:40 - Aug 13 with 758 viewsnoah4x4

Yesterday, I didn't watch the Women's Hundred on TV. Instead I preferred the Test Match and the Lanc's v Essex live stream, but I did later watch the men's Hundred.

It will be interesting to compare these TV audience figures. How many tuned into the women's game only during the men's tea interval? I have only watched the Woman's Hundred when no other higher standard of cricket is being broadcast. I wonder what the attendance will be for England v NZ women at Chelmsford? Surely that will tell us more about the progress of the women's game, and its audience appeal when not piggy-backing a men's event.

So what if the men hit 200? It is only the equivalent of 250 in T20. I am surprised it has taken so long given the slog fest starts on ball three (even in this cricket batsmen "have a look at the wicket"). But once again, what a poor one sided game? Compare it with the excitement of Simon Harmer's final over 6,6,6 2 to miraculously tie the Royal London fixture. Most Hundred matches are proving far too one-sided. To attract and keep spectators, we want more games on a knife edge, that ebb and flow. This extreme short form doesn't.

What affinity do Essex, Somerset, Gloucestershire, Worcestershire (etc) fans have to these teams? , Everybody on this board understands "we support our local team", yet for three peak Summer weeks we will see no County Cricket within Essex. Chelmsford will be packed for Saturday's Royal London Q-final. Did cricket really need the Hundred? I suspect only the women's game might benefit.
The Hundred on 09:56 - Aug 13 with 744 viewsbwildered

Essex seem to deal in tight finishes away from home only, has the home fixtures have resulted in four totally very one sided games at present ( but great century by Sir Chef and power hitting by Harminator ).
The competition now really hots up with quarter, semi and final all within six days !
Did see part of 16.4 game when the test match was diverted across during weather break which looked like the graphics were arranged on a Sinclair ZX Spectrum, the main difference is counting in fives rather than normal six. Wonder how the competition is finally won and where do they keep the Trophy / golden crisp packet , has the franchised teams are not to be representation of the counties.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

The Hundred on 10:58 - Aug 13 with 738 viewsLeadbelly

The Hundred on 06:40 - Aug 13 by noah4x4

Yesterday, I didn't watch the Women's Hundred on TV. Instead I preferred the Test Match and the Lanc's v Essex live stream, but I did later watch the men's Hundred.

It will be interesting to compare these TV audience figures. How many tuned into the women's game only during the men's tea interval? I have only watched the Woman's Hundred when no other higher standard of cricket is being broadcast. I wonder what the attendance will be for England v NZ women at Chelmsford? Surely that will tell us more about the progress of the women's game, and its audience appeal when not piggy-backing a men's event.

So what if the men hit 200? It is only the equivalent of 250 in T20. I am surprised it has taken so long given the slog fest starts on ball three (even in this cricket batsmen "have a look at the wicket"). But once again, what a poor one sided game? Compare it with the excitement of Simon Harmer's final over 6,6,6 2 to miraculously tie the Royal London fixture. Most Hundred matches are proving far too one-sided. To attract and keep spectators, we want more games on a knife edge, that ebb and flow. This extreme short form doesn't.

What affinity do Essex, Somerset, Gloucestershire, Worcestershire (etc) fans have to these teams? , Everybody on this board understands "we support our local team", yet for three peak Summer weeks we will see no County Cricket within Essex. Chelmsford will be packed for Saturday's Royal London Q-final. Did cricket really need the Hundred? I suspect only the women's game might benefit.

Cricket doesn’t need the Hundred IF the ECB considers test cricket the pinnacle of the game. The Hundred simply adds to the congested fixture list and removes county players from other forms of the game. Looking at recent performance levels of the England top three batters in test matches I’d suggest more time playing first class cricket is what’s needed to improve, rather than removing those opportunities.

Login to get fewer ads

The Hundred on 11:42 - Aug 13 with 729 viewsgerry_us

The Hundred on 01:51 - Aug 13 by durham_exile

Having watched several of the Hundred matches on Sky I went to Headingley today for the Superchargers v Manchester Originals.

Manchester won the ladies game by 8 wickets in a one sided affair and the in the men's game the tables were turned with Superchargers scoring 200 in their hundred balls and dismissed Manchester in the 99th ball still a distant 70 runs behind.

The weather was ideal 20 degrees and plenty of long sunny periods. The Western Terrace was in good voice.

Lots of families in attendance.

My ticket cost £25 which was good value for the two games.

It may not suit purists but it is entertainment.

Up the U's

You must have been really bored up in darkest Durham, Durham.
It won't be as entertaining as when (or if) U's score their first proper goal of the season.
The Hundred on 12:10 - Aug 13 with 722 viewsdurham_exile

The Hundred on 11:42 - Aug 13 by gerry_us

You must have been really bored up in darkest Durham, Durham.
It won't be as entertaining as when (or if) U's score their first proper goal of the season.

Gerry - it was a decent day out - honest.

Regarding Colchester - I predict that we will score our first three goals on Saturday against Northampton.

Would Noah go to a Hundred game if there was an East Anglian side I wonder?

Up the U's

Durham_exile

The Hundred on 12:24 - Aug 13 with 721 viewsnoah4x4

The Hundred on 12:10 - Aug 13 by durham_exile

Gerry - it was a decent day out - honest.

Regarding Colchester - I predict that we will score our first three goals on Saturday against Northampton.

Would Noah go to a Hundred game if there was an East Anglian side I wonder?

Up the U's

I probably would follow an East Anglian county team Durham, providing it wasn’t Suffolk, Norfolk or Cambridgeshire. Better still a new franchise team, “Colchester Conquistadors” to be sponsored by Coca Cola (we need an extensive pavilion refurbishment so no cheap-skate pork scratchings manufacturer). Proud to support our local teams!
The Hundred on 15:09 - Aug 13 with 706 viewsgerry_us

Essex's Simon Harmer scores 20runs of the last four balls of the game to tie the match.
Now that's good cricket
The Hundred on 16:29 - Aug 13 with 700 viewsdurham_exile

The Hundred on 12:24 - Aug 13 by noah4x4

I probably would follow an East Anglian county team Durham, providing it wasn’t Suffolk, Norfolk or Cambridgeshire. Better still a new franchise team, “Colchester Conquistadors” to be sponsored by Coca Cola (we need an extensive pavilion refurbishment so no cheap-skate pork scratchings manufacturer). Proud to support our local teams!

Noah that's the spirit. Perhaps the Hundred might expand the number of teams next season.

KP have coined the sponsorship this season that's for sure.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

The Hundred on 17:40 - Aug 13 with 690 viewsnoah4x4

The Hundred on 16:29 - Aug 13 by durham_exile

Noah that's the spirit. Perhaps the Hundred might expand the number of teams next season.

KP have coined the sponsorship this season that's for sure.

Up the U's

I already buy a dozen pack of Hula Hoops each week, so KP have miscalculated if they think they can deprive me of more cash following the Hundred. But if Haribo sponsored….,
The Hundred on 18:42 - Aug 13 with 678 viewsgerry_us

What I don't understand Noah is why have the Essex youngsters disappeared. Sam Cook, Aaron Beard, Jamie Porter, maybe even Dan Lawrence. Did they have 100 contracts because I have not seen any mention of any them either for Essex or the abomination known as the 100. Are they just sitting doing nothing? We could certainly do with their availability with the 50 over comp. nearing its conclusion and with all to play for for Essex
On the other hand the "new" youngsters have been a revelation recently and so glad Sir Big Chef has also been playing regularly and can only provide a big incentive for the youngsters.
The Hundred on 19:55 - Aug 13 with 672 viewsmfb_cufc

The Hundred on 18:42 - Aug 13 by gerry_us

What I don't understand Noah is why have the Essex youngsters disappeared. Sam Cook, Aaron Beard, Jamie Porter, maybe even Dan Lawrence. Did they have 100 contracts because I have not seen any mention of any them either for Essex or the abomination known as the 100. Are they just sitting doing nothing? We could certainly do with their availability with the 50 over comp. nearing its conclusion and with all to play for for Essex
On the other hand the "new" youngsters have been a revelation recently and so glad Sir Big Chef has also been playing regularly and can only provide a big incentive for the youngsters.

I can answer that for you Gerry.

Sam Cook got a late call for the Trent Rockets in the 16.4. As far as I know he has yet to start a game for them.
Aaron Beard has been injured. He started in one of the earlier One-Day Cup games, and sprayed the ball over the place. I think that is the reason he hasn't played since.
Jamie Porter got a side strain in one of the earlier One-Day Cup games, and will miss the rest of the competition.
Dan Lawrence is in the England set-up, and probably won't play for Essex again this season. Though, as I think, he hasn't got a central contract, he might be available.
Jimmy Neesham is their current overseas player, but he is playing in the 16.4.
Michael Pepper played in all the earlier One-Day Cup games, but hasn't been in the squad lately. Persumed injured.

mfb

The Hundred on 19:57 - Aug 13 with 672 viewsnoah4x4

Lawrence is sat doing little as 12th man at the Test. Others are in Hundred squads, also sat doing little, not being selected. Beard seems to be a touch out of favour (but a regular in Essex second XI) and Allison, Plom and Snater preferred.

I have watched Plom, Allison, Rymell and Khushi since they were about 13 and Snater for three seasons. Inexperienced, yes, but the only way to gain that is to trust them. Josh Rymell and Feroze Kushi are certainly stepping up with considerable early success.

The fact we have qualified in the Royal London group shows our strength in depth and high quality youth. Watch out for these other emerging under 18 players, Robin Das, Joe MacGregor, Viv Hassen, Nav Dwivevi, Jamal Richards and Ryan Karunakaren. The future is really bright at Essex. All credit to sone great coaches (like John Embury).
The Hundred on 21:57 - Aug 13 with 660 viewsgerry_us

The Hundred on 19:57 - Aug 13 by noah4x4

Lawrence is sat doing little as 12th man at the Test. Others are in Hundred squads, also sat doing little, not being selected. Beard seems to be a touch out of favour (but a regular in Essex second XI) and Allison, Plom and Snater preferred.

I have watched Plom, Allison, Rymell and Khushi since they were about 13 and Snater for three seasons. Inexperienced, yes, but the only way to gain that is to trust them. Josh Rymell and Feroze Kushi are certainly stepping up with considerable early success.

The fact we have qualified in the Royal London group shows our strength in depth and high quality youth. Watch out for these other emerging under 18 players, Robin Das, Joe MacGregor, Viv Hassen, Nav Dwivevi, Jamal Richards and Ryan Karunakaren. The future is really bright at Essex. All credit to sone great coaches (like John Embury).

Noah..Just spoken to my nephew Paul Baldwin; you may know him.
He had the pleasure of umpiring Lancs v Essex and was stationed at bowlers end for "that last over". Enjoyable he said.
The Hundred on 22:29 - Aug 13 with 657 viewsdurham_exile

The Hundred on 17:40 - Aug 13 by noah4x4

I already buy a dozen pack of Hula Hoops each week, so KP have miscalculated if they think they can deprive me of more cash following the Hundred. But if Haribo sponsored….,

KP

Pombear
Hula Hoops
Butterkist
Tyrrells
Popchips
Skips

Plenty of choice.

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024