Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Music that Colchester have run out to 08:56 - Apr 14 with 1560 viewsJoeheadland1

Good morning everyone,

I hope this okay to post here, moderators please move or delete if necessary.

I’m part of a team at the University of Sheffield, led by Dr Chris
Stride. We've published a number of academic papers and magazine
articles relating to football history, on subjects such as statues and
replica shirts (see, for example sportingstatues.com, and
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17460263.2019.1578255).

We understand that throughout most of Colchester United’s history, the team has left the tunnel to tune of “Post Horn Gallop”. However, can anyone remember instances where other songs were used in its place, both in more recently and in decades gone by?

We are after the title of the song, the artist who recorded it, and for which seasons Colchester ran out to this. Any help you can give us to piece together the different songs that your club has run out to would be hugely appreciated.

If you have any personal anecdotes around the reasons for the songs
being used, or the changes between them, that would also be fantastic.

I should also add that we are not interested in goal music, or a song
that is played at the final whistle, but just the song that is on the
tannoy system as the players enter the field.

If you think someone else may be able to help, or you have any
questions, please let us know! We would be very happy to discuss the
project.

Cheers,
Joe

Music that Colchester have run out to on 15:06 - Apr 14 with 1534 viewsnoah4x4

I've supported the U's for 15 years and don't recall ever hearing the Post Horn Gallop, albeit it was once part of our history .

In about 2010, the club bought a drum and trumpet for fans to revive this, but have never found a blue & white Louis Armstrong or Kenny Ball. We also never found a Ringo or Roger Taylor, but the guys with the drumsticks do a credible impression of a Samurai percussion group. Given our limited travelling numbers, we must be up there with the noisiest away fans.

More recently, and like so many clubs, the walk on anthem has been "up/right here, right now" which I believe is a Fat Boy Slim (Norman Cook) composition.

Folks reading this will be astonished I know such supplimentary information given my musical taste on the Victoria Inn juke box.
Music that Colchester have run out to on 15:13 - Apr 14 with 1531 viewsgerry_us

Colchester United has and always will be associated with the Post Horn Gallop and certainly since I first attended my first game in 1957. I do remember also one match where they tried to use a "live" rendition on the PHG...but it was never repeated as far as I am aware. I wonder why?
Not the same now without Layer Road and the PHG; still time moves on if only very slowly at present.
Music that Colchester have run out to on 19:29 - Apr 14 with 1512 viewsdurham_exile

Music that Colchester have run out to on 15:13 - Apr 14 by gerry_us

Colchester United has and always will be associated with the Post Horn Gallop and certainly since I first attended my first game in 1957. I do remember also one match where they tried to use a "live" rendition on the PHG...but it was never repeated as far as I am aware. I wonder why?
Not the same now without Layer Road and the PHG; still time moves on if only very slowly at present.

Leicester City still run out to the Post Horn Gallop, it is a great shame that we no longer do.

Sunderland have tried the classics with the Dance of the Knights whilst Chelsea have always entered the field to "liquidator".

Glasgow Celtic and Liverpool run out to YNWA.

I really enjoyed hearing Dirty Old Town at Salford.

I would certainly support a return to the Post Horn , it is iconic and very emotive.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Music that Colchester have run out to on 12:47 - Apr 15 with 1472 viewsnoah4x4

Think we should run out to “the only way is up” as ever since I started supporting the U’s when in the Championship it has been a slow death by a thousand cuts.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2020 12:47]
Music that Colchester have run out to on 14:37 - Apr 15 with 1461 viewsdurham_exile

Music that Colchester have run out to on 12:47 - Apr 15 by noah4x4

Think we should run out to “the only way is up” as ever since I started supporting the U’s when in the Championship it has been a slow death by a thousand cuts.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2020 12:47]

Or things can only get better.

And of course we could drink to Absent friends!!!

But bring back the Post Horn Gallop

UTU's

Durham_exile

Music that Colchester have run out to on 14:43 - Apr 15 with 1461 viewsLeadbelly

Think we should run out to "Up The U's". It's our song, everyone knows the words and many would join in creating a bit of atmosphere which is, sad to say, nothing like what it used to be.

With my other hat on, Leeds always run out to "Marching On Together" (MoT). IIt works because it's a Leeds song, everyone knows the words as it is sung often throughout games home and away and it certainly gets the party started. A version is also played at Minnesota Twins baseball games as I'm sure Gerry will confirm.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Music that Colchester have run out to on 16:55 - Apr 15 with 1449 viewspwrightsknees

The earliest I remember was Post Horn Gallop. That was 1954.

But my Dad told me that before PHG we came out to Sabre Dance, but I've never found anyone who could verify it. It's a bit late now, I reckon.

Up the U's and stay safe everyone.
Music that Colchester have run out to on 16:56 - Apr 15 with 1449 viewsnoah4x4

Koopa's "Up the U's" is a good choice. But I wonder if there is some performance rights issues (with YouTube?) as I havn't heard it in years (e,g. unless sung by South Stand), nor seen it on any juke box.

What we need is our equivant of something like the Chip Butty song of the Blades.

How about Blue Oyster Cults...

Blue, blue, blue oyster
Login to get fewer ads

Music that Colchester have run out to on 17:39 - Apr 15 with 1446 viewsgerry_us

Music that Colchester have run out to on 14:43 - Apr 15 by Leadbelly

Think we should run out to "Up The U's". It's our song, everyone knows the words and many would join in creating a bit of atmosphere which is, sad to say, nothing like what it used to be.

With my other hat on, Leeds always run out to "Marching On Together" (MoT). IIt works because it's a Leeds song, everyone knows the words as it is sung often throughout games home and away and it certainly gets the party started. A version is also played at Minnesota Twins baseball games as I'm sure Gerry will confirm.

Absolutely LB. Loved Twins; sorry don't like Leeds much..apart from the famous cup victory after where it was suggested after that they "rather let us win".
Music that Colchester have run out to on 19:22 - Apr 15 with 1435 viewsLeadbelly

Music that Colchester have run out to on 16:56 - Apr 15 by noah4x4

Koopa's "Up the U's" is a good choice. But I wonder if there is some performance rights issues (with YouTube?) as I havn't heard it in years (e,g. unless sung by South Stand), nor seen it on any juke box.

What we need is our equivant of something like the Chip Butty song of the Blades.

Blue, blue, blue oyster

I’d rather have the version by Special Duties.

The problem with anything “blue” is it has the farmyard odour of our nearest neighbours.

Music that Colchester have run out to on 12:49 - Apr 18 with 1382 viewsJoeheadland1

Music that Colchester have run out to on 16:56 - Apr 15 by noah4x4

Blue, blue, blue oyster

Thank you all for your responses - it's much appreciated and invaluable to the project.

What seasons do you all remember Koopa's "Up the U's" last being used?

It may come across as a little pedantic, but we're after these wonderful details I'm afriad!
Music that Colchester have run out to on 17:47 - Apr 18 with 1359 viewsDaniel

For the last 5 years or so we've run out to Nico & Vinz - Am I Wrong. The crappiest run out music ever, coincidently I think it's been used ever since Humes was manager.

Music that Colchester have run out to on 18:50 - Apr 18 with 1353 viewsLeadbelly

Music that Colchester have run out to on 17:47 - Apr 18 by Daniel

For the last 5 years or so we've run out to Nico & Vinz - Am I Wrong. The crappiest run out music ever, coincidently I think it's been used ever since Humes was manager.

Have we? If so I’ve never noticed. After listening to the first 30 seconds of that track, which was way more than I would have liked, I’d put money on never having heard it before.

Music that Colchester have run out to on 22:45 - Apr 18 with 1331 viewsgerry_us

Music that Colchester have run out to on 18:50 - Apr 18 by Leadbelly

Have we? If so I’ve never noticed. After listening to the first 30 seconds of that track, which was way more than I would have liked, I’d put money on never having heard it before.

If Humes and McGreal introduced an entrance song with a title "Am I Wrong" it would seem totally predictable and very relevant to their joint performances over the past few years..
Music that Colchester have run out to on 14:24 - Apr 19 with 1295 viewsnoah4x4

Music that Colchester have run out to on 18:50 - Apr 18 by Leadbelly

I don't recall it.

More recently, and like so many clubs, surely the walk on anthem has been "up/right here, right now" which I believe is a Fat Boy Slim (Norman Cook) composition. Or have I been to too many away games and it's been too long in lockdown?
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 14:25]
Music that Colchester have run out to on 14:51 - Apr 19 with 1286 viewsMoor_Pinot

Music that Colchester have run out to on 14:37 - Apr 15 by durham_exile

Or things can only get better.

And of course we could drink to Absent friends!!!

But bring back the Post Horn Gallop

UTU's

I'm all for the tradition of the PHG, especially since PWK can date it back to 1954. During this lockdown period my son,'Viking', who used to post here, has taught me how to setup a playlist using Spotify. The Post horn gallop was soon added.
I spose we could always run out to the chorus of'Fire' by Kasabian as in "we're about to be on fire" or if after a halftime teamtalk from McGreal we damned well need to be.
Keep well all of you.
Up the 'we will be back eventually U's'

Moor Pinot

Music that Colchester have run out to on 08:51 - Apr 23 with 1206 viewsbwildered

The much missed PHG seems to have been removed from the playlist since our move to WHCS/JCS. Sure that Thin Lizzy track, "The boys are back in town ," was used until the resent incumbent , for a short time .
However with the latest social distancing news, perhaps Charle Rich , " Behind closed doors " might become the new norm .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Music that Colchester have run out to on 12:26 - Apr 25 with 1162 viewspwrightsknees

Just a thought about the "disappearance" of PHG from U's entry themes.

PHG seems to have an association with hunting, hence the use by "The Foxes" (Leicester City), who like to claim it for their own.

I wonder if the hunting connection is now considered by many as "inappropriate" for the 21st Century and has been dropped by the U's to avoid controversy. Just a thought, nothing more!

In the meantime please take great care everyone, stay safe, and Up the U's
Music that Colchester have run out to on 12:47 - Apr 25 with 1155 viewsLeadbelly

Music that Colchester have run out to on 12:26 - Apr 25 by pwrightsknees

Just a thought about the "disappearance" of PHG from U's entry themes.

PHG seems to have an association with hunting, hence the use by "The Foxes" (Leicester City), who like to claim it for their own.

I wonder if the hunting connection is now considered by many as "inappropriate" for the 21st Century and has been dropped by the U's to avoid controversy. Just a thought, nothing more!

In the meantime please take great care everyone, stay safe, and Up the U's

The post horn was used to announce the arrival and departure of mail coaches. It’s somewhat larger than a typical hunting horn which is used in...err, hunting. I confess I’ve never thought of hunting when hearing the PHG but accept it may have that connotation for some. That may be the reason it’s no longer played at Col U games but I suspect it’s more to do with wanting something modern. Not all change is good though.

Music that Colchester have run out to on 10:01 - Apr 26 with 1127 viewspwrightsknees

Music that Colchester have run out to on 12:47 - Apr 25 by Leadbelly

The post horn was used to announce the arrival and departure of mail coaches. It’s somewhat larger than a typical hunting horn which is used in...err, hunting. I confess I’ve never thought of hunting when hearing the PHG but accept it may have that connotation for some. That may be the reason it’s no longer played at Col U games but I suspect it’s more to do with wanting something modern. Not all change is good though.

Thanks LB.

If I had a brain I'd be dangerous. The word "post" is a bit of a giveaway isn't it.

Anyway, I've learned something. And I think you're probably right about modernisation, too. Now back to hibernation.

Take great care everyone and stay safe.

Up the U's.
Music that Colchester have run out to on 10:33 - Apr 26 with 1122 viewsfatpatabudhabi

Hi everyone.
It has been forever and a day since I last posted. I sincerely hope that everyone is safe and well. For those that live alone, and/or do not have an outdoor space to call their own, then please take extra special care of your mental health during this time. Stay active and stay interactive if possible.

Onto music. In the early 80s, when we were for my money at our pomp, with Adcock and Friday night home football...didnt we run out to 'The A Team' for a few years? I suspect we wont have been the only ones to have done this...Thoughts?
Music that Colchester have run out to on 23:09 - Jun 9 with 712 viewsDaniel

Music that Colchester have run out to on 17:47 - Apr 18 by Daniel

I noticed they used this song for the intro to ColU TV. Someone at the club must be obsessed with this crap or it's RC literally asking for critique.
Music that Colchester have run out to on 00:17 - Jun 10 with 701 viewsLeadbelly

Music that Colchester have run out to on 23:09 - Jun 9 by Daniel

I noticed they used this song for the intro to ColU TV. Someone at the club must be obsessed with this crap or it's RC literally asking for critique.

Against my better judgement I had a quick listen again. Still bloody awful.

Music that Colchester have run out to on 09:26 - Jun 10 with 672 viewsthrillseeker

Music that Colchester have run out to on 00:17 - Jun 10 by Leadbelly

Against my better judgement I had a quick listen again. Still bloody awful.

I honestly don't recall this run out music so took a listen and I like LB I have to agree it is awful
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024