Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park 09:25 - Jun 21 with 3103 viewsdurham_exile

The equation is simple, avoid defeat at St James’ Park on Monday teatime and Colchester United will go to Wembley to contest the League Two Play Off Final on 29 June against either Cheltenham or Northampton.

OK so the game on Thursday against the Grecians was not a classic, but having watched the game in full for a second time the statistics suggest that the U’s deserved to win the game and Exeter were shown to have been too defensive minded and paid the penalty.

Colchester Exeter
Possession % 42 58
Shots 10 8
On Target 2 0
Corners 6 6
Fouls 14 13

The Colchester team was largely as expected but for Callum (Ainsley) Harriott’s omission, which we learned after the game was due to a tight quad (a legacy from that challenge at Salford I wonder).

JM went 4,2,3,1
Gerken
Jackson Eastman Prosser Bramall
Pell Stevenson
Senior Poku Nouble
Norris

Subs:
Lapslie
Sowunmi
Welch-Hayes
Robinson
Clampin
Chilvers
Ross
Cowan-Hall
Gambin

JM made four substitutions of the five that he could have made:

Robinson for Norris on 77 mins
Gambin for Senior on 78 mins
Lapslie for Stevenson on 78 mins
Cowan-Hall for Poku on 89 mins

Matt Taylor lined his Exeter team up 3,5,2:
Ward
Sweeney Martin (A) Moxey
Williams Taylor Atagana Law Sparkes
Bowman Martin

Subs:
Fisher
Randall
Maxted
Seymour
Richardson
Parkes
Collins
Jay
Randall

Taylor also made four substitutions:

Jay for Martin (enforced through injury) on 38 mins
Collins for Law on 67 mins
Dickenson for Sparkes on 77 mins
Parkes for Moxey on 78 mins

Now the pundits and several elements of the press have been sniffy about the game and Colchester but frankly I do not care. On balance we deserved to win the game. Individual brilliance from Cohen Bramall was overshadowed in the Times newspaper by some idiots who got involved in an altercation with a steward after the game whilst waiting for the team to emerge from the stadium.

Bramall’s free kicks were both of the highest order the first forcing a save from Ward the second a superb piece of skill and accuracy after a cheap free kick given away by Brennan Dickenson.

Frankly I wouldn’t change the U’s starting line up unless Harriott is fit and then he would replace Senior and I would give a more prominent role to Theo Robinson (13 minutes game time is no way long enough and he should have come on with 30 minutes to play).

JM spoke with considerable authority after the game — “we’ve won nothing yet, but it gives us an advantage “ yes spot on, now we must go to Exeter with a more positive mindset than the Grecians showed at the JobServe. We must avoid defeat, but if I were JM I would be angling for an early goal to effectively kill the tie.

The Grecians will have just over 1000 cardboard cut outs, whilst Cilla the Greyhound was our star cut out on Thursday. However, there is no home advantage with an empty stadium, and we must remember that in our planning.

Exeter eventually stayed overnight to ensure they were fresh from the 250-mile journey, we must do the same and then stay positive on Monday early evening.

The weather in Devon on Monday will be sunny and 18 degrees Celsius with light winds. Perfect for the game.

Ok so what about the Colchester performances on Thursday:

Gerken — little to do, no on target shot to save.

Jackson — active down the right side and performed competently
Eastman — I am beginning to think he is a frustrated striker, often finds himself in the danger area after a Colchester attack
Prosser — Captain sensible and strong leading the team credentials
Bramall — deserved MOTM performance brilliant free kick(s)

Poku — seemed to be stifled on the right-hand side
Pell — quiet game I want to see more leadership and forward lung busting runs
Stevenson — capable of delivering a rocket and one on Monday evening would be timely
Senior — despite what the faithful sing has an annoying habit of giving the ball away when well placed after doing the hard yards

Nouble — Big Frank worked his way into good positions but let down by poor finishing
Norris — always plays best when given copious amounts of red meat immediately before the game

Subs:
Robinson must be given more time to shine at least 30 minutes
Gambin — very lively when he came on, Sweeney felt the full forced of his left foot shot in the box!
Lapslie — Tigerish, new hair style and looked to have put on a few pounds
Cowan-Hall — great to see him back but impossible to shine when you have only five minutes at the end of the game

Callum Harriot — must play instead of Senior if deemed match fit.

Jevani (Panenka) Brown the forgotten man — will he be shipped out at the end of the season. Does he have commitment issues, what a waste of talent. Come on sort it out!

Exeter will not be as defensive; they must attack more and that will leave gaps on the counter. JM must look for an early goal and not go 11 behind the ball, which is always a mistake.

Treat the game as though it is still 0-0 and approach it with fortitude and professionalism. We have the precious lead given to us by Bramall, but instead of defending, take the game to the Grecians and we will prevail.

2-0 to the Super U’s on the evening. The defence deserves another shut out.

Wembley here we come.

Safe journey to the travelling cut outs!

Up the U’s

[Post edited 21 Jun 2020 11:30]

Durham_exile

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 21:34 - Jun 21 with 1989 viewsGOSBTS

Fantastic preview as ever Durham - hopefully this will not be your last of this season as the U's march to Wembley! I'm similarly as optimistic. I predict 1-1 or even 2-1 to the U's. We've shown big game mentality this season and I don't think it'll fail us tomorrow. We've got the pace to hit them on the counter. I could see Gambin being used to great effect to hold possession of the ball in the latter stages to see the tie out.

Excited, nervous but above all hopeful - up the U's!
Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 21:48 - Jun 21 with 1986 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 21:34 - Jun 21 by GOSBTS

Fantastic preview as ever Durham - hopefully this will not be your last of this season as the U's march to Wembley! I'm similarly as optimistic. I predict 1-1 or even 2-1 to the U's. We've shown big game mentality this season and I don't think it'll fail us tomorrow. We've got the pace to hit them on the counter. I could see Gambin being used to great effect to hold possession of the ball in the latter stages to see the tie out.

Excited, nervous but above all hopeful - up the U's!

GOSBTS it should be an exciting tea time tomorrow.

Wembley here we come.

You will also be well pleased with the result from the AMEX on Saturday.

Up the promotion seeking U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 11:41 - Jun 22 with 1943 viewswessex_exile

For those of you who may be interested, the matchday programme for tonight is available as a download. £2.99, and I'd imagine delivery must be almost immediate.

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2020/june/-exeter-city-v-colchester-matchday

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 16:33 - Jun 22 with 1879 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 11:41 - Jun 22 by wessex_exile

For those of you who may be interested, the matchday programme for tonight is available as a download. £2.99, and I'd imagine delivery must be almost immediate.

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2020/june/-exeter-city-v-colchester-matchday

Excitement building team

Gerken
Stevenson Pell
Gambin Poku Nouble
Norris

Just one change Gambin for Senior

No Harriott still unfit

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 16:53 - Jun 22 with 1874 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 16:33 - Jun 22 by durham_exile

Excitement building team

Gerken
Stevenson Pell
Gambin Poku Nouble
Norris

Just one change Gambin for Senior

No Harriott still unfit

Up the U's

On the bench

Ross
Lapslie
Sowunmi
Senior
Cowan-Hall
Welch-Hayez
Robinson
Clampin
Chilvers

Come on the U's

Wembley here we come

Durham_exile

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 17:07 - Jun 22 with 1863 viewsgerry_us

Robinson for Nouble PLEASE!
Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 17:11 - Jun 22 with 1860 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 17:07 - Jun 22 by gerry_us

Robinson to get about 30 minutes tonight

However we should have it won by then

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 17:26 - Jun 22 with 1853 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 17:11 - Jun 22 by durham_exile

Robinson to get about 30 minutes tonight

However we should have it won by then

Up the U's

Shocking start

Not happy

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 17:28 - Jun 22 with 1848 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 17:26 - Jun 22 by durham_exile

Shocking start

Not happy

Poor poor keeping
Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 17:30 - Jun 22 with 1847 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 17:28 - Jun 22 by gerry_us

Poor poor keeping

Not great defending either. Exeter putting the ball in the box at will so far.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 17:34 - Jun 22 with 1843 viewsFruitbat

Gambin needs to drop in a bit out he'll Bramhall out he's getting done too often.
Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 17:41 - Jun 22 with 1835 viewsgerry_us

We need to start playing...forwards preferably
Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 18:10 - Jun 22 with 1809 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 17:41 - Jun 22 by gerry_us

We need to start playing...forwards preferably

In fairness after a poor start we have steadied the ship.

We are capable of winning this and we will

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 18:11 - Jun 22 with 1808 viewsColukev

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 17:07 - Jun 22 by gerry_us

Gerry, Noubs has looked our best threat so far over the 2 legs. If Robinson should be on the it must be in place of Norris
Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 18:14 - Jun 22 with 1802 viewsthrillseeker

Disappointing that it took us 35-40 minutes to get going.

Pell, Nouble, Norris and Gsmbin need to strp up their performances.

Bramall attacking threat has been stopped
Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 18:32 - Jun 22 with 1784 viewsFruitbat

Oh FFS.
Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 18:33 - Jun 22 with 1783 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 18:14 - Jun 22 by thrillseeker

Disappointing that it took us 35-40 minutes to get going.

Pell, Nouble, Norris and Gsmbin need to strp up their performances.

Bramall attacking threat has been stopped

Gerken has cost us tonight

But I cannot stand Gabbidon totally biased has been

Up the U,'s

Durham_exile

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 18:37 - Jun 22 with 1761 viewsFruitbat

To be fair, you can't really argue with this scoreline. They've played better than they did on Thursday, we haven't.
Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 18:43 - Jun 22 with 1743 viewsthrillseeker

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 18:33 - Jun 22 by durham_exile

Gerken has cost us tonight

But I cannot stand Gabbidon totally biased has been

Up the U,'s

McGreal is costing us.

If he cannot see the change in Exeter's system and how they are over running our midfield he must be blind
Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 18:49 - Jun 22 with 1736 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 18:11 - Jun 22 by Colukev

Gerry, Noubs has looked our best threat so far over the 2 legs. If Robinson should be on the it must be in place of Norris

No Peter. Get him offfffff
Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 18:52 - Jun 22 with 1728 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 18:49 - Jun 22 by gerry_us

No Peter. Get him offfffff

Senior at last

Durham_exile

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 18:56 - Jun 22 with 1722 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 18:52 - Jun 22 by durham_exile

Senior at last

Gerry it was Colukev who commented not me

Surprisingly I am still seething about the poor keeping that initially cost us.

We can do this

Durham_exile

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 19:12 - Jun 22 with 1688 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 18:56 - Jun 22 by durham_exile

Gerry it was Colukev who commented not me

Surprisingly I am still seething about the poor keeping that initially cost us.

We can do this

Maybe he will come good on penalties although the way we played last 20 I fancy us to finish in extra time.
Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 19:15 - Jun 22 with 1685 viewsTheHappyGooner

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 19:12 - Jun 22 by gerry_us

Maybe he will come good on penalties although the way we played last 20 I fancy us to finish in extra time.

It’s got penalties written all
Over it and somehow Col U will win 5-3

WE ARE THE HAPPY GOONERS ! LONDONS FINEST !
Poll: The Big one v Southend - huge game - what say ye?

Super U's to be Wembley bound after impressive victory at St James' Park on 19:39 - Jun 22 with 1667 viewsFruitbat

We've offered nothing in extra time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024