Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gaffer on tonight's defeat 23:15 - Sep 18 with 1463 viewsbosh67

https://www.qpr.co.uk/videos/interviews/warburton-assesses-coventry-city-defeat/

Rightly angry and not making excuses apart from 'they're human' but the big thing is that when you defend you defend and mark players and track players. You don't mark space and we've been guilty of it game after game. It never changes.

I know it is just the second game and a friend told me that Coventry are actually a bit of a surprise package and as much as I like Warburton he really does need to somehow realise that marking space rather than players will lose us more games than it will win.

We should never have lost that game tonight but Coventry did to us what Forest threatened and we simply have to finally learn.

We need another centre forward to help Dykes out or at least change the angle of play and we need a coach in that simply works on keeping teams out. I know there are mixed views on here but if we do that Warburton will have made the best signing of the season.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 22:05 - Sep 19 with 1224 viewsCiderwithRsie

Decent interview. Proof of the pudding is whether he can change things.
Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 22:31 - Sep 19 with 1179 viewsgigiisourgod

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 22:05 - Sep 19 by CiderwithRsie

Decent interview. Proof of the pudding is whether he can change things.

Excellent interview, wonder what his thoughts on bringing a defensive coach would be? What’s Tony Adams up to these days? Or even Gerry
Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 23:58 - Sep 19 with 1132 viewsHooparoo

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 22:31 - Sep 19 by gigiisourgod

Excellent interview, wonder what his thoughts on bringing a defensive coach would be? What’s Tony Adams up to these days? Or even Gerry

Gerry Francis is a good shout. Unless he’s enjoying his retirement too much

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 00:28 - Sep 20 with 1106 viewskarl

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 22:31 - Sep 19 by gigiisourgod

I'd say someone with Gerrys experience would go nowhere near it unless what he recommends becomes the basic structure of the team.
There's never a chance he would put his name to a team protecting a vulnerable fullback like Wallace with a player like Chair. A defensive coach will insist on a wide midfielder protecting his fullback and this will be at the expense of attacking prowess, MW doesn't seem like he will offer that as an option?
I was disappointed in Chair on Friday but that was his choice when in possession of the ball, slowing down play and playing safe flat passes all the time. Playing a non defensive wide man has to involve attacking enterprise, unfortunately it was in short supply and exacerbated by the flat performances of Amos and Carroll in his (Chairs) most effective position.
His flat performance, for me, encouraged Coventry to be more expansive in the 2nd half, close him down quick and counter up the pitch putting pressure on Wallace.

One of the two best moments in my football supporting life was actually a definition of MW's defensive frailty, Scottish Cup final 2016 Rangers 2 Hibs 1 with 10 minutes to go.
92nd minute after 2 corners Rangers 2 Hibs 3.
It is definitely something he has to work on, I'm convinced he does know this and is trying to but it is clearly still a softness.
I don't want us to become a '2 banks of 4' defensive unit so will support him with the attacking philosophy but defending corners isn't part of that and there has to be a nastiness brought in, fines is crap and basically a stupid joke for me, it's pride you need not a rich boy being told he's lost 50 quid for switching off at a set piece. Don't care how much a fine is it will never be the motivation required for this, it's organisation and if you don't fulfill your role then you're out the team and I'm sure that's a bigger financial hit to them.
If players won't attack the ball, our new favourite Dykes was culpable, then that's not a fine it's a softness that's engendered through coaching imo. Is training too skill based and laugh at mistakes?

Edit. I still back MW, when we're good it's great so the disappointments can be forgotten quickly.
Just my thoughts on a couple of things
[Post edited 20 Sep 2020 0:30]
Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 00:56 - Sep 20 with 1085 viewsozexile

What no one has mentioned is the delivery from the corners for Coventry. All in the same spot causing havoc. Our corners seem to be completely random. Most hit the first man and others are played short. Need to be more consistent at both ends.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2020 1:17]
Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 01:06 - Sep 20 with 1078 viewsSharpy36

The fact that three corners in a row were all sent to the same spot, should sound alarm bells at least with the coaching staff to do better, and change things there and then.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 01:36 - Sep 20 with 1048 viewsHoopsie

With high press attacking, the defence is always going to be exposed, look at Liverpool v Leeds. The difference is they have the players and all the money and an incredible attacking prowess. What do we have? Our lone striker Dykes was mostly disassociated with our nonexistent midfield. We are still not used to playing tippy tappy football, evidenced in the first 40 minutes with all possession but little goal scoring chances or intent. And Coventry seized the initiative early second half and exposed our weakness. We lacked concentration, confidence and mentality, this early in the season where a new defence probably hasn’t gel and besides BOS and dykes, our attack just missed Hugill, Manning, Eze. But, with the Forest game, it showed they are not bad players individually, but time is needed to make this work with a stable XI and not chopped and changed every other defeat for the last few years. We need a defensive stalwart like Alan MacDonald or Terry Fenwick, have we stopped nurturing them?

Poll: Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy?

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 01:40 - Sep 20 with 1043 viewsozexile

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 01:36 - Sep 20 by Hoopsie

With high press attacking, the defence is always going to be exposed, look at Liverpool v Leeds. The difference is they have the players and all the money and an incredible attacking prowess. What do we have? Our lone striker Dykes was mostly disassociated with our nonexistent midfield. We are still not used to playing tippy tappy football, evidenced in the first 40 minutes with all possession but little goal scoring chances or intent. And Coventry seized the initiative early second half and exposed our weakness. We lacked concentration, confidence and mentality, this early in the season where a new defence probably hasn’t gel and besides BOS and dykes, our attack just missed Hugill, Manning, Eze. But, with the Forest game, it showed they are not bad players individually, but time is needed to make this work with a stable XI and not chopped and changed every other defeat for the last few years. We need a defensive stalwart like Alan MacDonald or Terry Fenwick, have we stopped nurturing them?

The thing I didn't understand was the continual backwards passing in good positions. It was just possession for the sake of possession. When we finally did find space, facing forwards in the their half we'd turn back? Why spend all that time with the ball to make space and then recycle it again when you've created it.
Login to get fewer ads

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 15:57 - Sep 20 with 848 viewsWestbourneR

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 01:40 - Sep 20 by ozexile

The thing I didn't understand was the continual backwards passing in good positions. It was just possession for the sake of possession. When we finally did find space, facing forwards in the their half we'd turn back? Why spend all that time with the ball to make space and then recycle it again when you've created it.

This is has been an issue with Warbs ball for a while. Chair is particular guilty of killing an fast attacking move by cutting inside and shuffling back wards.

For me he is definitely not a wide player and he’s not a number 10 he should move back and play in central midfield.

He’s also not that good frankly - he’s solid, spikey, technical and if he can add goals he’ll he very useful but he’s not going to be really great.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024