Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS 19:28 - Jan 17 with 1891 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester United play hosts to Macclesfield Town at the JSCS this weekend completing a trilogy of fixtures against the leagues bottom three sides. We are overdue a victory and I reckon it will come tomorrow in a 5-1 rout of the Silkmen.

Now forget all about the new management at Moss Rose - Mark Kennedy, the on and off field problems, the debts of £360K (£180K owed each to HMRC and Sol Campbell), the adjourned High Court winding up order until 26 March 2020 and the docking of 6 points following their failure to fulfil the Crewe Alexandra fixture; this is a game that Colchester have to win and win well.

There can be no more excuses, despite 12 games unbeaten (7 draws and 5 victories) it still leaves us short of the top three, which must be the aim this season. Automatic Promotion, after failure to reach the play offs in the previous seasons is what JM and his charges must aim for.

It has been an eventful week with Theo Robinson returning to the JSCS for the rest of the season.

In other news Sammie Szmodics has made the journey on loan from Bristol City to Peterborough for the rest of the season and today Brennan Dickenson has moved until the end of the season from MK Dons to Exeter.

JM is keen to bring in a full back but so far none has materialised. Our injuries continue to mount:

Cohen Bramall - ankle injury
Courtney Senior — groin injury
Paris Cowan-Hall — long term achilles injury
Omar Sowunmi — soft tissue injury

Ryan Jackson — one match ban after his red card at Morecambe

Now JM has hinted that he might change the line-up, but as Cameron James is not being recalled we effectively have no Centre Half cover and so three at the back is unlikely. It is more likely that he will play Tom Lapslie at Right Back with Eastman, Prosser and Clampin.

This of course leaves the midfield predicament. Can he at long last play Pell, Stevenson and Comley as a midfield triumvirate. I suspect sadly not because for some reason he currently ignores Comley (our most improved player of the season). Therefore, with only Pell and Stevenson in midfield he can play the following four up front.

Junior and Robinson with Poku and Nouble in support. But is he positive enough to do so? Junior needs to play as a number 9 and Robinson will support him. Big Frank wide on the wing and Kwame Poku as the number 10.

If JM is serious about scoring goals then give Junior the opportunity to shine and let him play the full 90 minutes.

Now JM likes Harriott and Gambin especially as we are missing Senior, but recently Gambin has been ineffective and Harriott, despite his talent, has been trying too many step overs and defenders have worked him out.

So, let us try the following tomorrow:

Gerken

Lapslie Eastman Prosser Clampin

Pell Stevenson

Poku Nouble

Junior Robinson

Subs:

Ross Kensdale Fernandes Comley Norris Hutchinson Harriott

This team has goals in it, and we need to score early and take the game to them from the outset. Not only will a handsome victory give us the confidence to tackle more exacting games, but also the three points will kick start our promotion push after four successive drawn games.

Table:

Swindon 27 53
Exeter 26 50
Cheltenham 26 44
Crewe 25 44
Plymouth 25 44
Bradford 26 44
FGR 27 44
Northampton 26 42
COL U 26 41

Bottom:

Macclesfield 25 24
Morecambe 27 22
Stevenage 27 19

The weather in Colchester tomorrow will be sunny with a high of 7 degrees Celsius. More importantly it will be dry (after some recent heavy rain and strong winds).

The faithful were present at Stevenage in very good number (749) and 100 travelled to Morecambe so we can hope for close to 4,000 tomorrow to witness a home victory.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 20:17 - Jan 18 with 849 viewsbwildered

What we have learn't from recent team selection is that the retained list, considering overall squad will likely be , Diaz Wright, Junior and Dunne come the season end.
After getting a two nil lead, a game we failed to boss, and with a half time break to reassess and assemble.
A goal worthy of goal of the season by Harriott and with Poku also showing this talent, failing to progress in the second half led to uncertainty.
Sterner test lay ahead, still very much in our own hands, just need belief and conviction from within to know it is possible

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 21:00 - Jan 18 with 838 viewsthrillseeker

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 17:56 - Jan 18 by Leadbelly

A welcome three points but very much despite McGreal who killed it stone dead with his masterful substitutions. Soon as Stevenson, who was running midfield, was replaced Macclesfield had so much more of the game.

General observation is that League 2 football is dire and with McGreal at the helm we can look forward to a lot more of it. We won the game but there was absolutely nothing to make me hurry back...even goal of the season contender from Harriott.

I thought Stevenson was exceptional today along with Eastman.

Very disappointed with Robinson & Nouble today.

I'm really not sure Junior is the answer but I think he deserves a chance.

Got to say it was cold at ground today.

Need 3 points Tuesday
Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 21:13 - Jan 18 with 835 viewsGOSBTS

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 21:00 - Jan 18 by thrillseeker

I thought Stevenson was exceptional today along with Eastman.

Very disappointed with Robinson & Nouble today.

I'm really not sure Junior is the answer but I think he deserves a chance.

Got to say it was cold at ground today.

Need 3 points Tuesday

Yes it was ruddy freezing! The cold had set in my legs at the end. It was my wife's uncle's first game and his three take home points were: wear more, eat more and drink more, all to keep warm! A reminder to wear plenty of layers on Tuesday night.
Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 14:20 - Jan 19 with 771 viewsdurham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 21:13 - Jan 18 by GOSBTS

Yes it was ruddy freezing! The cold had set in my legs at the end. It was my wife's uncle's first game and his three take home points were: wear more, eat more and drink more, all to keep warm! A reminder to wear plenty of layers on Tuesday night.

GOSBTS one of the strange things about the JSCS is the cold factor which I reckon is largely because of the corners which will only be filled in and the East Stand increased if the capacity is increased to 18,000.

When the stadium was constructed the appropriate foundations were installed.

And in the future if we were ever to achieve a sustained period in the championship then the ground would be enhanced.

Clearly that is years away but the option is there.

Considering Colchester is one of the driest parts of the country and the climate is good the stadium can be really a cold and chilling place. Weather wise of course!

Certain stadia can be as cold. Carlisle, Oldham, Morecambe, Fleetwood and Sunderland are grounds that spring to mind.

Old Trafford has its own micro climate and the temperature can vary by as much as 5 degrees depending upon where you are sitting.

Anyway pleased you witnessed a victory and hopefully that will be repeated on Tuesday. I really rate the Bantams even though some of their results have been iffy. They will be there at the end of the season.

Tuesday is a huge game and three points will help before St James's Park next Saturday.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 18:30 - Jan 19 with 745 viewswessex_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 18:09 - Jan 18 by durham_exile

Opinion on the board is clearly divided over Junior just as it was over Bonne.

Macca Bonne is playing well for Charlton.

Colchester brought Junior back from Derry and JM made it clear that after checking his fitness then Junior would play for the first team.

I have probably seen every minute he has played for Colchester which doesn't amount to much.

But he is pacy he has considerable skill and he should be given a chance against Bradford Tuesday night.

It doesn't matter what level of football you play at defenders cannot live with pace.

If Junior is injured then the local newspaper did not mention it and neither did the club.

JM lacks creativity and ideas when it comes to young pacy strikers and giving Junior either 4 minutes or 8 minutes is disgraceful. Worse still playing him on the right wing at Morecambe was hopeless.

He must play as a striker and preferably with Robinson.

Perhaps we might learn more in the next 48 hours ahead of the Bantams visit.

UTU's

Mention on the OMB that Junior was off with flu yesterday.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 18:57 - Jan 19 with 742 viewsgerry_us

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 18:30 - Jan 19 by wessex_exile

Not an allergy (to McG) then.
Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 19:03 - Jan 19 with 741 viewsdurham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 18:30 - Jan 19 by wessex_exile

Thanks Wessex

Hopefully he will be fighting fit for his ten minutes on Tuesday!

UTU's

Durham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 22:05 - Jan 19 with 729 viewsLeadbelly

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 19:03 - Jan 19 by durham_exile

Thanks Wessex

Hopefully he will be fighting fit for his ten minutes on Tuesday!

UTU's

If he has the strain of flu doing the rounds currently I doubt he’ll be available. I’ve had it for three weeks and still feel lousy. Going to the game yesterday was the first time I’d left the house, except for trips to the GP. Suffice to say that was a mistake on my part.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Login to get fewer ads

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 22:22 - Jan 19 with 725 viewsdurham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 22:05 - Jan 19 by Leadbelly

If he has the strain of flu doing the rounds currently I doubt he’ll be available. I’ve had it for three weeks and still feel lousy. Going to the game yesterday was the first time I’d left the house, except for trips to the GP. Suffice to say that was a mistake on my part.

LB sorry to hear that you have been unwell.

However your appearance clearly helped the U's to three valuable points. Can you make the game Tuesday night as well?

UTU's

Durham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 00:30 - Jan 20 with 711 viewswessex_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 22:05 - Jan 19 by Leadbelly

Notwithstanding my best wishes for your full recovery Whales (was laid low for two weeks with flu last year, and I never normally get sick - worst I’ve felt ever!), my bigger concern is what happens if it spreads through the squad!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 01:07 - Jan 20 with 707 viewsdurham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 00:30 - Jan 20 by wessex_exile

Notwithstanding my best wishes for your full recovery Whales (was laid low for two weeks with flu last year, and I never normally get sick - worst I’ve felt ever!), my bigger concern is what happens if it spreads through the squad!

I have been scouring the usual sites for news of the flu outbreak that has struck Junior.

Now I am not normally cynical (no really) but there was no mention on Saturday before or after the game about influenza affecting Junior.

I do hope that his omission from the match day squad was entirely genuine and that he will soon be fighting fit.

Of course with the Bantams in town on Tuesday let us hope that there is no outbreak of Avian flu!

UTU's

Durham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 07:46 - Jan 20 with 697 viewsnoah4x4

It's been in the Gazette. Junior definitely has flu. Loads of us in Colchester have been laid low with a variety of flu and cold like symptoms. A problem is being a commuter town. The bugs get spread on over crowded trains/tubes and get brought home.

Gerry and Durham, you always seem to think there is some McGreal conspiracy. But 13 games unbeaten, three points off an automatic promotion place, let's give the man more credit. Given Junior's absence, I thought he got team selection spot on on Saturday. He had to replace Stevenson (at 2-0) who picked up a rib injury. Newcomer Moore, short of match time, was tiring and replaced by Lapslie (who struggled).

Yes, we should have beaten Stevenage and Morecambe, but both teams are battling and put ten defenders in front of the ball (Macclesfield similar). Stevenage subsequently thumping Cambridge 4-0 suggests Westley is having some positive impact. Morecambe signed three players and they had instant impact. We also had no Robinson. Recently, Norris has been dire and again contributed zilch on Saturday after replacing a clearly tiring Theo. I think McGreal is actually doing a great job. Vastly experienced Holloway has gone to Grimsby and no new manager bounce there. I feel we should wait until seasons end to judge him and the signings.
Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 08:10 - Jan 20 with 692 viewsLeadbelly

Appreciate the best wishes from Durham and Wessex. I won’t be at the game tomorrow as either back at work or still ill(hopefully the former) but fingers crossed the squad can avoid the flu bug and we can beat Bradford.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 09:32 - Jan 20 with 686 viewsdurham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 07:46 - Jan 20 by noah4x4

It's been in the Gazette. Junior definitely has flu. Loads of us in Colchester have been laid low with a variety of flu and cold like symptoms. A problem is being a commuter town. The bugs get spread on over crowded trains/tubes and get brought home.

Gerry and Durham, you always seem to think there is some McGreal conspiracy. But 13 games unbeaten, three points off an automatic promotion place, let's give the man more credit. Given Junior's absence, I thought he got team selection spot on on Saturday. He had to replace Stevenson (at 2-0) who picked up a rib injury. Newcomer Moore, short of match time, was tiring and replaced by Lapslie (who struggled).

Yes, we should have beaten Stevenage and Morecambe, but both teams are battling and put ten defenders in front of the ball (Macclesfield similar). Stevenage subsequently thumping Cambridge 4-0 suggests Westley is having some positive impact. Morecambe signed three players and they had instant impact. We also had no Robinson. Recently, Norris has been dire and again contributed zilch on Saturday after replacing a clearly tiring Theo. I think McGreal is actually doing a great job. Vastly experienced Holloway has gone to Grimsby and no new manager bounce there. I feel we should wait until seasons end to judge him and the signings.

Noah thank you for clarifying the flu position.

I agree it is particularly nasty.

Regarding McGreal my position is quite simple he's now one of the top ten longest serving managers in the league indeed the EFL and Premier League.

This must be the season when we achieve promotion after several failures.

I am sorry that Junior is unwell because I would love to see him given 90 minutes in one game rather than over half a season.

I wished JM well for the season at the pre season game in North Wales and that view hasn't changed but I want to see teams put to the sword rather than the meek and lacklustre fare often served up.

Bradford and Exeter are the acid test let's hope we are all doing after those two games.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 11:35 - Jan 20 with 678 viewsgerry_us

Sorry Noah but have to disagree with you. Any manager that has been with a team for as long as McG should not have spent all his time in Div.2 This just determines he has not the drive or the quality to build a team for promotion. Yes, a long unbeaten run but we will see the quality of the run after the next two games I feel.
I want promotion as much if not more than anyone but McG insistence on parking the bus will not prevail.
Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 12:43 - Jan 20 with 672 viewsMoor_Pinot

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 09:32 - Jan 20 by durham_exile

Noah thank you for clarifying the flu position.

I agree it is particularly nasty.

Regarding McGreal my position is quite simple he's now one of the top ten longest serving managers in the league indeed the EFL and Premier League.

This must be the season when we achieve promotion after several failures.

I am sorry that Junior is unwell because I would love to see him given 90 minutes in one game rather than over half a season.

I wished JM well for the season at the pre season game in North Wales and that view hasn't changed but I want to see teams put to the sword rather than the meek and lacklustre fare often served up.

Bradford and Exeter are the acid test let's hope we are all doing after those two games.

UTU's

Precisely said Durham and my best wishes to the flu brigade for swifter recoveries, real flu takes ages doesn't it.
As for the U's it's a funny time, apart from Exeter at home we've not played well in both halves of any of the twelve unbeaten games. I also give the management credit for the run although the number of draws in it still only averages out at 70 or so points and 8th or 9th again. Mcgreal was a novice and has learned rather slowly and still we play inconsistent halves of football. Opposition managers seem to be better at assessing our strengths and thus there have been no dominant wins in the run, awful Carlisle apart. But my main worry with our management is the management we do not see. Who took Brown on one side and helped him with his hopeless start for the U's, who has made Senior aware of his lack of awareness, etc. It is the man management which I suspect could improve performances and which - agreeing totally with you Durham - I presume to be responsible for the missed promotion last year when we had slightly better players. So I await these next two games, they are defining and positive results would get a pat on the back for the management from me - novices no longer.

Additionally, credit to those who have brought Clampin on, he gives a 75% impression of Bramhall, all credit to him. Prosser has been better this year and Kensdale is able. Junior must be given the opportunity at some stage but Comley needs to play more now Gambin's lost form. We do have options now is the time for that versatility to show itself and indeed come Saturday night, prove itself!

Moor Pinot

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 17:38 - Jan 20 with 644 viewsMoor_Pinot

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 12:43 - Jan 20 by Moor_Pinot

Precisely said Durham and my best wishes to the flu brigade for swifter recoveries, real flu takes ages doesn't it.
As for the U's it's a funny time, apart from Exeter at home we've not played well in both halves of any of the twelve unbeaten games. I also give the management credit for the run although the number of draws in it still only averages out at 70 or so points and 8th or 9th again. Mcgreal was a novice and has learned rather slowly and still we play inconsistent halves of football. Opposition managers seem to be better at assessing our strengths and thus there have been no dominant wins in the run, awful Carlisle apart. But my main worry with our management is the management we do not see. Who took Brown on one side and helped him with his hopeless start for the U's, who has made Senior aware of his lack of awareness, etc. It is the man management which I suspect could improve performances and which - agreeing totally with you Durham - I presume to be responsible for the missed promotion last year when we had slightly better players. So I await these next two games, they are defining and positive results would get a pat on the back for the management from me - novices no longer.

Additionally, credit to those who have brought Clampin on, he gives a 75% impression of Bramhall, all credit to him. Prosser has been better this year and Kensdale is able. Junior must be given the opportunity at some stage but Comley needs to play more now Gambin's lost form. We do have options now is the time for that versatility to show itself and indeed come Saturday night, prove itself!

Having thought about it, it's the next 3 games which are season defining potentially. Hadn't noticed the game at home tomorrow week!
7 from 9 points would be a very good result for the management.

Moor Pinot

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 18:36 - Jan 20 with 639 viewsghughes11

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 17:56 - Jan 18 by Leadbelly

A welcome three points but very much despite McGreal who killed it stone dead with his masterful substitutions. Soon as Stevenson, who was running midfield, was replaced Macclesfield had so much more of the game.

General observation is that League 2 football is dire and with McGreal at the helm we can look forward to a lot more of it. We won the game but there was absolutely nothing to make me hurry back...even goal of the season contender from Harriott.

BBC Essex commentary on iFollow mentioned Stevenson was putting ice on his knee after the substitution. Our passing was disrupted a bit when he went off. However Comley is an ideal replacement and broke up a lot of Maccs counter attacks.

Think we missed Jackson a lot. A very underrated player for Col U!

We always say that we do better against the teams at the top - what better way to show it in the next set of fixtures.

C'mon Col U - believe!

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 22:09 - Jan 20 with 627 viewsGOSBTS

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 18:36 - Jan 20 by ghughes11

BBC Essex commentary on iFollow mentioned Stevenson was putting ice on his knee after the substitution. Our passing was disrupted a bit when he went off. However Comley is an ideal replacement and broke up a lot of Maccs counter attacks.

Think we missed Jackson a lot. A very underrated player for Col U!

We always say that we do better against the teams at the top - what better way to show it in the next set of fixtures.

C'mon Col U - believe!

Very true. I'm hoping that we will be more potent tomorrow as there should be more space if Bradford aren't afraid to attack themselves.

Excited for this one. I'm fully expecting it to be a 1-1 draw with neither team wanting to risk losing by the end - but I'm hoping for the full three points!

Up the U's!
Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 12:56 - Jan 21 with 596 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 07:46 - Jan 20 by noah4x4

Comparing this season with the previous 15 after 27 games.

2019-20

- Third highest amount of points
- Least amount of defeats
- Least amount of goals conceded
- Third highest goal difference

This would imply that Noah is right and that McGreal is actually doing a pretty decent job...And this is after losing arguably our three best players from last season. Plus we've also managed to beat two Premier League teams in reaching the quarter finals of the League Cup which would've earned us a sizeable amount of revenue.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 13:13 - Sep 16 with 457 viewsmfb_cufc

Macclesfield wound up in the high court today. Confirms it what was probably the right decision to relegate them last season, but still a tragedy for them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54177582

Just beat me to it wessex.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2020 13:16]

mfb

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 13:38 - Sep 16 with 448 viewsdurham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 13:13 - Sep 16 by mfb_cufc

Macclesfield wound up in the high court today. Confirms it what was probably the right decision to relegate them last season, but still a tragedy for them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54177582

Just beat me to it wessex.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2020 13:16]

Yes sorry to see the Silkmen go.

I went to Moss Rose last season for the 1-1 draw.

Stevenage survived because of the points penalty for Macclesfield. And i agree with you Mick reluctantly it was the right decision given the outcome.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Silkmen survival hanging by a thread after heavy defeat at JSCS on 15:17 - Sep 16 with 431 viewsburnsieespana

Southend owe HMRC slightly under £500,000 and been given another month by the court!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024