Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matchday Captain 10:25 - Oct 11 with 1402 viewsEsox_Lucius

There have been many occasions over the years on the forums where the efficacy of a captain has been debated and condemnation of those perceived to be less than of the desired level. A case in point was Nedum Onuoha who was supposedly highly rated by the players and the rest of the club yet harshly condemned by many supporters.
Since his departure there have been a number of team captains, none of which have been the old school 'kick, bollock & bite' variety, and during the dark times under Holloway & SMC this was felt to be a partial contributor to the malaise.
IMO the need for this type of captain appears to have faded, in the top two divisions at least; in fact the need for an on pitch screamer and shouter seems to have completely dropped off the radar these days.
These thoughts were occasioned by an observation of the celebrations after Eze's goal against Blackburn where after he ran to the corner with three of his team mates for his little showboating celebration, he then moved to return to his own half but Nahki Wells called the players together for a little huddle first, perhaps to remind them to stay switched on etc. but noticeable none the less as it brought me to the realisation that I have no clue who was named captain for the game. The players are all well drilled in what is required of them and all demonstrate a high level of camaraderie so it would seem the need for a captain has all but disappeared from the side. There are a few obvious leaders on the pitch and, it would appear, a few not so obvious ones. It would seem that QPR are now a collective with responsibilities for them all to be leaders.
Thoughts?
[Post edited 11 Oct 2019 10:56]

The grass is always greener.

Matchday Captain on 11:16 - Oct 11 with 1336 viewsrunningman75

For me a captain needs to be able to see what is going on and speak to the players. It is good to have camaraderie but also have an experience player to help the youngsters as well as communicate with others. I was at the Blackburn game and Warburton was shouting from the sidelines, also heard Kelly shout down the pitch at the players. Regardless of what players thought of him as a goalkeeper good to hear a goalkeeper communicating. I think Leistner was not part of Warburton's plans pre season but has proved to be a solid defender. With Hall out I would be happy for him to be captain.
Matchday Captain on 12:04 - Oct 11 with 1279 viewstimcocking

On the pitch, nobody really gives a toss who's captain, it doesn't matter. Everybody is equal, if there is a hierarchy, it'll favour generally favour the best players. Crap players obviously can't go around berating better players. It's really more of a figurehead for the fans. It's more about how alpha males you've got out there. You want some at least.

Certain players will naturally keep talking all game, whereas others, most, never say a word. It's in a person's nature i guess. The game is much easier when you are playing with as many 'leaders' as possible and the afternoon will seem to be a long one when you don't have any talking going on. It's just part of the psychological battle, trying to impose your teams will over the other team and intimidate them a little or encourage your own players to fight harder.

Personally, i always used to encourage everybody for the full 90 minutes, but i was surprised how many people were quiet as a mouse.
Matchday Captain on 12:51 - Oct 11 with 1239 viewsingeminate

Matchday Captain on 12:04 - Oct 11 by timcocking

On the pitch, nobody really gives a toss who's captain, it doesn't matter. Everybody is equal, if there is a hierarchy, it'll favour generally favour the best players. Crap players obviously can't go around berating better players. It's really more of a figurehead for the fans. It's more about how alpha males you've got out there. You want some at least.

Certain players will naturally keep talking all game, whereas others, most, never say a word. It's in a person's nature i guess. The game is much easier when you are playing with as many 'leaders' as possible and the afternoon will seem to be a long one when you don't have any talking going on. It's just part of the psychological battle, trying to impose your teams will over the other team and intimidate them a little or encourage your own players to fight harder.

Personally, i always used to encourage everybody for the full 90 minutes, but i was surprised how many people were quiet as a mouse.

So long as there are leaders on the pitch doesn’t matter who the captain is - see Adel
Leaders set the tone, organise, encourage, berate where necessary and drive a team on.

Looking at the squad, Leistner, Rangel, Lumley, Cameron, Wells and Hughill all show leadership in different ways. Manning has potential as well.

It’s a great environment for the likes of Eze and Chair to play football in.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Matchday Captain on 12:58 - Oct 11 with 1220 viewsQPROslo

Hasn't Leistener taken over the Captaincy since Hall has been out. He seems to be leading out the team, providing encouragement and making our complaints to the Ref lately.?
Matchday Captain on 13:00 - Oct 11 with 1214 viewsMiss_Terraces

I agree the captain's role has diminished on the pitch. Although I still love to see us having a captain, who reminds me of Macca. A huge part of the reason, why I and so many of us loved Clint so much.

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

Matchday Captain on 13:41 - Oct 11 with 1186 viewsEsox_Lucius

Matchday Captain on 13:00 - Oct 11 by Miss_Terraces

I agree the captain's role has diminished on the pitch. Although I still love to see us having a captain, who reminds me of Macca. A huge part of the reason, why I and so many of us loved Clint so much.

I think that is part of my point in the OP. Hill is now 5-6 years ago and if you are honest there just wouldn't be place for him in the current side as the player he was for us. We still don't have anyone who was as good as him in heading the ball clear from opponents, although BFG and Hall are pretty good, but his would be a limiting skill set in the way MW has the team set up.
I understand that a captain has to be named for the purposes of the the referee having a point of contact with a side when there is something to discuss and I think it is still in the laws that other than the player being spoken to, the only other player allowed to be involved is the captain.

Matchday Captain on 17:04 - Oct 11 with 1108 viewsPinnerPaul

Another law myth - this is what law actually says (Nothing else!)

"The team captain has no special status or privileges but has a degree of responsibility for the behaviour of the team"
Matchday Captain on 21:05 - Oct 11 with 1045 viewsMiss_Terraces

Matchday Captain on 13:41 - Oct 11 by Esox_Lucius

I think that is part of my point in the OP. Hill is now 5-6 years ago and if you are honest there just wouldn't be place for him in the current side as the player he was for us. We still don't have anyone who was as good as him in heading the ball clear from opponents, although BFG and Hall are pretty good, but his would be a limiting skill set in the way MW has the team set up.
I understand that a captain has to be named for the purposes of the the referee having a point of contact with a side when there is something to discuss and I think it is still in the laws that other than the player being spoken to, the only other player allowed to be involved is the captain.

Before we play our next game, we will have gone 6 months without a clean sheet. Do I think Clint could of have improved this team? Yes I do

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

Login to get fewer ads

Matchday Captain on 21:36 - Oct 11 with 1021 viewsloftus77

Matchday Captain on 12:04 - Oct 11 by timcocking

'Crap players obviously can't go around berating better players.'

Joel Lynch springs to mind here.
Matchday Captain on 22:50 - Oct 11 with 982 viewsEsox_Lucius

Matchday Captain on 21:05 - Oct 11 by Miss_Terraces

Before we play our next game, we will have gone 6 months without a clean sheet. Do I think Clint could of have improved this team? Yes I do

We never let a goal in either June or July.

Matchday Captain on 23:44 - Oct 11 with 949 viewsingeminate

Matchday Captain on 22:50 - Oct 11 by Esox_Lucius

We never let a goal in either June or July.

Clint Hill in his playing days would 100% have a spot in our current team. Improve the defence no end.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Matchday Captain on 11:27 - Oct 12 with 846 viewsEsox_Lucius

Matchday Captain on 23:44 - Oct 11 by ingeminate

Clint Hill in his playing days would 100% have a spot in our current team. Improve the defence no end.

Instead of Manning? I appreciate that Clint is the better defender but Manning has a lot more going for him in that position.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024