Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's deservedly win at Field Mill 09:32 - Nov 4 with 519 viewsdurham_exile

JM and his charges capped a memorable week for the club with a thoroughly deserved victory at Field Mill on Saturday. It was an entertaining game and one that witnessed another spectacular long-range Super U’s goal.

The day started well and initially was dry but my journey down the A1, M18 and M1 became increasingly wet. However, on arrival at the stadium the sun was shining, and it was dry. Unable to meet up with Gerry in Frankie and Benny’s restaurant (because I was late), I tucked into a steak pie and a cup of tea in the stadium. Gerry and I joined the faithful, numbering 212 in a crowd of 4,125.

Spirits were naturally high after such a euphoric week and THAT Cup draw at Old Trafford. The pitch was heavy with some surface water, not only along the half way line, but also at the Away end where the faithful were congregated.

Now Mansfield is a strange ground, they have an impressive main stand, the Quarry Lane and North stands and then the Bishop Street stand now condemned and housing the TV gantry. Frankly I know that the old terracing is unsafe, but the now boarded stand is an absolute eyesore and must surely be demolished.

Colchester lined up:

Gerken

Jackson Eastman Prosser Bramall

Senior Comley Stevenson Harriott

Poku

Nouble

On the bench:

Ross Sowunmi Brown Clampin Pell Lapslie Gambin

Mansfield were first to show with Gerken keeping out an early header but then in the 8th minute it was all about Brandon Comley who struck a fierce shot from 30 yards and it flew into the top right-hand corner. Cue great celebrations.

Colchester were on the front foot and some of their football was breath-taking. In Jackson and Bramall, they have two full backs who spend more time in the opposition half and with Ben Stevenson and Brandon Comley playing so well the passing is crisp and precise. Callum Harriott is a box of tricks on the left wing and I note that Courtney Senior has been working on his finishing to good effect.

Just as it looked as though we would reach half time with the lead, a corner was swung over, Gerken appeared to go down on the line and the ball reached the unmarked Sweeney who couldn’t miss from 2 yards out. So, JM prepared for a different half time inspirational team talk.

Whatever was said worked a treat because Kwame Poku danced around two defenders and was clumsily brought down in the box. Big Frank stepped up and took a poor penalty which Conrad Logan was able to save with aplomb. Gerry the Cat informed me that it was an ideal height for the keeper and on second viewing it was not well struck or positioned.

Frank is now taking a rest from penalty taking although both JM and his colleagues are not blaming him too much for the two misses recently. Callum Harriott is rumoured to be wanting the honour, although when fit Chuck Norris must be favourite.

Colchester still looked the team most likely to score a second, but the penalty miss lifted the Stags who temporarily got out of their rut. Logan touched a Harriott shot onto the post and it flew back and was cleared. It looked likely that JM would bring on a substitute, but he held off particularly after Courtney Senior danced around the Stags defence and scored par Logan with his left foot in the 74th minute.

The lively Poku was replaced on 82 minutes by Tom Lapslie and super sub Luke Gambin entered the fray on 85 minutes for Callum Harriott. Within two minutes of coming on the U’s were peppering the Mansfield goal and after two shots ricocheted around the penalty area the ball fell to Gambin who scored with a scuffed effort. 3-1 and a fairer reflection of the scoreline.

Then to great applause Harry Pell made a welcome return on 89 minutes for the hardworking Ben Stevenson. This is going to be JM’s big dilemma; will he be brave enough to play Pell Stevenson and Comley together. I do hope so, but he must then lose a winger unless he persists in just one striker.

We then started to hold the ball in the corner and quickly lost it and from the resultant break away Mansfield scored a second through Sterling-James in the 91st minute. The U’s were comfortable though for the next four minutes and deservedly took the points.

My previous visits to Field Mill have been drawn games and so our first victory there since 1996 was very welcome and impressive.

FGR 16 31
Bradford 16 30
Swindon 17 30
Crewe 16 30
Exeter 17 29
Cheltenham 15 28
Newport 16 27
COLCHESTER 17 26

John Dempster also had some nice things to say about our team after the game. Opinion amongst the faithful was that we must take the game to United in December and play without fear and who knows what might happen in a one-off game.

This week though is all about another cup competition with the Sky Blues the visitors to the JobServe Community Stadium on Saturday.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's deservedly win at Field Mill on 12:15 - Nov 4 with 497 viewsMoor_Pinot

Grand report Durham and nowt to disagree with. We were far the better side and deserved to win by more.

I note you avoid the defence though. We were poor defensively on Saturday and Mansfield were guilty of wasting chances we gave them. Better sides could in all fairness have swayed the result. Thank fully they didn't and some of our approach play was snappy and much more positive. In attack of course we still have no centre forward but we're getting a few goals and creating chances so maybe that's not so important as the midfield you rightly emphasise.
I too hope the management will include Pell. To do so Senior needs to be on the bench, replacing a midfielder from the Stevenson, Comley, Pell trio when they tire. Senior makes too many errors which gift the opposition the ball and leave his side stranded, he hasn't a clue how to weight a pass. His goal was nice, highlighting his on the ball skills, but he contributed little else, so there's my solution to your suggestion. We have two wingers in our full backs and I'd like to see Harriot and Poku persevered with. Poku is a very very good player and made Senior's goal supremely. I believe he's only 18 too.
Frank had another off day - he's in that spell he had this time last year where he's rather isolated and for such big man his shot power is poor and his crosses are still likely to hit the first defender. He holds the ball up well and is a better bet to find colleagues than Senior as his workrate is better too. As for the penalties, the results speak for themselves. Let Harriott take 'em if the carthorse of off sick yet again.
What pleased me mnost on Saturday was that despite the condiditions - which may have contributed to some shaky defending by both teams - was the skill levels of some of our lot. Bramhall & Jackson, Comley and Harriott are very hard to dispossess - as is Frank - and if support play is there then options open up everywhere. This - if maintained [and given our inconsistent last 4 years that would be a novelty] - could result in us climbing the table well and being much more of a challenge than many on here - me included - had anticipated. I rather regret we're not playing Bradford this week because that would give a good indication of potential. The Cup's different and we never beat Coventry so it could be that they deplete our confidence. Bring on Bradford!!

Up the U's - cracking strike by Comley wasn't it!

Moor Pinot

Super U's deservedly win at Field Mill on 13:11 - Nov 4 with 487 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's deservedly win at Field Mill on 12:15 - Nov 4 by Moor_Pinot

Grand report Durham and nowt to disagree with. We were far the better side and deserved to win by more.

I note you avoid the defence though. We were poor defensively on Saturday and Mansfield were guilty of wasting chances we gave them. Better sides could in all fairness have swayed the result. Thank fully they didn't and some of our approach play was snappy and much more positive. In attack of course we still have no centre forward but we're getting a few goals and creating chances so maybe that's not so important as the midfield you rightly emphasise.
I too hope the management will include Pell. To do so Senior needs to be on the bench, replacing a midfielder from the Stevenson, Comley, Pell trio when they tire. Senior makes too many errors which gift the opposition the ball and leave his side stranded, he hasn't a clue how to weight a pass. His goal was nice, highlighting his on the ball skills, but he contributed little else, so there's my solution to your suggestion. We have two wingers in our full backs and I'd like to see Harriot and Poku persevered with. Poku is a very very good player and made Senior's goal supremely. I believe he's only 18 too.
Frank had another off day - he's in that spell he had this time last year where he's rather isolated and for such big man his shot power is poor and his crosses are still likely to hit the first defender. He holds the ball up well and is a better bet to find colleagues than Senior as his workrate is better too. As for the penalties, the results speak for themselves. Let Harriott take 'em if the carthorse of off sick yet again.
What pleased me mnost on Saturday was that despite the condiditions - which may have contributed to some shaky defending by both teams - was the skill levels of some of our lot. Bramhall & Jackson, Comley and Harriott are very hard to dispossess - as is Frank - and if support play is there then options open up everywhere. This - if maintained [and given our inconsistent last 4 years that would be a novelty] - could result in us climbing the table well and being much more of a challenge than many on here - me included - had anticipated. I rather regret we're not playing Bradford this week because that would give a good indication of potential. The Cup's different and we never beat Coventry so it could be that they deplete our confidence. Bring on Bradford!!

Up the U's - cracking strike by Comley wasn't it!

Pinault I deliberately didn't mention the defence apart from Jackson and Bramall that is who essentially are more like wingers.

Eastman and Prosser were quiet on Saturday but such was our attacking play that the defence were not troubled too much.

Mansfields first goal was a simple mistake after Gerken fell in the goalmouth and Sweeney only had to tap it in.

I wonder whether the number of successive games has taken its toll. Good that we have six days to recover this time ahead of the cup.
Incidentally we are overdue a win against the Sky Blues.

In truth only Sowunmi is available as another centre back unless we consider or James.

Perhaps a fourth CB in January for cover for the games ahead.

Anyway bring on the Coventry City to hopefully start another cup run.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's deservedly win at Field Mill on 13:11 - Nov 4 with 487 viewsgerry_us

McGreal has got to bench big Frank for his own good.
He was abysmal Saturday playing mostly out on the wings when he should be in the penalty box waiting for the crosses. When any attack did breakdown he looked totally disinterested and just strolled around.
His penalty attempt was exceedingly poor giving the keeper a relatively easy save; not that Frank looked particularly bothered about the miss. Give him a break; with others beginning to score especially from midfield do we actually need a target man? Some of the build up Saturday was slick and played on the ground, thankfully not too many humps up the ground just looking for Frank. If he isn't there next week we may be able to continue with the slick passing game and shooting we saw Saturday.
Super U's deservedly win at Field Mill on 14:50 - Nov 4 with 474 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's deservedly win at Field Mill on 13:11 - Nov 4 by gerry_us

McGreal has got to bench big Frank for his own good.
He was abysmal Saturday playing mostly out on the wings when he should be in the penalty box waiting for the crosses. When any attack did breakdown he looked totally disinterested and just strolled around.
His penalty attempt was exceedingly poor giving the keeper a relatively easy save; not that Frank looked particularly bothered about the miss. Give him a break; with others beginning to score especially from midfield do we actually need a target man? Some of the build up Saturday was slick and played on the ground, thankfully not too many humps up the ground just looking for Frank. If he isn't there next week we may be able to continue with the slick passing game and shooting we saw Saturday.

I wouldn't disagree with that Gerry. Frank's kettle failed around now last year and only started to boil again in March. Goals are coming from elsewhere and we just don't have a CF - or attempt to persuade Frank to be one - but p'raps it's not quite as important as it was. At some stage Brown will have to be tried I suppose but I can't see Junior forcing his way back in oe Hasanally just yet.

Moor Pinot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024