Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season 20:42 - Feb 21 with 1082 viewsdurham_exile

After their abject performance at Vale Park and on the back of successive defeats JM takes his charges to Moor Lane, AKA the Peninsula Stadium tomorrow.

But travellers beware, there is a Pitch Inspection at 0900hrs as a result of the volume of rainfall in the Manchester area. The all-important weather forecast for Saturday is continuing light rain with 8 degrees Celsius and some bright interludes.

I believe it would be better for the U’s if the game doesn’t go ahead. Whilst that would be disappointing for all supporters, we have had enough of wet and sodden pitches of late and perhaps things might improve for the Cheltenham home game next week.

I know that means a rescheduled game on a Tuesday night, but frankly the weather has been grim up north this week. The one exception was yesterday when my car was serviced and MOT’d at the garage at the quaintly named village of Pity Me near Durham City. The weather was dry and bright at times. But otherwise the rainfall and strong winds have continued all week. And as I pen these musings at home, the rain is very heavy and the wind strong and fearsome.

Let us be honest and say that Automatic Promotion has now gone. It is up to the U’s to battle to secure a play off place. 12 games and 36 points but frankly we still need 21 to confirm a top seven finish and 31 for automatic promotion. Recent form with three defeats in five games confirms that is a nonstarter.

The 12 “cup finals” of which we realistically need to win 7 games or equivalent to garner the 21 points or so that we need. The difference being the three games that we have lost recently.

Salford A (Inspection at 0900hrs on Saturday)
Cheltenham H
Carlisle A
Scunny H
Crewe H
Newport A
Mansfield H
Bradford A
Northampton A
Oldham H
Walsall A
FGR H

The top three places will probably be occupied by Swindon, Exeter and Plymouth, but I am sure Crewe will have a say in the final placings.

Swindon 33 63
Exeter 33 63
Crewe 33 61
Plymouth 33 61
Cheltenham 32 54
Port Vale 34 54
COL U 34 52
Northampton 33 52

Salford 34 44 (11th place)

The free weekend, if Salford does fall foul of the weather, will enable the other teams to catch up with games and thus the table will have a more accurate look.

Tomorrow League Two selected games:

Crewe v Macclesfield
Newport v Bradford
Northampton v Exeter
Plymouth v Cambridge
Swindon v Grimsby
Walsall v Port Vale

Now the good news. We have signed Miles Welch-Hayes from Macclesfield Town until the end of the 2021/22 season. A versatile defender aged 23, he will offer options at right or left back and possibly Centre Half. Welcome Miles.

Big spending Salford City Reds, the Ammies, led by Graham Alexander, provide the possible opposition tomorrow. They have just booked their EFL Trophy Final place at Wembley against Pompey after a 6-5 penalties win against the Exiles on Wednesday.

They have brought in Darron Gibson and James Wilson, both previously of Manchester United to supplement top scorer Adam Rooney with seven goals.

The disappointment last week was the manner of the defeat. Seasoned U’s supporters have seen it all before. The fact is that we have a slump in form every season and this is undoubtedly a slump. The unbeaten run had become an albatross around our necks, but three defeats in five games is simply unacceptable.

The players must respond accordingly. Simple as.

JM has hinted at changes, but I believe these are limited. Paris Cowan-Hall is sorely missed, and it is unlikely that he will be back until the final three or four games.

I would go with the following tomorrow, weather permitting:

Ross

Jackson Eastman Prosser Bramall

Pell Stevenson Comley

Robinson Norris Nouble

Subs:

Gerken Sowunmi Poku Harriott Clampin Welch-Hayes Senior

Now I know dropping Gerken might be unpopular, but Ross is an able deputy and I have to say despite his heroics Deano has contributed to some of the errors that have led to the 6 goals conceded against Grimsby and Port Vale.

The bottom line is that no one is indispensable.

I will be waiting for the decision by the Referee and if it does go ahead then I am looking forward to a new ground, but at present I reckon it will be off.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful in the event of the game being played.

For the drivers use the Park n Ride at M27 8SJ. It is only £2 per vehicle and the coaches are operated at no extra charge by Swans Travel. Tickets are £10 and £5 for Adults and Concessions.

Oh, and the scoreline — a tight game but a 1-0 Super U’s victory.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 10:01 - Feb 22 with 1036 viewsBlue4U2

All good Durham, but Welch-Hayes will not travel to Salford maybe the contract wasn't signed in time?
So there's a space on your bench for forgotten man - Tafari Moore?
U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 10:28 - Feb 22 with 1032 viewswessex_exile

U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 10:01 - Feb 22 by Blue4U2

All good Durham, but Welch-Hayes will not travel to Salford maybe the contract wasn't signed in time?

Probably more to the point, he likely hasn’t played for over 3 weeks, so will probably need a bit of work on his match fitness.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 10:54 - Feb 22 with 1024 viewsdurham_exile

U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 10:01 - Feb 22 by Blue4U2

Blue
I must be honest I had totally overlooked him.

Many thanks
UTU's

Durham_exile

U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 10:56 - Feb 22 with 1022 viewsdurham_exile

U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 10:28 - Feb 22 by wessex_exile

Probably more to the point, he likely hasn’t played for over 3 weeks, so will probably need a bit of work on his match fitness.

Wessex hope your journey is going well.

I have decided to drive and will leave at about 1130hrs.

Remember we must be careful with players who come to the club not having played for a while, they end up in Israel!!!!!!

UTU's

Durham_exile

U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 11:21 - Feb 22 with 1014 viewsgerry_us

U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 10:56 - Feb 22 by durham_exile

Wessex hope your journey is going well.

I have decided to drive and will leave at about 1130hrs.

Remember we must be careful with players who come to the club not having played for a while, they end up in Israel!!!!!!

UTU's

Can't think who you mean Peter? Explain yourself.
U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 12:52 - Feb 22 with 1004 viewsnoah4x4

U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 10:28 - Feb 22 by wessex_exile

Tafari Moore played Monday when a rampant Coventry ran rings round our U23 defence scoring 4. Main disaster was Sowhumi who gifted them a goal, then lost the plot.

We were losing 2-4 when Senior, Norris and Poku were withdrawn. On comes Fernandes showing real passion. He scores two to nail the draw. He has a higher claim to a start today than any of the afore mentioned after the dross of the last two games.

On M62. Weather dry, inspection in 15 minutes. Should be on.
U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 14:06 - Feb 22 with 990 viewsnoah4x4

Team surprises.

No Eastman; 4-4-2 Norris and Robinson.

Windy as on Everest, cold as the Yukon, drizzle like being on the Dawn Treader. But no Narnia this.
U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 15:07 - Feb 22 with 968 viewsgerry_us

U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 14:06 - Feb 22 by noah4x4

Team surprises.

No Eastman; 4-4-2 Norris and Robinson.

Windy as on Everest, cold as the Yukon, drizzle like being on the Dawn Treader. But no Narnia this.

Eastman on the bench? Crazy.
Login to get fewer ads

U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 15:49 - Feb 22 with 957 viewsnoah4x4

U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 15:07 - Feb 22 by gerry_us

Eastman on the bench? Crazy.

HT 1-2. Brilliant individual goals by Poku and Harriott Unlucky to concede.
U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 17:11 - Feb 22 with 920 viewsGOSBTS

Brilliant win on the road! Sounded hard fought in the second half, but they all count. Full credit to the U's as Salford must have been the team coming into the game with the more confidence.

Roll on next Saturday for a big game against Cheltenham!
U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 17:16 - Feb 22 with 913 viewsMoor_Pinot

U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 17:11 - Feb 22 by GOSBTS

Brilliant win on the road! Sounded hard fought in the second half, but they all count. Full credit to the U's as Salford must have been the team coming into the game with the more confidence.

Roll on next Saturday for a big game against Cheltenham!

Good toughed - out win. One of Durham 's Cup finals won. Next weekend will be interesting as we owe Cheltenham a defeat or two!

Moor Pinot

U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 17:47 - Feb 22 with 896 viewsnoah4x4

Game of two halves. Salford struggled to get out of their half in the first, same with the U’s in the second. Wind utterly spoilt things in that sense,

Talking point must be the referee. Diabolical, inconsistent, lost control. Harriott carried off, Jackson limped off, Norris limped off. Some terrible tackles went unpunished. Harry Pell jumps for ball, booked,
U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 21:10 - Feb 22 with 841 viewsdurham_exile

U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 17:47 - Feb 22 by noah4x4

Game of two halves. Salford struggled to get out of their half in the first, same with the U’s in the second. Wind utterly spoilt things in that sense,

Talking point must be the referee. Diabolical, inconsistent, lost control. Harriott carried off, Jackson limped off, Norris limped off. Some terrible tackles went unpunished. Harry Pell jumps for ball, booked,

Great to see Wessex and Noah at the game.

Kwame Poku's goal was probably the finest goal that I have seen all season.

Deserved win for the U's in atrocious conditions particularly second half.

Agree with Noah we could have three or four injuries from this game. I hope not.

Superb support with 430 of the faithful.

My thoughts tomorrow.

Bring on the Robins

Up the U's
[Post edited 22 Feb 2020 21:17]

Durham_exile

U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 21:20 - Feb 22 with 828 viewsgerry_us

U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 21:10 - Feb 22 by durham_exile

Great to see Wessex and Noah at the game.

Kwame Poku's goal was probably the finest goal that I have seen all season.

Deserved win for the U's in atrocious conditions particularly second half.

Agree with Noah we could have three or four injuries from this game. I hope not.

Superb support with 430 of the faithful.

My thoughts tomorrow.

Bring on the Robins

Up the U's
[Post edited 22 Feb 2020 21:17]

Sorry I didn't make it over to witness one of the few away wins you have attended recently! I had planned a visit but with a few problems with water and power cuts over here and the prevailing weather I decided against travelling. Roll on cricket season; improved weather.
Need another good win next week to build momentum for the remainder of the season.
U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 07:47 - Feb 23 with 776 viewsnoah4x4

U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 21:20 - Feb 22 by gerry_us

Sorry I didn't make it over to witness one of the few away wins you have attended recently! I had planned a visit but with a few problems with water and power cuts over here and the prevailing weather I decided against travelling. Roll on cricket season; improved weather.
Need another good win next week to build momentum for the remainder of the season.

Shame you missed McGreals "Finest Hour" Gerry.

I reckon it was the best win of the season.

4 - 4 -2 and direct play was exactly right for the conditions (but not great to watch). Dropping Tom Eastman for twice game saving miracle clearance off the line MOM Sowumi was inspired. Game won by two moments of individual brilliance. Poku nearly repeated his. The ball threaded through to Harriott was sublime as was Harriott's goal. That too was almost repeated. But it was batten down the hatches for a wind assisted onslaught by Salford, the like of which I don't recall.

Not once did Gerkin bowl the ball out of defence for us to lose it (as Southend did yet again yesterday). Every goal kick or catch was booted beyond the half way line. It didn't always get there in the second half and first bounce one went for a goal kick in the first. But it was sensible in the wind. Two subs were dictated by injuries, but bringing on Comley for Robinson when Salford were battering us was spot on.

(Sits back to see if Gerry takes the McGreal bait.......).
U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 09:26 - Feb 23 with 762 viewsnoah4x4

Been further thinking about this...

When Jackson limped off, went three at the back Prosser, Sowumi, Eastman. Comley on to stifle midfield. Clearly McGreal is thinking.

The second half reminded me of Stevenages defence against us. We threw the kitchen sink at Stevenage and failed to score, as did Salford against us. This was our most hard fought three points of the season.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 9:26]
U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 09:39 - Feb 23 with 753 viewswessex_exile

U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 09:26 - Feb 23 by noah4x4

Been further thinking about this...

When Jackson limped off, went three at the back Prosser, Sowumi, Eastman. Comley on to stifle midfield. Clearly McGreal is thinking.

The second half reminded me of Stevenages defence against us. We threw the kitchen sink at Stevenage and failed to score, as did Salford against us. This was our most hard fought three points of the season.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 9:26]

Hard-fought, and thoroughly deserved too.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 10:50 - Feb 23 with 734 viewsgerry_us

U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 07:47 - Feb 23 by noah4x4

Shame you missed McGreals "Finest Hour" Gerry.

I reckon it was the best win of the season.

4 - 4 -2 and direct play was exactly right for the conditions (but not great to watch). Dropping Tom Eastman for twice game saving miracle clearance off the line MOM Sowumi was inspired. Game won by two moments of individual brilliance. Poku nearly repeated his. The ball threaded through to Harriott was sublime as was Harriott's goal. That too was almost repeated. But it was batten down the hatches for a wind assisted onslaught by Salford, the like of which I don't recall.

Not once did Gerkin bowl the ball out of defence for us to lose it (as Southend did yet again yesterday). Every goal kick or catch was booted beyond the half way line. It didn't always get there in the second half and first bounce one went for a goal kick in the first. But it was sensible in the wind. Two subs were dictated by injuries, but bringing on Comley for Robinson when Salford were battering us was spot on.

(Sits back to see if Gerry takes the McGreal bait.......).

Yep...I took it.
Good to see McG actually taking an active part and credit to him for seeing the possibility. Only time will tell if he really has the acumen to take us to a higher level. The jury is still out but I remain hopeful this is a corner turned.
Cheltenham game at home will be a test for him;..... and we are into our fourth power cut in very recent times. Serves me right for living in the middle of nowhere!
U's to leave Salford City redfaced after another double this season on 19:53 - Feb 23 with 678 viewsghughes11

Not the most attractive of matches to watch on iFollow on a sunny, Sunday evening. However, what a result and game to win.

Some huge calls from McGreal that seemed to pay dividends!

Prosser played like a man possessed. Pell put himself about everywhere again and was very unlucky to get a yellow card for a clash of heads.

I couldn't believe the Salford fans were booing our players when they had to hobble off injured after every "tackle" they made. We may have to give the U23s a chance to impress versus Cheltenham due to the lack of protection from the referee!

Almost forgot to mention Gerken's point blank save at 1-0. I know a few people have been calling for Ross to start and I agree, he definitely has potential and has performed well when called upon. However, over a long season, I believe that Gerken is the correct choice for the number 1 shirt and so he proved again on Saturday!

C'mon Col U - let's still fight for the autos and settle for play-offs at worst!

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024