Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Review of the Season so far - Up the U's 22:27 - Dec 2 with 606 viewsdurham_exile

As we approach our 27th game of a very eventful season it is worth reflecting on our performances so far.

A look at the league table indicates just how close things are at the top of League Two:

Swindon 19 36
FGR 19 35
Crewe 19 34
Exeter 19 33
Cheltenham 18 31
Northampton 19 31
Bradford 18 31
Plymouth 18 29
Port Vale 19 28
COL U 18 27
Newport 17 27
Salford 19 25

In the league we have played 18 games and have 7 Victories 6 Draws and 5 Defeats. Salford City are in Town on Saturday in a vital encounter, but it is tomorrow’s EFL Trophy game against Stevenage that offers another opportunity for progression in the Cups.

Last season our record was P 46 W 20 D 10 L 16 F 65 A 42 23 70 points

JM has used 27 players this season, 13 of which have scored goals and Chuck Norris is our top scorer with 7 goals

Player Starts Subs Total Goals Assists

Eastman 24 1 25 3 2
Senior 21 4 25 3 2
Nouble 24 0 24 3 4
Prosser 23 0 24 1 1
Gerken 23 0 23
Jackson 20 3 23 2 0
Norris 17 6 23 7 1
Comley 17 2 19 2 1
Stevenson 16 3 19 1 0
Gambin 5 14 19 2 0
Brown 9 8 17 0 1
Poku 13 3 16 2 4
Lapslie 11 5 16 0 1
Bramall 15 0 15 0 3
Robinson 7 6 13 4 3
Clampin 11 0 11 1 1
Wiredu 8 2 10 0 1
Cowan-Hall 3 5 8 2 0
Harriott 3 4 7 0 1
Sowunmi 4 2 6
Pell 3 1 4
Chilvers 2 1 3
James 0 3 3
Vincent-Young 2 0 2
Hasanally 0 2 2
Kensdale 1 0 1 0 1

If JM achieves promotion for the Super U’s this season and perhaps a Wembley EFL Trophy finalist and (dare to dream) a Semi-Final appearance in the EFL Cup, there will be a clamour for his Canonisation in certain circles.

It will be all the more remarkable after yet another poor start to the season which suggested that the club would struggle but it was the EFL Cup that transformed our season with an unlikely victory over Swindon followed by a superb performance at Crystal Palace which was followed by a Leasing Trophy victory at Gillingham. Suddenly league form was improved and another comfortable victory against Swindon saw us prepare for Spurs in the EFL Cup. The only blight since then was the defeat to Coventry in the F A Cup when they played their best game of the season and we were frankly poor in the first half.

The International break with three of our players all playing for their respective countries meant an unusual break in our season which strangely left us below par at Cheltenham (notwithstanding the dodgy penalty) where Courtney Senior missed a golden chance to seal the points in the first half when well placed.

Of those players who have shone this season some are obvious like Tom Eastman and after a slow start Luke Prosser. Ryan Jackson and Cohen Bramall have been a dependable back four.

Dean Gerken has brought stability and experience to the Goalkeeping position at a time when we needed an injection of experience and ability in that position. Ross is an able deputy.

It is the midfield where JM now has an embarrassment of riches. Brandon Comley is the most improved player of the season. Ben Stevenson is stronger every game and we now have a fit Harry Pell back in harness. Tom Lapslie remains a tigerish performer in the centre of the park.

JM has yet to determine his best wingers with Senior, Harriott, Cowan-Hall, and Gambin, all vying for starts.

In the striking department JM has Chuck Norris, Frank Nouble and loanee Theo Robinson together with young Poku who has a bright future in the game. The newly returned Junior can expect starts around Christmas especially if Robinson returns to Southend.

Damp squib of the season sadly is Jevani Brown who has failed to live up to his billing and frankly it started against Cambridge when he was abysmal. In fairness JM has not played him in the position that he was bought for as a Szmodics replacement. Things can only get better has someone once opined.

If Stevenage are once again vanquished tomorrow evening, then we can look forward to the match against Salford and then after locking horns against Scunny we play at Old Trafford in our biggest game for many years. Old Trafford and Manchester United are neither the force nor the threat that they once were, and I am firmly of the belief that we can prevail on December 18th.

Good times to be a Colchester United supporter — you bet it is.

UTU’s

Durham_exile

Review of the Season so far - Up the U's on 06:07 - Dec 3 with 578 viewsbwildered

Thanks for the U's manifesto to date.

But just like the political pariies lots of promise , however can we trust the leader !
Like similar . No overall control over proceedings .

Can we get a Leaguetwoexit ?
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 6:07]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Review of the Season so far - Up the U's on 08:28 - Dec 3 with 569 viewsgerry_us

Does McG's canonisation mean putting him in front of a cannon?
Review of the Season so far - Up the U's on 14:21 - Dec 3 with 547 viewsdurham_exile

Review of the Season so far - Up the U's on 06:07 - Dec 3 by bwildered

Thanks for the U's manifesto to date.

But just like the political pariies lots of promise , however can we trust the leader !
Like similar . No overall control over proceedings .

Can we get a Leaguetwoexit ?
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 6:07]

JM stated in his manifesto - "I am returning to the hustings in an attempt to secure a majority of points in the League Two promotion battle.

Trust me when I say that about promotion - you can take that to the bank!

There will be no hung play off situation and the necessity to vie with other teams, we are going for outright promotion this season and to be elevated to the Peerage via the Semi-Finals of the Cup or Trophy.

I will be making an early statement in January concerning a real big hitter who will be joining the team when the transfer window reopens. Someone with all the right credentials to achieve promotion.

My priorities are simple:

Promotion through a simple majority
A Cup Final
A Trophy

In short support Colchester to achieve all these things. Any other League Two team will not achieve the best outcome for our players and loyal supporters.

The Electorate in Colchester deserve the best not a pale imitation from just up the road with a former leader who changed sides or a team in free fall near the Thames Estuary with a famous former footballer who has yet to prove himself in this League.

In short only JM will get things done right and will achieve the ultimate aim for this Team.

You know it makes sense"

UTU's

Durham_exile

Review of the Season so far - Up the U's on 21:49 - Dec 3 with 532 viewsGOSBTS

Very big month coming up for the U's. 4 home games (if you include New Years Day) and 2 away games, all on paper very winnable games (bar maybe Exeter).

I'd like to see Norris played more, starting Saturday. Part of me wonders whether Norris' proving runs would yield fruit with Brown playing just off of him in the Szmodics role. Wouldn't mind seeing a 4-4-4-2 with Nouble and Senior on the wings, Brown and Norris down the middle. Not that Brown has earned a start, but there must be something more in him than what we've witnessed already!
Review of the Season so far - Up the U's on 11:53 - Dec 4 with 520 viewsdurham_exile

Review of the Season so far - Up the U's on 21:49 - Dec 3 by GOSBTS

Very big month coming up for the U's. 4 home games (if you include New Years Day) and 2 away games, all on paper very winnable games (bar maybe Exeter).

I'd like to see Norris played more, starting Saturday. Part of me wonders whether Norris' proving runs would yield fruit with Brown playing just off of him in the Szmodics role. Wouldn't mind seeing a 4-4-4-2 with Nouble and Senior on the wings, Brown and Norris down the middle. Not that Brown has earned a start, but there must be something more in him than what we've witnessed already!

GOSBTS I would love to see a 4,4,4,2 formation but I reckon even a referee of the calibre of last night would realise we had too many players on the park!!! But not until the second half!!!

I know what you mean though.

The Brown issue is difficult - he came amidst Great Expectations, but has proven to be a very Bleak House. I don't know what the Dickens to make of it.

His opening paragraph in a Tale of Two Cities (currently a superb ad on TV) is sublime.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us"

That is the lot of a Colchester United supporter!!!!!

Bring on the Salford Red devils

UTU's

Durham_exile

Review of the Season so far - Up the U's on 15:09 - Dec 4 with 508 viewsnoah4x4

My recollection of the first lines of Bleak House include some mention of NOT encountering a megalosaurus on a hill (well that’s a crop of shi5 then, no dinosaurs). But it is 50 years since I failed English Lit. That experience and being forced to read “Cider with Rosie” put me off reading novels not involving Narnia for the rest of my lifetime. But wonder if I should pick up Dickens now?
Review of the Season so far - Up the U's on 21:37 - Dec 4 with 491 viewsGOSBTS

Review of the Season so far - Up the U's on 11:53 - Dec 4 by durham_exile

GOSBTS I would love to see a 4,4,4,2 formation but I reckon even a referee of the calibre of last night would realise we had too many players on the park!!! But not until the second half!!!

I know what you mean though.

The Brown issue is difficult - he came amidst Great Expectations, but has proven to be a very Bleak House. I don't know what the Dickens to make of it.

His opening paragraph in a Tale of Two Cities (currently a superb ad on TV) is sublime.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us"

That is the lot of a Colchester United supporter!!!!!

Bring on the Salford Red devils

UTU's

Oops yes, 4-4-2, although the extra four players would be helpful

I've only been following the U's for a couple of seasons and even I can see that the quote from Dickens is painfully accurate!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024