Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Operation Promotion 18:32 - Feb 15 with 1408 viewswessex_exile

So, after a disappointing result at Port Vale, our mission is clear, and has three simple objectives:

Objective #1 - stay in the Play-Offs
Pretty straightforward really, with goal difference on our side, we just have to do as well as the best performing team below us. Currently, and realistically, that means Northampton and Bradford City, with Forest Green 6pts adrift at the moment. We've still to play away at both of those two, which makes those games absolutely massive. If it proves necessary, we also have the luxury of FGR at home for the last game of the season.

If we manage that...

Objective #2 - finish 4th or 5th
Much trickier - Plymouth and Cheltenham both have two games in hand, and Plymouth might be too far ahead to be caught already. However, we still have Cheltenham at home to come, win that and we'll be right on their heels. The Play-Offs are a complete lottery, but if I had the choice, I'd rather go into the second leg of a semi-final, knowing what we had to do, at home.

If we manage that...

Objective #3 - pinch 3rd place
Dreamland, obviously - it would need us to win almost all of our remaining fixtures. I thought 80pts might be enough, Durham thought 82pts, and I reckon it'll be somewhere around that mark - certainly not less than 80pts. If we accept that our games at Bradford and Northampton are must-win because of Objective #1, and we win all of our remaining home matches, that's eight victories. Notwithstanding what teams around us do to each other, that leaves us needing a couple of good results at Salford, Carlisle, Newport or Walsall.

Stranger things have happened - I'll be there at Salford to see how the run-in starts.

Up the U's!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Operation Promotion on 19:21 - Feb 15 with 1378 viewsdurham_exile

Wessex a fair synopsis.

I agree that automatic promotion is now beyond us barring a miracle.

Top seven will require around 72 - 75 points and we have 12 games left.

So at least 20 more points required because 30 is too much to achieve.

I too will be at the Peninsular Stadium next Saturday for the next instalment in the U's saga.

Like you I am approaching 50 years of supporting the U's and sadly we've been here before with all those all so nears and they do wear you down through the years but I remember the Eagle on the Shirt, Parkinson still smiling and Goughy dancing.

Let us hope that we can rekindle the ashes against the Ammies next weekend.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Operation Promotion on 19:32 - Feb 15 with 1376 viewsdurham_exile

Operation Promotion on 19:21 - Feb 15 by durham_exile

Wessex a fair synopsis.

I agree that automatic promotion is now beyond us barring a miracle.

Top seven will require around 72 - 75 points and we have 12 games left.

So at least 20 more points required because 30 is too much to achieve.

I too will be at the Peninsular Stadium next Saturday for the next instalment in the U's saga.

Like you I am approaching 50 years of supporting the U's and sadly we've been here before with all those all so nears and they do wear you down through the years but I remember the Eagle on the Shirt, Parkinson still smiling and Goughy dancing.

Let us hope that we can rekindle the ashes against the Ammies next weekend.

UTU's

Have just made the mistake of watching 96 seconds of highlights. A real video nasty.

Poor defensive play for the first, the normally brilliant Eastman missed the ball for the second and Gerken at fault for the third.

Give Ross a game next week.

The club should reimburse the faithful who made the journey.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Operation Promotion on 20:02 - Feb 15 with 1358 viewsMoor_Pinot

Operation Promotion on 19:32 - Feb 15 by durham_exile

Have just made the mistake of watching 96 seconds of highlights. A real video nasty.

Poor defensive play for the first, the normally brilliant Eastman missed the ball for the second and Gerken at fault for the third.

Give Ross a game next week.

The club should reimburse the faithful who made the journey.

UTU's

I've said it before but Ross is the best goalkeeper at the club.
We also have mismanagement not management and as a result these youngsters - although not beyond criticism on occasions - are poorly prepared/motivated for games on a pretty regular basis.
If it isn't that then Colchester United must have a much poorer squad than most people on here who watch it at work think and we've all got rose tinted spectacles and are over optimistic. I don't believe we are all so deluded.

Moor Pinot

Operation Promotion on 20:28 - Feb 15 with 1345 viewsGOSBTS

I've always been doubtful that we were good/consistent enough for Objective 3, but I still believe we are right on course for Objective 2 and Objective 1 at the very least. I reckon we'll finish either 5th or 6th. In spite of today!
[Post edited 15 Feb 2020 20:28]
Operation Promotion on 21:21 - Feb 15 with 1320 viewsnoah4x4

One positive in a day of disappointment. Two more wins and it is mathematically impossible for us to be relegated. Looking forward to a trip to Roots Hall and Barrow.
Operation Promotion on 22:09 - Feb 15 with 1306 viewswessex_exile

Operation Promotion on 21:21 - Feb 15 by noah4x4

One positive in a day of disappointment. Two more wins and it is mathematically impossible for us to be relegated. Looking forward to a trip to Roots Hall and Barrow.

Hahaha - you're not wrong
Be almost a shame if we pass Southend on the journey...but there's always Ipshit

Up the U's

Operation Promotion on 08:32 - Feb 23 with 1131 viewswessex_exile

Week #1

Objective #1
Bradford slip up, losing 2-1 at the Exiles, to drop 4pts behind the U’s. Port Vale drop 2pts at Walsall, and the U’s move ahead on a vastly superior goal difference. FGR continue to drop like a stone, and with a 9pt gap now between them and the play-offs, they are surely out of contention? Northampton’s 2-0 victory over Exeter is probably the only blot on the landscape for this objective.

Objective #2
Cheltenham gain a narrow 1-0 home win over Mansfield, but Plymouth drop two points at home to Cambridge, U’s close the gap by those 2pts.

Objective #3
Northampton’s win does at least keep 3rd place just about in reach, but the enormity of that challenge, despite our excellent battling performance at Salford, is still daunting.

Up the U’s!!

Up the U's

Operation Promotion on 09:39 - Feb 23 with 1117 viewsnoah4x4

Yesterday (Salford) was an important day for other results. Nobody below us outside of the Play Off zone now have a game in hand. Simply, win more points and maintain goal difference than those and we get a play off spot. It's wholly back in our own hands now.

Some above us (and Northampton below) do have games in hand. But as we must play them we can remedy that. Next Saturday (Cheltenham) could be season defining. I think automatic is not beyond us yet. There remain a lot of six pointers between the top five to help us. Of those in contention, we only need play Cheltenham, Crewe, Northampton with two of those at home. But we do need to win ugly against bottom teams. We showed against Salford we can despite blips against Vale and Grimsby.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 9:41]
Login to get fewer ads

Operation Promotion on 09:57 - Feb 23 with 1107 viewswessex_exile

Cheltenham v Northampton on Tuesday night is an interesting conundrum. A solid win for Cheltenham keeps the Cobblers behind us, and will improve our GD advantage. However, reverse that result and although we drop a place, 4th/5th position is still viable. On paper, logic suggests a draw would be the preferred result, but then they both marginally improve their position over the U’s. Personally, I think I’m leaning towards a thumping Cheltenham victory to put a big dent in Northampton’s goal difference, but in truth no result would necessarily be bad for the U’s.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 10:45]

Up the U's

Operation Promotion on 19:55 - Feb 25 with 838 viewswessex_exile

Northampton take an early 1-0 lead at Cheltenham.

Up the U's

Operation Promotion on 20:15 - Feb 25 with 833 viewsburnsieespana

Now 1-1
Operation Promotion on 20:41 - Feb 25 with 823 viewswessex_exile

Operation Promotion on 20:15 - Feb 25 by burnsieespana

Now 1-1

1-1 at halftime. Grimsby are beating Newport 2-1 at halftime also. Largely inconsequential in reality, but Newport did have 3 games in hand, so if they lose this one it puts them right out of the picture.

Up the U's

Operation Promotion on 21:21 - Feb 25 with 812 viewswessex_exile

Now it's Grimsby 3 Newport 2

Up the U's

Operation Promotion on 21:38 - Feb 25 with 807 viewsdurham_exile

Operation Promotion on 21:21 - Feb 25 by wessex_exile

Now it's Grimsby 3 Newport 2

Cheltenham 2 Northampton 1

GRIMsby 4 Newport 2

Time running out

Durham_exile

Operation Promotion on 21:44 - Feb 25 with 804 viewsdurham_exile

Operation Promotion on 21:38 - Feb 25 by durham_exile

GRIMsby 4 Newport 2

Time running out

Table updated

Swindon 34 66
Crewe 34 64
Exeter 34 63
Plymouth 34 62
Cheltenham 34 60
COL U 35 55
Northampton 35 55
Port Vale 35 55
Bradford 35 51

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Operation Promotion on 22:02 - Feb 25 with 799 viewswessex_exile

Operation Promotion on 21:38 - Feb 25 by durham_exile

GRIMsby 4 Newport 2

Time running out

Like I said, there wasn't really a terrible result for the U's tonight. Northampton throw away their game in hand and worsen their goal difference in the process. 'Nam are 5pts ahead with a game in hand, but after Saturday that might be just 2pts ahead, and if we win, then double that in terms of eroding their GD advantage. It makes Good Friday at Sixfields a massive game - hell, like you said Durham, every game is a massive game - keep winning and it's in our hands.

In other news, forget Newport and their games in hand now, it's sayonara Newport, you're sushi now.

Up the U's!
[Post edited 25 Feb 2020 22:17]

Up the U's

Operation Promotion on 22:25 - Feb 25 with 779 viewsdurham_exile

Operation Promotion on 22:02 - Feb 25 by wessex_exile

Like I said, there wasn't really a terrible result for the U's tonight. Northampton throw away their game in hand and worsen their goal difference in the process. 'Nam are 5pts ahead with a game in hand, but after Saturday that might be just 2pts ahead, and if we win, then double that in terms of eroding their GD advantage. It makes Good Friday at Sixfields a massive game - hell, like you said Durham, every game is a massive game - keep winning and it's in our hands.

In other news, forget Newport and their games in hand now, it's sayonara Newport, you're sushi now.

Up the U's!
[Post edited 25 Feb 2020 22:17]

Wessex no 87th minute Matt equaliser at Morecambe to secure top seven for the Exiles this season. Thank goodness.

Can we yet rekindle the ashes of automatic promotion. A tall order but still not mathematical impossible. 30 points from 33 piece of cake!!!!!

UTU's

Durham_exile

Operation Promotion on 22:32 - Feb 25 with 775 viewsgerry_us

A sad state of affairs when we have to pay so much attention to results of others. If we had shown some better consistency during the recent weeks we would have been sitting pretty in an automatic promotion place by now, not having to worry when we will next drop out of the play-off places.
Stressful being a U's supporter init?
Operation Promotion on 22:41 - Feb 25 with 774 viewswessex_exile

Operation Promotion on 22:32 - Feb 25 by gerry_us

A sad state of affairs when we have to pay so much attention to results of others. If we had shown some better consistency during the recent weeks we would have been sitting pretty in an automatic promotion place by now, not having to worry when we will next drop out of the play-off places.

It's always about how others do at this stage of the season Gerry, that's never changed and it never will. Even our promotion to the Championship on the last day of the season relied as much on other results as our own. It's all about positivity and belief my friend - I believe...

...but yes, stressful too.

Up the U's!

Up the U's

Operation Promotion on 23:36 - Feb 25 with 762 viewswessex_exile

Operation Promotion on 22:32 - Feb 25 by gerry_us

Incidentally, I can guarantee that supporters of every club with even the remotest mathematical chance of either promotion or avoiding relegation follow every result for every relevant match with total interest.

Up the U's

Operation Promotion on 13:00 - Feb 26 with 707 viewsnoah4x4

Operation Promotion on 23:36 - Feb 25 by wessex_exile

Incidentally, I can guarantee that supporters of every club with even the remotest mathematical chance of either promotion or avoiding relegation follow every result for every relevant match with total interest.

Bet a few Ipswich fans are losing interest.

Lambert gets five year contract; results immediately go belly up.
What odds on Lambert getting sacked with four year pay off?

Timing could be great if the U's continue to progress and gain promotion.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024