Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non QPR gaming consoles 10:42 - Nov 14 with 1292 viewsloftboy

Being the wrong side of 50 I haven’t a clue, my partners daughter is at the age she wants an X box or PlayStation , any gamers out there who can enlighten me as to which one is best. Thanks

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Non QPR gaming consoles on 11:23 - Nov 14 with 1246 viewspeterlund_dk

I can't help with a comparison, but I can tell you about my experience with the PlayStation. I'm 40+ and I have a 12 year old son and a 6 year old daughter.

The PlayStation is very easy to use, and there is a huge amount of games available. Also plenty of games in the £0-15 bracket, which my bank account prefers. Furthermore, you can often find good deals, when they have sales in the PlayStation store. All the games can be purchased and downloaded though the PlayStation itself, however downloading a big game can take several hours on a slow-to-normal internet connection.

My son has plenty of games to play by himself. There are games for me to play by myself, there are games for my 6 year old daughter to play by herself, and there are games which two or all three of us can play together.

I no longer use my PC for any gaming, because gaming on the PlayStation is just so quick and easy.

My only gripe was that the PlayStation came with 500GB storage and one controller. So I had to buy an external harddrive for extra storage and two extra controllers which was £175 extra in total.

All or some of the above may be applicable for the Xbox as well, mind you.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2019 11:24]
Non QPR gaming consoles on 12:21 - Nov 14 with 1190 viewsDorse

I don't know. When I were a lad, we had a hoop and a stick and we were happy.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Non QPR gaming consoles on 12:22 - Nov 14 with 1190 viewsLythamR

There are a million + pages on the internet arguing the toss over playstation being better than xbox and visa versa you would probably go mad and be none the wiser after reading all of them.

The key seems to be to get the one that other people in a particular peer group prefer to make it easier to participated in collaborative games so i would recommend the one your partners daughter thinks she wants because they are both excellent bits of kit
Non QPR gaming consoles on 12:37 - Nov 14 with 1161 viewsrunningman75

I think Playstation is more user friendly. There is an X-Box event this weekend at the Copperbox on the Olympic park and think that x-box appears to be for more serious gamers.
Non QPR gaming consoles on 12:38 - Nov 14 with 1158 viewsstowmarketrange

Non QPR gaming consoles on 12:21 - Nov 14 by Dorse

I don't know. When I were a lad, we had a hoop and a stick and we were happy.

What no orange?
Non QPR gaming consoles on 12:41 - Nov 14 with 1151 viewspastieR

Non QPR gaming consoles on 12:22 - Nov 14 by LythamR

There are a million + pages on the internet arguing the toss over playstation being better than xbox and visa versa you would probably go mad and be none the wiser after reading all of them.

The key seems to be to get the one that other people in a particular peer group prefer to make it easier to participated in collaborative games so i would recommend the one your partners daughter thinks she wants because they are both excellent bits of kit

Not an expert, but have a PS4, as I thought it was the better option as I don't play a lot.
Also if you want the latest stuff, or cheaper system. I believe PS5 is out Feb/April next year, so the price of the PS4 will likely fall.

Edit - might actually be end of 2020
[Post edited 14 Nov 2019 12:49]
Non QPR gaming consoles on 13:13 - Nov 14 with 1098 viewsMrSheen

A minor consideration admittedly, but we binned Virgin Media and now stream our telly through my son’s old PS4. Much better feed than through Roku or Amazon Fire.
Non QPR gaming consoles on 13:31 - Nov 14 with 1070 viewspeterlund_dk

Non QPR gaming consoles on 13:13 - Nov 14 by MrSheen

A minor consideration admittedly, but we binned Virgin Media and now stream our telly through my son’s old PS4. Much better feed than through Roku or Amazon Fire.

Good point. I stream all my telly on my son's PlayStation as well, as my TV is not "smart".
Login to get fewer ads

Non QPR gaming consoles on 13:46 - Nov 14 with 1041 viewsGloucs_R

PS5 next December, I've told my lad to wait another year...

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Non QPR gaming consoles on 13:54 - Nov 14 with 1029 viewsw7r

No answer to this question - arguments rage and it's purely down to personal preference.

Somewhat embarrasingly I'm an over 50 Xbox One owner I have to say it's an excellent console. It comes down really I think to which platform your mates are on and if you want to "hang-out" online with them. I don't have any mates sad enough to own a console so I go and get shot at, beaten, scored against and generally humiliated by kids with much faster reflexes than mine.

One thing I will add is that the XBox is more than just a console it's a media hub and a really excellent one. It may be that the Sony offers much the same functionality but I don't own one so not best placed to comment, however I don't think anyone looking for a console would be disappointed to recieve either - they're both well established platforms with a great choice of games.
Non QPR gaming consoles on 14:04 - Nov 14 with 1008 viewsEsox_Lucius

65 year old Xbox One owner and before that an XBox 360 and a regular XBox before that. Not so much now but I used to have a Gold membership and play online a lot and the XBox was much better for that. I have played PS4 when visiting rellies in the US and the only real practical difference is the hand controllers don't fit as well in the palm as the XBox ones. I tend to play on my own now on sandbox/ RPG type games but occasionally head over to my grand daughters and team up. The good advice was to see which is the most popular platform among her friends and go with that.

The grass is always greener.

Non QPR gaming consoles on 14:11 - Nov 14 with 995 viewsw7r

Non QPR gaming consoles on 14:04 - Nov 14 by Esox_Lucius

65 year old Xbox One owner and before that an XBox 360 and a regular XBox before that. Not so much now but I used to have a Gold membership and play online a lot and the XBox was much better for that. I have played PS4 when visiting rellies in the US and the only real practical difference is the hand controllers don't fit as well in the palm as the XBox ones. I tend to play on my own now on sandbox/ RPG type games but occasionally head over to my grand daughters and team up. The good advice was to see which is the most popular platform among her friends and go with that.

That's funny - had original XB1, still got a 360 + One and Gold member - do you play Rainbow Six Siege by any chance?

I feel exonerated - I'm going to have to show your post to my wife and kids.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2019 14:12]
Non QPR gaming consoles on 14:13 - Nov 14 with 988 viewsClive_Anderson

PS4 is better than the XBox One IMO.

Also the new Playstation is due to come out at the end of next year, so you might want to hold off for that or possibly get a PS4 when it is reduced later on.
Non QPR gaming consoles on 16:27 - Nov 14 with 906 viewskernowhoop

What are these things?
Non QPR gaming consoles on 16:45 - Nov 14 with 894 viewsEsox_Lucius

Non QPR gaming consoles on 14:11 - Nov 14 by w7r

That's funny - had original XB1, still got a 360 + One and Gold member - do you play Rainbow Six Siege by any chance?

I feel exonerated - I'm going to have to show your post to my wife and kids.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2019 14:12]

I am absolutley shite at 1st person shoot'em ups. I have Fallout & COD etc. but mainly for when family come to stay. I also didn't get on with Elder Scrolls and the Assassins Creed series. I used to be very good at Need For Speed online (I was in the top 100 in my server area for the drag racing). I was also very good at Fable online. Current favourites are Terraria, Another Man's Sky and for Christmas I have been promised Outer Worlds. Kingsoms of Amalaur was another favourite from a few years ago.

The grass is always greener.

Non QPR gaming consoles on 17:18 - Nov 14 with 870 viewsOldPedro

Non QPR gaming consoles on 12:22 - Nov 14 by LythamR

Agree with the 2nd paragraph here - we have both Xbox and PS4 as most of my sons friends have Xbox and most of my daughters friends have PS4, so they both get to play online with their friends.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Non QPR gaming consoles on 20:03 - Nov 14 with 794 viewsDorse

Non QPR gaming consoles on 16:27 - Nov 14 by kernowhoop

What are these things?

I believe it is something to do with Scientology. XBoxians have achieved a higher level than PS4.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Non QPR gaming consoles on 20:29 - Nov 14 with 772 viewsToast_R

Quite like the Adventure games that are more story choice involvment rather than skills with a controller where Ping is King. Detroit Become Human was absolutely superb on PS4 quite enjoyed the quirky Life is Strange. Having played the award winning Last of Us Remastered when the PS4 came out, I'm now waiting on the much anticipated sequel but I'm hearing another delay on its release.

Other games Elite Dangerous - pretty cool and a throwback to my Amstrad cpc 464 days of the 80s. Playing Red Dead Redemption 2 at the moment. Blown away by the visuals on my 4k monitor with the PS4 Pro. Stunning game.

On another note, Sega have released an official Megadrive mini with 40 odd preinstalled classic games. Going to buy my 5 year old son one for xmas, he likes Sonic already, will teach him the ways of Streets of Rage, SFII Turbo and Road Rash.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2019 20:35]
Non QPR gaming consoles on 21:59 - Nov 14 with 728 viewsloftboy

Thanks people, she’s ordered an Xbox.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024