Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's 21:22 - Jan 27 with 1789 viewsdurham_exile

The matches are coming thick and fast at present and tomorrow evening the Super U’s play the current league leaders Swindon Town. Forget all about our two victories over the Robins this season, they mean nothing. Tomorrow is all about transforming the series of draws into a victory.

Richie Wellens’ team saw off Port Vale at the weekend after they themselves suffered some indifferent results, but they must be respected because they are top of the league for now.

Swindon 29 17 5 7 21 56
Exeter 28 15 9 4 11 54
Plymouth 27 15 5 7 17 50
Crewe 28 14 7 7 16 49
COL U 29 11 13 5 13 46
Northampton 28 13 7 8 10 46
Bradford 29 12 10 7 8 46
Cheltenham 27 11 11 5 19 44
Port Vale 29 10 11 8 -1 41

What Swindon have done well this season apart from the results is the quality of loan signings. They signed, at the beginning of the season from Bradford City, striker Eoin Doyle who then scored 23 goals in 22 games for the Robins. Since returning to the Bantams he is yet to score.

Swindon have also just signed Hallam Hope from Carlisle on loan. A quality striker, I am surprised that the Cumbrians agreed to the loan. He scored on his debut on Saturday against the Valiants. They have also just signed Anthony Grant from Shrewsbury, at 32 an experienced midfielder. I expect both to play against Colchester tomorrow.

After playing Swindon at home we have 16 games remaining and a mixed bag they are, split into bite sized chunks:

Cambridge A
Plymouth H
Grimsby H
Port Vale A
Salford A
Cheltenham H

Carlisle A
Scunthorpe H
Crewe H
Newport A
Mansfield H
Bradford A

Northampton A
Oldham H
Walsall A
FGR H

We must still play 7 out of the top 9 teams, but it may well be the midtable teams that determine whether we can achieve one of the top three places. The last four seasons have seen the third placed team achieve 2019 — 79 points, 84, 85, and 2016 - 84 points respectively and so we are looking to gain up to 38 points from 17 matches. More reason to start turning drawn matches into victories.

After 15 games unbeaten we have a confident and impressive defence and midfield, but goal scoring (the perennial problem) is becoming more difficult to achieve and if we are not to sign another striker before the January deadline, then we must look seriously at Junior and give him opportunities as an out and out striker.

In 1996/97 we went 19 games unbeaten (11 victories and 8 draws), we can surpass that record if we remain unbeaten after the Port Vale fixture.

Injuries are always a problem and Paris Cowan-Hall is out long term along with Cohen Bramall and Big Frank’s recent back injury is difficult to quantify.

JM is therefore likely to go with the following team tomorrow:

Gerken

Jackson Eastman Prosser Clampin

Pell Stevenson

Senior Poku Harriott

Robinson

Subs:

Ross Lapslie Sowunmi Norris Moore Gambin Comley

For 9 minutes on Saturday the midfield dream team played together; Pell, Stevenson and Comley but JM will not play them for 90 minutes because he prefers two wingers if possible. It is also difficult to leave out young Poku who is a quality player at number 10 with ability beyond his tender years.

Our problem once again this season has been scoring goals and not one striker looks capable of delivering 20 goals. Now it may be that promotion can be achieved without that milestone but its always easier if you can rely on someone to score 20 goals in a season.

Clinical finishing is something lacking at present, the chances are being created but not converted and the worst offenders are Senior, Harriott, Gambin, Pell and Robinson. Anyway, enough of the moaning, this is something that must be sorted if we are to finish in the top three.

The weather tomorrow evening will be 3 degrees Celsius, clear and dry. The pitch will undoubtedly be better than Prenton Park (Clacton beach is better than Prenton Park).

Perhaps a 4,000 attendance and the faithful in good voice for the table toppers.

Prediction: Colchester 2 Swindon 0

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 21:55 - Jan 28 with 622 viewswessex_exile

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 21:51 - Jan 28 by noah4x4

McGreal genius!
Three subs, three goals, from playing two up front....
That’s the way to do it!

Absolutely - he was brave, he went for it, and our lions didn't let him down - just wonderful!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 22:07 - Jan 28 with 607 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 21:55 - Jan 28 by wessex_exile

Absolutely - he was brave, he went for it, and our lions didn't let him down - just wonderful!

Crawley 92 minute equaliser at Home Park

Special day on Saturday against Cambridge bring it on

Durham_exile

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 22:38 - Jan 28 with 587 viewsbwildered

Swindon much the better side in the first half, and three vital saves by Gerkin keep it level .
Three guys subbed after being one down, never got in the game. More physical in Norris and Big Frank tipped the balance, and the pleasing thing all three goals scored in and around the six yard box.
This was a typical well fought three points affair score line might be a tad unjust, but changes with time to influence.
Result should see confidence sky high, and has set up a exciting run in until end of the season.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 22:44 - Jan 28 with 583 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 22:07 - Jan 28 by durham_exile

Crawley 92 minute equaliser at Home Park

Special day on Saturday against Cambridge bring it on

338 Robins tonight - all left red faced.

Brilliant win.

This has opened up the league tonight and given us the chance of automatic promotion.

Gerry called it when Deano signed he stated that he would shore up the defence and improve the keeper role and so it has proven. Well done Gerry the cat.

Up the U's
[Post edited 28 Jan 2020 22:51]

Durham_exile

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 22:56 - Jan 28 with 576 viewsthrillseeker

It was cold again

I don't know what to say about the match. I didn't think we were in it until the final 25 minutes and then something clicked and Swindon crumbled

Gerken was immense tonight and kept us in the match - says it all about performance when our keeper is MOM in a 3-1 victory.

Eastman - very good again

Robinson - is not a lone striker. I feel for him with the lack of decent servce he gets but once Norris came on he looked so much better

Bramall - his pace is lethal and he played well if looking a bit lacking match fitness.

Pell - how many times does he give the ball away. He is a fans favourite because he runs around. However sometimes he his running like a headless chicken with no clue. Despite the negative comment he is player that inspires/drives/ motivates others

Poku - needs a break. Completely lost in this game

Others - all the rest were steady

McGreal - I hope he can see we play better with 2 strikers upfront. Was it tactical genius tonight or did he get lucky?

Gutted I can't make Cambridge as away in Zurich for 4 days - I expect nothing less than 3 points

And to top evening off Ipswich lost
Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 23:19 - Jan 28 with 570 viewsoxfcolu

There is no words to describe how chuffed I feel tonight. I detest Swindon and their gormless no mark fans and to beat them 3 times this season and score another 3 goals gives me bragging rights at work tomorrow. Let's keep this run going.😁
Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 23:33 - Jan 28 with 565 viewswessex_exile

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 23:19 - Jan 28 by oxfcolu

There is no words to describe how chuffed I feel tonight. I detest Swindon and their gormless no mark fans and to beat them 3 times this season and score another 3 goals gives me bragging rights at work tomorrow. Let's keep this run going.😁

Phil Harding of Time Team fame is one of my best friends, been a colleague for the last 30 years, and been amongst the U's faithful with me for our play-off victory at Wembley. His first love is Salisbury City, his second being Swindon.

Phil, I love you chap, but boy am I going to enjoy tomorrow

Up the U's

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 00:30 - Jan 29 with 559 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 21:51 - Jan 28 by noah4x4

McGreal genius!
Three subs, three goals, from playing two up front....
That’s the way to do it!

I'm sure you'll be one of the few giving McGreal the credit he's due this evening. Amazes me that when we're poor it's all McGreal's fault but when we're good it's all down to the players...

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 00:31 - Jan 29 with 558 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 23:19 - Jan 28 by oxfcolu

Ha Ha! Brilliant!

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 00:32 - Jan 29 with 557 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Great support from the South Stand today. One of my favourite ever games at the JCS. Gerken made at least three top drawer saves and to think some people thought he was a poor signing. Every player in the squad has either been signed by or had their contract renewed by McGreal. This is very much his team and we're currently fifth in the table having only lost five times and been on a memorable cup run too and all this without three of our best players from last season. Can't be bad eh?

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 00:58 - Jan 29 with 552 viewswessex_exile

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 00:32 - Jan 29 by RSCOSWORTH

Great support from the South Stand today. One of my favourite ever games at the JCS. Gerken made at least three top drawer saves and to think some people thought he was a poor signing. Every player in the squad has either been signed by or had their contract renewed by McGreal. This is very much his team and we're currently fifth in the table having only lost five times and been on a memorable cup run too and all this without three of our best players from last season. Can't be bad eh?

The beauty of a team game, you need everyone to play their part, including the keeper and the manager. Credit where credit is due, an absolutely fantastic result!

Up the U's

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 06:30 - Jan 29 with 533 viewsGOSBTS

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 00:32 - Jan 29 by RSCOSWORTH

Agreed, absolutely fantastic night and felt almost as good as the Spurs game in terms of exhilaration by the end!

What a game. As others have mentioned, Gerken a worthy MOM as without him the comeback just wouldn’t have been possible. An absolutely inspired performance.

First half wasn’t bad, but Swindon has excellent movement when on the ball and our 10 outfield players just weren’t quite as good as they were against Bradford.

Well done McGreal. There were plenty in the South Stand calling for 4-4-2 after Swindon scored but the feeling was when Norris was about to come on that it’d be a miracle if he replaced anyone other than Theo. Well, how we were all proved wrong! Courageous choices from McGreal coupled with the brilliance of Nouble, Senior and Norris when they came on.

I’ve long thought we need to make better use of set pieces and Bramall showed what we were missing. In games against lesser opposition Clampin is absolutely fine, but against better teams Bramall is a cut above.

And well, I hadn’t seen a single U’s goal in front of me in the South Stand this season - last night remedied that! Bloomin marvellous!!!
Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 08:03 - Jan 29 with 522 viewsnoah4x4

Last night, Robinson and Norris proved their worth in the box. But most of the time in the One Up Front scenarios they are having to play deeper due to an opposition's offside trap and their frustration in getting zero service has been obvious. It's significant that the assists for our goals came from Eastman and Prosser and for other recent goals, Clampin and Jackson claim the assists. By contrast, Poku, Harriott, Gambin and Senior all seem to ignore Norris and Robinson in search for individual glory. Prior to the subs and our comeback I was screaming in frustration "It's a team game". Others were screaming "4-4-2". We got both wishes in the last twenty minutes"

Big Frank, Norris, Pell and Robinson also showed the benefit of having muscle applied against clearly skilful Division Two players. Poku and Harriott have all the skill, but are too easily out muscled whilst lower league referees offer them zero protection. When both Bramall and Jackson play, I say start 4-4-2 and use (any) TWO of Poku, Harriott and Senior as impact substitutes when opposition teams are tiring, hence starting with only ONE of these very similar, but selfish skill merchants. Lapslie and Stephenson can also pick a pass. But until Harriott and Poku recognise that it is a team game, I would use them sparingly.
Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 08:18 - Jan 29 with 518 viewsnoah4x4

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 23:33 - Jan 28 by wessex_exile

Phil Harding of Time Team fame is one of my best friends, been a colleague for the last 30 years, and been amongst the U's faithful with me for our play-off victory at Wembley. His first love is Salisbury City, his second being Swindon.

Phil, I love you chap, but boy am I going to enjoy tomorrow

Wessex, I reckon there are Roman Ruins under my wife's allotment. Any chance you can get Phil and the Time Team to rotavate it in February to save me a job?

Last time, I found a rusty, rustic looking, with irregular odd holes, small horseshoe. Wife reckons it came from one of Boudicca's chariots. I think more likely tossed over the fence from the adjacent scrap merchants yard or a wedding novelty. But worthy of investigate before she plants her 2020 spuds. ....
Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 08:36 - Jan 29 with 501 viewswessex_exile

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 08:03 - Jan 29 by noah4x4

Last night, Robinson and Norris proved their worth in the box. But most of the time in the One Up Front scenarios they are having to play deeper due to an opposition's offside trap and their frustration in getting zero service has been obvious. It's significant that the assists for our goals came from Eastman and Prosser and for other recent goals, Clampin and Jackson claim the assists. By contrast, Poku, Harriott, Gambin and Senior all seem to ignore Norris and Robinson in search for individual glory. Prior to the subs and our comeback I was screaming in frustration "It's a team game". Others were screaming "4-4-2". We got both wishes in the last twenty minutes"

Big Frank, Norris, Pell and Robinson also showed the benefit of having muscle applied against clearly skilful Division Two players. Poku and Harriott have all the skill, but are too easily out muscled whilst lower league referees offer them zero protection. When both Bramall and Jackson play, I say start 4-4-2 and use (any) TWO of Poku, Harriott and Senior as impact substitutes when opposition teams are tiring, hence starting with only ONE of these very similar, but selfish skill merchants. Lapslie and Stephenson can also pick a pass. But until Harriott and Poku recognise that it is a team game, I would use them sparingly.

Knocks and aches permitting, I’d love to see us start on Saturday with the team and formation that finished last night.

Up the U's

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 13:37 - Jan 29 with 475 viewsburnsieespana

Have to admit I was doubtful Dean G would be a benefit to us.
He always was a good shit stopper but his experience with Bristol & Ipswich have improved a great deal.
Must be close to being most effective keeper in our league and when I have seen him play been impressed with him.
Well done U's and it is starting to feel like the season we got promo to the Championship when even not playing well, we still pick up points.
Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 13:44 - Jan 29 with 474 viewsthrillseeker

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 13:37 - Jan 29 by burnsieespana

Have to admit I was doubtful Dean G would be a benefit to us.
He always was a good shit stopper but his experience with Bristol & Ipswich have improved a great deal.
Must be close to being most effective keeper in our league and when I have seen him play been impressed with him.
Well done U's and it is starting to feel like the season we got promo to the Championship when even not playing well, we still pick up points.

TYPO ALERT

'He always was a good shit stopper' - of course he was he played behind the Ipswich defence
Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 18:56 - Jan 30 with 413 viewsghughes11

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 19:23 - Jan 28 by ghughes11

Strong bench!

Will/can McGreal use it to his and our advantage though???

Up the U's

I don't know what I was worrying about!

"John McGreal's a football genius!"

Had to wait until Thursday night (NZ time) to watch on iFollow and put up with an inconsistent stream (normally fine), however that was well worth the wait!

Gerken immense! Bramhall with the pace and the set-piece deliveries. Pell the driving force and then the tactical genius of McGreal making the correct changes at the correct time.

Swindon definitely had a game plan to stop Poku and Harriott influencing the game, but had no answer to the 4-4-2 and the predatory instincts of Norris and Robinson in the box!

I would be happy to start the same team and formation that finished on Tuesday. However wouldn't be too disappointed if we started the same team and formation that started the game either, as long as the substitutions have the time to make a difference like on Tues night!

C'mon the real U's and CUFC!

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 19:38 - Jan 30 with 405 viewswessex_exile

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 18:56 - Jan 30 by ghughes11

I don't know what I was worrying about!

"John McGreal's a football genius!"

Had to wait until Thursday night (NZ time) to watch on iFollow and put up with an inconsistent stream (normally fine), however that was well worth the wait!

Gerken immense! Bramhall with the pace and the set-piece deliveries. Pell the driving force and then the tactical genius of McGreal making the correct changes at the correct time.

Swindon definitely had a game plan to stop Poku and Harriott influencing the game, but had no answer to the 4-4-2 and the predatory instincts of Norris and Robinson in the box!

I would be happy to start the same team and formation that finished on Tuesday. However wouldn't be too disappointed if we started the same team and formation that started the game either, as long as the substitutions have the time to make a difference like on Tues night!

C'mon the real U's and CUFC!

In truth, with Nouble and Senior marauding, that was virtually 4-2-4.

Up the U's

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 21:33 - Jan 30 with 384 viewsnoah4x4

Quiz question.....no Google-ing! No prizes.....

4-2-4 is known as "Huntington type". What am I talking about?
Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 22:59 - Jan 30 with 366 viewsmfb_cufc

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 08:36 - Jan 29 by wessex_exile

Knocks and aches permitting, I’d love to see us start on Saturday with the team and formation that finished last night.

Not very likely as McGreal said in the post match interview that its not going to happen as a regular because he's not allowed to. That is why we struggle to break teams down on many occasions, because they know exactly how we are going to play. The clubs DNA as McGreal likes to call it.

mfb

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 23:14 - Jan 30 with 360 viewsgerry_us

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 22:59 - Jan 30 by mfb_cufc

Not very likely as McGreal said in the post match interview that its not going to happen as a regular because he's not allowed to. That is why we struggle to break teams down on many occasions, because they know exactly how we are going to play. The clubs DNA as McGreal likes to call it.

DoNotAssert?
Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 00:28 - Jan 31 with 354 viewsLeadbelly

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 23:14 - Jan 30 by gerry_us

DoNotAssert?

Do Not Attack perhaps?

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 04:20 - Jan 31 with 349 viewswessex_exile

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 21:33 - Jan 30 by noah4x4

Quiz question.....no Google-ing! No prizes.....

4-2-4 is known as "Huntington type". What am I talking about?

Must be a steam engine? I believe that is how they are classified according to their layout of wheels and drive wheels?

Up the U's

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 07:03 - Jan 31 with 340 viewsnoah4x4

Robins to be left red faced after defeat at JSCS against the Super U's on 04:20 - Jan 31 by wessex_exile

Must be a steam engine? I believe that is how they are classified according to their layout of wheels and drive wheels?

Correct Wessex.

The 'Huntington Type' 4 - 2 - 4 wheel layout is typical of early US locomotives complete with cowcatcher that we see in Western movies. Two driving wheels, two bogies. However, there are some UK examples.

I propose that we hereafter refer to McGreal tactics by steam engine configerations or other such conventions. Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a wheel layout classification 4-3-3. But the British Rail Type 442 diesel is know as a "Wessex".......
[Post edited 31 Jan 2020 7:12]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024