Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do real fans wear gloves? 11:21 - Feb 16 with 992 viewsnoah4x4

Have you noticed that the U's are repeatedly awful in the cold, wind, rain, but in sunshine and dry conditions can be excellent? But whatever, the weather, real fans don't wear gloves? That is because muffled thuds offer no benefit to applause and chants and hence our contribution as "twelfth man"

So why do some lazy thud players wear gloves? Goalkeeper excepted!

To me that is a sign that they don't really want to be in the pitch in poor weather, and so that proved yesterday. Like the real fans, hardy players won't wear gloves or long skin pants or socks above knees.

Yesterday, just as at windy cold Cambridge, few had a good game (except Stevenson), but those wearing gloves were the stand out "not fit to wear the shirt" candidates. So get those gloves off them McGreal and pick those that actually want to play in the rain, wind and cold. Else fans will not venture out either.

Do real fans wear gloves? on 12:09 - Feb 16 with 976 viewsMoor_Pinot

Regrettably Noah, I think you're getting dangerously close to a real truism. I'm in total agreement, who needs gloves on a wet cold day when you're running around giving your all. This management has never ever got that point across.

We're heading for eigth again - despite Wessex superb optimism on another thread - & when you reflect on our double over Swindon, hammering of Plymouth, missed penalty that avoided victory at Crewe, the win against Northampton, draw at Cheltenham and fine performances versus Exeter, contrasting with rubbish like yesterday and at Crawley, Cambridge, Stevenage, etc etc, it makes me wonder about the internal balance of the club and its culture. In 60 years I can't recall a period of such inconsistent highs and lows with no obvious assessment of or addressing of the pattern. And make no bones about it we do have some good players, probably good enough to be promoted, but like last year it's looking unlikely.

Moor Pinot

Do real fans wear gloves? on 12:10 - Feb 16 with 976 viewswessex_exile

Given Gerken did not have a particularly good game yesterday, can’t argue with your correlation.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Do real fans wear gloves? on 13:04 - Feb 16 with 970 viewsdurham_exile

Do real fans wear gloves? on 12:10 - Feb 16 by wessex_exile

Given Gerken did not have a particularly good game yesterday, can’t argue with your correlation.

I said yesterday give Ross a start and hopefully JM will respond.

Regrettably we do not have any other players Cowan-Hall excepted to come back.

The Salford game is now a must win.

Pressure is really on.

Regarding gloves for players many premier League players wear them.

This inability to win in adverse weather conditions is a recent factor.

We won 2-1 at Port Vale the last time I was there and the weather and pitch were attrocious.

I think it is down to our annual slump in form and we have served it up at the worst possible time. Last season we did the same.

Can JM motivate them for next Saturday.
Can he motivate himself I wonder.

Very disappointed of Tunbridge Wells.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Do real fans wear gloves? on 14:35 - Feb 16 with 954 viewsnoah4x4

At least we can chuckle at Porter missing a tap-in sitter for Crewe that my late granny's tortoise might have scored. Porter had all the time in the world. Was like taking a penalty with an absent goalkeeper.
Do real fans wear gloves? on 15:52 - Feb 16 with 941 viewsGOSBTS

Not sure what giving Ross a game will achieve. Gerken has been arguably our best player of the season and it's only one week since we had our best collective team performance, and a couple of weeks since Gerken's outstanding game against Swindon. For all the points he's gained us, he's allowed a mistake here and there for me.
Do real fans wear gloves? on 17:05 - Feb 16 with 934 viewsgerry_us

Do real fans wear gloves? on 15:52 - Feb 16 by GOSBTS

Not sure what giving Ross a game will achieve. Gerken has been arguably our best player of the season and it's only one week since we had our best collective team performance, and a couple of weeks since Gerken's outstanding game against Swindon. For all the points he's gained us, he's allowed a mistake here and there for me.

Excellent post Gosb.
I for one thought that bringing back Gerken was a great move and I don't believe he has disappointed and has marshalled the defence better than any of our recent keepers. Yes, Ross has great potential as a keeper and if he stays around for a couple of years he will learn a lot from Gerks and will be ready to step in when necessary. It's a well known fact that keepers mature with age...look at Banks, Clemence, Shilton ad infinitum.
Not sure that the goalkeeping position is a major problem at the moment. Most other places are, unfortunately, and especially the Boss man.
Do real fans wear gloves? on 21:33 - Feb 16 with 901 viewsnoah4x4

My original post was, of course, a tad tounge in cheek. However, why always black gloves when their boots are usually pink or orange?

More seriously, for as long as I can remember we rarely play well on raining, windy days. There has to be an explanation. Do we train too much indoors and never become acclimatised to bleak northern conditions?

It is not too long ago that the debate in these Forums was why can we never win when north of Colchester? The run of 16 games unbeaten had suggested that particular negative tide had turned. But, then, the weather prior to Christmas was above average sunny, warm, dry. Now it is wet/horrible. I have a new theory....

Of our starting XI's versus Grimsby or Vale, only three players were born ouside of London or Essex; Cohen Bramall (Crewe); Ben Stevenson (Leicester), Theo Robinson (Birmingham). Is it any coincidence these three have been our best players on recent rainy days?

I was born in Birmingham, played County Rugby in the Midlands (in the amateur era) and was brought up with coaches reinforcing a stereotype that "all southerners were softies" that don't like rain or mud. I wonder if that has any foundation? Whatever the reason, McGreal needs to find a solution.
Do real fans wear gloves? on 00:19 - Feb 17 with 885 viewsdurham_exile

Do real fans wear gloves? on 21:33 - Feb 16 by noah4x4

My original post was, of course, a tad tounge in cheek. However, why always black gloves when their boots are usually pink or orange?

More seriously, for as long as I can remember we rarely play well on raining, windy days. There has to be an explanation. Do we train too much indoors and never become acclimatised to bleak northern conditions?

It is not too long ago that the debate in these Forums was why can we never win when north of Colchester? The run of 16 games unbeaten had suggested that particular negative tide had turned. But, then, the weather prior to Christmas was above average sunny, warm, dry. Now it is wet/horrible. I have a new theory....

Of our starting XI's versus Grimsby or Vale, only three players were born ouside of London or Essex; Cohen Bramall (Crewe); Ben Stevenson (Leicester), Theo Robinson (Birmingham). Is it any coincidence these three have been our best players on recent rainy days?

I was born in Birmingham, played County Rugby in the Midlands (in the amateur era) and was brought up with coaches reinforcing a stereotype that "all southerners were softies" that don't like rain or mud. I wonder if that has any foundation? Whatever the reason, McGreal needs to find a solution.

Noah
JM was born in Birkenhead.

He's big, He's Scouse, he'll steal your council house ( as the faithful chant)

UTU's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Do real fans wear gloves? on 09:21 - Feb 17 with 870 viewsbwildered

Can't post- too wet & windy .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Do real fans wear gloves? on 19:51 - Feb 17 with 845 viewsLeadbelly

Do real fans wear gloves? on 00:19 - Feb 17 by durham_exile

Noah
JM was born in Birkenhead.

He's big, He's Scouse, he'll steal your council house ( as the faithful chant)

UTU's

Birkenhead is on the Wirral and I believe some Wirralians object to the epithet “Scouse”.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Do real fans wear gloves? on 20:09 - Feb 18 with 818 viewsnoah4x4

Watching Pompey v Exeter on TV. A really interesting statistic has just appeared.

Exeter have played 45 games this season, more than any other EFL team. Guess who has played 44, and I guess that doesn't include Essex Senior Cup.

The U's have played 34 league games plus 10 assorted cup fixtures. The recent schedule has been punishing, notwithstanding the weather. Might we simply be temporarily burnt out compared to Port Vale and Grimsby that didn't have cup runs? Senior and Poku looked exactly that in the U23s last night.

I am hoping a week for the others to recuperate will revive us at Salford.

EDIT
Just realised, Salford are playing tomorrow in this Cup. Hope they lose amid exhaustion and despair. But them winning and getting to Wembley might have an alternative effect.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2020 21:48]
Do real fans wear gloves? on 20:45 - Feb 18 with 809 viewsgerry_us

Do real fans wear gloves? on 20:09 - Feb 18 by noah4x4

Watching Pompey v Exeter on TV. A really interesting statistic has just appeared.

Exeter have played 45 games this season, more than any other EFL team. Guess who has played 44, and I guess that doesn't include Essex Senior Cup.

The U's have played 34 league games plus 10 assorted cup fixtures. The recent schedule has been punishing, notwithstanding the weather. Might we simply be temporarily burnt out compared to Port Vale and Grimsby that didn't have cup runs? Senior and Poku looked exactly that in the U23s last night.

I am hoping a week for the others to recuperate will revive us at Salford.

EDIT
Just realised, Salford are playing tomorrow in this Cup. Hope they lose amid exhaustion and despair. But them winning and getting to Wembley might have an alternative effect.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2020 21:48]

If McG thought they were burnt out why did he play them in an inconsequential U23 match in the first place. Does this maybe explain the unprecedented amount of injuries we have seen this season and latterly the sudden decline in form?
Do real fans wear gloves? on 21:56 - Feb 18 with 804 viewsnoah4x4

Do real fans wear gloves? on 20:45 - Feb 18 by gerry_us

If McG thought they were burnt out why did he play them in an inconsequential U23 match in the first place. Does this maybe explain the unprecedented amount of injuries we have seen this season and latterly the sudden decline in form?

Think he was sending an important message to Senior and Poku. Shame they didn't respond! Poor performances in U23 by both. Yet again, wearing gloves!

I personally think we have had fewer crucial injuries than in past seasons. McGreal has had to make difficult decisions as he has perhaps had too many available to select from. I don't see what he could have done better as I rarely disagree with his team selections. 16 unbeaten suggests things have been pretty good. It's only in the recent bad weather the players have let him down.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024