Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I-Tunes help advice needed please. 12:53 - Dec 15 with 1988 viewsted_hendrix

I'm struggling to transfer my I-Tunes library to an SD card for use in the car, I can transfer music that I've purchased from I-Tunes from my I-Tunes library to the SD card with ease but when I try and transfer the music from my I-Tunes library that I put in my library years ago It will not have it, It will copy the highlighted songs but when I try and paste them to the SD card nothing happens!!
I'm not IT brainy in fact I'm not brainy at all but someone somewhere must know where I'm going wrong?
I've got a Dell Inspiron 17 5000 Series if that means anything.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 14:01 - Dec 15 with 1949 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ted,

iTunes doesn't allow it for some reason.

Haven't used iTunes for a few years but I used to use Senuti to transfer tunes out of the library. If I remeber it was easy to use and it never caused me any problems.

Hope it works.

https://tunesgo.wondershare.net/ad/ios/music.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA0NfvBRCVARIsAO49

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 14:56 - Dec 15 with 1927 viewsCamberleyR

Ted, I assume you are using the iTunes interface to try and transfer, does it not work if you copy the files directly from Windows Explorer (i.e. the folders on your hard drive where the actual music files are?

On Windows 10, the path to the files in iTunes should be:

C:|Users|<user profile>|Music|iTunes|iTunes Media|Music
[Post edited 15 Dec 2019 14:59]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 20:32 - Dec 15 with 1852 viewsted_hendrix

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 14:01 - Dec 15 by BrianMcCarthy

Ted,

iTunes doesn't allow it for some reason.

Haven't used iTunes for a few years but I used to use Senuti to transfer tunes out of the library. If I remeber it was easy to use and it never caused me any problems.

Hope it works.

https://tunesgo.wondershare.net/ad/ios/music.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA0NfvBRCVARIsAO49

Worked for a bit Brian but wouldn't transfer anymore tunes until I signed in and registered at a cost.
But cheers anyway, for a moment I thought I/We'd cracked it.

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 20:35 - Dec 15 with 1849 viewsted_hendrix

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 14:56 - Dec 15 by CamberleyR

Ted, I assume you are using the iTunes interface to try and transfer, does it not work if you copy the files directly from Windows Explorer (i.e. the folders on your hard drive where the actual music files are?

On Windows 10, the path to the files in iTunes should be:

C:|Users|<user profile>|Music|iTunes|iTunes Media|Music
[Post edited 15 Dec 2019 14:59]

No luck with that mate, It's all a bit gobbledygook if you ask me gonna give it a rest for a bit and try again tomorrow, but cheers anyway (appreciated).

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 14:24 - Dec 17 with 1698 viewspeejaybee

Its situations like this that make me buy the Dummies Books but most times not even they help, so am wondering if there is a series of For Dumb Dummies Books.Does anyone know.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 14:45 - Dec 17 with 1680 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 14:24 - Dec 17 by peejaybee

Its situations like this that make me buy the Dummies Books but most times not even they help, so am wondering if there is a series of For Dumb Dummies Books.Does anyone know.

I got something like that once, but couldn't read it.

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 14:55 - Dec 17 with 1671 viewsMick_S

No shit:

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 16:27 - Dec 17 with 1635 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Ted, let's try this from another angle. When you say that you put your own music in the i-Tunes library years ago, how did you do this?
[Post edited 17 Dec 2019 16:35]
Login to get fewer ads

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 20:07 - Dec 17 with 1562 viewsted_hendrix

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 16:27 - Dec 17 by Benny_the_Ball

Ted, let's try this from another angle. When you say that you put your own music in the i-Tunes library years ago, how did you do this?
[Post edited 17 Dec 2019 16:35]

Using the DVD player on the lap top I just downloaded all my music CD's straight into I-Tunes and from there created playlists, over the years I've purchased music direct from I-Tunes direct into my I-Tunes library.
I can copy the I-Tunes purchased music direct onto the SD card easily (copy &paste) but when I copy my other albums that I downloaded (not the purchased ones from I-Tunes) it will copy the songs okay but it will not paste them onto the SD card.

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 20:22 - Dec 17 with 1542 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 20:07 - Dec 17 by ted_hendrix

Using the DVD player on the lap top I just downloaded all my music CD's straight into I-Tunes and from there created playlists, over the years I've purchased music direct from I-Tunes direct into my I-Tunes library.
I can copy the I-Tunes purchased music direct onto the SD card easily (copy &paste) but when I copy my other albums that I downloaded (not the purchased ones from I-Tunes) it will copy the songs okay but it will not paste them onto the SD card.

Ted,

As far as I remember iTunes won't let you do it as for unpurchased music for copyright reasons.

I think you need an external app to get around it.

Can anyone else conform this?

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 20:35 - Dec 17 with 1524 viewsCamberleyR

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 20:22 - Dec 17 by BrianMcCarthy

Ted,

As far as I remember iTunes won't let you do it as for unpurchased music for copyright reasons.

I think you need an external app to get around it.

Can anyone else conform this?

Not sure what's going on. Just tried myself from the iTunes interface and I can copy and paste songs purchased directly from iTunes and also songs that I have ripped directly from my own CDs onto an external device (a USB external hard drive) which would be the same as copying to an SD card.

EDIT: Just tried to open the copied files from the external hard drive and can open both with iTunes and also Kodi so I'm stumped.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2019 20:39]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 20:41 - Dec 17 with 1507 viewsted_hendrix

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 20:35 - Dec 17 by CamberleyR

Not sure what's going on. Just tried myself from the iTunes interface and I can copy and paste songs purchased directly from iTunes and also songs that I have ripped directly from my own CDs onto an external device (a USB external hard drive) which would be the same as copying to an SD card.

EDIT: Just tried to open the copied files from the external hard drive and can open both with iTunes and also Kodi so I'm stumped.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2019 20:39]

I ripped all my CD's years ago straight onto I-Tunes, I don't have the CD's anymore (charity shop) so consequently I'm trying to C&P those tunes direct from my I-Tunes library (playlists)

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 20:42 - Dec 17 with 1505 viewsted_hendrix

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 20:54 - Dec 17 with 1490 viewsJuzzie

For use in the car get a Bluetooth dongle that goes into your lighter socket. Pair it with your phone/tablet, tune it into the nominated FM frequency and job done..... music through your speakers.

Ripped CD’s should be ok to move around but when you stream songs you are effectively renting/borrowing them, you do not own them. They are encoded (it’s called DRM I think, Digital Rights Management) to stop them being copied onto CD’s, memory cards etc.

I know people who decided not to renew their subscription then couldn’t understand why all the playlists and albums they had selected were no longer available.

By all means try and find illegal ways around this but remember, it’s not a ‘victimless crime’ as I’ve heard so many people say over the years starting with the days of Napster etc in the late 90’s.

I know lots of people who have lost their jobs, its real. I’m holding on by the skin of my teeth having survived at least three rounds of redundancies, the most recent was in February this year. Who knows if I’ll be so lucky next time.

Just saying all this to discourage please people from suggesting ways to copy unpurchased music. Thank you.

[Post edited 17 Dec 2019 21:02]
I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 21:15 - Dec 17 with 1479 viewsted_hendrix

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 20:54 - Dec 17 by Juzzie

For use in the car get a Bluetooth dongle that goes into your lighter socket. Pair it with your phone/tablet, tune it into the nominated FM frequency and job done..... music through your speakers.

Ripped CD’s should be ok to move around but when you stream songs you are effectively renting/borrowing them, you do not own them. They are encoded (it’s called DRM I think, Digital Rights Management) to stop them being copied onto CD’s, memory cards etc.

I know people who decided not to renew their subscription then couldn’t understand why all the playlists and albums they had selected were no longer available.

By all means try and find illegal ways around this but remember, it’s not a ‘victimless crime’ as I’ve heard so many people say over the years starting with the days of Napster etc in the late 90’s.

I know lots of people who have lost their jobs, its real. I’m holding on by the skin of my teeth having survived at least three rounds of redundancies, the most recent was in February this year. Who knows if I’ll be so lucky next time.

Just saying all this to discourage please people from suggesting ways to copy unpurchased music. Thank you.

[Post edited 17 Dec 2019 21:02]

Take on board what you say and I understand and have no problem with It, just got fed up plugging in the mini I-Pad into the car all the time hence why I got meself an SD card thinking that's it great no more I-Pad, I just thought it would automatically transfer all my I-Tunes libraries.

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 21:28 - Dec 17 with 1467 viewsJuzzie

Sadly not. A lot of modern cars have the ability to connect your phone/tablet direct but older cars have to go down the cigarette lighter dongle method or if you don't mind cables the use Aux if the car has one.
Luckily I ripped literally hundreds of CD’s over the years so was able to transfer them onto an SD card and play them in the car, also via a dongle but one day I’ll upgrade the unit and get one that has an SD card slot built in.
That’s all ok to do just as long as I don't share them with other people!
I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 21:43 - Dec 17 with 1459 viewsted_hendrix

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 21:28 - Dec 17 by Juzzie

Sadly not. A lot of modern cars have the ability to connect your phone/tablet direct but older cars have to go down the cigarette lighter dongle method or if you don't mind cables the use Aux if the car has one.
Luckily I ripped literally hundreds of CD’s over the years so was able to transfer them onto an SD card and play them in the car, also via a dongle but one day I’ll upgrade the unit and get one that has an SD card slot built in.
That’s all ok to do just as long as I don't share them with other people!

My car is just over a year old and has the SD slot fitted behind the music system fascia so I thought I might as well use the SD card way of playing my music back.

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 22:10 - Dec 17 with 1451 viewsTripper

You should be able to convert your playlists into MP3 files and then export onto your SD card.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-convert-playlists-into-mp3-files-in-it
I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 13:41 - Dec 18 with 1289 viewsLazyFan

The lesson here is to stop using DRM services. Just stop using Apple.

The more you use them, the bigger the hole you dig to climb out of it.
And you will be climbing out of it, you will.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzz

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 16:24 - Dec 18 with 1248 viewsJuzzie

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 13:41 - Dec 18 by LazyFan

The lesson here is to stop using DRM services. Just stop using Apple.

The more you use them, the bigger the hole you dig to climb out of it.
And you will be climbing out of it, you will.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Same with Spotify, Deezer, Amazon music and all the others.

Keep buying CD’s and LP’s, that’s the answer.
You can then rip, copy, transfer etc to your hearts content. Just as long as you don’t give or sell to other people of course.

Yes, I may seem biased (as physical product is the core part of my job) but I can feel maybe all is not lost for physical formats, certainly in the UK. They’re still strong in Japan but in the US it’s all about streaming. The bottom has fallen out of physical manufacturing and distribution over there.

Little by little I hear people finding out about the restrictions of having streaming and while everything is rosy while you subscribe it starts to get awkward when people don't want to pay anymore and cancel (I’m sure costs will go up just as Sky have done) or you want to be more portable, as Ted is trying to do, and the complications that go with it.

Part of the problem is that I feel there has always been an undercurrent that music should be free, hence the feeling that copying/sharing is a victimless crime.

In 2012 LOCOG wanted mainstream artists, I’m talking the top ones here not pub singers, to perform for free while the Olympics were on. They genuinely thought it was a reasonable request “because it’s the Olympics”.
Did they ask all the stadium construction workers, the chippies, the sparkys, the caterers and thousands of other workers to all work for free? No, I don’t think they did so why should they think musicians should.
My dad is a retired musician and he had this all his life.

So guys and girls, keep buying physical music :)

[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 16:36]
I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 16:30 - Dec 18 with 1242 viewsBenny_the_Ball

I-Tunes help advice needed please. on 20:07 - Dec 17 by ted_hendrix

Ah, shame. That's the key with I-Tunes - never rip CDs directly into it's library. I ripped my CDs using Windows Media Player and then imported the resultant mp3s into I-Tunes. This way I can copy the mp3s from Windows Explorer to other media such as SD cards.

You'll need to convert the I-Tunes library to mp3 files (I recommend backing up the library beforehand). Then back up the resultant mp3 files so you never lose your music collection. Tripper has provided a decent link but for convenience here are the basic steps:

1. Open iTunes Preferences from the Edit > Preferences menu (from the iTunes > Preferences menu on a Mac). If you're using Windows and do not have an Edit menu, press Ctrl+B to activate the menu bar.

2. Click the General button, then click the Importing Settings… button in the lower section of the window.

3. From the Import Using pop-up menu, choose MP3 Encoder, then click OK to save the settings.

4. Select one or more songs in your library, right click (ctrl+click on a Mac) on them, then choose Create MP3 Version.

5. To see the actual file, right click (ctrl+click on a Mac) on the song(s) then click Show in Windows Explorer (or Show in Finder on a Mac).

If for whatever reason the files don't convert (e.g. it only works for purchased music) then you'll need to consider 3rd party software such as:

https://download.cnet.com/Converter-for-iTunes/3000-18551_4-75623226.html

Obviously you try any of the above at your own risk. A bit of research and care before you begin is advised.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024