Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight 15:12 - Feb 11 with 2660 viewsdurham_exile

After the euphoria of that famous victory over Plymouth Argyle at the weekend, it is back to League business at the JSCS this evening when Ian Holloway brings his Mariners to Town. Now it would be easy for our team to switch off after deservedly earning three points at the weekend, but there is much to be done to keep pace with the top three sides.

Earlier in the season I went to Blundell Park with Gerry and after enjoying fish “n” chips at Papas on Cleethorpes Pier, we watched the U’s throw away a two-goal lead to eventually draw 2-2. It was literally a game of two halves, where Nouble and Norris deservedly cemented a 2-0 lead at half time only for the U’s to gift a penalty early in the second half and then to concede the equaliser with only three minutes remaining.

This evening there can be no sentiment or concession made, it is all about being ruthless and putting the Mariners to the sword. I predict 4-0 to the Super U’s.

I was delighted that JM played the dream midfield on Saturday and he must replicate that line up this evening:

Gerken

Jackson Eastman Prosser Bramall

Pell Comley

Harriott Stevenson Nouble

Robinson

In truth this XI is probably our strongest position by position at present and in Ben Stevenson we have the ideal replacement for Jevani Brown at number 10. More importantly though we should have played all three in midfield some weeks ago (as I have been saying), but JM does like his wingers. However Senior and Gambin are often better as impact players from the bench. Kwame Poku may also be better and stronger next season (don’t forget he is a prodigious talent and still only 18) possibly at number 10, we will see.

Subs:

Ross Sowunmi Senior Clampin Poku Norris Gambin

It would be encouraging to be able to identify a firm timeframe for Paris Cowan-Hall to make an appearance after his injuries, but perhaps Easter might be the optimum time. He has been missed.

Table:

Swindon 32 60
Crewe 31 58
Exeter 31 57
Plymouth 30 54
COL U 32 52
Northampton 31 52
Cheltenham 30 48

FGR v Port Vale, Northampton v Swindon and Salford v Plymouth are all intriguing games this evening. The “Vegans” have slipped off the pace of late and the Valiants are hitting some form (just before we play them this weekend at Vale Park). Similarly, Salford have invested in more attacking options recently (Darron Gibson and James Wilson, both ex United) before we play them at the Peninsula Stadium on Saturday week. So, the tough games keep coming but if we can keep our form going then promotion beckons.

Remaining League fixtures after tonight:

Port Vale A
Salford A
Cheltenham H
Carlisle A
Scunthorpe H
Crewe H

Newport A
Mansfield H
Bradford A
Northampton A
Oldham H
Walsall A
FGR H

Weather tonight will be 4 degrees Celsius and breezy but dry. After Storm Ciara things are settling down for a day or so before the cooler temperatures return.

Hopefully the crowd will be buoyed by Saturday’s victory.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 16:32 - Feb 11 with 1870 viewsnoah4x4

I live within sight of the floodlights Durham. Weather is not too unpleasant, very cold, a bit of sunshine. but the wind is severe, probably worse than at Cambridge. Empty plastic recycling bins are being tossed down Mill Road (it is collection day). Weather might better suit the Mariners. Every time I have been to Blundell Park (often) it has been windy, foggy, horrible.

I suspect we might see a disappointing error filled game spoilt by the wind. NOT a day for lightweight , but skilful players like Poku and Senior. But is Pell fit? He limped off against Plymouth having taken a heavy knock. Gambin might hence start in his place. Why do we always play Grimsby on a Tuesday night?
Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 16:59 - Feb 11 with 1855 viewsdurham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 16:32 - Feb 11 by noah4x4

I live within sight of the floodlights Durham. Weather is not too unpleasant, very cold, a bit of sunshine. but the wind is severe, probably worse than at Cambridge. Empty plastic recycling bins are being tossed down Mill Road (it is collection day). Weather might better suit the Mariners. Every time I have been to Blundell Park (often) it has been windy, foggy, horrible.

I suspect we might see a disappointing error filled game spoilt by the wind. NOT a day for lightweight , but skilful players like Poku and Senior. But is Pell fit? He limped off against Plymouth having taken a heavy knock. Gambin might hence start in his place. Why do we always play Grimsby on a Tuesday night?

Noah thanks for the weather update.

The wind sounds really fearsome and you are right will take some dealing with. At least it is dry.

I hope Pell is fit to start this evening.

Enjoy the game.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 19:04 - Feb 11 with 1808 viewsdurham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 16:59 - Feb 11 by durham_exile

Noah thanks for the weather update.

The wind sounds really fearsome and you are right will take some dealing with. At least it is dry.

I hope Pell is fit to start this evening.

Enjoy the game.

UTU's

Col U unchanged both starting and bench

The midfield dream team

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 20:02 - Feb 11 with 1775 viewsdurham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 19:04 - Feb 11 by durham_exile

Col U unchanged both starting and bench

The midfield dream team

Up the U's

Prosser 1-0

Durham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 20:05 - Feb 11 with 1771 viewswessex_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 20:02 - Feb 11 by durham_exile

Prosser 1-0

Crap 1-1

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 20:05 - Feb 11 with 1771 viewsdurham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 20:02 - Feb 11 by durham_exile

Prosser 1-0

Sadly not in the script GRIMsby equaliser 1-1

Durham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 20:27 - Feb 11 with 1752 viewsdurham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 20:05 - Feb 11 by durham_exile

Sadly not in the script GRIMsby equaliser 1-1

Keep the faith Theo Robinson 2-1

Durham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 20:33 - Feb 11 with 1748 viewsdurham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 20:27 - Feb 11 by durham_exile

Keep the faith Theo Robinson 2-1

Half Time

2-1 Super U's

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 20:39 - Feb 11 with 1740 viewswessex_exile

Grimsby are better than I was expecting, certainly trying to play the right way.

Up the U's

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 21:09 - Feb 11 with 1710 viewsdurham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 20:39 - Feb 11 by wessex_exile

Grimsby are better than I was expecting, certainly trying to play the right way.

A Desmond sadly

Durham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 21:12 - Feb 11 with 1702 viewsdurham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 21:09 - Feb 11 by durham_exile

A Desmond sadly

Worse still now 3-2

I don't believe it

What is going on.

Time to change it up and bring Chuck on

Durham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 21:16 - Feb 11 with 1678 viewsdurham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 21:12 - Feb 11 by durham_exile

Worse still now 3-2

I don't believe it

What is going on.

Attendance 2,954

UTU's

We have to get something from this especially with scores elsewhere

Come on

Durham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 21:26 - Feb 11 with 1654 viewsdurham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 21:16 - Feb 11 by durham_exile

Attendance 2,954

UTU's

We have to get something from this especially with scores elsewhere

Come on

Poku on for Comley

Come on we need something from this game

Durham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 21:35 - Feb 11 with 1638 viewsgerry_us

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 21:12 - Feb 11 by durham_exile

Worse still now 3-2

I don't believe it

What is going on.

Is this another half time talk from McG that goes..."we are 2-1 up guys, let's hang on to what we've got?"
I really hope I am wrong.
Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 21:38 - Feb 11 with 1626 viewsdurham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 21:35 - Feb 11 by gerry_us

Is this another half time talk from McG that goes..."we are 2-1 up guys, let's hang on to what we've got?"
I really hope I am wrong.

We haven't lost at home to GRIMsby since 1972 until tonight.

Bo**ocks

Durham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 21:41 - Feb 11 with 1612 viewswessex_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 21:38 - Feb 11 by durham_exile

We haven't lost at home to GRIMsby since 1972 until tonight.

Bo**ocks

Ditto - bo11ocks

Up the U's

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 21:46 - Feb 11 with 1594 viewsdurham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 21:41 - Feb 11 by wessex_exile

Ditto - bo11ocks

We play Port Vale Saturday at Vale Park they won at fast falling FGR but had Mitchel Clark and Tom Pope sent off.

We now need to get something in Burslem.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 21:57 - Feb 11 with 1554 viewsburnsieespana

I dispair!
Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 22:14 - Feb 11 with 1481 viewsGOSBTS

Argh, how annoying! I decided not to go tonight as after a 10 hour day at work the risk of us losing against a team we should be beating was too great. Looks like my fears were not unfounded!

Trying my hardest not to let that take the shine off of the Plymouth victory and hope we bounce back at Port Vale on Saturday in what is a far more consequential game against potential playoff pretenders.
Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 22:29 - Feb 11 with 1439 viewsthrillseeker

Back home, warmed up but disappointed.

I don't want to be too critical but some players looked fragile in the cold, like they did not fancy it.

Grimsby were good and if Holloway remains I can see them challenging Top 4 next season. They had clearly scouted us and played a formation that stifled us but allowed them to play. This is when I get frustrated with JM as he seems unable to work out opposition formations and adapt.

Not sure what happened with their third. No one bothered to challenge the player and he eagerly ran through our team before shooting passed DG.

Pell frustrates me - he is good for team morale/ motivation and does a lot of running around but sometimes on a bad day he reminds of Forrest Gump, just running but aimlessly.

Harriott - too many tricks with little end product. If he had a brain it would be frightening

Stevenson - I like watching his controlled football but sometimes I think his football brain is too much for his team mates to understand.

Jackson & Bramhall - looked like scared sheep today

Comley - steady but seems frightened to play forwards

McGreal - he is still a worry despite our current Play Off position. He s very one dimensional and just doesn't seem to be able see the opposition formation or tactics and adapt accordingly.

Roll on Saturday where we need to return to winning ways. Shoud be there unless work commitments dictate otherwise
Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 22:31 - Feb 11 with 1434 viewsbwildered

Gerken done by classic hat trick, one on his right , left and ugly one straight through. Great third goal to win a game, however U's lost possession on edge of their half & failed to take one for the team to stop the run.
However good managing the second half in the previous game, got undone by double substitution today, some days games are won just has much off it than on, today a typical example.
Hands up if last Fri you would have taken a defeat Sat & win tonight ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 22:36 - Feb 11 with 1416 viewsthrillseeker

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 22:31 - Feb 11 by bwildered

Gerken done by classic hat trick, one on his right , left and ugly one straight through. Great third goal to win a game, however U's lost possession on edge of their half & failed to take one for the team to stop the run.
However good managing the second half in the previous game, got undone by double substitution today, some days games are won just has much off it than on, today a typical example.
Hands up if last Fri you would have taken a defeat Sat & win tonight ?

But was it really a great goal?

I watched Grimsby players challenge and/ or commit tactical fouls yet for their third we lose the ball near their 18 yard line and player then embarks on a run with no real challenge/ tackle made before calmly slotting passed DG. I really don't know why our players looked scared of player running at them or scared of making a tackle
Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 23:52 - Feb 11 with 1272 viewsdurham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 22:36 - Feb 11 by thrillseeker

But was it really a great goal?

I watched Grimsby players challenge and/ or commit tactical fouls yet for their third we lose the ball near their 18 yard line and player then embarks on a run with no real challenge/ tackle made before calmly slotting passed DG. I really don't know why our players looked scared of player running at them or scared of making a tackle

Definite foul on Prosser prior to the second goal and Gerken at fault for the third but he should never have been allowed to run 70 yards with ball at feet.

A bad defeat and once again our lack of consistency has let us down.

Having seen GRIMsby already this season we should have taken four points from instead of the other way round.

Port Vale and Salford must now be seen off.

The other problem we have is, apart from Cowan-Hall there is no one else to come back to the team.

We now have 13 cup finals to find the points to finish third in the table.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 06:08 - Feb 12 with 1165 viewsnoah4x4

Same old problems; greedy Harriott and Nouble (or Senior or Poku) refusing to pass to Robinson, instead wastefully shooting from distance or from poor angle, or worse, losing the ball allowing the opposition to counter attack. Their third goal came from such an incident where Harriott lost the ball on tne edge of their box and we were over committed and none of the midfield then chased back allowing Vernom a clear run at our (then) stretched and hence limited defence.

You could potentially see this happening at any of our attacking corners as (unlike the U's) they always left an attacker free and hence an outlet. Jackson and Harriott stood like statues for their second; but top marks for their first goal which was well crafted and gave Gerken no chance.

Holloway clearly out-thought McGreal. The U's were one dimensional (typically forced wide with no end product) whilst Grimsby always seemed to have a spare man. They cleverly set traps, conned the referee into awarding free kicks when they lost possession and were faster to pick up the scraps. The work rate of some of our forward flair players when not in possession just isn't good enough. Also, there is no point in throwing two up front when nobody will pass to them. In the limited time available to them Senior and Poku continued where Harriott left off, running down blind alleys and losing the ball (or hacked down). Plymouth (first half) we played like a team. Last night like disjointed individuals. I despair.
Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 10:11 - Feb 12 with 1010 viewsdurham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the Super U's tonight on 06:08 - Feb 12 by noah4x4

Same old problems; greedy Harriott and Nouble (or Senior or Poku) refusing to pass to Robinson, instead wastefully shooting from distance or from poor angle, or worse, losing the ball allowing the opposition to counter attack. Their third goal came from such an incident where Harriott lost the ball on tne edge of their box and we were over committed and none of the midfield then chased back allowing Vernom a clear run at our (then) stretched and hence limited defence.

You could potentially see this happening at any of our attacking corners as (unlike the U's) they always left an attacker free and hence an outlet. Jackson and Harriott stood like statues for their second; but top marks for their first goal which was well crafted and gave Gerken no chance.

Holloway clearly out-thought McGreal. The U's were one dimensional (typically forced wide with no end product) whilst Grimsby always seemed to have a spare man. They cleverly set traps, conned the referee into awarding free kicks when they lost possession and were faster to pick up the scraps. The work rate of some of our forward flair players when not in possession just isn't good enough. Also, there is no point in throwing two up front when nobody will pass to them. In the limited time available to them Senior and Poku continued where Harriott left off, running down blind alleys and losing the ball (or hacked down). Plymouth (first half) we played like a team. Last night like disjointed individuals. I despair.

And Noah if we fall short this season it will be the inconsistency that will have cost us.

Defeat to Cambridge (now three straight wins) and to Grimsby (no disrespect but they should have been defeated last night) has again lost us vital points.

The top four all won as well to rub it in.

Port Vale will be tough even without two of their stars.
James Wilson also scored for Salford and that will be a tough game.

Time for the players to stand up and be counted.

Inconsistency is our only consistent feature at present.

Also under three thousand when we've just beaten Plymouth is simply pathetic.

UTU's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024