Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pomanjou 15:53 - Apr 16 with 7780 viewsHantsR

Many of you on the site will be familiar with Pomanjou, who posted quite frequently on this site until a couple of years ago. Pom (Dave Pearce) and I sat together in SAR C Block until late last season when he was too unwell to make the journey anymore and made a point of giving his ST to me for the last game or two. At Christmas I wrote to him and learned that his various illnesses were taking a serious toll. Yesterday, his son wrote to me via Clive and told me of his passing, I presume finally losing his battle with cancer.

I have sent my sincere condolences to his family, some of whom I got to know at Loftus Road (LR) when they took up empty seats near us in SAR.

It was amusing how Dave and I met because we had previously personally communicated on various topics via LFW a few times without ever meeting or really knowing each other. In 2009 I had gratefully accepted his offer of 2 tickets to an away match at Doncaster (awful game as it so happened!). I remember promising him a pint and a dodgy pie if we ever met - he never held me to that promise!

Anyway, when I took up my current QPR Season Ticket seat in South Africa Road (SAR) a few years ago, he occupied the adjacent seat. I remember being gently challenged and feeling obliged to show him my new Season Ticket to prove I was in the right place, as I was in a seat that had previously been allocated to a fellow fan with whom he had been quite friendly. I like to think we warmed to each other and during one of our subsequent friendly chats, upon learning that I live in Hampshire, he asked me, "do you post on LFW?" and I was so surprised and delighted to meet 'Pomanjou' in person!

He told me the origin of his soubriquet, Pomanjou (i.e. derived from his business importing pommes from the Loire, Anjou area) and I got the impression that he did very well from it and had a nice place in Pinner, where he also had a number of apple trees - as I do in Hampshire, so another thing in common. I admired the fact that even in his late 70s, he used to come to LR after playing tennis in the morning so he tried to stay fit, whilst fighting prostate cancer, heart attack and further illnesses that have now appear to have proven too much for his body.

I always enjoyed Dave's company and looked forward to his arrival in the SAR stand at home matches. He was an intelligent, firm but gentle man and I miss his measured observations, good humour and sometimes strong opinions, gently expressed. Most importantly, he was a strong family man and of course a dedicated QPR fan.

His posts can still be seen on this site and to read them,you would get some insight into what kind of person he was. Many readers will remember him and I'm sure we're all sad to learn of his passing. No doubt several of you might want to pay their respects on the forum and some may wish to communicate directly with Dave's family. PM me if so?

For my own part, I'm so sad at his passing and I shall miss him even more now.
Pomanjou on 16:04 - Apr 16 with 4952 viewseghamranger

Sorry to hear of his passing. A well written piece and a loss as he seemed one of the good guys.
Pomanjou on 16:08 - Apr 16 with 4918 viewsDiscodroids

RIP Pomanjou. I remember you well.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Pomanjou on 16:13 - Apr 16 with 4908 viewsNorthernr

One of the originals from this board back in the Rivals day. Often on hand with spare tickets for posters - remember he gave me one for Arsenal away and came to meet me with it in the Crown. Great fella.
Pomanjou on 16:18 - Apr 16 with 4883 viewswood_hoop

I remember Pom from many moons ago, don't think we ever met, but exchanged posts on the old Rivals board.

R.I.P to another of the RRs family
Pomanjou on 16:20 - Apr 16 with 4870 viewsted_hendrix

What a shame, I remember him well too and he always seemed to put his opinions across well without the need for abuse, he had as I recall a great way with words.

As I say what a shame RIP Pomanjou.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Pomanjou on 16:26 - Apr 16 with 4849 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Nice words Hants. Rest in peace Dave.

A bit of an eye opener. We all bicker but behind every username is a real person. I know I forget that sometimes.

All the best to his family.
Pomanjou on 16:27 - Apr 16 with 4856 viewsstowmarketrange

RIP to another Ranger and Condolences to his family and friends.
There are many posters on here that you don’t hear from for a while and wonder where they’ve gone and what they’re up to.
There are very few posters on here that I’ve ever met,but we are mostly all one family with a common interest in our club and the loss of anyone hits us hard,especially for those who know them personally.
Take care everyone and hopefully we’ll all get the chance to see our Rangers again soon.
Pomanjou on 16:43 - Apr 16 with 4812 viewsHunterhoop

I remember Pomanjou. As Clive said, one from the Ron & Simon day’s back on Rivals.

RIP, Pom.

Thanks for the message, Hants. I hope his family are coping. Your personal recollection of the man indicates what a sound gent he must have been.

Sad to lose another R.
Login to get fewer ads

Pomanjou on 16:52 - Apr 16 with 4777 viewsLblock

Damn that is really sad to read.

Condolences to all Pom's family and friends.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Pomanjou on 16:58 - Apr 16 with 4764 viewsPunteR

Sad to read that. What a shame.

I did wonder about his username.

RIP Pomanjou

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Pomanjou on 17:14 - Apr 16 with 4730 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Lovely tribute, Hants. Beautiful words.

A good Ranger gone. Always enjoyed his posts.

RIP Pom. Much love.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Pomanjou on 17:15 - Apr 16 with 4726 viewsderbyhoop

Very sad. And a lovely moving piece.

RIP

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Pomanjou on 18:15 - Apr 16 with 4626 views2Thomas2Bowles

If I remember rightly.

A Grimby supporter till he jumped on the glory hunters bandwagon known as QPR, that's suffering taken to a new level Poor bloke.

Sorry you have lost a good friend HantsR

R I P Pom and condolences to his family.

Please pass that on.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2020 18:20]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Pomanjou on 18:26 - Apr 16 with 4603 viewsAntti_Heinola

That's so sad, but what a lovely post Hants, thanks.
Pom was a great poster on here.

Bare bones.

Pomanjou on 18:29 - Apr 16 with 4588 viewsBoston

Beautifully put hants.

How unusual that he imported poms, I thought Australia had cornered that market.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2020 18:30]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Pomanjou on 18:33 - Apr 16 with 4571 viewsloftboy

RIP Pom, very sad news indeed.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Pomanjou on 18:40 - Apr 16 with 4554 viewsFredManRave

That's very sad but what a great piece of writing and remembrance to send him off with.

RIP Pom.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Pomanjou on 18:41 - Apr 16 with 4555 viewsessextaxiboy

RIP Pom,

We had a few exchanges about the stock market and investing . I suspect his investments were a little more seriously funded than mine . I will miss his take on things on the forum .
Pomanjou on 18:49 - Apr 16 with 4529 viewsflynnbo

RIP Pom.
Pomanjou on 18:50 - Apr 16 with 4525 viewsngbqpr

Remember Pom well from the Rivals days. RIP, and lovely words Hants.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Pomanjou on 19:07 - Apr 16 with 4480 viewsPhildo

RIP Pom - so much sad news at present but every life is so valuable x
Pomanjou on 19:10 - Apr 16 with 4473 viewsCiderwithRsie

Sorry to hear this, a valued poster.

Thank you Hants for a fine tribute.
Pomanjou on 19:33 - Apr 16 with 4426 viewskensalriser

Remember some good sparring with Pom on here. Probably the only person along with Chris Wright to have supported Grimsby and then QPR. RIP Pom.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Pomanjou on 20:18 - Apr 16 with 4355 viewsBklynRanger

That's very sad. A longtime stalwart who used to post a lot. Was always a man for the straight talk which I never have a problem with. Beautiful words, Hants by the way - really nice eulogy. RIP Pom, you'll be missed.
Pomanjou on 20:25 - Apr 16 with 4332 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Rest In Peace Pom

Deepest condolences to family and friends.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024