Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe 12:14 - Oct 4 with 1738 viewsdurham_exile

JM and his charges play host to Mark Sampson interim manager of Stevenage Borough on Saturday at the JobServe Community Stadium. The Boro have not enjoyed the best of starts to the season but with Kurtis Guthrie and Craig Mackail-Smith in their ranks they possess two potential matchwinners and Guthrie does like to score against his old club!

The U’s by contrast have picked up their season big style and after 15 games the record stands as follows 6 Wins, 6 Draws and 3 Defeats. Two of those draws after 90 minutes were converted to victories after penalties of course.

Saturday though remains a banana skin game with the Boro looking to secure a victory and the U’s needing to ensure that they are not in any way complacent.

Having watched the last three consecutive Colchester games (Orient, Spurs and Macclesfield) I can report that Colchester are in rude health and on course for promotion this season. Well why not the league is wide open, we have players waiting to return in Harry Pell who has just stepped up his training and everyone is awaiting Callum Harriott’s first start since his return to the club. Added to this I sincerely hope that Kwame Poku is fit to play on Saturday because he is one of the most promising players that I have seen in many years.

After the emotional drama of defeating Tottenham Hotspur in the Carabao Cup on the Tuesday evening, many thought that the Macclesfield game would be too much too soon plus we have a poor record at the Moss Rose. The way that the Silkmen came out of the blocks suggested that they wanted to put one over on the super U’s and in truth they could have scored three goals in a lack lustre first half showing from the U’s.

Colchester lined up:

Gerken

Eastman Sowunmi Prosser

Cowan-Hall Lapslie Comley Sarpong-Wiredu Bramall

Nouble Robinson

Subs:
Ross Clampin Chilvers Gambin Stevenson Senior Norris

Now although the U’s appeared to line up with three at the back, Cohen Bramall did not advance sufficiently up the left wing because frankly Macclesfield played very well in the first half. Also, Sarpong-Wiredu never seemed to get into the game. Colchester didn’t help themselves with misplaced passes and a degree of unease at the new formation. Theo Robinson deservedly scored an equaliser on half time and although the second half was a much closer affair, we couldn’t secure the vital second goal and indeed Macclesfield had a last second “goal” rightly disallowed for a foul on Gerken. In other seasons we might have lost that game, but the U’s are becoming difficult to beat.

Tomorrow is all about victory and securing a place in the top seven. Ignore Guthrie and his antics it is all about putting the Boro to the sword and boosting our goal difference into the bargain.

But how will JM play things and what about his starting line-up.

Much depends on Ryan Jackson’s fitness as to whether JM opts with a back four or not. Personally, I would play Paris Cowan-Hall at Right back if Jackson is not fit. After all he kept Son quiet for 45 minutes last Tuesday week. That might be his better position as well at present.

Jackson’s forward play has been inspirational this season and he is playing the best football of his career in the six matches that I have seen so far this season.

In midfield the workhorse Tom Lapslie must play with Brandon Comley leaving JM to decide as to play either Kwame Poku if fit or Ben Stevenson.

Jevani Brown does not seem to have lived up to his pre-season billing. JM must be careful though because he could be cut adrift from the team especially when Pell and Harriott are fit to play.

Theo Robinson, Frank Nouble and Courtney Senior should play as a front three against Stevenage. Senior saw a lot of the ball last Saturday in the second half and must convert the opportunities that either he or others create. He has pace and skill but often his last pass is woeful, or he simply runs out of steam, but he is a talent.

Therefore 4,3,3:

Gerken

Cowan-Hall Eastman Prosser Bramall

Lapslie Stevenson Comley

Senior Nouble Robinson

Subs:
Ross Clampin Chilvers Gambin Norris Poku Sowunmi

Any manager will know the importance of keeping players content if they are not playing regularly and that is a problem at present with Chuck Norris who simply needs to be fed some red meat before he takes to the field, such is his frustration at not starting games.

Robinson for me was an inspired loan signing, he has goals in him and looks very sharp. I would like to see JM “do a Klopp" and play Norris Nouble and Robinson as a front three but that is perhaps too much for JM to contemplate but for about 10 minutes at Boundary Park, he did have all three on the pitch together.

For a home match, where Stevenage are bound to play five at the back, why not stretch them by playing three strikers and go for the jugular. Too much too soon perhaps but I watched the Liverpool v Salzburg game on Wednesday evening and whilst I am in no way trying to suggest that a Colchester front three can emulate Liverpool , opposition teams’ recoil from a pacy threat across the entire pitch. Kwame Poku could of course play with any of the other two Colchester strikers to create a similar effect . After all, if a criticism of the U’s is that we don’t score enough goals then we will surely convert more chances with a greater percentage of forward-thinking players on the pitch.

Now a moan — direct free kicks from about 20 to 25 yards out. Over the years we have occasionally had a player capable of scoring such opportunities. We all know who they were but currently we have no one capable of converting them. On Saturday we had two very presentable chances, and both were taken (poorly) by Cohen Bramall.

Now I would have thought when he is on the field Chuck Norris could deliver a free kick with venom and bend but to aimlessly fire them over the bar or tamely at the Keeper is not the way to win friends or influence people. On the training pitches we must practice such free kicks so let’s improve the ratio of conversion. Harry Pell would be the obvious choice when fit I suppose but, in the meantime, we are missing out on goal scoring opportunities. Moan over.

The weather in Colchester on Saturday is scheduled to be sunny and 14 degrees Celsius with only a 10% chance of precipitation. The pitch will be immaculate and so a passing game is the preferred option.

Three points and a minimum of three goals are required on Saturday, there is no room for sentiment or complacency. Personally, I would like to see Colchester win 5-0 and that would set us up nicely for Spurs (again) Crawley and Morecambe, which are all winnable games.

Oh, and Kurtis Guthrie, simply ignore him, forget about the boos, focus on scoring goals and that will negate any threat that he might offer. He might even get sent off in frustration!

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 13:00 - Oct 4 with 1208 viewsgerry_us

Beating Tottenham doesn't look so special now after their home thumping this week! Perhaps we could give Bayern Munich a good thrashing let alone Boro?
Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 14:56 - Oct 4 with 1193 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 13:00 - Oct 4 by gerry_us

Beating Tottenham doesn't look so special now after their home thumping this week! Perhaps we could give Bayern Munich a good thrashing let alone Boro?

Gerry it could be argued that we softened them up for Bayern Munich!

I reckon we will see Stevenage off comfortably on Saturday.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 20:16 - Oct 4 with 1161 viewsGOSBTS

Great preview Durham and I can't wait to be back at the Community Stadium tomorrow. Only question is whether I'll come down earlier to watch the Brighton v Spurs game there or not.

Speaking of Brighton, I'll always, always feel so bad for Craig Mackail-Smith as I believe we ruined his career. He signed for us from the Posh in 2011 when we both got promoted from the Championship. Bit controversial because Peterborough had also gone up with us, but we were a club very much on the rise and moving into the Amex. CMS began well for us but it soon became apparent that Gus Poyet's passing brand of football stifled CMS' natural game of running onto through and lofted balls, running off the back of defenders. The way we played meant our strikers had their back to goal all the time. It was completely our fault to buy a striker not suited to our style. He ran after EVERYTHING and put his heart and soul into every performance. He was one of those players that you desperately wanted to score just to boost his confidence.

He stagnated for 3 or so seasons with us and his career never got back to what it was. I wonder what it would have been like if he'd stayed at the Posh. Lovely bloke and signed my shirt during his first season with us...after we beat Pompey 2-0 I think. Still have it! If he's still got that dog-like quality of chasing everything down, the U's will have to be very careful not to be caught on the break. Can't wait to see him out there.

I'm fearful that this may turn out to be like the Walsall game, but I'm going for a very optimistic 5-1 victory for the U's, just shy off of your 5-0 prediction Durham. Up the mighty U's!

p.s. what kind of crowd can we expect from Stevenage, considering they're local-ish?
Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 20:37 - Oct 4 with 1157 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 20:16 - Oct 4 by GOSBTS

Great preview Durham and I can't wait to be back at the Community Stadium tomorrow. Only question is whether I'll come down earlier to watch the Brighton v Spurs game there or not.

Speaking of Brighton, I'll always, always feel so bad for Craig Mackail-Smith as I believe we ruined his career. He signed for us from the Posh in 2011 when we both got promoted from the Championship. Bit controversial because Peterborough had also gone up with us, but we were a club very much on the rise and moving into the Amex. CMS began well for us but it soon became apparent that Gus Poyet's passing brand of football stifled CMS' natural game of running onto through and lofted balls, running off the back of defenders. The way we played meant our strikers had their back to goal all the time. It was completely our fault to buy a striker not suited to our style. He ran after EVERYTHING and put his heart and soul into every performance. He was one of those players that you desperately wanted to score just to boost his confidence.

He stagnated for 3 or so seasons with us and his career never got back to what it was. I wonder what it would have been like if he'd stayed at the Posh. Lovely bloke and signed my shirt during his first season with us...after we beat Pompey 2-0 I think. Still have it! If he's still got that dog-like quality of chasing everything down, the U's will have to be very careful not to be caught on the break. Can't wait to see him out there.

I'm fearful that this may turn out to be like the Walsall game, but I'm going for a very optimistic 5-1 victory for the U's, just shy off of your 5-0 prediction Durham. Up the mighty U's!

p.s. what kind of crowd can we expect from Stevenage, considering they're local-ish?

GOSBTS I have always been a fan of CMS too.

It is interesting that some players suit some clubs better than others. Or maybe they have better coaches or team spirit or commitment or any of a range of factors.

I really hope you enjoy both games the Brighton Spurs and Colchester Stevenage.

Last season the Boro did the double over Col U and they brought 282 supporters to the JobServe given their parlous state this season I wouldn't have thought they would bring any more.

Weather set fair should be a cracker enjoy.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 14:33 - Oct 5 with 1097 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 20:37 - Oct 4 by durham_exile

GOSBTS I have always been a fan of CMS too.

It is interesting that some players suit some clubs better than others. Or maybe they have better coaches or team spirit or commitment or any of a range of factors.

I really hope you enjoy both games the Brighton Spurs and Colchester Stevenage.

Last season the Boro did the double over Col U and they brought 282 supporters to the JobServe given their parlous state this season I wouldn't have thought they would bring any more.

Weather set fair should be a cracker enjoy.

UTU's

Interesting side chosen today. The whinging carthorse is playing so I hope he scores goals to justify the moaning he has done of late. Not a brilliant signing for us but maybe he can learn to play off others and involve others today. Recently I've not been aware he's on the pitch. Mind you Brown is hardly making a case for himself. We shall see, Guthrie is sure to succeed in winding up our inexperienced players which is a worry. Today is all about preparation and I quite like the look of the line up.
Up the U's

Moor Pinot

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 14:39 - Oct 5 with 1093 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 14:33 - Oct 5 by Moor_Pinot

Interesting side chosen today. The whinging carthorse is playing so I hope he scores goals to justify the moaning he has done of late. Not a brilliant signing for us but maybe he can learn to play off others and involve others today. Recently I've not been aware he's on the pitch. Mind you Brown is hardly making a case for himself. We shall see, Guthrie is sure to succeed in winding up our inexperienced players which is a worry. Today is all about preparation and I quite like the look of the line up.
Up the U's

Pinault I wonder if JM might occasionally read my ramblings.

Absolutely delighted to see Jackson back and Poku.
But playing three strikers should set the stadium alight!
I hoped against hope that he might play them all.
4,3,3 very attacking.

We can certainly win and win well with this side.

Strong bench as well with Lapslie, Chilvers, Wiredu and Gambin.

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 15:18 - Oct 5 with 1086 viewsdurham_exile

So much for my 5-0

Come on Col U

Durham_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 15:21 - Oct 5 with 1083 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 15:18 - Oct 5 by durham_exile

So much for my 5-0

Come on Col U

5-1?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 15:40 - Oct 5 with 1079 viewsMoor_Pinot

Our management, which we know to be of very very limited capability has obviously not prepared our side for Guthrie and his tactics any more than he did last season. I've seen nothing yet to suggest plan A will work and of course plan B is non existent.. A good div 4 team would be a couple of goals up on this Stevenage lot by now.
C'est la vie as they shrug out here. I get fed up with shrugging off what's going on with our lot.
Naturally still hoping for 5-1 Durham!!

Moor Pinot

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 15:49 - Oct 5 with 1075 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 15:40 - Oct 5 by Moor_Pinot

Our management, which we know to be of very very limited capability has obviously not prepared our side for Guthrie and his tactics any more than he did last season. I've seen nothing yet to suggest plan A will work and of course plan B is non existent.. A good div 4 team would be a couple of goals up on this Stevenage lot by now.
C'est la vie as they shrug out here. I get fed up with shrugging off what's going on with our lot.
Naturally still hoping for 5-1 Durham!!

I really don't understand why we constantly do this.
We should be making the stadium a fortress but it never works out that way.
Big second half needed

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 16:04 - Oct 5 with 1067 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 15:49 - Oct 5 by durham_exile

Big second half needed

UTU's

I think you do understand really Durham, you're just too polite to say. We have very very limited management at our club. Since this individual began he has proved a multiplicity of times that he has no idea how to prepare our players beforehand. Nothing has ever changed in that respect. We rarely take the field fired up or seemingly made aware of opposition strengths and weaknesses. Preparation and prediction skills are non existent. I am now left just hoping to get something out of the game. But it'll be down to one or two players I'm afraid, it won't be anything tactical.

Moor Pinot

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 16:05 - Oct 5 with 1066 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 15:49 - Oct 5 by durham_exile

Big second half needed

UTU's

Come on we need to turn this around
Time to convert chances
UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 16:09 - Oct 5 with 1064 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 16:05 - Oct 5 by durham_exile

Come on we need to turn this around
Time to convert chances
UTU's

Tom Eastman
Get in

Durham_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 16:09 - Oct 5 with 1064 viewswessex_exile

Eastman shows our front line how to do it - 1-1, back on level terms.

Come on Col U!!!

Up the U's

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 16:21 - Oct 5 with 1056 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 16:09 - Oct 5 by wessex_exile

Eastman shows our front line how to do it - 1-1, back on level terms.

Come on Col U!!!

Mr Dependable - hardly picked last season, comfortably our best this season, maybe he'll get another.

Moor Pinot

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 16:27 - Oct 5 with 1051 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 16:21 - Oct 5 by Moor_Pinot

Mr Dependable - hardly picked last season, comfortably our best this season, maybe he'll get another.

CMS on for Stevenage

Come on the U's we can win this

Durham_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 16:28 - Oct 5 with 1051 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 16:21 - Oct 5 by Moor_Pinot

Difficult to imagine anyone else getting one so has to be Eastman with another four!
Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 16:31 - Oct 5 with 1050 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 16:28 - Oct 5 by gerry_us

Difficult to imagine anyone else getting one so has to be Eastman with another four!

19 mins to play
Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 16:38 - Oct 5 with 1046 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 16:31 - Oct 5 by durham_exile

19 mins to play
Come on the U's

Gambin and wiredu on for Stevenson and Norris

Durham_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 16:41 - Oct 5 with 1043 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 16:38 - Oct 5 by durham_exile

Gambin and wiredu on for Stevenson and Norris

Penalty 2-1 to the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 16:44 - Oct 5 with 1040 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 16:41 - Oct 5 by durham_exile

Penalty 2-1 to the U's

Big Frank - now please hold on!!

Up the U's

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 16:44 - Oct 5 with 1038 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 16:44 - Oct 5 by wessex_exile

Poku 3-1

Durham_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 16:44 - Oct 5 with 1038 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 16:44 - Oct 5 by wessex_exile

...or get a 3rd to seal it!!! Well done Poku!

Up the U's

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 16:46 - Oct 5 with 1033 viewsMoor_Pinot

...or get a 3rd to seal it!!! Well done Poku!

At last, two more from Tom and it'll be your 5-1 Wessex! The players have dragged us out of this!

Moor Pinot

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 16:48 - Oct 5 with 1030 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to see off the Boro at Fortress JobServe on 16:46 - Oct 5 by Moor_Pinot

At last, two more from Tom and it'll be your 5-1 Wessex! The players have dragged us out of this!

Jevani Brown on for Big Frank

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024