Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS 21:52 - Feb 7 with 1568 viewsdurham_exile

After last week’s debacle at the Abbey Stadium and the end of our 16-game unbeaten run, the U’s are back on home soil for a double header with Grimsby in town on Tuesday, but before that we play the potential league champions Plymouth Argyle.

Argyle, the Green Army have recently started to play and have games in hand over Swindon Town, but they are not the finished article. I went to the reverse fixture at Home Park on 10th August and it was one of those games when the better team lost. Also, their team and their odious supporters were insufferable at the final whistle and one would have thought that they had already won the league such was the elation.

We lined up that day:

Gerken
Vincent-Young Eastman Prosser Bramall
Lapslie Stevenson
Senior Brown Nouble
Norris

Now I should say from the outset that I have never taken to Plymouth as a football club, probably going back to the days when Neil Warnock was in charge and when they defeated us in the Play Off semi-finals. No bitterness though! Although at the start of this season we were due to sign Joel Grant from Plymouth, but at the eleventh hour he changed his mind and signed a new contract with the Devon club. When he was injured at Home Park against us, I didn’t show any sympathy and I notice that he is currently warming the bench most games.

Ryan Lowe left Bury after their promotion at the end of last season and took most of the better players to Plymouth and they were expected to take League Two by storm. Until recently they have been indifferent, but their purple patch has arrived at exactly the right time.

Lowe has just been named league two MOTM so let us hope the managers curse strikes him tomorrow.

Lowe has been playing mind games about the fitness of Antoni Sarcevic (who scored the only goal against us in August) and Josh Grant — regardless of what he is saying I expect them both to play or at least be on the bench tomorrow. What Lowe cannot do anything about is his captain defender Gary Sawyer, who was red carded last week against Newport County. And will miss the next three games.

We are also likely to meet up against Joe Edwards again who played for us for one season and became a fan’s favourite. He also played against us in August.

Still enough of Plymouth, tomorrow is now all about three points for the U’s. A difficult game but one that has now become vital in our attempts to achieve promotion. I reckon we can prevail 2-0.

I would play the following team tomorrow in a 4,3,3 formation:

Gerken

Jackson Eastman Prosser Bramall

Stevenson Pell Comley

Harriott Norris Nouble

Subs:
Ross Sowunmi Clampin Poku Senior Gambin Robinson

The back four pick themselves but it is the midfield where we need to strengthen. Last weekend Pell and Comley were isolated and lost control of the centre of the park. Playing the three together will not only strengthen that key area of the pitch but also allow the players to have a sight of the goal because Ben Stevenson when he was here the first time scored some cracking goals and now never gets an opportunity. Likewise, Harry Pell is capable of scoring from outside the box.

This formation takes cognisance of JM’s love of wingers because there is still a place for Callum Harriott and Big Frank on the respective wings with Chuck in the middle. The bench still contains defenders, midfield, wingers and a striker. Let no one forget that our failure to bring in a striker and replacement for Brown and the departure of Junior to Israel leaves us short of strikers. JM cites Jake Hutchinson, but I have yet to see him play and although I have seen Hasanally and Kensdale play neither are what you would call regular starters.

Paris Cowan-Hall faces an uncertain future at the club, and he appears to have been singularly unlucky with injuries which is a shame because when he played against Spurs, he looked the real deal.

Otherwise what we have we must stick with now until the end of the season.

The league table looks less rosy after that damning defeat at Cambridge, but we are not out of it yet:

Swindon 31 59
Crewe 30 55
Plymouth 29 54
Exeter 30 54
Northampton 30 52
COL U 31 49
Cheltenham 29 48
Bradford 31 47

Although Storm Ciara is on the way tomorrows weather will be kind in North Essex and likely to be sunny, 8 degrees Celsius and a light breeze.

The pitch has had time to recover and should be in good order.

Notwithstanding the poor result last week, Plymouth should bring 500 and we could have 4,000 of the faithful for this huge game.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 7 Feb 2020 23:12]

Durham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 17:08 - Feb 8 with 583 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 16:56 - Feb 8 by Moor_Pinot

Save it for Tuesday Durham! Another win would do nicely although it would make no progress league wise.Some helpful scores elsewhere today.

Swindon 32 60
Crewe 31 58
Exeter 31 57
Plymouth 30 54
Col U 32 52
Northampton 31 52
Cheltenham 30 48

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 18:04 - Feb 8 with 562 viewsbwildered

Scintillating first half by the U's, Harriott tormenting the Plymouth defence . No side in this division would have lived with that. Robinson should be dissapointment not finishing up with a hat trick in the second half.
True team performance from back to front, shame we could not add another goal in the second half, but a well managed display in insurancing they were never going to get back into the game after half time .
So lads back on the bicycle for another unbeaten run !

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 19:30 - Feb 8 with 539 viewsGOSBTS

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 18:04 - Feb 8 by bwildered

Scintillating first half by the U's, Harriott tormenting the Plymouth defence . No side in this division would have lived with that. Robinson should be dissapointment not finishing up with a hat trick in the second half.
True team performance from back to front, shame we could not add another goal in the second half, but a well managed display in insurancing they were never going to get back into the game after half time .
So lads back on the bicycle for another unbeaten run !

Fully agree. I can't emphasise enough what a brilliant, brilliant performance that was from the U's.

Work training finished early at half 2 and made it to the game with a cup of tea in hand for kick off. When I saw the line-up with the three in midfield I smiled and thought to myself "Durham will be pleased." You were right all along!

The first half is the best half of football played by any team I've seen in a long time. It is not often a side playing against promotion contenders score three in one half, hit the post, bar and have one cleared off the line. Harriott was scintillating, Theo with predator instinct and the midfield bossed the game. Stevenson was particularly excellent. We were absolutely phenomenal and it was wonderful to be part of it amidst a packed South Stand.

I was concerned at half-time that an early Plymouth goal might change the tide and the last thing we needed was it turning into an end-to-end game as Plymouth looked like they had goals in them. Alas, I was almost more impressed by the second half display. Professional, disciplined and still with attacking intent. Great use of substitutes in the last ten minutes took any potential sting out of the last ten minutes.

What an incredible victory and well done to McGreal. As you may have picked up on my posts, my expectations are tempered as I see the U's as more of a solid playoff contender (as opposed to our soft-bellied team last year) but not quite worthy of automatics. Well, during the first half I thought to myself for the first time this season "wow, the playoffs would almost be a shame as we are too good for this league." I do still think we'll finish just shy of the top three, but my we will be formidable in the playoffs.

Up the mighty U's!
Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 21:01 - Feb 8 with 520 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 19:30 - Feb 8 by GOSBTS

Fully agree. I can't emphasise enough what a brilliant, brilliant performance that was from the U's.

Work training finished early at half 2 and made it to the game with a cup of tea in hand for kick off. When I saw the line-up with the three in midfield I smiled and thought to myself "Durham will be pleased." You were right all along!

The first half is the best half of football played by any team I've seen in a long time. It is not often a side playing against promotion contenders score three in one half, hit the post, bar and have one cleared off the line. Harriott was scintillating, Theo with predator instinct and the midfield bossed the game. Stevenson was particularly excellent. We were absolutely phenomenal and it was wonderful to be part of it amidst a packed South Stand.

I was concerned at half-time that an early Plymouth goal might change the tide and the last thing we needed was it turning into an end-to-end game as Plymouth looked like they had goals in them. Alas, I was almost more impressed by the second half display. Professional, disciplined and still with attacking intent. Great use of substitutes in the last ten minutes took any potential sting out of the last ten minutes.

What an incredible victory and well done to McGreal. As you may have picked up on my posts, my expectations are tempered as I see the U's as more of a solid playoff contender (as opposed to our soft-bellied team last year) but not quite worthy of automatics. Well, during the first half I thought to myself for the first time this season "wow, the playoffs would almost be a shame as we are too good for this league." I do still think we'll finish just shy of the top three, but my we will be formidable in the playoffs.

Up the mighty U's!

GOSBTS pleased you enjoyed the game and having watched the brief highlights we looked very strong first half.

I was intrigued did JM play Stevenson ahead of Pell and Comley perhaps in a diamond.

Delighted with the result because we rarely defeat Plymouth.

Now the acid test is Grimsby on Tuesday night with Ian Holloway.

I still believe that we can achieve automatic promotion and today's result has reinforced that view.

Next Saturday is Port Vale and then Salford both away so the matches are coming thick and fast.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 21:27 - Feb 8 with 507 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 21:01 - Feb 8 by durham_exile

GOSBTS pleased you enjoyed the game and having watched the brief highlights we looked very strong first half.

I was intrigued did JM play Stevenson ahead of Pell and Comley perhaps in a diamond.

I still believe that we can achieve automatic promotion and today's result has reinforced that view.

Next Saturday is Port Vale and then Salford both away so the matches are coming thick and fast.

UTU's

Just got back.

Very strong is an understatement Durham, we were magnificent, simply blew the title contenders apart. First half could have finished 6-0 and no one would have been surprised. Thoroughly professional second half, and still we could have scored more. One of the most comprehensive displays of total dominance football it has been my pleasure to watch in many years.

Me and my mate Jon shared our train carriage back to London with a bunch of Argyle supporters, and there was no sour grapes from any of them - all agreed that they had rightly been taken to the cleaners by a far better side. They were particularly full of praise (and envy) for Harriott, Nouble and Robinson - but for me the game was just as much won by Stevenson, Comley, Eastman and Prosser - and not forgetting Gerks, who did what he had to do extremely well.

Great to share the afternoon with Noah as well - what a day!!!

Edit: and Pell, how could I overlook Pell's contribution?!
[Post edited 8 Feb 2020 21:29]

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 21:31 - Feb 8 with 505 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 21:27 - Feb 8 by wessex_exile

Just got back.

Very strong is an understatement Durham, we were magnificent, simply blew the title contenders apart. First half could have finished 6-0 and no one would have been surprised. Thoroughly professional second half, and still we could have scored more. One of the most comprehensive displays of total dominance football it has been my pleasure to watch in many years.

Me and my mate Jon shared our train carriage back to London with a bunch of Argyle supporters, and there was no sour grapes from any of them - all agreed that they had rightly been taken to the cleaners by a far better side. They were particularly full of praise (and envy) for Harriott, Nouble and Robinson - but for me the game was just as much won by Stevenson, Comley, Eastman and Prosser - and not forgetting Gerks, who did what he had to do extremely well.

Great to share the afternoon with Noah as well - what a day!!!

Edit: and Pell, how could I overlook Pell's contribution?!
[Post edited 8 Feb 2020 21:29]

Brilliant stuff Wessex

Nice to hear the Green Army took it well. Incidentally they brought 1,037 from Devon.

I was particularly pleased because we didn't deserve to lose at home park

UTU's
[Post edited 8 Feb 2020 22:29]

Durham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 00:33 - Feb 9 with 473 viewsnoah4x4

Question. Will Wessex post to the selfie with Noah or deny sharing a ooah, oohaa, ohaaaa, ohaah, ooh, ohaa ha. Oohohaha....
[Post edited 9 Feb 2020 8:41]
Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 01:22 - Feb 9 with 469 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 00:33 - Feb 9 by noah4x4

Question. Will Wessex post to the selfie with Noah or deny sharing a ooah, oohaa, ohaaaa, ohaah, ooh, ohaa ha. Oohohaha....

It’s coming chap, no worries :-)

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 10:21 - Feb 9 with 428 viewsburnsieespana

Sounds like an excellent all round performance.
To put ladt Saturday in perspective I see Cambridge won away at Newport.
A long way to go yet and if wget on another long unbeaten run who knows.....?
Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 12:26 - Feb 9 with 407 viewsbwildered

According to the match programme the U's last beat Argyle in first round League Cup tie 2-1 2003, goals by Fagan and Pinault at Layer Rd .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 16:12 - Feb 9 with 384 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 12:26 - Feb 9 by bwildered

According to the match programme the U's last beat Argyle in first round League Cup tie 2-1 2003, goals by Fagan and Pinault at Layer Rd .

I was there Plymouths striker Ian Stonebridge was a close friend of my son (the Viking) so it was good to beat them. Stonebridge won a penalty at their place that year in the league but our keeper saved it and we escaped with a 0-0,forgotten our goalie's name.

Moor Pinot

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 20:06 - Feb 9 with 369 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 00:33 - Feb 9 by noah4x4

There you go Noah

Up the U's

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 20:17 - Feb 9 with 366 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 20:06 - Feb 9 by wessex_exile

There you go Noah

Great photo guys.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 20:19 - Feb 9 with 365 viewsmfb_cufc

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 16:12 - Feb 9 by Moor_Pinot

I was there Plymouths striker Ian Stonebridge was a close friend of my son (the Viking) so it was good to beat them. Stonebridge won a penalty at their place that year in the league but our keeper saved it and we escaped with a 0-0,forgotten our goalie's name.

Pinault, goalie's name was Richard McKinney.

mfb

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 19:20 - Feb 10 with 308 viewsghughes11

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 21:01 - Feb 8 by durham_exile

UTU's

Looked like the usual 4-2-3-1 with Stevenson in the number 10 role, when I was watching on iFollow.

Could also have been 4-1-4-1 during some stages of the game as Pell was everywhere!

What a performance though! I thought that the subs could have been made sooner though, with a tough game coming up against Grimsby on Tuesday night. Save the legs.

Are you predicting the same line-up and formation again Durham? Or will McGreal revert back to Senior and Poku, just to wind up Noah

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 22:35 - Feb 10 with 282 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 19:20 - Feb 10 by ghughes11

Looked like the usual 4-2-3-1 with Stevenson in the number 10 role, when I was watching on iFollow.

Could also have been 4-1-4-1 during some stages of the game as Pell was everywhere!

What a performance though! I thought that the subs could have been made sooner though, with a tough game coming up against Grimsby on Tuesday night. Save the legs.

Are you predicting the same line-up and formation again Durham? Or will McGreal revert back to Senior and Poku, just to wind up Noah

ghughes - thank you for your thoughts on the formation

My preview tomorrow will suggest the same starting XI.

I had gone for Chuck at number 9 on Saturday but will suggest Robinson to start.

We must avoid any complacency with the Mariners in town next.

UTU's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024