Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colour change . 19:43 - Mar 24 with 733 viewsbwildered

Notice that the U's played in their away kit of all red at Goodison Park against Everton in the FA cup quater final in 1971, so why did the current league champions also play the their way stripe of yellow and blue instead of the tradional blue and white ?
[Post edited 24 Mar 2020 19:45]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Colour change . on 02:43 - Mar 25 with 690 viewspwrightsknees

In those far off days, BW, the FA rule for Cup matches was that, if there was a colour clash, BOTH teams had to change.
Colour change . on 09:51 - Mar 25 with 664 viewspwrightsknees

Illustrating the point further, U's were drawn at home to West Brom in the 1967/8 F.A. Cup 3rd Round January 1968. Both teams' normal colours were, of course, blue and white stripes.

For both the first match at Layer Road, and then for the replay at the Hawthorns, the U's wore amber and black and West Brom wore red. (I was at both).

Incidentally, this is the only time that the U's were beaten by the eventual Cup winners on their way to the trophy.

Up the U's.
Colour change . on 19:30 - Mar 25 with 642 viewsdurham_exile

Colour change . on 09:51 - Mar 25 by pwrightsknees

Illustrating the point further, U's were drawn at home to West Brom in the 1967/8 F.A. Cup 3rd Round January 1968. Both teams' normal colours were, of course, blue and white stripes.

For both the first match at Layer Road, and then for the replay at the Hawthorns, the U's wore amber and black and West Brom wore red. (I was at both).

Incidentally, this is the only time that the U's were beaten by the eventual Cup winners on their way to the trophy.

Up the U's.

PWK a very interesting post.

I didn't know that we wore amber and black in those days as an away strip.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Colour change . on 09:57 - Mar 26 with 621 viewspwrightsknees

Colour change . on 19:30 - Mar 25 by durham_exile

PWK a very interesting post.

I didn't know that we wore amber and black in those days as an away strip.

Up the U's

As far as I know, Durham, the U's away "replacement" colour was red throughout the 1950s and 1960s.

I am guessing because I don't know, but I suspect that, because in the 1968 Cup match, West Brom were changing to red, the U's had to adopt a third colour kit - amber and black as it happened. I'm not aware that the U's wore amber and black on any other occasion, but I don't know for certain.

I hope all of you and your families are coping OK in the present circumstances Please stay safe and Up the U's.
Colour change . on 10:08 - Mar 26 with 620 viewsMoor_Pinot

Colour change . on 09:57 - Mar 26 by pwrightsknees

As far as I know, Durham, the U's away "replacement" colour was red throughout the 1950s and 1960s.

I am guessing because I don't know, but I suspect that, because in the 1968 Cup match, West Brom were changing to red, the U's had to adopt a third colour kit - amber and black as it happened. I'm not aware that the U's wore amber and black on any other occasion, but I don't know for certain.

I hope all of you and your families are coping OK in the present circumstances Please stay safe and Up the U's.

Appreciated PWK and same to you and yours. It's going to take a while I fear.

Moor Pinot

Colour change . on 17:53 - Mar 26 with 599 viewsbwildered

Thanks for the info PWK, cannot remember seeing any pictures of the WBA cup games. Did they have a pre match team photo ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Colour change . on 18:34 - Mar 26 with 597 viewsmfb_cufc

Couldn't find any footage for the 1968 FA Cup game against WBA. But ironically I found highlights of the Coco Cola Cup game from 1996, and was amazed to find we played in amber and black, in what must have been our changed strip for that season.

mfb

Colour change . on 20:04 - Mar 26 with 590 viewsmfb_cufc

While we are talking about the FA Cup I come across some footage of the Leeds movie archive from the 1970's that gave their side of that great day in 1971.

It is something I had never seen before, and due to lack of any football to watch, I thought it would be good to share it.

Part 3 that includes the second-half

[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 22:24]

mfb

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024