Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Airfix Models. 21:50 - Mar 23 with 4790 viewsted_hendrix

Me lads got me a Spitfire and a bloody big Vulcan bomber for Christmas, I haven't built an Airfix model for probably 55 Years or more, gonna start putting them together tomorrow (there'll be bloody glue everywhere!!!) assuming your housebound what you gonna do?

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Airfix Models. on 22:14 - Mar 23 with 1971 viewsloftboy

Think that might be my hobby of choice if this goes on for a while, loved doing them as a kid.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Airfix Models. on 22:14 - Mar 23 with 1968 viewsBoston

Top Boys!!! There used to be an Airfix / Model shop on the corner of my street at the Broadway of East Lane / Preston Rd. Great times buying little soldiers, particularly cavalry and god knows how many Spitfires!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Airfix Models. on 22:46 - Mar 23 with 1942 viewskingo

I used to buy the historical figures with my pocket money, there was Julius Caesar, Black Prince etc. So for my birthday my dad got me The Golden Hind, which was virtually impossible with all the rigging. I might have to get another one now and see if I could do it. Let me know how yours goes Ted.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Airfix Models. on 23:11 - Mar 23 with 1915 viewsTacticalR

My only involvement with Airfix was pulling a plane my dad made to pieces trying to get the pilot out. I was very young.

Air hostess clique

Airfix Models. on 23:15 - Mar 23 with 1899 viewsHantsR

I used to have a bedroom full of flying Airfix planes hung up on fishing line with red cellophane blazing from the cannons. HMS Hood was often sunk in the bath. I've since help build and paint them for my boys and more recently grandsons. The old instructions were far better as I learned terms like nacelles, cowlings, fuselage and ailerons ... locate and cement.
Airfix Models. on 23:15 - Mar 23 with 1899 viewsJuzzie

My brother and i would build the planes with a banger (bought in bulk from one of the school Calais day trips) inside. We’d just do a bit of spot gluing along the fuselage so they would be easy to blow up and rebuild again.
Airfix Models. on 23:31 - Mar 23 with 1880 viewsted_hendrix

The spitfire now comes complete with four small paint pots/brush and glue, from memory I always messed up the bloody propeller and undercarriage both of which should move freely but I always seemed to accidentally glue them stuck tight.
The Vulcan is one hell of a model, the box is bloody massive, the much smaller spitfire is gonna be a trial run, sort of a test flight.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Airfix Models. on 23:33 - Mar 23 with 1880 viewswombat

Airfix Models. on 23:15 - Mar 23 by Juzzie

My brother and i would build the planes with a banger (bought in bulk from one of the school Calais day trips) inside. We’d just do a bit of spot gluing along the fuselage so they would be easy to blow up and rebuild again.

Haven’t done for yonks great fun trying to unstick your fingers from a spit fire and leaving half the finger prints to be painted over later on . I. Actually regretting not buying some fence paint in my last visit to wickes at the weekend , that’s a sentence I honestly thought I’d never say

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Login to get fewer ads

Airfix Models. on 00:13 - Mar 24 with 1860 viewshamptonhillhoop

Airfix Models. on 23:33 - Mar 23 by wombat

Haven’t done for yonks great fun trying to unstick your fingers from a spit fire and leaving half the finger prints to be painted over later on . I. Actually regretting not buying some fence paint in my last visit to wickes at the weekend , that’s a sentence I honestly thought I’d never say

My wife bought paint about two weeks ago just in case we had lockdown, so I could decorate the dining room. Apparently I start tomorrow
Airfix Models. on 00:17 - Mar 24 with 1857 viewsSonofNorfolt

Do you know what? This might be quite a good idea in a couple of weeks.
Me 262 it is.
Then FW 190, Mosquito and Mustang..................

For the ambitious, a 1/1 version of a B-52.
Airfix Models. on 00:29 - Mar 24 with 1846 viewsBoston

Airfix Models. on 00:17 - Mar 24 by SonofNorfolt

Me 262 it is.

Planet Claire?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Airfix Models. on 00:30 - Mar 24 with 1846 viewsSonofNorfolt

Airfix Models. on 00:29 - Mar 24 by Boston

Planet Claire?

Rock Lobster of course........
Airfix Models. on 06:52 - Mar 24 with 1790 viewsBerkoRanger

For kit building that's different I can recommend Metcalfe Models card building kits. Order online, and then try building a model village or town. I've just built the cinema. Great fun.
Hoping the Beeb will show many more FA Cup great memory matches!
[Post edited 24 Mar 2020 16:16]
Airfix Models. on 07:04 - Mar 24 with 1782 viewsRs_Holy

Airfix Models. on 23:31 - Mar 23 by ted_hendrix

The spitfire now comes complete with four small paint pots/brush and glue, from memory I always messed up the bloody propeller and undercarriage both of which should move freely but I always seemed to accidentally glue them stuck tight.
The Vulcan is one hell of a model, the box is bloody massive, the much smaller spitfire is gonna be a trial run, sort of a test flight.

Undercarriage in or out Ted?
Airfix Models. on 08:53 - Mar 24 with 1714 viewsMrSheen

Eat the glue, much more fun.
Airfix Models. on 09:04 - Mar 24 with 1700 viewsHantsR

Airfix Models. on 00:17 - Mar 24 by SonofNorfolt

Me 262 it is.

I think I've got one in my Love Shack?

In my garage, I've still got a secret hoard of old Airfix models, Mrs Hants thinks I've thrown them away. HMS Victorious c/w Fairey Gannet, Sea Vixen and Scimitar planes has just collapsed so I'm going to hide that in the same box. Sad or what?
Airfix Models. on 09:09 - Mar 24 with 1695 viewsMrSheen

Airfix Models. on 07:04 - Mar 24 by Rs_Holy

Undercarriage in or out Ted?

Nursing home euphemism.
Airfix Models. on 10:00 - Mar 24 with 1670 viewsToast_R

I hate superglue, even when you're trying to be ultra careful the sh*t gets everywhere. Shame as I'd like to have that steady mindset to build models, I love tanks.
Airfix Models. on 10:20 - Mar 24 with 1647 viewsLythamR

used to love doing Airfix models with my dad the ones that stick in my mind were

Mig 15
English Electric Lightening
Hurricane
Sopwith Camel
Wellington Bomber
Golden Hind
Cutty Sark.

I can smell the glue and the paint just typing this
Airfix Models. on 10:32 - Mar 24 with 1644 viewskingo

Airfix Models. on 10:20 - Mar 24 by LythamR

used to love doing Airfix models with my dad the ones that stick in my mind were

Mig 15
English Electric Lightening
Hurricane
Sopwith Camel
Wellington Bomber
Golden Hind
Cutty Sark.

I can smell the glue and the paint just typing this

Did you finish the Golden Hind ? I never did. I used to love my Lightning with that nose cone.Lancaster bomber wasn't bad either
[Post edited 24 Mar 2020 10:33]

Airfix Models. on 11:05 - Mar 24 with 1627 viewsjohncharles

Short Sunderland flying boat.

Strong and stable my arse.

Airfix Models. on 11:18 - Mar 24 with 1621 viewsLythamR

Airfix Models. on 10:32 - Mar 24 by kingo

Did you finish the Golden Hind ? I never did. I used to love my Lightning with that nose cone.Lancaster bomber wasn't bad either
[Post edited 24 Mar 2020 10:33]

We did finish the Golden Hind, well to be perfectly honest my dad did i was only about 10 and remember the rigging being a pain

For some reason the lightening was the one i kept for many years, that aircraft really grabbed my imagination, the nose was definitely part of it.
Airfix Models. on 11:50 - Mar 24 with 1603 viewskingo

Airfix Models. on 11:18 - Mar 24 by LythamR

We did finish the Golden Hind, well to be perfectly honest my dad did i was only about 10 and remember the rigging being a pain

For some reason the lightening was the one i kept for many years, that aircraft really grabbed my imagination, the nose was definitely part of it.

The rigging did for me. Great memories though. I used to spend most of my money on Airfix, either the various models or the miniature soldiers.Saturday morning, I would do my jobs, get my pocket money and walk up to the toy shop on Kensal Rise, back home with my Airfix box.

Airfix Models. on 12:02 - Mar 24 with 1586 viewsHantsR

Airfix Models. on 11:05 - Mar 24 by johncharles

Short Sunderland flying boat.

I think the Sunderland and Bristol Freighter were the two largest 1/72 scale planes. There was a shop in Bromley, (Dalton Stephens, top of Masons Hill for any locals?) whose shop window I always stopped at to see the latest in Airfix models.

I made a Handley Page Heyford (maybe not Airfix?) for my sons about 30 years ago, took great care over the bi-plane struts and carefully painted the crew, c/w sheepskin collars. It looked fantastic and it was such a pity as it gradually fell apart due to swipes by Mrs Hants' duster.

I wish I'd kept the first model I ever made, the SS Southern Cross. Worth a lot of money if in good nick and in kit form, a fortune as the blueprints got lost.
Airfix Models. on 12:24 - Mar 24 with 1572 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Airfix Models. on 11:50 - Mar 24 by kingo

The rigging did for me. Great memories though. I used to spend most of my money on Airfix, either the various models or the miniature soldiers.Saturday morning, I would do my jobs, get my pocket money and walk up to the toy shop on Kensal Rise, back home with my Airfix box.

Ah for me it used to be spending my pocket money on a kit or soldiers, in Raycliff's, on the Harrow Road by the halfpenny steps.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024