Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The end of the world? 11:24 - Mar 13 with 1290 viewsLeadbelly

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51867989

or just a sensible measure?

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

The end of the world? on 12:34 - Mar 13 with 1266 viewswessex_exile

I work with a number of people who do have serious underlying medical issues, and as a result are genuinely very concerned about coronavirus. I don't therefore want to be overly cynical, but I'm afraid I'm leaning towards everything going on at the moment as an overreaction. After all, workplace stress, obesity, cancer, etc., even seasonal flu, kill hundreds of thousands every year - surely we should be investing the current levels of attention (and resources) at major killers like these?

No football until April - it's like summer all over again :-(

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

The end of the world? on 12:35 - Mar 13 with 1264 viewsnoah4x4

......Is the Happy League suspended, postponed or what?

Didn’t think I would ever have empathy with Juergen Klopp!
The end of the world? on 12:57 - Mar 13 with 1253 viewsgerry_us

The end of the world? on 12:35 - Mar 13 by noah4x4

Probably just cancelled for this season I would think Noah.....! Just when I was starting my recovery to catch you.
The end of the world? on 13:20 - Mar 13 with 1251 viewsnoah4x4

The end of the world? on 12:57 - Mar 13 by gerry_us

Probably just cancelled for this season I would think Noah.....! Just when I was starting my recovery to catch you.

Think we already have a precedence....

Games postponed for snow, waterlogged pitches, too many internationals absent (etc) are all treated as null and void in the Happy League. Corona virus is a similar unexpected event, hence we should treat the missing weeks as null and void. Shame as I had a host of records in my sights.
The end of the world? on 14:29 - Mar 13 with 1230 viewsLeadbelly

The end of the world? on 12:34 - Mar 13 by wessex_exile

I work with a number of people who do have serious underlying medical issues, and as a result are genuinely very concerned about coronavirus. I don't therefore want to be overly cynical, but I'm afraid I'm leaning towards everything going on at the moment as an overreaction. After all, workplace stress, obesity, cancer, etc., even seasonal flu, kill hundreds of thousands every year - surely we should be investing the current levels of attention (and resources) at major killers like these?

No football until April - it's like summer all over again :-(

Under normal circumstances I'd agree with you 100% but I find myself in a very difficult position at the moment.

This morning one of my work colleagues was confirmed as having Covid-19 so self isolation looks highly likely. The week after next I have to attend my mother's funeral, at which there will be a number of elderly friends and relatives, at least two of whom have serious underlying health issues. One of those is my step-dad who has a seriously compromised immune system due to ongoing chemotherapy.

As things stand I don't really see how everyone can attend and also ensure we are all doing our best to stop the potential spread. Not sure how this will be resolved.

The end of the world? on 15:30 - Mar 13 with 1222 viewsmfb_cufc

The end of the world? on 12:35 - Mar 13 by noah4x4

A full report will appear on this weeks Happy League thread in due course.

mfb

The end of the world? on 10:48 - Mar 14 with 1150 viewsbwildered

Condolences LB . Matters might be taken out your hands by Councils & Funeral directors . Best wishes .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

The end of the world? on 12:29 - Mar 14 with 1145 viewswessex_exile

The end of the world? on 14:29 - Mar 13 by Leadbelly

Under normal circumstances I'd agree with you 100% but I find myself in a very difficult position at the moment.

This morning one of my work colleagues was confirmed as having Covid-19 so self isolation looks highly likely. The week after next I have to attend my mother's funeral, at which there will be a number of elderly friends and relatives, at least two of whom have serious underlying health issues. One of those is my step-dad who has a seriously compromised immune system due to ongoing chemotherapy.

As things stand I don't really see how everyone can attend and also ensure we are all doing our best to stop the potential spread. Not sure how this will be resolved.

Really sorry to hear about your Mum Whales, my sincere condolences. I do totally get the serious risk it poses to sectors of society, a very close friend and colleague of more than 20 years is in a similar position to your step-dad - the chemotherapy defeating cancer has left him with virtually zero immune system, and he's only in his 40s. He's been in self-isolation for several weeks now, and will likely have to stay there for months to come.

However you resolve your funeral arrangements dilemma, I feel certain your Mum would totally understand - best wishes chap!

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

The end of the world? on 14:20 - Mar 14 with 1131 viewsLeadbelly

The end of the world? on 12:29 - Mar 14 by wessex_exile

Really sorry to hear about your Mum Whales, my sincere condolences. I do totally get the serious risk it poses to sectors of society, a very close friend and colleague of more than 20 years is in a similar position to your step-dad - the chemotherapy defeating cancer has left him with virtually zero immune system, and he's only in his 40s. He's been in self-isolation for several weeks now, and will likely have to stay there for months to come.

However you resolve your funeral arrangements dilemma, I feel certain your Mum would totally understand - best wishes chap!

Thanks Wessex and BW.

Your friend is absolutely doing the right thing and I hope he makes a full recovery. Chemotherapy does seem to be much more effective now than a few years ago.

A further complication is my brother lives in Canada. Although he has booked flights he may not be allowed to travel, particularly the return flight as the indications are the Canadian government will follow the lead of the US in this.

The end of the world? on 16:07 - Mar 14 with 1121 viewsMoor_Pinot

My thoughts Whalers, not a good time and not good timing. I can only wish you well from afar. Take care of yourself.

Moor Pinot

The end of the world? on 17:18 - Mar 14 with 1105 viewsdurham_exile

Sincere condolences LB, I trust that everyone understands the decision taken regarding attendance at your Mother's funeral. Always difficult with elderly relatives but exacerbated by chemo worries.

Hope it goes as well as can be expected.

Take care.

Durham_exile

The end of the world? on 17:34 - Mar 14 with 1101 viewspwrightsknees

The end of the world? on 16:07 - Mar 14 by Moor_Pinot

My thoughts Whalers, not a good time and not good timing. I can only wish you well from afar. Take care of yourself.

My thoughts are with you, too, Whalers. Take good care.

I suffer from C.O.P.D. and this week, the British Lung Foundation cancelled both my exercise and singing classes. That was expected in view of us all having lung conditions, and at 73, I'm just about the youngest. Our Local History Society also cancelled a meeting and so has the Essex Society for Family History. To be honest, given the situation others are facing, my problems are little more than a slight inconvenience.

As yet, Mrs. PWK and I are trying not to over-react, but to take sensible precautions - hygiene etc. My advice to everyone is "try to do the right thing".

At least we have Wessex's excellent "Matches of Yesteryear" to entertain us in the meantime.

Please take care everyone, and Up the U's.
The end of the world? on 20:49 - Mar 14 with 1084 viewswessex_exile

The end of the world? on 17:34 - Mar 14 by pwrightsknees

My thoughts are with you, too, Whalers. Take good care.

I suffer from C.O.P.D. and this week, the British Lung Foundation cancelled both my exercise and singing classes. That was expected in view of us all having lung conditions, and at 73, I'm just about the youngest. Our Local History Society also cancelled a meeting and so has the Essex Society for Family History. To be honest, given the situation others are facing, my problems are little more than a slight inconvenience.

As yet, Mrs. PWK and I are trying not to over-react, but to take sensible precautions - hygiene etc. My advice to everyone is "try to do the right thing".

At least we have Wessex's excellent "Matches of Yesteryear" to entertain us in the meantime.

Please take care everyone, and Up the U's.

Thanks btw way PWK, very kind of you to say that. I have to say, from my own perspective, the blogs have been of real benefit to me, forcing me to exercise my grey matter, keep writing, and in the process bringing back memories that I thought I'd forgotten - most of them happy memories too!

Up the U's

The end of the world? on 21:26 - Mar 14 with 1076 viewsLeadbelly

Thanks to all of you for your kind words.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024