Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ruiz versus Joshua2 20:15 - Dec 5 with 942 viewsnoah4x4

Was at Joshua v Povetkin at Wembley and at the first Ruiz fight in NYC. Both awesome nights, but markedly different outcomes. We decided against a trip to Saudi Arabia due to its human rights record (and no alcohol!), but all set up for a big night in front of the TV with my boxing mad pals on Saturday after the U's record a victory over Salford.

BTW, if going to the match, I believe that it is being shown at the Dog & Pheasant (10:00pm walk on) if you don't have access to Sky TV. Great line up on the undercard...from 17:00 on Sky Box Office, so a good move by the Dog & P.

Michael Hunter v Povetkin
Dillian Whyte v Markius Wach
Filip Hrgovic v Eric Molina
Mahammad Majidov v Tom Little (don't think that one is televised).

Anybody else planning to watch? Sorry, I already have a house full else I would invite you round.

I do fear another upset. Frankly, I have never seen a boxer with hand speed as fast or as powerful as Ruiz since Ali. Ruiz is also looking markedly fitter than he did during the first fight in June where Joshua was strangely careless. William Hill is offering an incredible 25/1 for a Joshua win (but paid in winning bets) to NEW customers. I don't normally bet, but it might be worth a quid, albeit unless I put my free bets on the Happy League I suspect I will eventually lose my stake...
[Post edited 5 Dec 2019 20:18]
Ruiz versus Joshua2 on 21:25 - Dec 5 with 928 viewsdurham_exile

Noah my boxing knowledge is virtually non existent but I watched the first Ruiz v AJ fight on TV
I would imagine it was something special in NYC.

My point is did AJ throw the fight because he didn't seem interested and seemed strangely off the pace throughout.

Outrageous suggestion perhaps but I didn't see Ruiz worrying him at all.

But then I know nothing about boxing!

UTU's

Durham_exile

Ruiz versus Joshua2 on 22:18 - Dec 5 with 922 viewsnoah4x4

Durham, in MSG Ruiz was outboxed in the early rounds and frankly, Joshua was cruising it, easily putting Ruiz on the canvass. But Joshua then got sloppy and complacent and Ruiz can evidently take a punch; Joshua dropped his gloves and Ruiz pounced like a ferocious predator in a jungle having found a rabbit in headlights.

Ruiz hand speed and power was awesome. Joshua rocked and his legs wobbled and went down. In the following three rounds, a clearly dazed Joshua tried to dance out of trouble jabbing from a distance but Ruiz was like a bulldozer. Joshua never recovered. Upset of the decade, if not the century. The rubbish peddled by the journalists post fight was probably an attempt to justify their wrong predictions. Joshua looked no less confident during the walk on. But made a basic error in the ring. Didn't sufficiently respect Ruiz after putting him on his back.

Joshua almost did something similar against Dillon Whyte when he took the British Title. Joshua, had (then) never gone beyond four rounds before knocking out his opponent. Whyte hit the canvass then got up to rock Joshua like Ruiz, but Joshua stayed strong and downed him in the seventh, which was new territory for both.

The question for me, is if Joshua hasn't KO'ed his opponent by round eight, can he go the distance against a steam-hammer puncher? He failed against Ruiz. It would be great to see him against Wilder or Fury, which surely must follow the expection of knocking out Ruiz in the fourth. But if it goes beyond seven rounds, who knows. But with 93,781,598 Saudi Riyals in his pocket will AJ be bothered?

BTW, our small band of boxing fans had tickets for Nigel Benns come back in Birmingham which got cancelled. Fortunately we recovered ticket payments and hotel deposits. Probably no bad thing as getting out of Cheltenham post footie match wasn't easy. Real shame as we had turned down tickets to watch Colchester Boxing Club event in favour of the dual appeal of the U's beating the Robins and Benn winning too. Neither happened.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2019 22:27]
Ruiz versus Joshua2 on 22:40 - Dec 5 with 908 viewsdurham_exile

Ruiz versus Joshua2 on 22:18 - Dec 5 by noah4x4

Durham, in MSG Ruiz was outboxed in the early rounds and frankly, Joshua was cruising it, easily putting Ruiz on the canvass. But Joshua then got sloppy and complacent and Ruiz can evidently take a punch; Joshua dropped his gloves and Ruiz pounced like a ferocious predator in a jungle having found a rabbit in headlights.

Ruiz hand speed and power was awesome. Joshua rocked and his legs wobbled and went down. In the following three rounds, a clearly dazed Joshua tried to dance out of trouble jabbing from a distance but Ruiz was like a bulldozer. Joshua never recovered. Upset of the decade, if not the century. The rubbish peddled by the journalists post fight was probably an attempt to justify their wrong predictions. Joshua looked no less confident during the walk on. But made a basic error in the ring. Didn't sufficiently respect Ruiz after putting him on his back.

Joshua almost did something similar against Dillon Whyte when he took the British Title. Joshua, had (then) never gone beyond four rounds before knocking out his opponent. Whyte hit the canvass then got up to rock Joshua like Ruiz, but Joshua stayed strong and downed him in the seventh, which was new territory for both.

The question for me, is if Joshua hasn't KO'ed his opponent by round eight, can he go the distance against a steam-hammer puncher? He failed against Ruiz. It would be great to see him against Wilder or Fury, which surely must follow the expection of knocking out Ruiz in the fourth. But if it goes beyond seven rounds, who knows. But with 93,781,598 Saudi Riyals in his pocket will AJ be bothered?

BTW, our small band of boxing fans had tickets for Nigel Benns come back in Birmingham which got cancelled. Fortunately we recovered ticket payments and hotel deposits. Probably no bad thing as getting out of Cheltenham post footie match wasn't easy. Real shame as we had turned down tickets to watch Colchester Boxing Club event in favour of the dual appeal of the U's beating the Robins and Benn winning too. Neither happened.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2019 22:27]

Noah many thanks for the detailed assessment.

What do you think will happen this weekend will AJ prevail this time.

If not his career must be seriously over I would have thought.

Anyway enjoy the fight

UTU's

Durham_exile

Ruiz versus Joshua2 on 21:45 - Dec 6 with 867 viewsnoah4x4

News from weigh in....

Joshua 10lb lighter than he was in June.
Ruiz is 15 heavier.
Ruiz versus Joshua2 on 22:11 - Dec 6 with 862 viewsLeadbelly

Ruiz versus Joshua2 on 21:45 - Dec 6 by noah4x4

News from weigh in....

Joshua 10lb lighter than he was in June.
Ruiz is 15 heavier.

Big deal! I’m 9lbs lighter than I was on Monday last week.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Ruiz versus Joshua2 on 23:14 - Dec 6 with 860 viewsgerry_us

Ruiz versus Joshua2 on 22:11 - Dec 6 by Leadbelly

Big deal! I’m 9lbs lighter than I was on Monday last week.

Copy me your diet please.
Ruiz versus Joshua2 on 06:34 - Dec 7 with 850 viewsLeadbelly

Ruiz versus Joshua2 on 23:14 - Dec 6 by gerry_us

Copy me your diet please.

Stomach bug. Not recommended Gerry!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Ruiz versus Joshua2 on 22:38 - Dec 7 with 825 viewsnoah4x4

What a performance by AJ. Reminded me of Ali at his best,

Bring on the winner of Wilder v Fury. At Wembley please!
Login to get fewer ads

Ruiz versus Joshua2 on 00:13 - Dec 8 with 811 viewsdurham_exile

Ruiz versus Joshua2 on 22:38 - Dec 7 by noah4x4

What a performance by AJ. Reminded me of Ali at his best,

Bring on the winner of Wilder v Fury. At Wembley please!

Noah I note that in the ring after the fight both AJ and AR stated there would be a third fight.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Ruiz versus Joshua2 on 08:26 - Dec 8 with 807 viewsnoah4x4

Ruiz versus Joshua2 on 00:13 - Dec 8 by durham_exile

Noah I note that in the ring after the fight both AJ and AR stated there would be a third fight.

UTU's

Just sporting talk between two respectful opponents Durham. I don't think it likely.

Eddie Hearn and Wilder/Fury management will dictate the next steps and the only thing missing in Joshua' s trophy cabinet is unification to become undisputed champion of the world. Same with Wilder (or Fury) but they have to settle the score between them.

Like Joshua did with Ruiz, Fury has to avoid being downed by a sucker punch from Wilder and use similar tactics. Then Joshua versus Fury could be the biggest fight since Ali versus Frazier as it will bring together (IMHO) the two best (boxing) heavyweights of all time. Just hope it isn't in Saudi Arabia. The many empty seats said everything. Fans want Wembley, MSG or Vegas.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024