Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Very short article on Wells 19:36 - Oct 6 with 4215 viewsbosh67

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/wells-wouldnt-hesitate-one-bit-to-make-perma

Really seems to have settled this time.

If Burnley are prepared to sell him for a massive loss (they signed him for £5m) and he is prepared to be on £150 a week plus an Oyster card I am sure we can work this out. Okay, maybe not the Oyster card.

Much as I would love him to be permanent here I can't see our new wage structure being able to do it although his contract is up at Burnley next summer.

So who knows? Let's see how the rest of the season goes.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Very short article on Wells on 20:53 - Oct 6 with 2942 viewsLongsufferingR

I'm sure we could cope with the Oyster card as well as long as we're not topping it up for him.
Very short article on Wells on 20:55 - Oct 6 with 2932 viewsQPR_John

Wells is out of contract at the end of the season.
Very short article on Wells on 21:16 - Oct 6 with 2882 viewsPeterHucker

Very short article on Wells on 20:55 - Oct 6 by QPR_John

Wells is out of contract at the end of the season.

If he carries on playing as well as he has so far this season then some Premier League teams will be trying to sign him and there's no way we should be trying to compete wagewise with any of them.
But if he's happy to stay on much lower wages than he's been on at Burnley then great. We shouldn't break the bank to sign him though, he'll be 30 at the end of the season.

Incidentally I saw from his Wikipedia page that he started his career in the Bermudan Premier Division playing for a team called Dandy Town Hornets.
After Queens Park Rangers, that's got to be the 2nd greatest football team name in the world!

Some other cool team names in the Bermudan Premier Division include PHC Zebras,
X Roads Warriors and Robin Hood.
Very short article on Wells on 21:51 - Oct 6 with 2808 viewsEsox_Lucius

Is he happy enough at QPR this season? does he see enough promise in what MW is trying to do with the side? does he think he could get one last shot at playing regularly in the EPL to sign a one or two year contract on a similar amount to the reputed 40% of what Burnley are paying him? I think he is feeling the love so it would be down to whether he thinks he has made enough money from football to do something for the love of the game (and still a decent wedge).

The grass is always greener.

Very short article on Wells on 21:58 - Oct 6 with 2789 viewseastside_r

Very short article on Wells on 20:53 - Oct 6 by LongsufferingR

I'm sure we could cope with the Oyster card as well as long as we're not topping it up for him.

Maybe the odd one-off payment but not auto top-up.
Very short article on Wells on 23:19 - Oct 6 with 2663 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Very short article on Wells on 21:58 - Oct 6 by eastside_r

Maybe the odd one-off payment but not auto top-up.

Don't talk to me about auto top up. One of my credit cards was replaced and the problems I had with TFL on that!!
Very short article on Wells on 00:14 - Oct 7 with 2601 viewstimcocking

He's been a joy. Love the guy.

And i love listening to Caribbean accents.
Very short article on Wells on 07:53 - Oct 7 with 2488 viewsozranger

Actually thought he was one of the best players on Saturday. Loved the way he really got into the game and is enjoying himself a lot more than the second half of last season. Some of his touches are now coming off, like the one that set Chair towards goal that eventually finished with BOS's shot over. Some may not have also noted his movement for the final goal where he was able to first get out of the way of Hugill and then get himself into a position in case there was a rebound of a save. Some of the positions that he has got himself when in the box have shown that he has a lot of confidence in himself.

As to staying, with the youngsters around and those coming through, why wouldn't he. Also, as he's getting old and chances of a higher level are getting less likely, perhaps he is making the sensible move in considering that the Championship is his level and here is a good place to spend the next few years. We shall see.
Login to get fewer ads

Very short article on Wells on 08:28 - Oct 7 with 2404 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Until he joined us I always thought he was Scottish. Dunno why

I'd love to keep him if we can afford him. I was happy he came back this season as I said to DagSteve at the British Beer festival.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Very short article on Wells on 08:31 - Oct 7 with 2399 viewsCamberleyR

I think if we give him MW's office swivel chair to take home at weekends plus the automatic bottle opener (with instruction booklet) it might tempt him.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Very short article on Wells on 08:42 - Oct 7 with 2379 viewsPinnerPaul

He has said previously that he DID take a pay cut to be here this season.

Obviously a lot depends on whether we go up...……….

Cue laughter/hoots of derision/ nods of approval - delete as appropriate!
Very short article on Wells on 09:23 - Oct 7 with 2308 viewsenfieldargh

Very short article on Wells on 21:16 - Oct 6 by PeterHucker

If he carries on playing as well as he has so far this season then some Premier League teams will be trying to sign him and there's no way we should be trying to compete wagewise with any of them.
But if he's happy to stay on much lower wages than he's been on at Burnley then great. We shouldn't break the bank to sign him though, he'll be 30 at the end of the season.

Incidentally I saw from his Wikipedia page that he started his career in the Bermudan Premier Division playing for a team called Dandy Town Hornets.
After Queens Park Rangers, that's got to be the 2nd greatest football team name in the world!

I'm sure I played against the Robin Hood back in the day

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Very short article on Wells on 09:46 - Oct 7 with 2268 viewsElHoop

Very short article on Wells on 07:53 - Oct 7 by ozranger

Actually thought he was one of the best players on Saturday. Loved the way he really got into the game and is enjoying himself a lot more than the second half of last season. Some of his touches are now coming off, like the one that set Chair towards goal that eventually finished with BOS's shot over. Some may not have also noted his movement for the final goal where he was able to first get out of the way of Hugill and then get himself into a position in case there was a rebound of a save. Some of the positions that he has got himself when in the box have shown that he has a lot of confidence in himself.

As to staying, with the youngsters around and those coming through, why wouldn't he. Also, as he's getting old and chances of a higher level are getting less likely, perhaps he is making the sensible move in considering that the Championship is his level and here is a good place to spend the next few years. We shall see.

I thought that he was one of the best players on Saturday too. It's OK to have players capable of huffing and puffing, but someone needs to blow the house down. The first half hour was pretty dire and we didn't really look like scoring at all. In fact there was barely a shot on target. And then out of nothing a move down the left created a half chance for Wells and he put it away. From then on it was a different game. If he'd have missed that chance, what would have happened? I've no idea but we may not have won.

In most of the games that we've won this season, either Wells or Hugill have scored our first goal. With only one of them starting we reduce the possibility of getting that goal by 50%. I'm not sure that there was a corresponding benefit from keeping Hugill on the bench, but of course I may be wrong. That's why i prefer 5-3-2 because there's always the option of one of the three at the back slotting into midfield if required, whereas adapting from 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 to 5-3-2 might be more complicated.

Wells is sharp in the box in this team and Hugill is very good in the air so that gives us both options when they both play. There was not much more that Wells could have done on Saturday other than to hang around waiting for something to come his way, and when it did he took it. It was the key moment in the game.
Very short article on Wells on 09:57 - Oct 7 with 2248 viewsBlackCrowe

Very short article on Wells on 08:31 - Oct 7 by CamberleyR

I think if we give him MW's office swivel chair to take home at weekends plus the automatic bottle opener (with instruction booklet) it might tempt him.

Mrs Warburton's recipe for lemon ice cream should seal it.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Very short article on Wells on 10:09 - Oct 7 with 2222 viewsAntti_Heinola

Very short article on Wells on 21:16 - Oct 6 by PeterHucker

absolutely, 1000% no prem club is coming in for him. Come on. He's playing well, but he's not that standard.

Bare bones.

Very short article on Wells on 10:13 - Oct 7 with 2197 viewsbosh67

Very short article on Wells on 09:57 - Oct 7 by BlackCrowe

Mrs Warburton's recipe for lemon ice cream should seal it.

And use of the swivel chair at weekends

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Very short article on Wells on 10:14 - Oct 7 with 2193 viewsPinnerPaul

Very short article on Wells on 10:09 - Oct 7 by Antti_Heinola

absolutely, 1000% no prem club is coming in for him. Come on. He's playing well, but he's not that standard.

Not sure I agree - see Hugill - West Ham as a prime example.

PL clubs think nothing of taking a small punt - £5 - £10M doesn't represent much of a financial risk these days.

Just because they buy someone doesn't mean he has to be good enough to play 38 games - sometimes its just as useful cover and for those pesky cup games that get in the way!
Very short article on Wells on 10:19 - Oct 7 with 2178 viewsdaveB

Very short article on Wells on 10:14 - Oct 7 by PinnerPaul

PL clubs think nothing of taking a small punt - £5 - £10M doesn't represent much of a financial risk these days.

Just because they buy someone doesn't mean he has to be good enough to play 38 games - sometimes its just as useful cover and for those pesky cup games that get in the way!

He won't get a move to a Premier League side, he'll need to get promoted to play there imo
Very short article on Wells on 10:27 - Oct 7 with 2163 viewsbob566

Very short article on Wells on 10:19 - Oct 7 by daveB

He won't get a move to a Premier League side, he'll need to get promoted to play there imo

beat me to it. Why do people think there will be premier league clubs clamouring for him when he can't break into the squad of no disrespect to burnley but one of the smaller premier teams.
Very short article on Wells on 10:52 - Oct 7 with 2118 viewsAntti_Heinola

Very short article on Wells on 10:14 - Oct 7 by PinnerPaul

Wells is about 4th or 5th choice at Burnley, he got 7 goals last year, and averages about 1 in 4 in the championship before that. He's 29 and we've landed him for two consecutive years on loan.
I love him as much as the next man, but no prem club is coming in for him.
I will admit Prem teams make odd buys, but come on. It ain't happening. And even if it did, at this stage of his career, I doubt he'd go - strikes me as a man who hates sitting on the bench (or worse) all year.

Bare bones.

Very short article on Wells on 11:25 - Oct 7 with 2046 viewsjonno

Very short article on Wells on 10:52 - Oct 7 by Antti_Heinola

Wells is about 4th or 5th choice at Burnley, he got 7 goals last year, and averages about 1 in 4 in the championship before that. He's 29 and we've landed him for two consecutive years on loan.
I love him as much as the next man, but no prem club is coming in for him.
I will admit Prem teams make odd buys, but come on. It ain't happening. And even if it did, at this stage of his career, I doubt he'd go - strikes me as a man who hates sitting on the bench (or worse) all year.

Would love what you say to be true, but in reality if he is offered better money somewhere else he, and more to the point his agent, will take that offer I think.
Very short article on Wells on 11:47 - Oct 7 with 1997 viewsDavieQPR

If any Prem club wanted him they could have signed him for next to nothing. Unwanted and last year of contract. We don't know how much we are paying to loan him but that might possibly be enough to entice him. Sometimes playing regularly for a team that wants you, a
Manager that wants you , in front of fans that want you,makes a difference.
Very short article on Wells on 13:15 - Oct 7 with 1855 viewsPinnerPaul

Very short article on Wells on 11:47 - Oct 7 by DavieQPR

If any Prem club wanted him they could have signed him for next to nothing. Unwanted and last year of contract. We don't know how much we are paying to loan him but that might possibly be enough to entice him. Sometimes playing regularly for a team that wants you, a
Manager that wants you , in front of fans that want you,makes a difference.

You'd like to think so but money talks - reason any player moves usually.
Very short article on Wells on 13:50 - Oct 7 with 1782 viewsDavieQPR

Almost every Championship club is being hit by FFP. The money is not there anymore.
Very short article on Wells on 13:55 - Oct 7 with 1759 viewsAntti_Heinola

Very short article on Wells on 11:25 - Oct 7 by jonno

Would love what you say to be true, but in reality if he is offered better money somewhere else he, and more to the point his agent, will take that offer I think.

oh i agree - think it more likely a championship club comes in with a better money offer. I just don't think a Prem club *will* come in.

Pinner's right that players usually move for money. But it's not always the case. Players often take wage cuts in order to get football. Probably more than we think.

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024